Commercial Hot Tub Care

GSmith

Well folks I am not able to find much regarding commercial tubs in the forum but I'm hoping there are others out there running them.

I have a cottage resort in NE Ontario. On a well system, running 4 tubs. 2 tubs are 1000 liter and 2 are 1500 liter.

2 part bromine and pucks in floater.

I can get the water balanced and have it stay clean if no ones is using them. 2 or 3 people and I can keep up usually. But when I have 5-7 people using a tub for a weekend stay I can not keep the tub clean.

I can not always shock after the first evening use because they may be using the tub the next day. But even when I do shock if there is heavy bather load I have to dump the tub by the second or third day....when they leave.

Does any one have ideas on what to use to treat the water? Is it even possible in a commercial setting to keep them clean without dumping?

Much appreciated

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

First, Having commercial units has many laws you have to follow,(at least in US) one of those is having a CPO over see you tubs. Do you have a CPO, they should know all the laws and how to keep the tubs clean. You have to go by the bather ratio load to when you have to refill. The water chemistry has to be checked every hour that the spa is open, and you should insist that the bathers take a shower before use, and no lotions or sunscreens on ect. Those are the biggest problems with dirty water, specially in commercial tubs.

As another note, being commercial tubs, are these complient with the virgina grahm baker laws? If you you better get them done soon, or face hefty fines.

Canada may have different laws, i would check with them, and get a cpo to help you get your tubs set. It will save you many headaches! good luck

• 7 months later...

First, Having commercial units has many laws you have to follow,(at least in US) one of those is having a CPO over see you tubs. Do you have a CPO, they should know all the laws and how to keep the tubs clean. You have to go by the bather ratio load to when you have to refill. The water chemistry has to be checked every hour that the spa is open, and you should insist that the bathers take a shower before use, and no lotions or sunscreens on ect. Those are the biggest problems with dirty water, specially in commercial tubs.

As another note, being commercial tubs, are these complient with the virgina grahm baker laws? If you you better get them done soon, or face hefty fines.

Canada may have different laws, i would check with them, and get a cpo to help you get your tubs set. It will save you many headaches! good luck

Sorry for taking so long in responding.

I am running a cottage resort with a hot tub at each cottage so it does not fall under the same rules a "spa" or public hot tub beside a public pool.

Yes I give the spiel about showering before using the tub to remove lotions, moisturizers and to do so in your bathing suit to remove excess laundry soap.

I can now tell those folks who use to much soap to do their laundry.

Since the tubs are not communal the tubs are checked once a day around noon so no one is caught naked just getting out of bed. Even then some people complain about the intrusion even though the tub is on the front deck.....Ya can't win for trying.

The problem is folks are in the tubs till all hours so they may be sitting 10 hours before they are treated. Oh and then there is the drinks spilt or the food dropped etc...

I am running a cottage resort with a hot tub at each cottage so it does not fall under the same rules a "spa" or public hot tub beside a public pool.

Yes I give the spiel about showering before using the tub to remove lotions, moisturizers and to do so in your bathing suit to remove excess laundry soap.

Since the tubs are not communal the tubs are checked once a day around noon so no one is caught naked just getting out of bed. Even then some people complain about the intrusion even though the tub is on the front deck.....Ya can't win for trying.

The problem is folks are in the tubs till all hours so they may be sitting 10 hours before they are treated. Oh and then there is the drinks spilt or the food dropped etc...

You might want to look into switching to chlorine and using liquid chlorine with a peristaltic dosing pump. When I was taking care of the pools and tubs and splash area for kids at a resort condo this is how we dealt with the tubs. This way chlorine is being continuously dosed into the water. The tubs should still be tested a few times a day, particularly during the daytime if they are exposed to sunlight but once you get everything adjusted it should pretty much stay clean and sanitized.

