Arctic Spa Onzen Help

mickey

Hi:

I recently bought an Arctic Frontier with onzen (5 days ago). I may not understand the system...I think the onzen system is supposed to create Cl from sea salt, thereby negating the need to add chlorine.

The dealer has been impossible to reach for information. Essentially, they dropped off the spa, filled hit, connected it, gave me the manuals and told me to check pH, add Adjust Down if too high and to check ORP, with no instructions as to what to do with the ORP reading.

My spa is in UT at about 7000 feet. Temp is 104. Used daily. Water is crystal clear. Strip test reads VERY LOW Cl level, pH 7.8 (added one capful of Adjust Down) and alkalinity in acceptable range. The ORP reads 160. My spa is filtering for 2 hours 4 times a day, which I believe is the max. The ORP level has not changed in three days.

My questions:

Do I need to add salt or does the onzen system slowly increase the Cl content?

Do I need to change onzen setting or filtration setting? Am I at the max? Can I run 24 hours a day until Cl level gets up?

I've read about "Refresh" and should I get this and use it?

Do I need to worry at all, as the water seems fine?

As I understand it, ORP should be at least 400 for a residential spa. Why is mine so low? Does it slowly increased with time? Why is my chlorine so low?

Thanks.

Your salt level should be 2000 - 2500 ppm, was salt added at startup?

Onzen is a two part system, ozone and salt water generator.

Ozone production is controled by filtration cycles.

To increase cl production you need to access low level programing

and adjust the CP setting.

Onzen manual should cover this.

check the easy operating sheet ( its like a cheat sheet ), you should have your cp setting at 6 to start, this produces the chlorine 24hrs a day until you reach a good level, 5 is 20 hrs a day, 4 is 16 hrs ,,,, and so on,,, I have mine at 3 its just me using the tub every 2nd day, when filling the tub did you guys put in the salt? make sure you have the correct level of salt. I am new as well but the maintence is very easy once you get the hang of it, I use a cap of refresh 1 a week or If a few people stop by for a tub I put some after they leave and run the boo cycle for 20 minutes.

like I said I am new but am loving my Arctic

check the easy operating sheet ( its like a cheat sheet ), you should have your cp setting at 6 to start, this produces the chlorine 24hrs a day until you reach a good level, 5 is 20 hrs a day, 4 is 16 hrs ,,,, and so on,,, I have mine at 3 its just me using the tub every 2nd day, when filling the tub did you guys put in the salt? make sure you have the correct level of salt. I am new as well but the maintence is very easy once you get the hang of it, I use a cap of refresh 1 a week or If a few people stop by for a tub I put some after they leave and run the boo cycle for 20 minutes.

Thanks.

They definitely put salt in...and gave me the residual salt container.

I don't think i got a cheat sheet, but I'll look again. I was not informed about the "low level" programming. Does that mean accessing the onzen generator via the wood panels? Where in relation to the external "high level" controls is the onzen generator? Do you turn a dial? I can't find anything on the Arctic site and I think my dealer was more interested in making the sale than helping. Or maybe they have been really busy and overwhelmed with the Holidays, etc.

So, if I turn the onzen system to 6, I should see the Cl level on dipstick and the ORP reading increase. Sounds good. I'll try to figure this out. On the good side, we've used the spa a lot and see no signs of water impurity.

Thanks.

I don't think i got a cheat sheet, but I'll look again. I was not informed about the "low level" programming. Does that mean accessing the onzen generator via the wood panels? Where in relation to the external "high level" controls is the onzen generator? Do you turn a dial? I can't find anything on the Arctic site and I think my dealer was more interested in making the sale than helping. Or maybe they have been really busy and overwhelmed with the Holidays, etc.

