Elite Spas

dnjsdad

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the Platinum Elite??? If so...

We have had ours for about 1 month, its the 2nd spa we have owned. We use it pretty much every day...usually more then once a day. Family of 6.

We like it alot. Jets have good power, seats seem comfortable. Stereo is nice. Waterfall seems like a waste. Cover remover is kinda flimsy but works much better then not having one. Max temp is 104, wish it could go hotter then that, but they says its a safety issue. Company has responded to both my emails very fast. Love the price. Have heard they cost alot to heat, but have not gotten a bill yet, so cannot respond to that yet.

You mean the Platinum Elite??? If so...

We have had ours for about 1 month, its the 2nd spa we have owned. We use it pretty much every day...usually more then once a day. Family of 6.

We like it alot. Jets have good power, seats seem comfortable. Stereo is nice. Waterfall seems like a waste. Cover remover is kinda flimsy but works much better then not having one. Max temp is 104, wish it could go hotter then that, but they says its a safety issue. Company has responded to both my emails very fast. Love the price. Have heard they cost alot to heat, but have not gotten a bill yet, so cannot respond to that yet.

I'm surprised that you still are not aware after now owning your second spa that it is unhealthy for the human body to be exposed to water over 104 for extended periods of time; thus the limitation by all mfgs. If you want hotter water, I hear the Persian Gulf warms to about 120 in the summer! :o

I've had my Platinum Elite I for just over 2 years and am still very happy with my purchase. I had to contact the CS recently over a minor problem (not the spas fault) and I received excellent service. If your a do it yourself type, want to save some bucks and avoid all the dealer/sales BS the spa is a good deal (IMHO), plus it comes with Costco's money back guarantee.

If you want a "name brand" spa and live in the Pacific NW, Marquis has several factory outlet stores in the Salem, OR area. You can buy a factory refurbished Marquis with full warranty for 50% or less than the price of the same model new, of course choice is limited to what they have in stock.

Good luck

NightRyder

I'm surprised that you still are not aware after now owning your second spa that it is unhealthy for the human body to be exposed to water over 104 for extended periods of time;

Can you provide ANY documented evidence to support this? Can you even list any of these supposed "dangers"? I thought not.

Can you provide ANY documented evidence to support this? Can you even list any of these supposed "dangers"? I thought not.

Sorry Doc but I believe hyperthermia is well documented. To keep your good health, there are certain things you should know about maintaining the proper water temperature in your hot tub. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends never allowing the temperature of the water in your hot tub to exceed 104ºF. Water temperatures over 110ºF have caused a number of deaths, according to their findings. They cite that high water temperatures can cause drowsiness to occur that may lead to unconsciousness and drowning. The hot water will raise your body temperature, and thus your blood pressure, that may lead to heat stroke and death. They advise against pregnant women (since excessive water temperatures have a high potential for causing fetal damage during the early months of pregnancy) and young children (since their bodies do not get used to temperature changes as easily as adults do) using hot tubs before consulting a physician. Individuals suffering from obesity or having a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory system problems, or diabetes should also consult a physician before using a hot tub.

Aside from these comments, many hot tub manufacturers recommend never drinking alcoholic beverages before, during, and/or after soaking in a hot tub. Alcohol expands your blood vessels and increases your body temperature. So does your hot tub! The combined effect may raise your body temperature too much, leading to a stroke or heart attack. It may also cause dizziness, nausea, and/or lightheadedness leading to unconsciousness and potential drowning or a slipping accident. This argument holds true for certain medications/narcotics that raise blood pressure of body temperature.

To get really technical about increased body temperature dangers prolonged immersion in hot water that is warmer than normal body temperature can lead to Hyperthermia. This dangerous condition occurs when your internal body temperature increases above what is considered the normal body temperature of 98.6ºF. Hypothermia may result in many of the symptoms listed above. This may result in an individual's inability to leave the hot tub or desire to leave the hot tub, if needed. For this reason, it is recommended that soakers take breaks during soaking and leave the hot tub after 15 minutes, to allow your body to cool down.

Let me know. I really only want to hear from people who own these Platinum elite spas. Likes or dislikes.

