Someone Help

baron

I need someones advise. I have a costco Plantinum II Spa. TOnight in turning on pump 1, it began to "surge". I attempted to turn the pump off, no luck it would not turn off. I turned off main power and attempted to re "prime", only to have the same thing continue to happen.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this before? I have a email into the factory but if any of you have worked with their customer service it is a joke!!!Please help. Email me direct at BaronColeman@comcast.net. Thanks.

I need someones advise. I have a costco Plantinum II Spa. TOnight in turning on pump 1, it began to "surge". I attempted to turn the pump off, no luck it would not turn off. I turned off main power and attempted to re "prime", only to have the same thing continue to happen.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this before? I have a email into the factory but if any of you have worked with their customer service it is a joke!!!Please help. Email me direct at BaronColeman@comcast.net. Thanks.

Pump 1 is a two-speed pump that switches between off-low-high by pressing the Jet 1 button repeatedly on the topside control panel. From what you have described, my guess is that the input button for Jet1 is 'stuck' and the computer is attempting to change the pump 1 speed on every button polling cycle. There might be a physical problem with the button (i.e. it's broken) but I doubt that. The computer can get 'confused' if too many buttons or one button are pressed too close together in time or for too long. This happens because the buttons are not really control switches (as they appear to be) but rather are really digital input keys like the keyboard on your computer and are 'polled' in the same way. Push a bunch of keys down on your keyboard at once and you will fill the buffer and the little speaker will beep and things will stop.

Your problem sounds like a keypad buffer problem that the procedure below will fix. On the side of the controller (right side I think) in the pump cabinet, there is a tiny little switch panel with 'dip' switches that provide direct input into the computer program. These are also shown on the 'wiring diagram' in the manual in a little box in the lower right corner but are not otherwise mentioned by Balboa and are mostly undocumented and I don't think they want you to change them. You can manipulate the switches, however, to 'reset' the control program in the controller. First, you need to find the switch that switches Pump 1 to be 1spd or 2 spd. I think it is S5 but it might be something else so verify this on your controller diagram or label before starting.

S5 sets the Pump 1 to be 1spd or 2 spd and comes from the factory set at 2 spd. This is the switch you want. Follow this procedure. Don't do it in the rain.

1. Disconnect all power to your hot tub

2. Open the pump compartment and find the dip switch panel. It should be a tiny little panel with a row of switches on it on the side of the control box..

3. Verify the position of all of the dip switches and write them down in case you need to know what they are later.

4. Change the S5 switch from '2 speed' to '1 speed'. Use the tip of a ball point pen to (gently) move the switch if you need to.

5. Power up the hot tub for a couple of minutes or so, then power it down again.

6. Disconnect all power to the hot tub.

7. Switch the S5 switch back to ''2 speed''

8. Close up everything.

9. Power up the hot tub and all should now be well.. If it is not, repeat the procedure but change a different switch such as the one for 'one pump/two pumps'. By switching a dip switch and repowering, you force the controller to restart it's program with different inputs which is what you want.

If this fixes your problem, you can keep it from happening again by being careful to press the buttons one at a time and (most important!) count to three before pressing the Pump1 button a second time to switch to a different speed or before pressing another button. This problem happens because the buttons are not really control switches (even though they appear to be) but rather are really digital input keys like the keyboard on your computer and are 'polled' in the same way. Push a bunch of keys down on your keyboard at once and you will fill the buffer and the little speaker will beep and things will stop. On the hot tub, the Balboa controls don't have a way to manually clear the buffer (poweroff does not do it, probably for cost reasons)

If you are uncomfortable doing this kind of thing, show it to your tech and maybe he can do it for you.

Pump 1 is a two-speed pump that switches between off-low-high by pressing the Jet 1 button repeatedly on the topside control panel. From what you have described, my guess is that the input button for Jet1 is 'stuck' and the computer is attempting to change the pump 1 speed on every button polling cycle. There might be a physical problem with the button (i.e. it's broken) but I doubt that. The computer can get 'confused' if too many buttons or one button are pressed too close together in time or for too long. This happens because the buttons are not really control switches (as they appear to be) but rather are really digital input keys like the keyboard on your computer and are 'polled' in the same way. Push a bunch of keys down on your keyboard at once and you will fill the buffer and the little speaker will beep and things will stop.

Your problem sounds like a keypad buffer problem that the procedure below will fix. On the side of the controller (right side I think) in the pump cabinet, there is a tiny little switch panel with 'dip' switches that provide direct input into the computer program. These are also shown on the 'wiring diagram' in the manual in a little box in the lower right corner but are not otherwise mentioned by Balboa and are mostly undocumented and I don't think they want you to change them. You can manipulate the switches, however, to 'reset' the control program in the controller. First, you need to find the switch that switches Pump 1 to be 1spd or 2 spd. I think it is S5 but it might be something else so verify this on your controller diagram or label before starting.

