Pea Gravel Vs. Concrete Slab

LucyMarin

Hi folks. You all recently helped me pull the trigger on a Marquis Spirit and as we wait for the tub to be delivered we're trying to finalize how best to install. I have 2 inch flagstone, placed over compact earth, sand and mortar, however, it's at the edge of the patio and there is water flow/drainage that has potentially undermined small parts of the end of the stone. We're in the water shed (Mt. Tamalpais) and do receive a lot of water flow through our property in the winter and I have some concerns about settling once there is 1,700 pounds of tub on this surface (the area too is sloped 1 inch or so for drainage) I was moving forward with cutting a frame out of the flagstone and pouring a reinforced concrete pad. It's an easy job (5x7), however, our house is in a unique spot with no direct street access and I can't find a contractor willing to do it for less than $1k. We can spend this, but would of course prefer the dollars in our pocket especially noting the expensive electrical run we need to put in. My dealer too advised that a level PT frame filled with pea gravel is all that this tub really needs and that the cost of a slab is truly overkill. I've read all the posts about slabs vs. gravel etc and while it's clear that concrete is the best surface, pea gravel in this case should be more than adequate. I'm interested in feedback, personal experience or just plain old advice. Also, does anyone know if such an installation would void the Marquis warranty? The dealer implies that it won't and the warranty does not make this overly clear either. Anyway, thanks for your input...

Hi folks. You all recently helped me pull the trigger on a Marquis Spirit and as we wait for the tub to be delivered we're trying to finalize how best to install. I have 2 inch flagstone, placed over compact earth, sand and mortar, however, it's at the edge of the patio and there is water flow/drainage that has potentially undermined small parts of the end of the stone. We're in the water shed (Mt. Tamalpais) and do receive a lot of water flow through our property in the winter and I have some concerns about settling once there is 1,700 pounds of tub on this surface (the area too is sloped 1 inch or so for drainage) I was moving forward with cutting a frame out of the flagstone and pouring a reinforced concrete pad. It's an easy job (5x7), however, our house is in a unique spot with no direct street access and I can't find a contractor willing to do it for less than $1k. We can spend this, but would of course prefer the dollars in our pocket especially noting the expensive electrical run we need to put in. My dealer too advised that a level PT frame filled with pea gravel is all that this tub really needs and that the cost of a slab is truly overkill. I've read all the posts about slabs vs. gravel etc and while it's clear that concrete is the best surface, pea gravel in this case should be more than adequate. I'm interested in feedback, personal experience or just plain old advice. Also, does anyone know if such an installation would void the Marquis warranty? The dealer implies that it won't and the warranty does not make this overly clear either. Anyway, thanks for your input...

First off I am sure that 1700 lbs is empty spas with water can get up to 2 tons. If the dealer says ok and he will service it go for it. I have seen them on pea gravel got to fix it right away if it sinks or shifts

First off I am sure that 1700 lbs is empty spas with water can get up to 2 tons. If the dealer says ok and he will service it go for it. I have seen them on pea gravel got to fix it right away if it sinks or shifts

It's a small spa. 460 lbs dry, 1700 and change filled.

That's only about 150 gallons of water.....are you sure?????

I would pour concrete not matter the weight....it's cheap and easy to pour and permanent.

I would pour concrete not matter the weight....it's cheap and easy to pour and permanent.

165 gallons.

I recently purchased a Solana TX. It holds about 140 gallons of water. The area the tub is placed has a pea stone surface over compacted earth. I placed 16" square paver stones over the pea stones to form a more solid level surface.

165 gallons.

I know concrete is ideal, but try this idea - on top of the pea gravel. In my area (NJ) it is required that the slab be bonded - mine is not (slab is more than 20yrs old) so I set down a Spa pad ($275.00 delivered) for six pads together to form an 8x8 pad. You may be able to get away with 3 if it is a 2 or 3 person tub.

I installed a used TigerRiver Bengal on an existing flagstone patio sitting on a base of 3 inches of crushed limestone. The Bengal essentially sits on 5 cross beams so I lined up 4X4's under the built-in beams with the idea to shim under the 4X4's helping with the unevenness of the stones while maintaining complete contact with the tub. I also laid 1.5 inch diameter sheets of siding insulation, which have high compression strength, between the tub and 4X4's. The idea there was minimal compression of the foam would insure all points of the base would offer at least some support, making up for imperfections in the tub beams (some minimal beam warp when I got it, probably from a less than perfect previous install ) and the 4X4's. The tub is nice and level and without any issues.

165 gallons.

165 gallons = 1,377.75lbs (assuming 1 gallon = 8.35lbs) Approximate

Marquis' website says:

weight: dry/full 410/1786 lbs.

Based on their empty weight of 410lbs, my estimate that 165 gallons is 1,377.75lbs I'd say they are spot on for filled weight. However, that weight does not appear to include the weight of people sitting in the spa. All said and done though, you're probably looking at 2,000 - 2,100 lbs once you put two adults in that spa.

165 gallons.

Marquis' website says:

Based on their empty weight of 410lbs, my estimate that 165 gallons is 1,377.75lbs I'd say they are spot on for filled weight. However, that weight does not appear to include the weight of people sitting in the spa. All said and done though, you're probably looking at 2,000 - 2,100 lbs once you put two adults in that spa.

That means you're estimating 214 to 314 total pounds for 2 adults. Does that represent the majority of people walking in your showroom? Have you seen America's waistline? Have you seen the Biggest Loser? I'd estimate 300 to 500 lbs for 2 adults. ;)

165 gallons.

Marquis' website says:

That means you're estimating 214 to 314 total pounds for 2 adults. Does that represent the majority of people walking in your showroom? Have you seen America's waistline? Have you seen the Biggest Loser? I'd estimate 300 to 500 lbs for 2 adults. ;)

We're leaning towards a slab....just feels like we should bite the bullet and do it "right" from the onset. Nice calculations on America's waistline too. Good think my Wife is 97lbs....together that brings us to closer to 270.....I guess we're the exception in this slim country of ours...

There are hard plastic pads you can purchase to put your spa on an unfinished but level surface such as gravel. I think they were around $250 - $350 when I was looking at our spa. We happened to already have a concrete pad but were thinking of having the tub off the slab so we could keep the patio space. We just threw it on the patio because it was closer to the door and in the winter that extra 5' might be a deterrant :-)

I am currently using those hard plastic pads. My were aboyt $275 delivered. I have plenty of patio space, but my municipality requires the concrete to have a bonding grid for electrical and since my slab is more than 25 years old it does not so in order to put it where I wanted...closer to the door, but also with a good view of the sky and stars I needed to use this method. Nearly 4 months and they are working just fine. They are similar to the plastic folding tables very light weight and rugged.

165 gallons.

Marquis' website says:

The way I understood it is that the filled weight is usually referring to the tub being filled to the brim or very close, so putting people...especially people with a little fluff... will actually reduce the filled weight of the tub. That way hot tub companies are also covering their behinds when someone is preparing a spot using filled weight specs. Could be wrong though... It happens