Absolutely Starting At The Beginning

StantheMan

Hello Everyone,

Love the look of this forum and I need some help. We live in NJ and are looking into a hot tub. We do not own one and never have. We have no idea where to go for unbiased information. Do you all have any suggestions?

If it help to clarify, we are by no means rich so I think we would be looking to be in the $5K to $10K range. We have a family of 5 so we are looking larger rather than smaller. We are absolutely looking for something that is dependable, low mantenance and energy efficient.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

Hello Everyone,

Love the look of this forum and I need some help. We live in NJ and are looking into a hot tub. We do not own one and never have. We have no idea where to go for unbiased information. Do you all have any suggestions?

If it help to clarify, we are by no means rich so I think we would be looking to be in the $5K to $10K range. We have a family of 5 so we are looking larger rather than smaller. We are absolutely looking for something that is dependable, low mantenance and energy efficient.

Thanks,

Stan

Stan,

Look in the phone book for your local dealers and let us know. Its hard to give info if we don't know what is available in your area.

In the Meantime look for a

Hot Springs

Marquis

Sundance

Maax

Artic

Nordic

Jacuzzi

Bullfrog

These are some that build reliable spas

You'll have a lot of options but I'd start with spas like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance (those are my personal top picks, everyone's list is different).

If you go to their websites you'll find they will all have a dealer locator. You simply enter your zip code and it'll tell you where your nearest dealer is located. Visit as many as you can within reasonable distance and plan to wet test your favorite 2 or 3 (preferably on the same day or at least the same weekend).

You'll have a lot of options but I'd start with spas like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance (those are my personal top picks, everyone's list is different).

If you go to their websites you'll find they will all have a dealer locator. You simply enter your zip code and it'll tell you where your nearest dealer is located. Visit as many as you can within reasonable distance and plan to wet test your favorite 2 or 3 (preferably on the same day or at least the same weekend).

If you can, go to the Philly Home Show. It is on now. Major players are there.

Hi Stan,

Research, research, research. We just replaced our spa -- we had a Sequoia Spa for around 11-12 years, and it started having problems. We looked for around two months ... what we learned .... through the years.... and through our research...

1) Research. You are never under any pressure to purchase ANYTHING of this genre. A reputable dealer will give you the facts and let you decide.

2) Think about what you need. Some will say a large tub is the way to go -- then again, while you will no doubt entertain, you also will usually only have two, or perhaps four adults max in it. Having a big party? Your guests will have to take turns.

3) Are you going to put it indoors? Or outdoors? Factors such as covers, site prep, and running electric lines can add to the cost. Example = I just moved our spa site eight feet / three meters away from the house. To reroute the electric (220V) it cost me around $700, plus additional charge for a new breaker. And even though the tub I bought could be put right down on dirt, we used an E-Z Spa pad - another $375, plus around $100 in sand to level the site.

We looked around this time. We reviewed several different types. We visited a traveling road show -- and the one we attended wasn't bad, the dealers were good, but limited offerings, but it was just that their offerings were lower-end and we wanted more durability.

After some searching -- we got serious about three. ThermoSpas -- but after seeing what they had and their pricing -- outa here.

Then it came down to Jacuzzi and Arctic. VERY difficult decision, because we had two helpful dealers, and we were comparing two very good product lines, although they're higher end. The Jacuzzi dealer even recommended we purchase something SMALLER than their "Cadillac" tub -- given our use, he wanted us to "right size" it. Very good people there.

But we went with the Arctic -- and as I said, it was not easy. But we went with the technology over price, and we have no regrets. But we also know - we wouldn't have gone wrong either way. And I would recommend either brand, knowing what I have learned.

So far, so good. We have confidence in the local dealer for Arctic, he has been great and in contact with us even after the sale.

A few hints --

-- Dealer support is essential. We had it with the old Sequoia Spa, we will have it with our Arctic. We know we would have had it with the Jacuzzi Spa as well. But a big-box store offering, or a road show? No, we shied away from that.

-- Wet-test it. A good dealer will allow you that.

