Artic Spa (now Im Really Confused)

Nigel

It's been a while since i have been on here, but i retrieved my password and can now once again question Onzen and artic Spa.

Today i drained my tub as once again it had gone to the dogs.

I have refilled the tub half with normal tap water and half via my water softner.

As i needed more Onzen salt i popped in to my local Artic Spa dealer and found once again the whole set up of running an Onzen system has changed again.

I came out of the store $300 worse off, though i do hope it works!

I was advised to purchase the new Aqua Finesse to add to my Onzen salt, no more excess chemicals i was told.

I was also advised to purchase a new filter, a filter i was origonaly told not to buy 12 months ago. So i now have have the Pleatco Pure filter.

Upon the refil, i was advised to add 6 cups of Onzen salt to the tub, then the usual 2 caps of down every 2 hrs for 6 hrs.

Once my PH and ALK are fine, add the Aqua Finesse and all should be good.

My question is, if this is the new way forward, how come Arctic don't contact customers to let them know?

I have had my spa for 13 months and still the setup and what to do keeps changing.

Secondly, The Electrode looks like it has a calcium build up on it one again, i have already had 2 replaced, is anyone else constantly having the same problem,

The store told me to contact the service people and they may tell me how to clean it?

The store advised that this new Aqua Finesse will help control the calcium and i would no longer have to use Best Defence.

I have a Sumit Spa, is anyone else using the Aqua Finesse?

Nigel

Did you get the fix for your Onzen system? I bought Cub signature series tub. Have had it since July. Had to have warranty work on it to update onzen system cause it didn't work. Since then I filled tub up and had crystal clear water but now it's all cloudy again after only a couple of weeks of use. I test the water all the time and all levels appear OK using test strips. When I take water into store for testing they always say something different. To be honest I don't think they know what they are talking about because print out will say one thing then they tell me to do differently. I really like my tub but am disappointed with all the hype about how good these tubs are suppose to be. When I bought the tub they told me I only had to change water twice a year. What a bunch of BS. I can't be changing my water every month. Too expensive on the hydro meter. Anyways if anyone else has any advise please advise me.

Hello Gentlemen,

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you are having with your onzen systems. I would like to help. Can you pm your spa serial numbers and I will look into it and get in touch with you and help get this sorted out for you.

Again I am sorry for your difficulties. Don't worry though, I am confident I can get you up and running properly.

Thanks for your patience.

James

I purchased a Frontier this summer................. honestly I believe to the Arctic Spa, in theory at least, as being a leader in the industry, I am even more sold on the product after the purchase upon further research than I was when I bought it,............... HOWEVER ......I too am experiencing problems with my Onzen system but I am trying to keep positive. I came across this forum tonight and have joined to further my understanding of the system.

I can sympathize and relate with others when they say they are confused because the last month I have been banging my head against the wall with my local dealer, I will get to the bottom of the problem very soon because I have been contacting the Onzen Customer Support Line and have ventured out of town to another Arctic Dealer ( about a 250 Km return trip).

I think the dealers need to be way more educated on these systems, told about the many help videos on youtube ( it is absolutely ridiculous that myself, as a customer bring this to their attention at both dealers who were both unaware) and at least have some type of online course or training that they Must pass in order to sell the systems, doing so would be nipping many problems in the bud. The time and effort that I am putting in to research and understand this system is very disappointing.Yes it is a learning experience but I honestly think that the service dept. at my dealer anyhow, should be formally trained. I hope my next 2 months are better than the last 2.

bobabooi,

I am sure you will have some good times with your spa.

My first 2 months were a nightmare, conflicting info from the dealers etc....

I did get about 3 months of no problems out of my spa over the spring into summer, it was great.

But it came to an end.

Mainly due to an elctrode isssue which is being worked on.

Like yourself, i believe and still do that i bought a very high quality spa, but Onzen does test the patience somewhat.

James,

It was great chatting with you today, that really did mean something to me as a customer and i appriciate your time

and i look forward to resloving the issue in the coming days and get back to relaxing.

Nigel

Hello Gentlemen,

Firstly, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you are having with your onzen systems. I would like to help. Can you pm your spa serial numbers and I will look into it and get in touch with you and help get this sorted out for you.

Again I am sorry for your difficulties. Don't worry though, I am confident I can get you up and running properly.

Thanks for your patience.

James

Are you a rep. for Arctic Spas?

I am with Arctic. I am just out of town on business for the weekend. Can I get back to you on Monday or Tuesday? What can I do to help?