So, if I turn the onzen system to 6, I should see the Cl level on dipstick and the ORP reading increase. Sounds good. I'll try to figure this out. On the good side, we've used the spa a lot and see no signs of water impurity.

cp setting is in the low level programming, you have to hold the filter button for 20 seconds, than push the arrow button ( tempurature button ) a few times, and you will see the cp setting ? depending on what it is set at, I would change it to 6 if you are always in the tub and the cl is low, as your body will use a lot of it up while your in the tub, then adjust from here, don't wory you will get all the help you need from Arctic, you will also get the answers your looking for on this Forum just remember people are on holidays, I have not had to touch anything else on my tub. WHAT is your CP set at?

Thanks.

cp setting is in the low level programming, you have to hold the filter button for 20 seconds, than push the arrow button ( tempurature button ) a few times, and you will see the cp setting ? depending on what it is set at, I would change it to 6 if you are always in the tub and the cl is low, as your body will use a lot of it up while your in the tub, then adjust from here, don't wory you will get all the help you need from Arctic, you will also get the answers your looking for on this Forum just remember people are on holidays, I have not had to touch anything else on my tub. WHAT is your CP set at?

I did find the cheat sheet and set the CP to "6." I was at "3." Checked the Onzen (inside the cabinet) and it was set at highest level. I will recheck the ORP in a day or so. What is your ORP reading? The installer said > 400 is what you want. It sounds like even higher is better. Like I said, mine is at 150 or so.

Thanks.

I did find the cheat sheet and set the CP to "6." I was at "3." Checked the Onzen (inside the cabinet) and it was set at highest level. I will recheck the ORP in a day or so. What is your ORP reading? The installer said > 400 is what you want. It sounds like even higher is better. Like I said, mine is at 150 or so.

Where are things at now? Sorry, just got back from the break today, but here to help if you need.

Vern

Sorry about not having the new onzen guide up yet. We plan on having it done shortly. I am not sure what the hold up is. I will make sure it is up on the site as soon it is available.

Kind regards,

James

Mickey - I'm assuming you're in the Park City area - me, too. I've had issues with my Onzen system, and other issues and would enjoy talking to you about yours.

I will say that the dealer has been very responsive to our issues - I only wish we weren't having them so we could just enjoy the tub. The dealer also provided very good documentation and a good introduction to the unit.

• 1 month later...
Sorry about not having the new onzen guide up yet. We plan on having it done shortly. I am not sure what the hold up is. I will make sure it is up on the site as soon it is available.

Kind regards,

James

Mickey - I'm assuming you're in the Park City area - me, too. I've had issues with my Onzen system, and other issues and would enjoy talking to you about yours.

I will say that the dealer has been very responsive to our issues - I only wish we weren't having them so we could just enjoy the tub. The dealer also provided very good documentation and a good introduction to the unit.

Hello:

I've now had my Arctic Spa for two months. I've learned to fine tune the CP according to use, have added Adjust down when pH too high, at the suggestion of the dealer (because of consistently low ORP readings) added salt.

Now, I get relatively low ORPs (250-500 range) even with CP at 6. Also, my chem strip has NEVER registered any evidence of Chlorine (it is always white).

My water is clear, clean and the spa seems fine.

Should I have a Cl reading? If not, does this reflect insufficient salt? Should my ORP be higher than 500 if I'm running the Onzen at max for several days? Should I even worry if the water seems clean?

Thanks.

No matter how the chlorine (sanitizer) is added to the spa water. You MUST have a chlorine residual to safely bathe in a spa.

This means that you need to have a reading in the OK section of the test strip.

If the test strip is white, your salt-water system in not functioning (properly).

Get it fixed or add powdered chorine. Once your spa water shows no residual, you have only a few days before the bacteria will grow and your water will turn cloudy.

No matter how the chlorine (sanitizer) is added to the spa water. You MUST have a chlorine residual to safely bathe in a spa.

If the test strip is white, your salt-water system in not functioning (properly).

Get it fixed or add powdered chorine. Once your spa water shows no residual, you have only a few days before the bacteria will grow and your water will turn cloudy.

