Looking To Buy

3TCAT

Just started toying around the idea of purchasing my first tub. Looking to spend in the range of 4500.00 for a 4-5 person tub. What brands should i stay away from and which should i consider. Any help would be great. Thanks

Check the dealers in your area and sit in a few. Come back and ask the same question then with some local brands in your head.

Just started toying around the idea of purchasing my first tub. Looking to spend in the range of 4500.00 for a 4-5 person tub. What brands should i stay away from and which should i consider. Any help would be great. Thanks

Check the dealers in your area and sit in a few. Come back and ask the same question then with some local brands in your head.

Can't disagree with Roger, go see if there are some floor models or used models at your dealer, also check Craigslist. But at that price point, you're going to need to consider Evolution Strong on Costco.com

DK117

At $4,500 you're probably in the Costco price range. However, I'd urge you to consider a refurbished/used spa from a local dealer instead of Costco spas. They don't tend to have the greatest track record (granted some will disagree with that). Suffice it to say in my local market anyhow, Costco buyers almost always come to us asking for help and eventually buy a spa from us.

Check with local dealers and see what brands are offered. Hot Spring / Tiger River would be my first choice, Sundance is good too. In the $4,500 range you could probably look at some of Hot Spring's base model line which is called Hot Spot. Check with your dealer and see if any of them appeal to you.

From my recent experience as a new buyer, I think there are two things to do before asking your questions. First, find out what lines are available in your area. I live in a large metro area and still found that some lines that are highly recommended are not readily available here. So there was no purpose in evaluating them or asking about them with no local dealer/support. After finding which tubs are sold in your area, you can then do a search of this (and other) forums to see what is being reported on those lines and what the price ranges are. Once you do these two simple things, you can get much more useful advice. You give a price range but is it firm or just your guess at what a tub 'should' cost? You may find that a high quality tub that will serve and last 10 years is worth more money in the long run. That was one thing I discovered. I began thinking the price ranges would be around $5k and ended up buying a new Hot Spring Envoy at nearly twice that. It began snowing here today and I am about to run out and jump in my new Envoy for a 1st wintery soak. I don't regret the extra money spent, but I would have regretted a hasty decision based on not doing the research. Just my opinion, based on being in your position recently.

• 1 month later...

Please do not buy a spa from Costco!! If you want a spa, buy it from a spa dealer. Our company is a dealer for Sunbelt Spas and one of our programs to save customers money is to have the spa direct shipped to your home. This way you can get a quality spa for a low price. There are many spa manufacturers with models in the $4K range, but infortunately they all have issues. Whether it is with pumps, blowers, heat sensors or with acrilic problems, cheap spas are built cheap.

I can sell a spa on the internet from a high end manufacturer for 30%-40% less than I can from my showrooms in Ohio. If you are interested in buying a cadillac for the price of a dodge, contact us.

Please do not buy a spa from Costco!!

I can sell a spa on the internet from a high end manufacturer for 30%-40% less than I can from my showrooms in Ohio.

Hey Friend, I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Isn't this exactly what Costco is doing? Say whatever you want about Strong (before doing so I might suggest reading their thread here ... pretty good customer sat.) But Costco has economies of scale and 30 to 40% less than the showroom tubs (higer based upon the margin thread.) Argue local support and technical expertise. But to say "don't buy online from Costco, buy online from me" just doesn't resonate.

DK117

As far as what to stay away from? I'd stay away from Thermal Spas (the folks who advertise on TV), internet dealers, spas on Ebays and Master spas Tent sales and thier infamous traveling Spa Shows which where they rent out a convetion hall and claim they have 16 dealers and are liqidating spas.

To be honest, $4500 wont get you much in the spa world. It can get you a big box store spa, or a low end unit from a dealer, or a used spa from a private sale. All three options have pros and cons. I believe there to be more cons are that price point and would recomend you consider all your options before committing to anything.

At your price range stay away from glitzy extra's; Steroes, fancy light packages, waterfalls and gimicky extras.

If you read through this forum, you'll find most people agree not to be influenced with Jet count or HP ratings. Wet testing is highly encouraged and buying from a reputable dealer is recomended.

Do you live in an area that gets snow and sub freezing temps? If so, I'd be very cautious with what you purchase. Lower end tubs are infamous for being energy hogs and any savings up front will be quickly eaten away with electrical costs.

Lately this place has become a love fest for buget tubs through a big box retailer. I'm of the opinion that'slargely in part of folks have grown tired of arguing the same point over and over again with the same folks about the quality of spas offered at these prices. To be honest, if long term quality and energy efficency are a priority I wouldn't purchase one of these tubs.

I'm not a dealer. I've owned three spas in my life, and try to follow the industry and these forums as best as I can. My recomendation is to read through these fourms and get a better understanding of what's out there, look around, visit some dealers and then come back and lets talk about what you liked, didnt like and what your considerations and needs are.

have fun!

Stay away from Nordic... lousy reliability... had to cut mine up and it was only 6 years old... wanted $2000+ to fix it...

Whatever hot tub you choose, think about the insulation.. you won't be able to find a leak/cracked pipe with foam covering all the pipes/back of the jets. AND your tub will leak!! Make sure you have "easily removable" insulation... ... also, I do not recommend putting a deck around the Hot tub, while a deck looks good, when you get someone to come out and service it (leaks, pumps, whatever) they will either charge you extra (like $400-600) or say they don't have time...

Other than that.. good luck!