James

James

I have 2 week old Arctic Spa Yukon with the Onzen system.

The test trips do not register any Bromine however the dealer says all levels are fine.

The water is always cloudy, and it is difficult to see the bottom of the spa.

I use Refresh/Boost after each use and have checked the filter.

I bumped the CP level back up to 6 and now filter 4x/day for 2 hours.

I am very frustrated.

Blumpster

James

I have 2 week old Arctic Spa Yukon with the Onzen system.

The test trips do not register any Bromine however the dealer says all levels are fine.

The water is always cloudy, and it is difficult to see the bottom of the spa.

I use Refresh/Boost after each use and have checked the filter.

I bumped the CP level back up to 6 and now filter 4x/day for 2 hours.

I am very frustrated.

Blumpster

Hey Blumpster,

Sorry for your troubles with Onzen and the water chemistry. Can you pm your spa serial number and I will get in touch with you to see if I can solve your problem.

Kind regards,

James

You can add me in to the mix on this problem. I have experienced everything that Nigel and the rest of you have detailed. My favourite is the constant discrepancy between my strips and when I take my water into the store and get it tested. I never seem to leave the store without at least 50 - 100 dollars worth of new chemicals, etc. I have had several visits from the tech repair guy and have had the electrodes replaced, etc, etc,

Take heart however, I have discovered a solution to the whole mess.

Empty and thoroughly clean your tub, get a new filter, set it up properly with one of the various versions of the "Cheat Sheets" that Arctic spa comes out with, get your levels proper and wait for several days until they are stable and the water is crystal clear.

From then forward, and this is the IMPORTANT:

1) Stay as clean as possible especially in regard to any soap that is on your body. Even a touch of soap from a shower you had that day is trouble.

2) If you or a female has even a hint of lipstick, body lotions, underarm, etc, unless you shower first thoroughly and get it all off STAY OUT OF THE TUB.

3) Try not to have more than one or two in the tub at once and not for long. If you have several in the tub for a while, your levels will be shot for DAYS.

4) Try not to wear bathing suits, but if you do, make sure they are the same ones over and over and that you never launder them.

5) Don't forget a sprinkle of Refresh after use and at least once a week.

*6) By far the most important of all rules, use the tub as little as possible ( once to twice a week ). This is the only way the ONZEN system can keep up.

I have found that by obeying these rules and especially RULE 6 that I now have a tub that is useable. The True Secret to ONZEN is use the tub very very sparingly. It is the only way for the tub to get back after you have been in it. The system just cant keep up. If you think I am wrong I challenge ANYONE in this forum, aside from an Arctic Spa employee, to use the tub 3 to 4 times a week with several bathers and without superhuman efforts to keep it clean.

By the way, when Onzen lets you down, and it will, a further method to help is to use Peak Boost. It will get the sanitizer up quickly although it will not last and you will have to wait for the Onzen to slowly get back in order. It will at least help when you have had several bathers in and your levels are totally Shot, as this always happens.

Sorry to be the bearer of this kind of news, however, this has been the only way that I have been able to consistently use this tub without the usual nightmares of Low sanitizer, cloudy water, etc, etc, etc, ..... You will be told by an Arctic Spa rep that I am wrong and that they use their tubs almost every day and with several bathers and that everything is great and the water is crystal clear, but I have to say that I have yet to see this. I am not against Arctic Spa, as I love the tub, and wish that I could use it a lot more, but I have to deal with reality. The tub works under limited use.

BMR

You can add me in to the mix on this problem. I have experienced everything that Nigel and the rest of you have detailed. My favourite is the constant discrepancy between my strips and when I take my water into the store and get it tested. I never seem to leave the store without at least 50 - 100 dollars worth of new chemicals, etc. I have had several visits from the tech repair guy and have had the electrodes replaced, etc, etc,

Take heart however, I have discovered a solution to the whole mess.

Empty and thoroughly clean your tub, get a new filter, set it up properly with one of the various versions of the "Cheat Sheets" that Arctic spa comes out with, get your levels proper and wait for several days until they are stable and the water is crystal clear.

From then forward, and this is the IMPORTANT:

1) Stay as clean as possible especially in regard to any soap that is on your body. Even a touch of soap from a shower you had that day is trouble.

2) If you or a female has even a hint of lipstick, body lotions, underarm, etc, unless you shower first thoroughly and get it all off STAY OUT OF THE TUB.

3) Try not to have more than one or two in the tub at once and not for long. If you have several in the tub for a while, your levels will be shot for DAYS.

