Aqua Flow Xp2 Pump. Cracked Suction Cover..4 Hp?

Number11

i recently purchased a home with a leaky hot tub, and am eager to fix it up and getting it running while it is still somewhat cold outside.

I found what i believe is the main source of the leaks, in one of the two aqua flow xp2 pumps.

I am a little worried the entire pump may be ruined as I found a ping pong ball and a stiff plastic label inside the impeller. It seemed like it could still turn even with the debris, though not quite as easily as it should.

The tub was not winterized, and the only visible damage on the leaky pump is the suction cover- it is cracked. I am thinking I may be able to glue and clamp it and possibly salvage the part. I dont really want to shell out 100 dollars for a whole new wet end, as I am not entirely sure it is worth it... But there is some rust on the motor shaft towards the wet end, leading me to believe the seals beneath the impeller may be shot as well. I don't have a pair of vice grips (yet) and removing the impeller has been next to impossible... I tried putting some wd-40 around the rusty area, but no luck getting the impeller off yet. The O-ring on the suction cover seems to be in good shape, so I kinda assume the rest are fine, and perhaps the rust is just from the moisture from the cracked suction cover.

I have also not bothered trying to turn the tub on, as it simply wont hold much water, and it just didn't seem like a great idea.

I looked around for new wet ends, but they specify pump hp... 1.5,2 and 3 as i recall, but my emerson motor says it is 4 "spl" hp... not sure how i could have a 4hp motor if they only come in powers between 1.5 and 3. It is an older pump. I read about a guy with an xp2 motor rated to 5hp...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

update:

Well the vise grips helped, but the impeller will still not budge. I'm thinking the shaft and impeller have completely rusted together.

I used pvc/abs cement to glue the crack in the suction cover. It says it only takes 2 hours to cure, so I will put on another coat tonight and then try it out tomorrow.

i recently purchased a home with a leaky hot tub, and am eager to fix it up and getting it running while it is still somewhat cold outside.

I found what i believe is the main source of the leaks, in one of the two aqua flow xp2 pumps.

I am a little worried the entire pump may be ruined as I found a ping pong ball and a stiff plastic label inside the impeller. It seemed like it could still turn even with the debris, though not quite as easily as it should.

The tub was not winterized, and the only visible damage on the leaky pump is the suction cover- it is cracked. I am thinking I may be able to glue and clamp it and possibly salvage the part. I dont really want to shell out 100 dollars for a whole new wet end, as I am not entirely sure it is worth it... But there is some rust on the motor shaft towards the wet end, leading me to believe the seals beneath the impeller may be shot as well. I don't have a pair of vice grips (yet) and removing the impeller has been next to impossible... I tried putting some wd-40 around the rusty area, but no luck getting the impeller off yet. The O-ring on the suction cover seems to be in good shape, so I kinda assume the rest are fine, and perhaps the rust is just from the moisture from the cracked suction cover.

I have also not bothered trying to turn the tub on, as it simply wont hold much water, and it just didn't seem like a great idea.

I looked around for new wet ends, but they specify pump hp... 1.5,2 and 3 as i recall, but my emerson motor says it is 4 "spl" hp... not sure how i could have a 4hp motor if they only come in powers between 1.5 and 3. It is an older pump. I read about a guy with an xp2 motor rated to 5hp...

update:

Well the vise grips helped, but the impeller will still not budge. I'm thinking the shaft and impeller have completely rusted together.

I used pvc/abs cement to glue the crack in the suction cover. It says it only takes 2 hours to cure, so I will put on another coat tonight and then try it out tomorrow.

Hold the opposite end of the shaft under the housing on the motor with a wrench or screwdriver depending, and turn the impellor left.

update:

Hold the opposite end of the shaft under the housing on the motor with a wrench or screwdriver depending, and turn the impellor left.

You can get just the suction cover

http://www.epoolshop.com/aquafloflo-master...variation=10673

Think of that part as an adapter from plastic glue to threaded. May be found locally at a plumbing supply.

update:

You can get just the suction cover

http://www.epoolshop.com/aquafloflo-master...variation=10673

Well I talked to a local dealer and he told me that gluing the suction cover is a bad idea, and that under pressure it will break. He advised me to go ahead and get a wet end. I only trust him because he didn't try and sell me a wet end through his shop.

Now i am wondering which wet end to buy. The motor says 4hp, but the wet ends only come in 1.5,2 and 3 hp. The tub is a sun valley "aspen". A very helpful lady from spaparts.net told me that with the amperage of the motor, we can determine which wet end to order...

Well I talked to a local dealer and he told me that gluing the suction cover is a bad idea, and that under pressure it will break. He advised me to go ahead and get a wet end. I only trust him because he didn't try and sell me a wet end through his shop.

