Spa Pads?

I bit the bullet, we bought the Arctic Yukon with the Onzen system. We expect delivery on/around December 15.

Now - site preparation. We will have ground that's fairly level, so - we are wondering about spa pads. We did see the ez-pad advertised. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or can they recommend anything else?

I bit the bullet, we bought the Arctic Yukon with the Onzen system. We expect delivery on/around December 15.

Now - site preparation. We will have ground that's fairly level, so - we are wondering about spa pads. We did see the ez-pad advertised. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or can they recommend anything else?

Not an expert by any stretch....not even close! But, we just got delivery on Friday of an Arctic Summit and spent about a month trying to deduce which was the best foundation for us. Our ground is also quite level. After talking, looking and reading a lot on-line we opted to go for a gravel/screening base. We dug down about 3 inches and filled the area with limestone screening and tampered it down so that it was very hard and very flat. It was almost as hard as concrete....when a bit of rain mixes in and it "sets". I looked at spa pads but Arctic kept insisting that this expense was not necessary....so I listened

I put in a HS sovereign a few weeks ago. I wanted to put in a slab, but a very wet fall didn't help. So I put in an ez-pad with a 2 in sand base under the pad. It hasn't moved or settled yet. So far I'm happy, but it was a lot of work getting a truly flat and level base. I thought my site was close to level. That was until I used a string level around the location of the new pad. Needless to say 9 in drop in a 96in run was a lot of digging.

Get an 8 foot 2 x 4 to help make a flat site. It is very easy to over look voids or bumps under the pad.

I put in a HS sovereign a few weeks ago. I wanted to put in a slab, but a very wet fall didn't help. So I put in an ez-pad with a 2 in sand base under the pad. It hasn't moved or settled yet. So far I'm happy, but it was a lot of work getting a truly flat and level base. I thought my site was close to level. That was until I used a string level around the location of the new pad. Needless to say 9 in drop in a 96in run was a lot of digging.

Get an 8 foot 2 x 4 to help make a flat site. It is very easy to over look voids or bumps under the pad.

Thanks for the hint on the 2 x 4. There's an existing tub there now, which will be moved out. Underneath that is a piece of marine grade plywood (headed for the dump - 12 years old) -- and underneath that is a heavy supply of stone dust. Good leveling stuff, so , once the tub is out of there, it should be pretty easy level and put down. I think I'll be purchasing the ez-pad, unless someone else can recommend a different pad for some reason....

Did you get the forever floor? It's very forgiving for the base you mention. Remember, top soil will heave like an old new england back road. Sounds like you won't have that issue!

Yes, I did get the Forever Floor but I also don't want to put it straight on the ground.

I guess I could use paving blocks as well, those concrete things that are 2.5 x 1.5 feet, but leveling could be a problem, so the spa pad seems like the easiest way to get a level set.

Of course, once the tub is on it, frost heaves won't cause a problem (weight) -- or, they shouldn't....

A concrete pad is always going to be your best option. Especially in climates where you have a freeze/thaw cycle.

This will also protect you against any warranty claims that my have a "spa pad clause" meaning if the pad was not done properly it will void warranty.

Patio stones will work, but they are much more work, moving each stone, leveling etc

In my opinion it is much easier to build a form that is level, pour your concrete and bam you are set.....

If it is getting too cold to pour your concrete, I personally would dig, build my forms, put in a gravel bed that is level for drainage, and for now set the spa on the gravel.....when spring comes around and you are doing your spring drain.....you can then pour your pad and put it back in place.....

Concrete is always the best option in my opinion......just make sure if you hire someone you tell them to make it level.....most concrete guys are use to putting a slight pitch in the concrete to avoid puddling as well as keeping any rain or water build up from going towards the house

A concrete pad is always going to be your best option. Especially in climates where you have a freeze/thaw cycle.

This will also protect you against any warranty claims that my have a "spa pad clause" meaning if the pad was not done properly it will void warranty.

Patio stones will work, but they are much more work, moving each stone, leveling etc

In my opinion it is much easier to build a form that is level, pour your concrete and bam you are set.....

If it is getting too cold to pour your concrete, I personally would dig, build my forms, put in a gravel bed that is level for drainage, and for now set the spa on the gravel.....when spring comes around and you are doing your spring drain.....you can then pour your pad and put it back in place.....

Concrete is always the best option in my opinion......just make sure if you hire someone you tell them to make it level.....most concrete guys are use to putting a slight pitch in the concrete to avoid puddling as well as keeping any rain or water build up from going towards the house

I too agree on the concrete.

One thing about the leveling though....it is against code in most places to have a perfectly level pad of concrete connected to your house. You MUST have it sloped for run off.

In the end, you want a little pitch so that if you are spilling water or get super heavy rain it wont go in the basement.

I poured my pad to have 1/2" drop in 8 feet....which was a little under the pitch requirement for the building codes...but I explained to the inspector that it was for a spa and he let me by with it.

Anyways....a little pitch is a good thing.

Did you get the forever floor? It's very forgiving for the base you mention. Remember, top soil will heave like an old new england back road. Sounds like you won't have that issue!

Yes, I did get the Forever Floor but I also don't want to put it straight on the ground.

I guess I could use paving blocks as well, those concrete things that are 2.5 x 1.5 feet, but leveling could be a problem, so the spa pad seems like the easiest way to get a level set.

Of course, once the tub is on it, frost heaves won't cause a problem (weight) -- or, they shouldn't....

Please don't underestimate frost heave - this will move anything, including the weight of a tub!

Please don't underestimate frost heave - this will move anything, including the weight of a tub!

True that! First it creeps in from the side and then heads into the ground. I've heard about somebody walking over their sewer pipe and the compression caused the frost strata 48 inches into the ground and froze the pipe.