It's been two months. My water is crystal clear. Have never registered anything on strip for chlorine. It doesn't make sense to me. I'll retalk to my dealer but they are really not very helpful.

Has anyone had success dealing with Arctic Spas directly, ie bypassing the dealer if they seem unresponsive?

It's been two months. My water is crystal clear. Have never registered anything on strip for chlorine. It doesn't make sense to me. I'll retalk to my dealer but they are really not very helpful.

Has anyone had success dealing with Arctic Spas directly, ie bypassing the dealer if they seem unresponsive?

I called the plant in Thorsby -- now, let me explain - my dealer is GREAT -- no problem, but I called Thorsby and had a question, and because it was after hours here in Massachusetts, (6 pm EST) and they're two hours behind us out there, I talked to the tech and got my answers. If it were during the eastern time zone work day, I would have called my dealer.

Again - MY DEALER IS EXCELLENT! It was just timing.... and while I had the questions on my mind , thought I'd just call out to the plant because someone would be there at that time.

I might add -- if I had any suggestion or comments for Arctic Spas (James K - if you're here, please take note) -- this is not a complaint.

Go out to Youtube - do a search on Arctic Spas. There are some EXCELLENT videos there. No, they are not Hollywood productions, but they're very straight-forward. There was even one where the tech is trying to explain low-level programming -- he made a mistake - tells the camera person "ah, shut it off" and then he comes right back with the correct display on the panel ... these videos are GREAT .... and Arctic should probably put them on a DVD and give it to customers when they buy.

I called the plant in Thorsby -- now, let me explain - my dealer is GREAT -- no problem, but I called Thorsby and had a question, and because it was after hours here in Massachusetts, (6 pm EST) and they're two hours behind us out there, I talked to the tech and got my answers. If it were during the eastern time zone work day, I would have called my dealer.

Again - MY DEALER IS EXCELLENT! It was just timing.... and while I had the questions on my mind , thought I'd just call out to the plant because someone would be there at that time.

I might add -- if I had any suggestion or comments for Arctic Spas (James K - if you're here, please take note) -- this is not a complaint.

Go out to Youtube - do a search on Arctic Spas. There are some EXCELLENT videos there. No, they are not Hollywood productions, but they're very straight-forward. There was even one where the tech is trying to explain low-level programming -- he made a mistake - tells the camera person "ah, shut it off" and then he comes right back with the correct display on the panel ... these videos are GREAT .... and Arctic should probably put them on a DVD and give it to customers when they buy.

I can't wait to get home tonight and search! Thanks, dude. Oh, and your dealer is excellent, I agree. I'll be going there next month for some salt.

I can't wait to get home tonight and search! Thanks, dude. Oh, and your dealer is excellent, I agree. I'll be going there next month for some salt.

Yes, he is -- Brad is great --R&R Spas, Littleton, MA, and his analysis of the water chemistry in my neighborhood is spot on -- I'm going to have to add a smidgen of Ph Increaser and Shock/Oxidizer each week, but he's talking about 1 tablespoon. His partner in the store - Carol - has also been helpful through the process.

The Onzen is keeping the free chlorine where it should be, alkalinity , Ph, right in range.

After one month - I do not regret my decision to buy Arctic. It has been a positive experience all around -- dealer support, delivery, functionality, and factory support.

Saturday night we celebrated. We had some friends over, and split a bottle of wine, of course with plastic wine glasses (Kitchens, Etc. in Dover/Portsmouth NH).

Hi James,

Thanks for jumping on here. Our local dealer has been very responsive but I'd like to throw a few things out for you.

We are just over two months into ownership of our spa.

It had several problems with the pump and onzen system.

We have the Onzen system but have had some issues with the water. Even now, with the CP set on 6 continuously for over two weeks the ORP was only 580 this afternoon and the water is not at all what you'd call clear.