Thanks,

Dnjsdad

I bought a PE2 in July and really like it. The tub is easy to maintain, the cover fits great and is very sturdy, the tub looks nice, it has a lot of jets and they are powerful and adjustable, the shell is very well made and solid, the shell support with the bottom on it are very good, the controls are digital and work well, the heater does the job, the cd/radio/mp3 player is awesome, and the led light that changes colors is a really nice feature. Stuff I don't like: the aromatherapy thing...we've never even used it once, the waterfall should shoot the water up a little higher in an arc, the little pillows are difficult to remove without tearing them (you have to use a slim pry tool carefully) andit would be nice if it had a step molded into the seat rather than just having to step on the seat when you get in.

The PE3 looks like it is even better than the PE2 but I wish I had been able to buy the PE1 instead of waiting for the PE2 because I would have had a hot tub a year sooner. The most important feature in the hot tub is the hot water.

I caught that typo a couple minutes ago...thanks! :P

I really appreciate your responses. Thanks all. I think that I am going to wait for the PE3. I went to costco and they do not have any on order at this time they do have them in there system though my back cant wait for it to arrive. I also sat in a PE2 and I actually fit under the neck jets which is a great plus for me, I have a really long upper torso and sat in a few other manufactures and did not fit under there neck jets. Thanks again,

Dnjsdad

BRING IT ON FROZEN TUNDRA BOY!

"Sorry Doc but I believe hyperthermia is well documented."

Why yes it is, but not in relationship to HOT TUBS!

"To keep your good health, there are certain things you should know about maintaining the proper water temperature in your hot tub."

Again, show me ANY documented evidence showing anything related to HEALTH and hot tubs.

In Japan, many public bath houses have water up to 115 ºF.

"The US Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends never allowing the temperature of the water in your hot tub to exceed 104ºF."

Are you aware that there is actually NO MEDICAL EVIDANCE backing this up? No studies at all. Yes, higher temps can cause drowsiness, passing out, and drowning. And yes, drowning is an effect on your health :blink: . But in terms of damaging your body, in a non-lethal kind of way. SHOW ME A STUDY.

"Water temperatures over 110ºF have caused a number of deaths, according to their findings."

Big difference between 104 and 110. BIG. Personally, I think 104 is cold. 107 is perfect, and 110 is difficult to get into (I wont even mention my 114 experience....... oops, guess I did)

"The hot water will raise your body temperature, and thus your blood pressure, that may lead to heat stroke and death."

The CPSC report you're reading is from 1979! Actually doctors are now finding that initially your blood pressure goes up, but then it drops to a point lower than normal.

"They advise against pregnant women (since excessive water temperatures have a high potential for causing fetal damage during the early months of pregnancy)"

Actually, there's never been a study on this either. It nothing but a precautionary guess (that I don't disagree with).

"and young children (since their bodies do not get used to temperature changes as easily as adults do)"

see last comment

"Individuals suffering from obesity or having a medical history of heart disease, low or high blood pressure, circulatory system problems, or diabetes should also consult a physician before using a hot tub."

ABSOLUTELY! If not healthy, talk to a doctor. My disagreement only concerns healthy individuals.

"Aside from these comments, many hot tub manufacturers recommend never drinking alcoholic beverages before, during, and/or after soaking in a hot tub."

The risk of drowning is significantly heightened if individuals consume alcoholic beverages while, or prior to, soaking in hot water... so, never hot tub alone (I chose to leave out the naked comment :D )

"Alcohol expands your blood vessels and increases your body temperature."

Where did yo get this from?

-------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturers has set the limit at 104 for nothing more than liability reasons. People have been soaking in much hotter water for THOUSANDS of years, and continue to do so, safely, in many parts of the world. SOME common sense is required! Unfortunately, in a few parts of the world, lack of an individuals common sense means the manufacturer is financially responsible. Would I soak in 110 water for 2 hours? Oh HELL no. But 10 minutes? Quite possibly. But then, I doubt I'd spend more than 10 to 20 minutes in ANY spa.............. regardless of the temp (though, the company may "convenience" me to stay longer, assuming I couldn't convenience them..... oh forget it........ 10, 15 minutes I'm outa there).