4) Try not to wear bathing suits, but if you do, make sure they are the same ones over and over and that you never launder them.

5) Don't forget a sprinkle of Refresh after use and at least once a week.

*6) By far the most important of all rules, use the tub as little as possible ( once to twice a week ). This is the only way the ONZEN system can keep up.

I have found that by obeying these rules and especially RULE 6 that I now have a tub that is useable. The True Secret to ONZEN is use the tub very very sparingly. It is the only way for the tub to get back after you have been in it. The system just cant keep up. If you think I am wrong I challenge ANYONE in this forum, aside from an Arctic Spa employee, to use the tub 3 to 4 times a week with several bathers and without superhuman efforts to keep it clean.

By the way, when Onzen lets you down, and it will, a further method to help is to use Peak Boost. It will get the sanitizer up quickly although it will not last and you will have to wait for the Onzen to slowly get back in order. It will at least help when you have had several bathers in and your levels are totally Shot, as this always happens.

Sorry to be the bearer of this kind of news, however, this has been the only way that I have been able to consistently use this tub without the usual nightmares of Low sanitizer, cloudy water, etc, etc, etc, ..... You will be told by an Arctic Spa rep that I am wrong and that they use their tubs almost every day and with several bathers and that everything is great and the water is crystal clear, but I have to say that I have yet to see this. I am not against Arctic Spa, as I love the tub, and wish that I could use it a lot more, but I have to deal with reality. The tub works under limited use.

BMR

Hi BMR,

My apologies for the troubles you have been having with your onzen system. You really should be able to use your spa daily without any difficulty.

I am not going to contradict you. I think you may be having a problem with your onzen system and would like to see what I can do to help. Can you PM me your spa serial number and I will contact you after reviewing your file.

Kind regards,

James

Hi BMR,

My apologies for the troubles you have been having with your onzen system. You really should be able to use your spa daily without any difficulty.

I am not going to contradict you. I think you may be having a problem with your onzen system and would like to see what I can do to help. Can you PM me your spa serial number and I will contact you after reviewing your file.

Kind regards,

James

James, no apologies necessary, it certainly is not your fault ...

I do not mind getting you the info that you have asked for and will send it to you. Unfortunately you will be about the 5th person with expertise in this area to assist me. I wholeheartedly believe that Arctic Spa has the best of intentions and is willing to help, but I cannot help but wonder about the equipment itself ( specifically the ONZEN system).

Once again though, I will ask the same question that I always ask of Actic Spa people and hope you can provide a convincing answer,

"Is it possible to have a tub, that once is set up will allow me to use it on a regular basis ( say 3-4 times a week with my two sons and wife ) and that will stay clean and above all have clear water, that is entirely reliant upon the Onzen System set at say CP3 or CP4, that does not require superhuman effort to keep in that state?"

I have owned my tub since Oct 2008 and have to this day never seen this happen. The moment I try to use it in that manner, my Bromine ( Sanitizer level ) will drop so low that the tub will be unuseable within two weeks.

BMR

James

I did the refill Saturday as per your way, last night i have a very very good bromine reading, the first time i have had one within 24hrs of a refill!!

Things are looking positive!

I will keep you posted how it goes, i am now writing a journal on everything i do with the tub.

Thanks James,

BMR,

All of the six you mentioned i thought the same.

Nigel

James

I did the refill Saturday as per your way, last night i have a very very good bromine reading, the first time i have had one within 24hrs of a refill!!

Things are looking positive!

I will keep you posted how it goes, i am now writing a journal on everything i do with the tub.

Thanks James,

Hey Nigel,

Glad to hear that it is coming along well. Keep an eye on the bromine level. You may now need to look at turning down your CP setting to 3 once the bromine reading is consistently within the ideal range.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Well folks it's interesting to hear all your comments. I know I am not the only one with problems with my tub because I am having the exact same problems with mine. BMR you hit the nail on the head. I have been in touch with James who I have found out is a part owner of Arctic spa, Hi James, how was your trip to Hawaii? He really has been a big help and I know you have the best of intentions. I have had the latest update on my tub, new and improved Onzen system, filled my tub, adjusted everything as stated, have been watching everyday the state of my water, but now it is getting cloudy again. I will say that the bromine levels with the new system has been able to keep up with the production of bromine. I'm on CP3 and may have to set it down again. My Ph was high and have just today put in Adjust Down and it seems right now. I'm still learning about everything with being a new hot tub owner. It is frustrating to have people over and they ask why my water is cloudy. Is it really this difficult to own a hot tub and keep the water clear?