S5 sets the Pump 1 to be 1spd or 2 spd and comes from the factory set at 2 spd. This is the switch you want. Follow this procedure. Don't do it in the rain.

1. Disconnect all power to your hot tub

2. Open the pump compartment and find the dip switch panel. It should be a tiny little panel with a row of switches on it on the side of the control box..

3. Verify the position of all of the dip switches and write them down in case you need to know what they are later.

4. Change the S5 switch from '2 speed' to '1 speed'. Use the tip of a ball point pen to (gently) move the switch if you need to.

5. Power up the hot tub for a couple of minutes or so, then power it down again.

6. Disconnect all power to the hot tub.

7. Switch the S5 switch back to ''2 speed''

8. Close up everything.

9. Power up the hot tub and all should now be well.. If it is not, repeat the procedure but change a different switch such as the one for 'one pump/two pumps'. By switching a dip switch and repowering, you force the controller to restart it's program with different inputs which is what you want.

If this fixes your problem, you can keep it from happening again by being careful to press the buttons one at a time and (most important!) count to three before pressing the Pump1 button a second time to switch to a different speed or before pressing another button. This problem happens because the buttons are not really control switches (even though they appear to be) but rather are really digital input keys like the keyboard on your computer and are 'polled' in the same way. Push a bunch of keys down on your keyboard at once and you will fill the buffer and the little speaker will beep and things will stop. On the hot tub, the Balboa controls don't have a way to manually clear the buffer (poweroff does not do it, probably for cost reasons)

If you are uncomfortable doing this kind of thing, show it to your tech and maybe he can do it for you.

Great Advice.......I have also started from one side of the dip switch panel and changed the first switch and repowered. Then shut down and changed it back and so on down the row of switches. Untill all switches were changed and then changed back. Power off will clear the buffer in some of the Balboa and other brand controlers but it takes 15-20 minutes of power down.

Great Advice.......I have also started from one side of the dip switch panel and changed the first switch and repowered. Then shut down and changed it back and so on down the row of switches. Untill all switches were changed and then changed back. Power off will clear the buffer in some of the Balboa and other brand controlers but it takes 15-20 minutes of power down.

The Balboa controls on the PE2 seem to use non-volatile memory (probably for recovery after a power failure without need for a battery backup) so the poweroff doesn't clear the buffer. We had a power outage a couple of weeks ago that lasted for many hours and when the power came back on the PE2 automatically started itself right back up and heated up to the 103F temp we had set it at. The hot tub was especially nice after being without heat for a day. :)

A keypad buffer problem?

I appreciate that Roger and the New tub owner sound like they are expert in the logic functions of the Platinum Elite control systems, but why would any ordinary joe want to go through all that hassle just to get a spa to work properly?

I do not mean that in a sarcastic or derogatory way to either of them or the original poster, but shouldn't a device that is meant to work properly do just that. An do it without major owner intervention.

A keypad buffer problem?

I appreciate that Roger and the New tub owner sound like they are expert in the logic functions of the Platinum Elite control systems, but why would any ordinary joe want to go through all that hassle just to get a spa to work properly?

I do not mean that in a sarcastic or derogatory way to either of them or the original poster, but shouldn't a device that is meant to work properly do just that. An do it without major owner intervention.

Because if you got to sit in it wet before you bought it and paid a whole bunch more than it was worth, you'd be happy.

Because even if it takes up a big part of your yard, you never want to actually fix it. Complaining is so much more effective.

Because if you got to sit in it wet before you bought it and paid a whole bunch more than it was worth, you'd be happy.

Because even if it takes up a big part of your yard, you never want to actually fix it. Complaining is so much more effective.

Paintnsunni...remember you are supposed to be banned from this site!! You don't do a very good job pretending to be someone else.

Paintnsunni...remember you are supposed to be banned from this site!! You don't do a very good job pretending to be someone else.

Before you accuse everyperson on this sight (and this goes to anyone making these assumptions) why not at least take a moment and look at when the person you are accusing became a member, in many cases its long before people had there problems with paint.

personally, JM, i saw the same guy (NW Tub) give you the same advice a few weeks back, and i was curious to see if you ever tried it. (in case that situation happens to me, and i can try that simple fix.) For all your troubles, something that easy seems almost too good to be true, however, if hydrospa changed your components, i wonder if they have this "toggle solution" on file. i know from my breif encounter with them, they appear to not want you to touch the innards as an end-user.

For the original poster on this thread, I can't see this solution actually hurting anything, so give it a shot and reply back!! If it will fix for you, maybe mendoza might break down and try it......i would love for his machine to come to life again.

