Which Aquarite To Buy?

mark6437

Ok I am doing it. I just had to drain my pool, again, to get rid of mustard algae due to high CYA levels. I cant take it anymore.

So I am researching the AquaRite. There are three versions: 15 25 and 40 thousand gallon. My pool is 15 thousand gallons. I asked Wharehouse pools which one I should buy. I told them my pool was 15 thousand. He said if I buy anything but the 40 thousand generator the cell would almost have to work in super chlorniation mode to chlorinate my pool. And he said the cell would not last as long as it should. I dont know if he was just trying to sell the most expensive one or not. Prob so, but I dont wanna make a mistake here.

The price diffrence is $680 for 15 thousand gallon, $820 for 25 thousand gallon, and $860 40 thousand gallon. These prices are from pool supply world.com

Ok, what do I do?

Thx

Mark

Hou TX

The price diffrence is $680 for 15 thousand gallon, $820 for 25 thousand gallon, and $860 40 thousand gallon. These prices are from pool supply world.com

Ok, what do I do?

Thx

Mark

Hou TX

My pool is 20,000 gallons and I got the 40,000 one. I had heard that if you get the biggest one, that the cell doesn't have to work as hard, and also that the plates on the cell are larger and therefore more efficient. If money isn't an issue, I would go with the 40k one.

ALL of the chlorine generator mfr's use these phony pool volume ratings. The "up to 15,000 gal" pool means a 15,000 gal residential pool belonging to a retired couple with no grandchildren or neighbors in North Dakota will find it works just fine. Now that may be a little bit of an overstatement, but you get the idea. Especially in warm areas the "40k" Goldline would be the best bet, especially on those hot summer days. The smaller the cell, the longer you will need to run the pump to get the necessary chlorine production in hot weather. Chlorine generators are time dependent and the smaller the cell the longer you will be running the pump, or the more you will be complaining that "this thing doesn't work!".

The only way to compare various cells is if you can find the pounds per day chlorine production. The gallons rating is entirely subjective and determined (I think) by the Marketing Dept. of each Co.

ALL of the chlorine generator mfr's use these phony pool volume ratings. The "up to 15,000 gal" pool means a 15,000 gal residential pool belonging to a retired couple with no grandchildren or neighbors in North Dakota will find it works just fine. Now that may be a little bit of an overstatement, but you get the idea. Especially in warm areas the "40k" Goldline would be the best bet, especially on those hot summer days. The smaller the cell, the longer you will need to run the pump to get the necessary chlorine production in hot weather. Chlorine generators are time dependent and the smaller the cell the longer you will be running the pump, or the more you will be complaining that "this thing doesn't work!".

The only way to compare various cells is if you can find the pounds per day chlorine production. The gallons rating is entirely subjective and determined (I think) by the Marketing Dept. of each Co.

The cells from goldline are all the same. It is the box that controls how the cell works for producing. Pump time has nothing to do with it. You should be running your pump at least 8 hours a day which is more than enough to maintain chl levels.Even if you tablets. It also should running while people are swimming. The only problem with these machines is that they do not work well with water under 65 degrees.

The purpose with sizing the machine to the pool gallons so it does not over chlorinate. With a 40k unit on a 15k pool the dial might need to be set low. A unit closer to the pool gallons will let you set the dial in the middle to give more control on both the high and low side.

There is no harm in the unit running when it needs to. It is bad water chemistry that burns out the cells, because people think the machine does it all or they don't balance the water

The cells from goldline are all the same.

The Goldline web site shows two cells, the "T-CELL-5" (.87#/day) and the "T-CELL-15" (1.45#/day).

It is the box that controls how the cell works for producing. Pump time has nothing to do with it.

If you run the pump 8 hours/day you can make twice as much chlorine as you would if running it 4 hours/day. If you have a small cell, in hot weather you will need to run the pump longer than necessary to produce enough chlorine. While I don't believe a pool can be "overfiltered" the problem is in my area the customer is paying $.32 to $.35/kwh for that extra run time so believe me, the pump is not getting run that extra time and then the complaints of not enough chlorine roll in.

You should be running your pump at least 8 hours a day which is more than enough to maintain chl levels.

Run time depends on the pool size, temperature, pump size, usage and other factors. You can't make the blanket statement above.

The only problem with these machines is that they do not work well with water under 65 degrees.

Actually it is about 55°. Many units shut off at about 58°. And I think everyone would agree, this is not the "only problem" they have...

The purpose with sizing the machine to the pool gallons so it does not over chlorinate. With a 40k unit on a 15k pool the dial might need to be set low. A unit closer to the pool gallons will let you set the dial in the middle to give more control on both the high and low side.

The AquaRite can be accurately set between 1% and 100% in 1% increments. If used with their automated control it can be set in 1% increments between 1% and 10% then in 5% increments from there.

There is no harm in the unit running when it needs to. It is bad water chemistry that burns out the cells, because people think the machine does it all or they don't balance the water

In time the cells wear out for reasons other than bad water chemistry. A cell is a "consumable" and few people realize this when they buy their first unit...

For many years the biggest problem we have had here is that pool builders would install a 1.5 hp or 2 hp pump and a chlorine generator. When the customer started getting electric bills they turn down the pump run time and then conclude the Cl gen is a piece of junk because the pump run time is inadequate to make enough Cl in hot weather. Pump time has everything to do with this. This is a good application for two speed pumps, or now, multi speed pumps.

And for you fast readers, please note: I am addressing AquaRite specifically because the OP said he was researching AquaRite.