We have the platinum filter, if that is the correct terminology.

Ph and Alk all test in limits. Filter is at 2 and 4.

We are a family of four (kids 12 and 8) with what I'd guess is normal usage. The kids have friends over on the weekends, but no babies, little kids, no suspects if you get my drift.

James, the water never, ever stays clear. I don't want to go into the long history of this spa here, but the water has only been really clear, like you'd see in a pool or commercial spa immediately after filling it - which I've done more than I should have had to with a 2 month old spa. This is also our second filter.

A month or so ago, when I thought, "OK, this is finally under control," I backed the CP to 4 as everyone has recommended and we soon had a swamp show up.

The tech checked everything - it was OK.

So, James - should I reset my expectations and accept the murky water and ORP's in the 5-600 range with the CP at 6?

This is not what I expected, and I like to think that we can have the nice clear water they have in the showroom, and that I was told the system maintained even when loaded with the masses at the State Fair.

On the other hand, we've been able to use our tub when we like for a while, and the ORP tells me it's safe even if the water doesn't look great. (although today I noticed a strange sound from the waterfall valve area, I am hoping it's not a leak starting.)

On a related note - wow, you guys have seriously revised the Onzen procedures. These are nothing at all like what we were told to do, from the filling process, to salting, etc.

I appreciate you getting on here. I want to emphasize that our local dealer has been helpful, I just want to see what a new info source has to offer.

Thanks!

Hello,

You can download the latest onzen guide from our website. Here is a link to the download section.

http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/Manual...w-category.html

Kind regards,

James

Hi James,

Thanks for jumping on here. Our local dealer has been very responsive but I'd like to throw a few things out for you.

We have the Onzen system but have had some issues with the water. Even now, with the CP set on 6 continuously for over two weeks the ORP was only 580 this afternoon and the water is not at all what you'd call clear.

We are a family of four (kids 12 and 8) with what I'd guess is normal usage. The kids have friends over on the weekends, but no babies, little kids, no suspects if you get my drift.

James, the water never, ever stays clear. I don't want to go into the long history of this spa here, but the water has only been really clear, like you'd see in a pool or commercial spa immediately after filling it - which I've done more than I should have had to with a 2 month old spa. This is also our second filter.

A month or so ago, when I thought, "OK, this is finally under control," I backed the CP to 4 as everyone has recommended and we soon had a swamp show up.

So, James - should I reset my expectations and accept the murky water and ORP's in the 5-600 range with the CP at 6?

This is not what I expected, and I like to think that we can have the nice clear water they have in the showroom, and that I was told the system maintained even when loaded with the masses at the State Fair.

On the other hand, we've been able to use our tub when we like for a while, and the ORP tells me it's safe even if the water doesn't look great. (although today I noticed a strange sound from the waterfall valve area, I am hoping it's not a leak starting.)

On a related note - wow, you guys have seriously revised the Onzen procedures. These are nothing at all like what we were told to do, from the filling process, to salting, etc.

I appreciate you getting on here. I want to emphasize that our local dealer has been helpful, I just want to see what a new info source has to offer.

Thanks!

Hey Spodaddyo,

Can you PM me your contact details and spa serial number so that I can look into this and call you on it? I have some ideas on what the issue might be.

Kind regards,

James

Could it be that the Onzen system is even close to what people expect, and that the consumer might be better off just canning it and going back to chlorine or bromine with an ozonator? Just a thought seeing all of the problems people are having with them.

Hi James,

Thanks!

Hey Spodaddyo,

Can you PM me your contact details and spa serial number so that I can look into this and call you on it? I have some ideas on what the issue might be.

Kind regards,

James

Could it be that the Onzen system is even close to what people expect, and that the consumer might be better off just canning it and going back to chlorine or bromine with an ozonator? Just a thought seeing all of the problems people are having with them

I think like any new feature, salesman have a tendency to over sell it's capabilities. That being said the system is working very well in thousands of spas and we have worked through some of the initial issues. Some of the issues we are seeing, like this one, have many other water chemistry factors involved that are impacting the results of the system. I am confident that it is the best system for a spa.

