Taking The Plunge

CT-Mike

Well,

I have been lurking and reading here for awhile, and finally decided to join. Seems to be a great forum with loads of helpful information.

After several years of hemming and hawing, the wife put her foot down and wants a hot tub now. We have been doing some looking for the last couple of weeks, and originally put a deposit down on a Hotspot Relay. After more research we decided we wanted one a little bigger and with a circ pump. So last night we changed our deposit to a Cantabria leftover from last year. The dealer was very good about this, even though he had ordered the Relay in the color combination we wanted.

I have a skid steer being delivered today so I can start prepping a 12' x 12' concrete pad and get it curing so we can take delivery in a couple of weeks. can't wait to get this thing up and running.

Now I just need to start doing some reading on the chemistry side of the house.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

The electric is done, and the concrete was poured today. Once it cures I am thinking about coating it with a two-part epoxy paint to keep water from penetrating and then freezing during the winter. Any thoughts on this?

Also I have been doing a lot of reading on the chemistry side of the house and the booklet that came with the K-2006. All of this reading has me thinking about installing an outdoor shower for pre-soak rinsing, and post-soak rinsing to remove chlorine from the skin prior to going to bed. Obviously an outdoor shower wouldn't be much good during freezing weather for a pre-rinse.

Anyone have an outdoor shower or thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Put a smooth finish on the concrete and you don't have to worry about sealing with epoxy.

I want to put an outdoor shower near my spa, just for the coolness. We don't shower before or after soaking, We used to, but haven't noticed any difference in, chlorine usage or skin dryness.

Dave

Well,

The electric is done, and the concrete was poured today. Once it cures I am thinking about coating it with a two-part epoxy paint to keep water from penetrating and then freezing during the winter. Any thoughts on this?

Also I have been doing a lot of reading on the chemistry side of the house and the booklet that came with the K-2006. All of this reading has me thinking about installing an outdoor shower for pre-soak rinsing, and post-soak rinsing to remove chlorine from the skin prior to going to bed. Obviously an outdoor shower wouldn't be much good during freezing weather for a pre-rinse.

Anyone have an outdoor shower or thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Can't give you any concrete advice, my tub is on a deck, but I am planning on installing an out shower (with hot & cold faucets below) out there too. I live in a very cold climate, so it would only be used as a human shower during our short summer. So I am installing it, not so much to rinse off before soaking but for several other things. 1- I am often outside working & get filthy, and my wife does not let me back in the house, so it would be handy to rinse off right outside (private wooded yard) :rolleyes: . 2- While I never feel any need to rinse off after soaking, woman seem to want to (they have much better sniffers than men), so this would let them do it right there. 3- Having Hot/Cold faucets right next to the tub would make adding water or refilling during the winter much easier than running a hose from the garage through all that snow. BTW, I have hot/cold water in the garage, and use the hot for refilling, figure it's cheaper to use our home gas water heater, than to add ice cold water to the tub and force the tub to heat it.....

Hope this helps, Randy

Dave & Randy,

Thanks for the input. Randy, how do you ensure that your outdoor lines are dry to keep them from freezing/bursting in the winter? I am thinking of putting drain valves in the basement downstream of outdoor shower isolation valves. That way I can isolate in late fall, drain, and blow down with air from the shower to the basement drains to ensure that everything is dry.

Does it sound like this would work?

Dave & Randy,

Thanks for the input. Randy, how do you ensure that your outdoor lines are dry to keep them from freezing/bursting in the winter? I am thinking of putting drain valves in the basement downstream of outdoor shower isolation valves. That way I can isolate in late fall, drain, and blow down with air from the shower to the basement drains to ensure that everything is dry.

That sounds like it will work fine. It located correctly you won't even need to blow down as suction can be our friend.

Dave & Randy,

Exactly what I was thinking....and if you have a little bit of slope backwards towards your drains within the house, don't see why you should have to blow them out, either.

Randy

Exactly what I was thinking....and if you have a little bit of slope backwards towards your drains within the house, don't see why you should have to blow them out, either.

Randy

Unfortunately I won't be able to slope the lines back towards the basement. I plan on burying them in a trench to get them out to the shower. Then they will need to turn upwards along the foundation to penetrate through the house rim joist to get inside. I don't feel like boring a hole through the concrete foundation and taking a chance that water could penetrate through into the basement.

Thanks again for the replies.

Mike

On another topic, I am also looking at adding music to the deck to enjoy while tubbing. Anyone own or have any experience with the Sonos system? I am looking at the ZonePlayer ZP120, the CR200 remote, and a set of outdoor speakers. Instead of the CR200 remote ($350), I may go with an iPod Touch (free app to control Sonos), and a waterproof Otterbox case that way I don't have to worry about dropping the remote in the hot tub.

This system was recommended by the guy that owns the local audio/visual shop (not Best Buy!) and I am looking for input before dropping the money. Basically all of my music is on my home network, so I need something to stream it. I don't just want to add 'B' speakers to the amp because then inside/outside would be limited to the same music/volume.

Any other options/systems that will do what I am looking for?

Thanks again,

Mike

On another topic, I am also looking at adding music to the deck to enjoy while tubbing. Anyone own or have any experience with the Sonos system? I am looking at the ZonePlayer ZP120, the CR200 remote, and a set of outdoor speakers. Instead of the CR200 remote ($350), I may go with an iPod Touch (free app to control Sonos), and a waterproof Otterbox case that way I don't have to worry about dropping the remote in the hot tub.

This system was recommended by the guy that owns the local audio/visual shop (not Best Buy!) and I am looking for input before dropping the money. Basically all of my music is on my home network, so I need something to stream it. I don't just want to add 'B' speakers to the amp because then inside/outside would be limited to the same music/volume.

Any other options/systems that will do what I am looking for?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, I posted these a few weeks ago

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-SPK-...7634&sr=8-7

I'm really happy with these, I hook up the transmitter to our PC headphones jack and output Pandora.com or iTunes. There's not huge bass and the range is closer to 50 feet vs the 150 advertised, but for outdoor background music it's fantastic.

DK117

DK117,

Those seem like they would work great, but they don't seem to give the option of changing tracks/volume while outside in the tub. I guess I could put on a playlist prior to tubbing, but that just doesn't account for the wife changing her mind.

Thanks,

Mike

Well today I purchased a Sonos system and got it installed with some Niles speakers out on the deck for music while tubbing. The concrete is cured, the electrical is ready, and the tub is being delivered on the 24th.

I can't wait.

PS: If anyone is looking to add music to your house, I highly recommend Sonos. I little spendy, but very flexible and extremely easy to setup.