-- Site prep and electrical wiring. DO NOT CUT CORNERS. We have an electrician who is a master electrician, licensed, insured, and specializes in pools and spas. Uncle Wilf may have rigged up the lights in his barn up in Sherbrooke, but that doesn't qualify him to install something with 220/240V, water, and stringent codes.

Also, give some thought to WHERE the tub will be -- our old one was right next to the house -- and susceptible to icicles, rain run-off, etc. Privacy can also be an issue -- many prefer to use their spas au naturel, which will also save you on chemicals, and assist you in keeping water clean. Bathing suits can really foul up the water. But there are other logistics, you wouldn't do that with kids, and you don't want to use it that way in view of your neighbors.

Good luck - ask questions here -- and scrutinize your dealers. The good dealers don't mind.

A large tub under $10K -- you will have to do some looking around. Don't forget the additional costs -- privacy screens, electrical hookup, site prep. There are some -- some Jacuzzi spas we looked at were under $10K and they could seat four or five adults.

Hi Stan,

Research, research, research. We just replaced our spa -- we had a Sequoia Spa for around 11-12 years, and it started having problems. We looked for around two months ... what we learned .... through the years.... and through our research...

1) Research. You are never under any pressure to purchase ANYTHING of this genre. A reputable dealer will give you the facts and let you decide.

2) Think about what you need. Some will say a large tub is the way to go -- then again, while you will no doubt entertain, you also will usually only have two, or perhaps four adults max in it. Having a big party? Your guests will have to take turns.

3) Are you going to put it indoors? Or outdoors? Factors such as covers, site prep, and running electric lines can add to the cost. Example = I just moved our spa site eight feet / three meters away from the house. To reroute the electric (220V) it cost me around $700, plus additional charge for a new breaker. And even though the tub I bought could be put right down on dirt, we used an E-Z Spa pad - another $375, plus around $100 in sand to level the site.

We looked around this time. We reviewed several different types. We visited a traveling road show -- and the one we attended wasn't bad, the dealers were good, but limited offerings, but it was just that their offerings were lower-end and we wanted more durability.

After some searching -- we got serious about three. ThermoSpas -- but after seeing what they had and their pricing -- outa here.

Then it came down to Jacuzzi and Arctic. VERY difficult decision, because we had two helpful dealers, and we were comparing two very good product lines, although they're higher end. The Jacuzzi dealer even recommended we purchase something SMALLER than their "Cadillac" tub -- given our use, he wanted us to "right size" it. Very good people there.

But we went with the Arctic -- and as I said, it was not easy. But we went with the technology over price, and we have no regrets. But we also know - we wouldn't have gone wrong either way. And I would recommend either brand, knowing what I have learned.

So far, so good. We have confidence in the local dealer for Arctic, he has been great and in contact with us even after the sale.

A few hints --

-- Dealer support is essential. We had it with the old Sequoia Spa, we will have it with our Arctic. We know we would have had it with the Jacuzzi Spa as well. But a big-box store offering, or a road show? No, we shied away from that.

-- Wet-test it. A good dealer will allow you that.

-- Site prep and electrical wiring. DO NOT CUT CORNERS. We have an electrician who is a master electrician, licensed, insured, and specializes in pools and spas. Uncle Wilf may have rigged up the lights in his barn up in Sherbrooke, but that doesn't qualify him to install something with 220/240V, water, and stringent codes.

Also, give some thought to WHERE the tub will be -- our old one was right next to the house -- and susceptible to icicles, rain run-off, etc. Privacy can also be an issue -- many prefer to use their spas au naturel, which will also save you on chemicals, and assist you in keeping water clean. Bathing suits can really foul up the water. But there are other logistics, you wouldn't do that with kids, and you don't want to use it that way in view of your neighbors.

Good luck - ask questions here -- and scrutinize your dealers. The good dealers don't mind.

A large tub under $10K -- you will have to do some looking around. Don't forget the additional costs -- privacy screens, electrical hookup, site prep. There are some -- some Jacuzzi spas we looked at were under $10K and they could seat four or five adults.