Kind regards,

James

Could it be that the Onzen system is even close to what people expect, and that the consumer might be better off just canning it and going back to chlorine or bromine with an ozonator? Just a thought seeing all of the problems people are having with them

I think like any new feature, salesman have a tendency to over sell it's capabilities. That being said the system is working very well in thousands of spas and we have worked through some of the initial issues. Some of the issues we are seeing, like this one, have many other water chemistry factors involved that are impacting the results of the system. I am confident that it is the best system for a spa.

Kind regards,

James

As an Owner of a 16 month old Arctic Spa, Tundra with an updated Onzen system, I must comment that the system does work.

Sure the initial design had problems BUT Arctic Spas looked after it and corrected/ upgraded the system. I could not be happier. Thank you James and Arctic Spa of Ottawa.

When purchasing anything today, the after sales service is key to the satisfaction and enjoyment of the purchased product. That is why word of mouth recommendations is best when considering purchases because the person making the recommendation has experienced the hidden after sales service which CANNOT be tested when looking in a showroom.

I highly recommend Arctic Spa and the Onzen system in the Ottawa Ont. region.

As an Owner of a 16 month old Arctic Spa, Tundra with an updated Onzen system, I must comment that the system does work.

Sure the initial design had problems BUT Arctic Spas looked after it and corrected/ upgraded the system. I could not be happier. Thank you James and Arctic Spa of Ottawa.

When purchasing anything today, the after sales service is key to the satisfaction and enjoyment of the purchased product. That is why word of mouth recommendations is best when considering purchases because the person making the recommendation has experienced the hidden after sales service which CANNOT be tested when looking in a showroom.

I highly recommend Arctic Spa and the Onzen system in the Ottawa Ont. region.

Thanks for saying that. I believe many of the issues I am seeing now are related to pH balance rather then the systems ability to produce sufficient sanitizer. Like I said earlier, it is not a magic pill. Some basic water balancing is still necessary. Once people get on track, they usually find it works great for them.

Kind regards,

J

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

You can download the latest onzen guide from our website. Here is a link to the download section.

http://www.arcticspas.com/index.php/Manual...w-category.html

Kind regards,

James

James, when I bought my Klondiker last year they told me to put in between 5 and 8 pounds of salt (not exact), but the new literature says 3 pounds?? What's changed?

Hi:

I recently bought an Arctic Frontier with onzen (5 days ago). I may not understand the system...I think the onzen system is supposed to create Cl from sea salt, thereby negating the need to add chlorine.

The dealer has been impossible to reach for information. Essentially, they dropped off the spa, filled hit, connected it, gave me the manuals and told me to check pH, add Adjust Down if too high and to check ORP, with no instructions as to what to do with the ORP reading.

My spa is in UT at about 7000 feet. Temp is 104. Used daily. Water is crystal clear. Strip test reads VERY LOW Cl level, pH 7.8 (added one capful of Adjust Down) and alkalinity in acceptable range. The ORP reads 160. My spa is filtering for 2 hours 4 times a day, which I believe is the max. The ORP level has not changed in three days.

My questions:

Do I need to add salt or does the onzen system slowly increase the Cl content?

Do I need to change onzen setting or filtration setting? Am I at the max? Can I run 24 hours a day until Cl level gets up?

I've read about "Refresh" and should I get this and use it?

Do I need to worry at all, as the water seems fine?

As I understand it, ORP should be at least 400 for a residential spa. Why is mine so low? Does it slowly increased with time? Why is my chlorine so low?

Thanks.

'

Curious which dealer you purchased the tub from in Utah as I am in Utah here too and plan on visiting 2 Arctic Spa locations this weekend (time permitting)