Researching Hot Tubs

mike3446

My first post, I've been reading this forum for a week and see some great advice for a novice like myself as i think about upgrading from the portable hot tub that I own.

I'm considering Caldera, D1, Tiger River and Marquis. I did contact Thermospa but I do not like their business model -- I am not buying a product that I can't wet test.

This isn't as easy as buying a car because there is very little pricing information available up-front, so it is hard to independently compare and contrast products.

Besides a site like this, are there any places I can go on the web to research spas and hot tubs that are not advocates for the dealers?, i.e. A Consumer Reports type of site? I'm looking for sources that can give me information that will help me decide if the price is right, the warranty is good, the product is reliable, etc. The other part of my research will involve evaluating the dealer and I plan to start with the BBB and go from there.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I have not been able to find anything like a consumers report either. The brands you mention are some brands that seem to be very good along with Hot Srpings and Sundance. I believe Tiger River is made by the Watkins company, the same as Hot Springs with Hot Springs being their top of the line.

I don't believe that there are any 'independent' reviews sites of spas. So far, this specific site has been the most helpful and there are some 'pros' who contribute in a positive way! I have found a few places where you can read 'owner reviews' of spas but i only stumble on those when i do a search that says "XYZ model spa review". This type of search seems to work best when you narrow your choices down a little.

As others have mentioned, one of the most important considerations with your purchase is dealer support. I ruled out 2 brands of well respected spas because of less than excellent experiences with the dealer, as well as hearing 'horror stories' of people who had purchased POOLS at those same dealers (i.e. excellent sales, but terrible follow up, etc).

I am going to wet test the D1 Californian next week and unless I find that I really don't like it, i will probably buy it. So my best advice (not that it's worth much) is to take your time and see what's out there, find out what you can about both the BRAND and the dealer support, wet test and then choose!

Good luck!

A few months back I also starting researching hot tubs! I over research everything and have looked very hard for information on tubs! I think you will find that this site will be your best tool! You really can't find much on other sites and consumers report has not done a hot tub review!

Just keep visiting this site - I found the search option very helpful on this site! I typed in all the tub models I was looking at and found lots and lots of posts that answered many of my questions! good luck!

My first post, I've been reading this forum for a week and see some great advice for a novice like myself as i think about upgrading from the portable hot tub that I own.

I'm considering Caldera, D1, Tiger River and Marquis. I did contact Thermospa but I do not like their business model -- I am not buying a product that I can't wet test.

This isn't as easy as buying a car because there is very little pricing information available up-front, so it is hard to independently compare and contrast products.

Besides a site like this, are there any places I can go on the web to research spas and hot tubs that are not advocates for the dealers?, i.e. A Consumer Reports type of site? I'm looking for sources that can give me information that will help me decide if the price is right, the warranty is good, the product is reliable, etc. The other part of my research will involve evaluating the dealer and I plan to start with the BBB and go from there.

There are no "Independent Reviews" Even those presented by owners can be rather biased, especialy if they are new owners. Those who have been around the industry or long term owners/users will tell you those are all good brands and steering away from Thermospa is a good choice on your part. Sit in the ones you can afford and are interested in and while your doing that feel out the dealer. Then come back and let us know what your choices are.

There are a few sites out there that appear to give reviews, however as far as I am aware the spa companies pay for these.

You are on the right track when you say you want to wet test, then see if you feel happy with the dealer.