Steve, most of what you're quoting is from the 1979 CPSC advisory #79-071. Much of it is inaccurate and/or basic generalizations. For instance, it says "Soaking in a hot tub with water heated to 106 degrees Fahrenheit, for example, can raise human body temperature to the point of heat stroke". Are we talking 10 minutes? 2 hours? What?

"The risk of drowning is significantly heightened if individuals consume alcoholic beverages" Well DUH! But I don't drink. Why should I be required to follow the same "guidelines as a drunk, aka j... nope, not going there.

So how safe is it really? I haven't a clue, and it's almost certainly different for each individual. But, I do have a customer that's a cardiologist, and absolutely insists his hot tub will get to 115.

It's just like Doc to challenge the conventional wisdom. I mean that in a good way, BTW.

I'm aware that many manufacturers are changing tubs so that they will not get over 104 or 105 degrees, and I also have customers who want their tubs hotter than that. I agree with Doc that it is more about lawsuits and fear than proven safety.

I'm very happy with my tub set at 103 degrees - but if the tub is 102 I can stay in longer. If it gets up to 104, which my older HotSpring does if I leave it untouched for a week, I can only stay in about 10 minutes tops.

I asked my doctor once, and he repeated the usual stuff. I asked him pointedly if he was just playing back a tape or if he knew of studies or recent info, and he admitted he was just repeating what he had heard. No real studies, and as he thought more about it, he simply said he would recommend "set it to a temperature that you find comfortable and let it go at that."

He was saying that your body will let you know if the water is too hot or not.

B)

Ohhh you're an argumentative lil sh*t. :P Said lovingly of course as I still want my supper in Vegas! :lol:

I typed in hyperthermia and a million links came up. That was the first and my mistake was not referencing it.

Regardless, hyperthermia does exist and as you mentioned, we all handle heat differently. The fact remains that sitting water above body temperature will increase the core temperature of the body and the result, if the proper stars all line up, is that hyperthermia will occur. This is relative to the temp of the water and duration of submerging the body in it but it is safe to say that extended use (20+ minutes) of water temps over 105 is unsafe for most people (other than my sun dried friend) regardless of their physical conditioning. This report may have been from 1979 but I don't think the human race has changed physiologically much over that time! :P

I'm sure there is evidence supporting this but I just don't have the time to go researching this for you at the moment. I will though... I just didn’t expect anyone to question this.

Later Gator

"I'm sure there is evidence supporting this but I just don't have the time to go researching this for you at the moment. I will though"

OK my little FTWALS (frozen tundra walker argumentative little s$%t). I have searched for the info, HIGH AND LOW......... they aint none........... oh, other than the benefits of hyperthermia therapy. :P

"Regardless, hyperthermia does exist"

The fact that hyperthermia exists, isn't relevant, until there's a study relating hot tub water temperature to it.

"This is relative to the temp of the water and duration of submerging the body in it but it is safe to say that extended use (20+ minutes) of water temps over 105 is unsafe for most people"

WTF? Where the hell do you come up with these numbers???? hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Lemme guess, someone on the street told you? (I sit here laughing hysterically, wanting to type, "did jim tell you this?")

While I'm at the Wynn eating another 20oz steak dinner, I'll get Mcdonalds delivered for you.

Gees guys....c'mon. Is this kindergarten?

Boy, one of my friends was coming over for some beers this weekend....104 + beer...wow..glad i come here.

I was just posting my review in order to help Dnjsdad.

I know one study I conducted when I was young(er). If I consume 6+ beers and go in 104º spa water I'd get dizzy after about 10 minutes and end up rendering all that beer and lunch a waste as I ran to get to the bathroom in time to heave. I reran this study a couple times to be sure it wasn't a fluke and I got the same results each time so I limited my tub use at the aprtment when I was indulging (you'd think I'd cut donw on the drinking but I was young and didn't think that way). Nowadays it takes me about 6 months to finish a 6 pack so I no longer have the trouble but I do still get pretty dizzy if I'm in too long with the temp up at 104º and even 103º gets to me rather quickly so it's 102º for me, no more. One more reason for me to be good because I don't think I could stand the heat in hell (though I hear it's a dry heat).