I believe the moderators can check the ID number of computer users, can they not. I'm not a computer techie, but don't we all have IPO''s which can be used to identify whether Silverfish or dnjsdad is paint?

I would really appreciate that mods. By the way I got a email from paint appologizing for all of the accusations, what many of you fail to realize is they did not ban paint from the site they are just reviewing his posts and making a decision on whether they want to post them. SO THERE. I believe I am correct on this but im sure Mr. M will correct me if I am wrong.

I was addressing the other posters, so whoever you are, your logic is lame just like that loser doofus paintnsunni's was. What knowledge do you have that I don't really want to fix it? I'd have to be as goofy as your logic.

I am a an ordinary consumer who is doing nothing but trying to get a manufacturer to get things right. If I had wanted to build a tub from scratch, or needed a fixer-upper, I would have bought a kit. Nothing would make me more happy than a new tub that works well. Hopefully by January, I'll either have this one fixed or a new one in place.

I'm just posting so people know what they're in for when they buy from Hydrospa. Based on what the poor guy who started this thread describes, he has the same problem that I have: a flawed manufacturing design and an inferior product. We got what we paid for.

I would really appreciate that mods. By the way I got a email from paint appologizing for all of the accusations, what many of you fail to realize is they did not ban paint from the site they are just reviewing his posts and making a decision on whether they want to post them. SO THERE. I believe I am correct on this but im sure Mr. M will correct me if I am wrong.

lol,.........So...you got an email from Paint now huh? And then Paint confided in you, telling you, a total stranger the intricate details of how he is being moderated on this site. Wow. This is absolutely hillarious!!!!! dnjsdad-Paint-Silverfish or whoever you think you are today, please seek some professional help as soon as possible.

lol,.........So...you got an email from Paint now huh? And then Paint confided in you, telling you, a total stranger the intricate details of how he is being moderated on this site. Wow. This is absolutely hillarious!!!!! dnjsdad-Paint-Silverfish or whoever you think you are today, please seek some professional help as soon as possible.

the emails are still in my account on this forum I would appreciate if the mods would go in and take a look at where they originated and where they were sent. And clear this up.

I'm just posting so people know what they're in for when they buy from Hydrospa. Based on what the poor guy who started this thread describes, he has the same problem that I have: a flawed manufacturing design and an inferior product. We got what we paid for.

Not nessesarily a flawed manufacturing design. Just not the top shelf product from the manufacturer. Balboa can make 1500 dollar control units and it can make 500 dollar control units. We have to make an assumption which one Hydrospa uses in it's Costco Tubs. There's only one way to get the price down so cheap. Use lessor components and cut out the middle man. So you get a tub slightly more prone to problems and no service.

Economics people.....economics.

If I had this problem and couldn't get a tech to fix it I would try to fix it myself. But not all consumers are savy enough in mechanical stuff.

There must be thousands of those "lessor boards" that are working just fine because they don't all go to SH*T

Not nessesarily a flawed manufacturing design. Just not the top shelf product from the manufacturer. Balboa can make 1500 dollar control units and it can make 500 dollar control units. We have to make an assumption which one Hydrospa uses in it's Costco Tubs. There's only one way to get the price down so cheap. Use lessor components and cut out the middle man. So you get a tub slightly more prone to problems and no service.

Economics people.....economics.

If I had this problem and couldn't get a tech to fix it I would try to fix it myself. But not all consumers are savy enough in mechanical stuff.

There must be thousands of those "lessor boards" that are working just fine because they don't all go to SH*T

There's nothing 'lessor' about the Balboa controls in the PE2. They are exactly the same as those used in many other brands of hot tubs and the same issue has appeared with those. Go read other forums and you will see references to the problem. The only reason that they have shown up on the Costco tub is that Costco sells a LOT of hot tubs. Yes, the problem seems to be a software bug. Yes, bugs are bad. Yes, there shouldn't be bugs. Yes, there will always be software bugs. No, the bug is not serious and is easily avoided.

The advantages of digital controls over analog controls for hot tubs are so enormous that the occasional minor problem with software bugs like this one are trivial in comparison.

the warranty wouldn't be voided unless something you did actually caused a fault. flicking a pin toggle, and back again, doesn't seem to intrusive to me. they had you inside it bleeding air, no? un-doing unions and such, that seems more intrusive.

i ask you this, if you bought a brand new car, and it broke down on you a few days later, would you endlessly bitch about the manufacturer, or push it 50 feet to the gas station; as in the end, you found out you plain ran it out of gas. don't laugh, it happens all the time with b/n cars.

there is no seal on the box to tell them you are in it, as you need to pop the cover to wire it up. nwtub, did this actually happen to your tub, if so, how did you figure this out?