Hi,

North Boston has some very good points.....take your time and enjoy the search....but you MUST wet test! Can't stress that enough! Make sure it is the exact tub you are looking at too. We tested some Hot Springs we hated and thought they were very weak, then tested some other H/S models that we loved (and bought, and have no regrets at all), so a tub from one brand does not reflect on their entire line. You will regret it if you don't! Thks, Randy

Others have already provided you with great information. I only want to reinforce and underscore some of the important pieces of advise that others have offered:

1. Research...

Be willing to spend time to research hot tubs. I would recommend you do some preliminary research BEFORE you start LOOKING at tubs. Questions will surface soon after you start your hot tub research. This forum is a great place to find answers to your questions. There are many threads discussing all the various issues that you have to deal with, both before and after you buy a hot tub. Use the "search" option and you should be able to find answers to most of your questions somewhere on this forum, even those that are highly technical and detailed.

2. Buy from a reputable manufacturer...

Although price is always an important factor, IMHO, VALUE is more important. Keep in mind, you will have the hot tub for 10+ years. You will want a product that will be reliable over the long haul. The long term cost of buying a product that is initially less expensive may prove more costly than investing in a higher priced product up front.

3. Dealer Support...

Besides investing in a hot tub from a respected manufacturer, it is also prudent to buy from a local dealer that provides good after purchase service and support. Depending on where you live, this may be difficult. You may not have a lot of options in this regard.

4. Wet Test...

Once you've researched and decided on the initial tub criteria that you are interested in and that meet your preliminary requirements, i.e., design, features, options, etc., I recommend you choose a handful of tubs from several reputable manufacturers and compare how they feel in a wet test. Check out all seat positions and jet configurations. Ideally, every member of your family that will be using the tub should wet test each tub.

5. Tub Design 101...

Size...All tubs will tell you the number of people that the tub will accommodate. Keep in mind that tubs comfortably accommodate fewer people than listed. Yes, a tub designed for 6-7 people will hold 6 or 7 people, but those people will be somewhat cramped. I have a Sundance Optima (which I love) and it is designed for 6-7 people, i.e., there are seat and jet positions for 7 people. In practice, 4 people can be in the tub at the same time and are very comfortable...no congestion, plenty of room. Everyone can stretch out without tripping over feet or entangling legs. As soon as we get more than four in the tub, it begins to feel crowded. The same principle applies to smaller tubs. Tubs designed for 4 people will generally seat 2 people very comfortably. After that, the tub will get crowded.

Jets...The number of jets are not necessarily as important as the "feel" of the jets, their placement and massaging action. The massaging action is also related to the quality, size and number of pumps and the amount of water that must be moved. Generally speaking, spas that focus on "hydrotherapy" will have more jets. But that is not to say that a tub with fewer jets will not offer a better feel. This is why wet-testing is so important. [Note: Be aware that hot tubs move both water and air. Some jets are water jets, some are air jets and some are both. Some pumps move water, some move air and some move both. When comparing tubs and looking at jets, you should be aware of these possibilities.]

Loungers...Many tubs have "loungers". The design of loungers varies significantly from one manufacturer to another. IF a lounger is important to you, then it is critical that you wet test each lounger. If considering a tub with a lounger, I would recommend you review the many threads on this forum that discuss the pros and cons.

Warranties...Read each respective manufacturers warranties carefully and thoroughly. Don't just rely on the warranty information provided in BOLD TYPE FACE HEADING descriptions. The warranties of most reputable manufacturers are very similar, but there are differences. The devil is in the details.

I hope this helps a bit. My apologies if some of this is redundant.

gman

Hello Everyone,

Thanks,

Stan

I've been resisting responding as a good search of this forum will certainly provide you with a wealth of information and opinions, but let me put out a few additional questions to balance the feedback here.

Are you certain your family is interested and suited (pun intented) to the hot tub lifestyle? Will you use the tub daily, weekly, monthly, or quit using it after one year? The hot tub lifestyle is not for everyone. Do you have local repair people (independents) who will service a spa not purchased from a local dealer? Do you have a pool/spa shop where you can obtain chemicals? Do you have the knowledge to purchase them online? I recently found chemicals at 50% off my local dealer at my local grocery/department store. I've spent quite a bit of time in NJ, and I don't find it to be much harsher in winter than Washington State, it's not like you'll be in -30 degree weather, so energy efficient is important, but not so much as the Canadians or cooler areas in the US.