What type of filtration do you have? How often does it filter. Water bear is right, a system that feeds the chlorine to the tubs all the time would be great, but as he said, you have to test the water. Would the customers rather have you check the water, or leave vacation with a nasty rash! Also, with the heavy bather lead/hours used, you are still going to have to drain the tubs a lot. better safe than sorry, water costs less than a law suit from someone getting a rash. Good luck

You might want to look into switching to chlorine and using liquid chlorine with a peristaltic dosing pump. When I was taking care of the pools and tubs and splash area for kids at a resort condo this is how we dealt with the tubs. This way chlorine is being continuously dosed into the water. The tubs should still be tested a few times a day, particularly during the daytime if they are exposed to sunlight but once you get everything adjusted it should pretty much stay clean and sanitized.

Now there is an idea. I will have to see how that can be added to an Arctic spa tub.

most times I can keep the water clear with what I am doing now but there is always the groups that mess it up. beer labels in the tub and filter, or food you know how it can be.

What type of filtration do you have? How often does it filter. Water bear is right, a system that feeds the chlorine to the tubs all the time would be great, but as he said, you have to test the water. Would the customers rather have you check the water, or leave vacation with a nasty rash! Also, with the heavy bather lead/hours used, you are still going to have to drain the tubs a lot. better safe than sorry, water costs less than a law suit from someone getting a rash. Good luck

What ever the standard Arctic Spa tub has. A skim filter. It filters every 6 hours if no buttons are touched otherwise it filter as it runs. I can change the duration of the filtering but not the frequency.

I have had only one complaint of a rash and I believe they went into the tub to early after shocking it. They left a note so I never got to talk to them about it but she did mention she was sensitive to Bromine.

I have to be very careful about dumping tubs. I am on a well and do not have large amounts of water to mess with.

I think I need to be swapping filters out a lot more often as well.

What do you all suggest for cleaning filters?

I would turn the duration of the filter time up when you have several people using the tub. Some people use TSP to clean their filters, i personally like omni filter cleaner or sea klear filter cleaner. it rinses out much easier. rinse the filters out well, then soak in solution at least overnight. With that amount of people, it may help you if you use a clarifier to help collect up the gunk. Be careful which ones you use, some cause a gooey mess on the filter.

Artic has salt systems for their tubs now,(they create chlorine or bromine) maybe you could check to see if one could be added after market, i know we can with ours on our tubs, you still will have to shock frequently with heavy use. Your one bather that complained in a note was most likley a sensitivity, true spa itch takes a bit to show up.

personally for those that abuse the tub, such as beer labels, garbage ect, you should have in your lease an extra fee to clean that out, make it a decent sized one, and they have to sign. bet they may be less apt to treat the tub like a swamp. We have several customers that have rental homes that do this and it has helped a bit.

I would turn the duration of the filter time up when you have several people using the tub. Some people use TSP to clean their filters, i personally like omni filter cleaner or sea klear filter cleaner. it rinses out much easier. rinse the filters out well, then soak in solution at least overnight. With that amount of people, it may help you if you use a clarifier to help collect up the gunk. Be careful which ones you use, some cause a gooey mess on the filter.

Artic has salt systems for their tubs now,(they create chlorine or bromine) maybe you could check to see if one could be added after market, i know we can with ours on our tubs, you still will have to shock frequently with heavy use. Your one bather that complained in a note was most likley a sensitivity, true spa itch takes a bit to show up.

personally for those that abuse the tub, such as beer labels, garbage ect, you should have in your lease an extra fee to clean that out, make it a decent sized one, and they have to sign. bet they may be less apt to treat the tub like a swamp. We have several customers that have rental homes that do this and it has helped a bit.

Yes we did the same charging a cleaning fee for failure to leave it in reasonable condition. We even had to have a separate $150 fee for pet clean up around the outside of the cottage to ensure poop and scoop.

I have been trying TSP as well and yes it needs very good rinsing after for sure. Never heard of those other products maybe not by that brand name up here. I hate having to get a cleaner from the Spa stores because they cost so much more.

Ah well