I know one study I conducted when I was young(er). If I consume 6+ beers and go in 104º spa water I'd get dizzy after about 10 minutes and end up rendering all that beer and lunch a waste as I ran to get to the bathroom in time to heave. I reran this study a couple times to be sure it wasn't a fluke and I got the same results each time so I limited my tub use at the aprtment when I was indulging (you'd think I'd cut donw on the drinking but I was young and didn't think that way). Nowadays it takes me about 6 months to finish a 6 pack so I no longer have the trouble but I do still get pretty dizzy if I'm in too long with the temp up at 104º and even 103º gets to me rather quickly so it's 102º for me, no more. One more reason for me to be good because I don't think I could stand the heat in hell (though I hear it's a dry heat).

º

I guess water temperature preference is relative to each individual, I find that 100º to 101º is perfect for me although I like to soak for at least 25 minutes at a time. I don't feel that temperatures up to say 110º would be harmful if you are healthy. At my health club the dry sauna is set to 121º and it feels great hanging out in there for 30 minutes or so. In fact it makes me me feel great when I get out. God knows I have tested the beer drinking and hot tubbing at great length and have never felt any ill effects from that at all either. Maybe just a slight increase in my thirst while in the tub, lol. Oops sorry that this is off the topic. As for the Elite Platinum, my opinion is that they are a decent inexpensive tub with lots of features, but in the end I chose to spend a little more money on a higher end spa with a lot more power. If money had been an issue I may have considered the Elite a little more seriously. I say if its what you need and in your price range go for it. If you have a larger budget and need serious therapy, I personally would suggest a more powerful higher end tub. I have a Clearwater Ultra 9100 and love it mainly because of the sheer power and therapy it offers me. This was the most important feature I needed as I train heavily with weights. Some folks say I paid too much for a spa, but to me it has been worth every penny. I look at buying a spa as an investment in my health, it was definitely worth it. Everybody needs a spa.

Jusr for the record, I am in the middle of returning a defective unit to Costco, so at least you have one thing to think about. The hassle of returning one is not fun, no matter how great Costco's policy is. The new ones looks tempting, but after myu experience with the company, I can't justify considering their product again and will get a Hotsprings or Discovery model from Costco online.

Jusr for the record, I am in the middle of returning a defective unit to Costco, so at least you have one thing to think about. The hassle of returning one is not fun, no matter how great Costco's policy is. The new ones looks tempting, but after myu experience with the company, I can't justify considering their product again and will get a Hotsprings or Discovery model from Costco online.

Changed my mind on the return and am going to put Hydrospa to the test.

Could somoeone post a picture of thier Platinum II spa? I would love to see your setup Paint. I'm sure it looks nice. A picture showing inside the equipment compartment would be a great bonus also.

Hey Tyler,

I noticed one of your posts seems to have vanished. ANy idea why the moderators would have dropped your good question?

Could somoeone post a picture of thier Platinum II spa? I would love to see your setup Paint. I'm sure it looks nice. A picture showing inside the equipment compartment would be a great bonus also.

I will have to see how to remove the panels. I haven't needed to do that. I did have the people at Costco remove the panels but If I recall, the screws have a square drive bit. I'll look.

17, I guess it wasn't spa related--my bad. I'm glad the moderators are on top of things nowadays.

Maybe you could post some pictures of your spa before you take it back. What does it look like inside the compartment? Is it a clean setup? I hope everything works out for you. I have a neighbor who is considering the Costco Elite spa. I'm telling him to go the dealer backed route but he's a Costco junkie and is hard to reason with. He's very mechanical so it might be an option for him.

17, I guess it wasn't spa related--my bad. I'm glad the moderators are on top of things nowadays.

Maybe you could post some pictures of your spa before you take it back. What does it look like inside the compartment? Is it a clean setup? I hope everything works out for you. I have a neighbor who is considering the Costco Elite spa. I'm telling him to go the dealer backed route but he's a Costco junkie and is hard to reason with. He's very mechanical so it might be an option for him.

I need to get a upload site and would be happy to post photos. The thing looks beautiful o the outside and I am so danged dissapointed at the situation.

Not what I had planned. Now need to make lemonade.

I am still deeply suspicious of that.