Well folks feel free to comment as I am sure everyone will. I am interested in know how this Auqua Finese product does so if anyone has any info please pass it along.

Did you get the fix for your Onzen system? I bought Cub signature series tub. Have had it since July. Had to have warranty work on it to update onzen system cause it didn't work. Since then I filled tub up and had crystal clear water but now it's all cloudy again after only a couple of weeks of use. I test the water all the time and all levels appear OK using test strips. When I take water into store for testing they always say something different. To be honest I don't think they know what they are talking about because print out will say one thing then they tell me to do differently. I really like my tub but am disappointed with all the hype about how good these tubs are suppose to be. When I bought the tub they told me I only had to change water twice a year. What a bunch of BS. I can't be changing my water every month. Too expensive on the hydro meter. Anyways if anyone else has any advise please advise me.

we have an onzen tub (nothing but trouble) We were retrofitted Septmber 21, 2009. Today I called service because the water has gone to crap again and they tell me that for the last 3 weeks they have been retrofitting again this time with something called the onzen 7 and they assure me (pause for synical giggle) that this will be the answer. So good luck to you guys and I hope they come up with something soon or else I own a $15,000.00 planter

HI Nigel,

James is back tomorrow or the day after I believe, and he has been using Aqua Finesse in his spa. He wll have better information than I do, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to get him in touch with you.

Vern

It's been a while since i have been on here, but i retrieved my password and can now once again question Onzen and artic Spa.

I have refilled the tub half with normal tap water and half via my water softner.

As i needed more Onzen salt i popped in to my local Artic Spa dealer and found once again the whole set up of running an Onzen system has changed again.

I was advised to purchase the new Aqua Finesse to add to my Onzen salt, no more excess chemicals i was told.

I was also advised to purchase a new filter, a filter i was origonaly told not to buy 12 months ago. So i now have have the Pleatco Pure filter.

Upon the refil, i was advised to add 6 cups of Onzen salt to the tub, then the usual 2 caps of down every 2 hrs for 6 hrs.

My question is, if this is the new way forward, how come Arctic don't contact customers to let them know?

I have had my spa for 13 months and still the setup and what to do keeps changing.

Secondly, The Electrode looks like it has a calcium build up on it one again, i have already had 2 replaced, is anyone else constantly having the same problem,

The store told me to contact the service people and they may tell me how to clean it?

The store advised that this new Aqua Finesse will help control the calcium and i would no longer have to use Best Defence.

Nigel

HI Nigel,

James is back tomorrow or the day after I believe, and he has been using Aqua Finesse in his spa. He wll have better information than I do, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to get him in touch with you.

Vern

Nigel

Hey Nigel,

I have talked to James about Aqua Finesse and his comment a couple of weeks ago was the following:

-Blue Falls is still testing the product for use in Arctic tubs

-It is a dealer recommendation to use it at this point in time not a manufacturers recommendation

James if I have miss quoted you please correct me. I am just trying to get a fellow Arctic spa customer accurate information in your absence.

It was recommended to me by my dealer so I bought it and the pleated filter back in October. I started to use it (2 weeks) and then had the Onzen retrofit version 7 (had to drain tub) completed. The tech who fixed the tub told me to use Aqua Finesse. I have decided not to put it in based on my recent conversation with James and the fact that the stuff is way to expensive. I too will try to contact James in part to ask the Aqua Finesse question and secondly to give him an update (good news) on our Onzen retrofit.

FYI Onzen version 7 has worked amazing so far (it has been 3-4 weeks). CP6 for 24 hours, then had to turn CP back to 4, then 2 and now I toggle back between CP2 or CP3 depending on my sanitizer levels/bather load/frequency.

Cheers,

Budge

Hey Nigel,

I have talked to James about Aqua Finesse and his comment a couple of weeks ago was the following:

-It is a dealer recommendation to use it at this point in time not a manufacturers recommendation

James if I have miss quoted you please correct me. I am just trying to get a fellow Arctic spa customer accurate information in your absence.

It was recommended to me by my dealer so I bought it and the pleated filter back in October. I started to use it (2 weeks) and then had the Onzen retrofit version 7 (had to drain tub) completed. The tech who fixed the tub told me to use Aqua Finesse. I have decided not to put it in based on my recent conversation with James and the fact that the stuff is way to expensive. I too will try to contact James in part to ask the Aqua Finesse question and secondly to give him an update (good news) on our Onzen retrofit.