Now i am wondering which wet end to buy. The motor says 4hp, but the wet ends only come in 1.5,2 and 3 hp. The tub is a sun valley "aspen". A very helpful lady from spaparts.net told me that with the amperage of the motor, we can determine which wet end to order...

The XP2 pumps come in a 48 frame or a 56 frame configuration. The proper HP can be determined from the amperage listed on the motor tag.

John

ah. 8.6/2.8 amps... i found a manual that has a matching guide but only for 56 frame. The 48 frame is not on the list.

http://www.poolandspastuff.com/Manuals/XP2.pdf

Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate it!!

edit:

I still can't seem to get the impeller off. I have sprayed wd-40 on every hour or so about 5 or 6 times. May need to get a better penetrating oil. I am also a little worried that I may have marred the exposed shaft near the wet end with my vise grips to the point where it may rust easily... Think I should coat it in some kind of silicone paint or something?

I have tried the towel method of jamming a towel in the impeller and unscrewing the shaft instead of the impeller, but the towel wont stick in the impeller at all. Don't know quite what to do now while I wait for my wet end... and i am still not sure which to order...

Thanks again guys!!!

Wait! I have gotten the impeller off!! The many many sprays of wd-40 did the trick, and it came right off!! hurray! The seals look like they are in great shape, so maybe I dont really need a whole new wet end. There is a small plastic sheath that extends past the female threads on the impeller and it is cracked.. Everything else looks like its in good shape though... I am convinced the glue might just hold under pressure. Again, the glue is rated for 180 psi.

The drain plug also broke. I am a little curious about this as the manuals online make the drain plug look like.. well a plug. Mine has a 3/4" bolt with a 1/4" nozzle and a hose was attached to this part, and it looks like it ran to the corner with the filter. It seems like mine actually regularly pushes water, tho small amounts, through the drain, which means it isn't a plug at all.

I am going to go to my local dealer tomorrow with the pump, and see what he thinks. I'm also going to go to the hardware store to try and find a bolt that will fit in the drain to act as a drain plug. If my drain is functioning as more than a drain, will it be bad to just plug it?

Progress!!

Edit:

Part number for the suction cover is confusing me. I think I may try and order one just to be safe. 91231605 is what is stamped on there, and when googled, produces a ton of hits, and when I follow the links the last diget changes to read 91231606... im confused and dont want to order the wrong part...

Wait! I have gotten the impeller off!! The many many sprays of wd-40 did the trick, and it came right off!! hurray! The seals look like they are in great shape, so maybe I dont really need a whole new wet end. There is a small plastic sheath that extends past the female threads on the impeller and it is cracked.. Everything else looks like its in good shape though... I am convinced the glue might just hold under pressure. Again, the glue is rated for 180 psi.

The drain plug also broke. I am a little curious about this as the manuals online make the drain plug look like.. well a plug. Mine has a 3/4" bolt with a 1/4" nozzle and a hose was attached to this part, and it looks like it ran to the corner with the filter. It seems like mine actually regularly pushes water, tho small amounts, through the drain, which means it isn't a plug at all.

I am going to go to my local dealer tomorrow with the pump, and see what he thinks. I'm also going to go to the hardware store to try and find a bolt that will fit in the drain to act as a drain plug. If my drain is functioning as more than a drain, will it be bad to just plug it?

Progress!!

Edit:

Part number for the suction cover is confusing me. I think I may try and order one just to be safe. 91231605 is what is stamped on there, and when googled, produces a ton of hits, and when I follow the links the last diget changes to read 91231606... im confused and dont want to order the wrong part...

The printed part number on the piece form Aqua Flo most of the time do not have the last digit. Also some part numbers have been changed. All covers for all HP will work with a XP2 wet end. Replace the seal too the generic is PS200. The letters might be different but the 200 will be the same.

Progress!!

Edit:

My suggestion is to REPLACE the cracked volute, any other cracked components, the shaft seal and the large o-ring. Then, plumb it back up exactly as you found it. If this could possibly be freeze damage, I strongly suggest replacing the entire wet end. But that's me.

John

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!!

I got a new wet end today. Paid a little too much for it, but now i can hold the local dealer accountable.

I reinstalled the pump. No leaks! everything is bone dry! great news.

I sat and watched the tub fill. Took nearly two hours. It was thrilling. :)

The jets will not turn on. I get a variety of error codes, and am currently trying to figure out exactly what they mean. I have managed to make sense of most of them, but am still not sure what needs to be done to fix the bugger.

On turning on the tub, The panel says 63-23-34-pr, pausing on each for 5 seconds or so. After holding jet1 down, i get Sn-60 repeating, again alternating for about 5 seconds each.

After a few minnutes it goes to DR, and then turns off.

The only reference material i could find is from dynasty spas, the manufacturer of the sun valley series....

http://dynastyspas.com/portals/0/owner/Qui...1JUNE05_QRC.pdf