Just Got A Free Tub.....now What?

drewskie

I saw an ad on craigslist for a free tub, that supposedly works well, but was never tested. I picked it up (real p.i.t.a), and now I have a few questions... as usual. Fisrt off, it looks like about 10 of the larger jets are completely missing, so i know they need to be replaced, is it something I can do myself? Also, is there any way to check if it works without hooking the entire thing up, i.e a spa repairman using a machine or something? It's a 2001 Sundance Altamar. And another major question i have is.........

Will the tub's moisture ruin a wooden patio? The house I will be installing the tub at is already wired and has a concrete slab but it's under a wooden patio, maybe 5 feet above where the tub would sit. Teh owner of the house (renting) says that the hot tub will ruin the patio wood quickly because of all the moisture it creates, is there any tructh to this? if so, how can I avoid it so he'll allow me to put the tub there? Thank you again.

The deck wood is most likely pressure treated and should be sealed. If it is made of regular wood it will rot to the ground anyway within a year or two. Since it is probably pressure treated it will be fine. If the deck is old get a few gallons of Thompsons Water seal for wood and reseal it before placing the tub. If you do it will certainly be fine.

What is most important about this is that you make DAMN sure that deck can support the weight of the tub water and occupants. Mine weighs ~5,500LBS with everyone in it. I built the hell out of my deck. Where the tub sits there are four 4"x4" posts 3' into the ground with concrete. The deck is not more than 1' off the ground. Two 2"x10" joists/collars linking two posts held by 1/2" carriage bolts. Same on the two posts on the other side of the tub. On top of that there are 2"x6" joists every 14"s perpendicular to the 2"x10" collars and resting on them. Then on top of that are the 5/4"x6" deck boards. My entire deck is built that way specifically to hold the tub but it only needs to be that strong where the tub is. You can call the manufacturer or look on their website for the specs on your tub. if the deck were to shatter under the load of the tub and occupants the tub will likely be destroyed and the occupants could be severely injured of killed. You should have a structural engineer look at the deck to see if it can take the weight or there is a specific part of the deck strong enough, He may be able to show you how to brace it for the weight. Good Luck with the tub! Jim

Thank you for the replies.... I think I may have written that wrong, the patio wood is ABOVE the hot tub, it will be sitting on concrete, but there is a patio roof above it, that the landlord says may be ruined my the tubs moisture rising up.

That should also be treated wood. Like I said, if it is not treated it will be coming down soon anyway. The landlord is full of it! The tub wont harm anything.

Does anyone else know about the moisture/wood problem? I'm trying tio convince the landlord to let me put the tub under the patio.

As a Carpenter with 40 + years exp. Tell your land lord if the roof framing is built out of treated southern yellow pine ( most common ) or western red wood ( unlikely because of cost ) There is nothing to worry about. Pressure treated pine will with stand constant moisture ( example fence posts) docks - feed lots with tons of urine and manure ( as a farmer I speck from experence about feed lots.) If the framing is SPF # 1 or 2 common it will rot and decay anyway hot tub or not. besides the tub will be covered 95% of the day any way. The moisture in the air will have more effect.