FYI Onzen version 7 has worked amazing so far (it has been 3-4 weeks). CP6 for 24 hours, then had to turn CP back to 4, then 2 and now I toggle back between CP2 or CP3 depending on my sanitizer levels/bather load/frequency.

Cheers,

Budge

When did this Version 7 come out. I had a retrofit done back in the end of August. Is this a new retrofit?

I have discovered over the last few months that the onzen system for Arctic Spas cannot keep up with the amount of times we use it.

For my wife and I during the week it seems to be fine, but the weekends with a few more people the bromine just drops like crazy and takes a week to re-produce the right amount.

Hello,

Well folks it's interesting to hear all your comments. I know I am not the only one with problems with my tub because I am having the exact same problems with mine. BMR you hit the nail on the head. I have been in touch with James who I have found out is a part owner of Arctic spa, Hi James, how was your trip to Hawaii? He really has been a big help and I know you have the best of intentions. I have had the latest update on my tub, new and improved Onzen system, filled my tub, adjusted everything as stated, have been watching everyday the state of my water, but now it is getting cloudy again. I will say that the bromine levels with the new system has been able to keep up with the production of bromine. I'm on CP3 and may have to set it down again. My Ph was high and have just today put in Adjust Down and it seems right now. I'm still learning about everything with being a new hot tub owner. It is frustrating to have people over and they ask why my water is cloudy. Is it really this difficult to own a hot tub and keep the water clear?

Well folks feel free to comment as I am sure everyone will. I am interested in know how this Auqua Finese product does so if anyone has any info please pass it along.

Hawaii was fabulous! Thanks for asking. I took a surfing lesson and so did my oldest daughter. We surfed a couple of times and snorkelled in Molokini. Other then that I sat around at the beach or pool and ate like crazy and did no training at all. Exactly what a holiday should be.

So you say your water was clear for some time and now it is cloudy and you noticed your pH was high? I expect that your high pH has caused some precipitation. I recommend that you rinse your filter out daily now that you have your pH down and see if it clears up. My bet is it will in a few days. Let me know though.

James

we have an onzen tub (nothing but trouble) We were retrofitted Septmber 21, 2009. Today I called service because the water has gone to crap again and they tell me that for the last 3 weeks they have been retrofitting again this time with something called the onzen 7 and they assure me (pause for synical giggle) that this will be the answer. So good luck to you guys and I hope they come up with something soon or else I own a $15,000.00 planter

Hey Carriebelinda,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your onzen system, however, I am confident that the newest system onzen version 7 will solve the issue of not producing enough sanitizer. That being said, no system balances all the water chemistry issues one can face in a hot tub. In most situations where people are having issues with the onzen system pH has played a big roll in the issues also. Rest assured we and your dealer will do everything we can to help you get your water balanced. I am always available for advice on your water chemistry as well.

Kind regards,

James

Hey Nigel,

Cheers,

Budge

Hey Budge,

Glad to hear everything is working well with your new onzen system! I have been testing Aqua Finesse and it is working well in my spa. We are trying to verify with the supplier that it will not harm the plastics in the spa. So far everything looks good in my spa but we cannot endorse it until we are sure it will not harm the spa. My only other concern with Aqua Finesse is that it is rather expensive and the point of designing the onzen system was to simplify water chemistry and reduce chemical costs to customers.

I'll keep you posted of my findings.

Kind regards,

James

When did this Version 7 come out. I had a retrofit done back in the end of August. Is this a new retrofit?

I have discovered over the last few months that the onzen system for Arctic Spas cannot keep up with the amount of times we use it.

For my wife and I during the week it seems to be fine, but the weekends with a few more people the bromine just drops like crazy and takes a week to re-produce the right amount.

Hey Nigel,

I can't remember. Where are you located? Once I know that I can tell you if your spa has been retrofitted with the latest version or not.

Kind regards,

James

James and Budge

James, i am in Cambridge.

They did the refit about 4 weeks ago now and everything is perfect, water looks great no foam and everytime i lift off the cover i see the Onzen working, it's great.

I hope i don't jinx myself but we are really enjoying the spa now.

I have followed your reccomendation for weekly care, 1 cap of refresh and 15ml of Best Defence per 1000 litre instead of Aqua Finesse and it's doing it's job.

No problems like i use to have.

As for Aqua Finesse, a very expensive suppliment to the spa i could do with out.

Budge,

So happy you finally got your sorted out, it's been a long year for the two of us, but light at the end of that very dark long tunnel finally arrived.

Nigel