So here's the deal. You're entering into the unknown and the unknowable until you have more tubbing experience. You're taking a risk. A risk that the tub will sit unused or be a lemon. I was in your shoes 4 months ago. Given your huge range of budget, I'd suggest looking at the lower end of the price spectrum to validate that the tubbing lifestyle is for you. If owning the tub becomes a positive life changing experience for your family, upgrade in 5 years if you must. So here are my suggestions.

Local Dealer refurbs / used.

Craigslist (the economy is in the tank, you might want to check here first)

Costco.com specificaly Evolution by Strong

DK117

When ou do decided and buy, use Nitro's Dichlor/Bleach method. I know, it sounds complicated/tricky, but trust me, it's not. You quickly get the nag of it, and after a couple weeks, it's no harder than any other system (Except Bromine perhaps, never used it).

It gives you crystal, and I do mean crystal clear water, and it costs next to nothing in chemicals.

So Buy your spa, and buy a Taylor K2006 test kit right away so you can begin with Nitro's method.

I've spent quite a bit of time in NJ, and I don't find it to be much harsher in winter than Washington State, it's not like you'll be in -30 degree weather, so energy efficient is important, but not so much as the Canadians or cooler areas in the US.

Energy Efficiency should be considered wherever you live but you don't think of New Jersey as a cold weather state? OK, maybe it's not as bad as Canada, Minnesota, Montana or Maine but its certainly a cold weather area.

Here is what I found on-line about NJ weather:

1) Temperature differences between the northern and southern parts of the state are greatest in the winter and least in summer. All stations have registered readings of above 100 degrees F and below 0 degrees F.

2) Average number of freeze free days in the northern highlands is 163, 179 in the central and southern interior, and 217 along the seacoast.

3) Average annual precipitation ranges from about 40 inches along the southeast coast to 51 inches in north-central parts of the state. Many areas average between 43 and 47 inches.

4) Snow may fall from about October 15 to April 30 in the highlands and from about November 15 to April 15 in southern counties.

Obviously the Southern part of NJ isn't as harsh as the Northern part but I've been there in the winter time (ever been to Atlantic City in January? Lovely!). I know I'd make energy efficiency a major part of my purchase if I lived there.

I've spent quite a bit of time in NJ, and I don't find it to be much harsher in winter than Washington State, it's not like you'll be in -30 degree weather, so energy efficient is important, but not so much as the Canadians or cooler areas in the US.

Energy Efficiency should be considered wherever you live but you don't think of New Jersey as a cold weather state? OK, maybe it's not as bad as Canada, Minnesota, Montana or Maine but its certainly a cold weather area.

Here is what I found on-line about NJ weather:

1) Temperature differences between the northern and southern parts of the state are greatest in the winter and least in summer. All stations have registered readings of above 100 degrees F and below 0 degrees F.

2) Average number of freeze free days in the northern highlands is 163, 179 in the central and southern interior, and 217 along the seacoast.

3) Average annual precipitation ranges from about 40 inches along the southeast coast to 51 inches in north-central parts of the state. Many areas average between 43 and 47 inches.

4) Snow may fall from about October 15 to April 30 in the highlands and from about November 15 to April 15 in southern counties.

Obviously the Southern part of NJ isn't as harsh as the Northern part but I've been there in the winter time (ever been to Atlantic City in January? Lovely!). I know I'd make energy efficiency a major part of my purchase if I lived there.

and I thought I'd get **** for suggesting low priced entry level tubs ... LOL. But you are indeed correct, just like here in Washington State, relatively mild in the south and west, quite harsh in the east / northeast (Spokane.)

Nonetheless, let me try to reiterate my point. Stantheman doesn't need a $10K tub that can withstand prolonged -30 degree weather. (from the posts here, some people actually do.) In a milder climate the net difference in electricity costs from a $10K tub to a $5K might be so little as to never be recouped over the life of the $10K tub.

Regardless, my main point is that the guy doesn't even know if he or his family will like or use a tub ... it's OK to purchase a used, refurbed or low/mid range first tub.

DK117