Old Jacuzzi Running In Low Speed 24/7 Yikes!

EricMN

I was given an old Jacuzi Espree spa and it is a dinosaur! It holds 170 gallons and runs on 120v. It is up and running and have been enjoying it for a few weeks. I thought that when it is in heater/filter mode that the motor would turn off when the temp was reached, but it keeps running even when the temp gets to the setting. Everything is mannual, no electronics, and I am concerned that it is possibly too old for that feature!! I am terrified to see what my electrical bills could be with the 1 hp pump running in low speed 24 /7. Besides that, I am concerned that the motor may burn out quickly! Does this sound normal for an old hot tub (maybe late 80's early 90's)? If so, it is ok to run like this, besides the energy use?

Thanks!!

Eric

Thanks, but I am wondering if the newer circulation pumps are smaller and designed to run 24 /7. My 1 hp 2 speed pump runs always on low, maybe there is something with the way the heater is hooked up and not telling the pump to shut off when the temp is reached. The cord from the heater has 3 wires, that I am guesing are hot, nuetral and ground. Does anyone know if there should be be any addtional wires coming from the built in theomstat in the heater to the contol box? The box simpy consit of an airswitch, 2 identical relays.

thanks,

Eric

I was given an old Jacuzi Espree spa and it is a dinosaur! It holds 170 gallons and runs on 120v. It is up and running and have been enjoying it for a few weeks. I thought that when it is in heater/filter mode that the motor would turn off when the temp was reached, but it keeps running even when the temp gets to the setting. Everything is mannual, no electronics, and I am concerned that it is possibly too old for that feature!! I am terrified to see what my electrical bills could be with the 1 hp pump running in low speed 24 /7. Besides that, I am concerned that the motor may burn out quickly! Does this sound normal for an old hot tub (maybe late 80's early 90's)? If so, it is ok to run like this, besides the energy use?

Thanks!!

Eric

Is there any time clocks on the spa. The old units used time clocks to run the pump in filter mode. Also look for a switch that might have been turn to continuous filter.

It won't hurt the motor any. they would love to run all the time, its the start stop the hard on them.

It will hurt your electric bill

Thanks, but I am wondering if the newer circulation pumps are smaller and designed to run 24 /7. My 1 hp 2 speed pump runs always on low, maybe there is something with the way the heater is hooked up and not telling the pump to shut off when the temp is reached. The cord from the heater has 3 wires, that I am guesing are hot, nuetral and ground. Does anyone know if there should be be any addtional wires coming from the built in theomstat in the heater to the contol box? The box simpy consit of an airswitch, 2 identical relays.

thanks,

Eric

For a small tub, the old Espree is hard to beat and proves how a quality tub can last and last and last and last. That tub is now over 20 years old. It can probably last another 20 years, if you are careful with the chemicals and maintain it. That motor can run 24/7/365 for many, many years.

It sounds like you have the original Espree with a push button door interlock and two AC relays. If so, you will have three wires going to your heater and the thermostat will NOT turn the motor off once the temperature is reached. That model has to be controlled by an external timer if you want the motor to be shut down automatically (or manually set to the off position). A subsequent version of the Espree with three relays had five wires going to the heater and allowed the motor to shut off once temperature was reached. The last iteration of that tub kept the five wire arrangement, but added bridge rectifiers and DC relays.

Oh, and for external timing, Jacuzzi used standard Intermatic timers.

John

Thank you for all the info. Yes it sounds like I have the orginal Espree, and it still looks almost like new,besides the redwood skitting needs a little work. If I were going to use the external timer, is this just a 20 amp timer that plugs into the wall, kind of like a christmas light timer?

thanks

Eric

Thank you for all the info. Yes it sounds like I have the orginal Espree, and it still looks almost like new,besides the redwood skitting needs a little work. If I were going to use the external timer, is this just a 20 amp timer that plugs into the wall, kind of like a christmas light timer?

thanks

Eric

Essentially, yes. I would not use one of the Christmas light timers though, as they tend to NOT support 20 amp operation. You want one of the intermatic timers in a weatherproof box that have a true 20 amp NEMA receptacle for the tub to plug into. Also, make sure the cord end GFCI tests OK.

John