Beachcomber Or Hotsprings?

michm

Yet another confused newbie here!

I have done lots of research and everything is as 'clear as mud'!

We have wet tested a HS Aria ( we are looking at buying the Envoy or Vanguard though. And we are going to wet test the BC 720 soon.

The HS dealer was great and so was the BC dealer so no probs there, I'd trust either of them ( as far as you can trust any salesman, anyway)

They both seem like great brands. One difference that I have found though is the filtration - HS 24 hour no-bypass filtration was pushed by the manager at the dealership as being a massive plus. Does the BC have bypass or no-bypass filtration? And which is better generally?

For the BC is it better to get the protec step version or the one with the bits inside?

Are there also any other brands that we should include on our wet test list? We are UK based.

Please include ANY other help, advice suggestions you think relevant - my brain is hurting trying to dig out the info myself now!!

Thanks lots in advance

We have wet tested a HS Aria ( we are looking at buying the Envoy or Vanguard though. And we are going to wet test the BC 720 soon.

The HS dealer was great and so was the BC dealer so no probs there, I'd trust either of them ( as far as you can trust any salesman, anyway)

They both seem like great brands. One difference that I have found though is the filtration - HS 24 hour no-bypass filtration was pushed by the manager at the dealership as being a massive plus. Does the BC have bypass or no-bypass filtration? And which is better generally?

For the BC is it better to get the protec step version or the one with the bits inside?

Are there also any other brands that we should include on our wet test list? We are UK based.

Please include ANY other help, advice suggestions you think relevant - my brain is hurting trying to dig out the info myself now!!

Thanks lots in advance

Either of those brands will filter adequetly for your needs. Pick the one that feels the best on your butt, wallet and brain. In that order.

Well I'm just another salesman, so take what I say with a grain of salt I guess!! :P

The no-bypass filtration is a preferential thing for most folks. For most cases, the standard bypass type filtration system will be fine. For folks who like knowing that 100% of the jet water is filtered before it comes out of the jets (and into your back, legs, arms, etc) the no-bypass system is nice to have.

Hot Spring's other model lines don't have no-bypass and do fine. All in all though, I'd suggest the Hot Spring as the over all better spa. The 24-hour circulation pump that Hot Spring runs will indeed save you money every month on your electric bill for one. Not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing to program (filter cycles, heat times), and you can actually sit in the hot tub in peace and quiet with the jets off, without having the jet pump kick on when the spa heats itself.

I've actually met a gentleman who was a former Beachcomber Exec who told me that he personally prefers the Hot Spring Spas, in part because of their circulation pump.

If you can, I'd suggest you try to soak in the Envoy and Vanguard specifically, if those are the two you're most interested in. The lounge in the Envoy is different than the lounge in the Aria. And the seating style in the Vanguard differs from them both.

If you have any Hot Spring specific questions, and would like to ask questions of someone who has no financial interest in you buying one, send me a message with a list of questions. I'd be happy to give you more details. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Just one more thing (for this post header, anyway!) I have read that the BC filters water 24/7/365 and that it does so up to 100 times/d. I have heard that the HS also filters 24/7 but only does the whole tub volume 10 - 15 x a day. Surely then, the BC results in cleaner water? What is the difference in the filter pumps on both brands? ( I do like the sound, or should I sy no sound of the HS when being sat in but running quietly)

Thanks again

I am currently shopping, and have looked at the HS line. They certainly seem to be a quality product with a very good reputation.

The no bypass filtration, for me, was nice, but is not essential. The only thing that raised a flag with me was in order to be able to keep filtering water with all the pumps running, they use 5 filters. Cleaning 5 filters could be a considerable chore, and replacing 5 filters could be a considerable expense.

Other than that, the HS seemed like a nice tub. Haven't looked at any BC's yet.

I am currently shopping, and have looked at the HS line. They certainly seem to be a quality product with a very good reputation.

The no bypass filtration, for me, was nice, but is not essential. The only thing that raised a flag with me was in order to be able to keep filtering water with all the pumps running, they use 5 filters. Cleaning 5 filters could be a considerable chore, and replacing 5 filters could be a considerable expense.

Other than that, the HS seemed like a nice tub. Haven't looked at any BC's yet.

A jet pump on low will run more water across a filter in 4 hours than a HS's circulation pump all day. Of course this all depends on the jet pump and the gallons per minute it moves so the word "most" should be first in my statement. Sorry Jerimiah had to point that out.

No problem Roger. Facts are facts. Here's what it comes down to in reality. The circulation pump Hot Spring uses is dubbed the "Silent Flo 5000" because it circulates about 5,000 gallons of water per day. Hot Spring's largest hot tub is 500 gallons. So it's entire body of water will be filtered 10 times per day.

Do you really need to filter the same body of water more than 10 times in a single day?

In my experience, no.

When you use the hot tub, because Hot Spring has 3 to 5 filters (depending on model) in each spa, 100% of the jet water is being filtered at a very high rate (as suggested by Roger). Most hot tubs won't have no-bypass systems, so only part of the water is drawn through the filter in the first place.

Is that a huge deal? No, not really. Eventually that water will get filtered as well.

However, the Hot Spring spa will do it all with a lot less energy use, even if we only look at the the energy usage of the Circ Pump versus the 2 speed jet pump in other spas. Course there are other factors like insulation, pump sizes, etc etc.

Now I sell the Hot Spring brand, so of course I have a little bias. But frankly, I continue working for a Hot Spring dealer specifically because I really thing it's the superior product. Hopefully other salesman would say the same about their own product too, but I really think Hot Spring does a lot of things differently that truly make it a better product.

No problem Roger. Facts are facts. Here's what it comes down to in reality. The circulation pump Hot Spring uses is dubbed the "Silent Flo 5000" because it circulates about 5,000 gallons of water per day. Hot Spring's largest hot tub is 500 gallons. So it's entire body of water will be filtered 10 times per day.

40-60 gallons per minute for a jet pump on low is a good number. 4 hours is 240 minutes times 50 gallons is 12,000 gallons, all across the filter, none bypassed. The only time your bypassing is during high speed pump operation.

Thanks lots in advance

While I do think you'd be well served by the Hot Spring or the Beachcomber, most of the advice being offered seems to be coming from the HS side and since I own the Beachcomber 750 I can offer some perspective there. Our 750 is outfitted with all of the features, including the HushPump which circulates water 24/7 at 27 gallons per minute and as the name suggests is truly very quiet. The water in the tub is always kept very clean, and cleaning the microfilter is extremely easy...it takes about 15 seconds to remove the basket and microfilter for cleaning. Per your question, I would recommend the ProTec step/Eco4Wall configuration to maximize heat insulation; with the Powerguard cover on at night and heater turned to Economy, I have found the water temp not to lose a single degree overnight.

So, if only the HS has that particular type of filtration, is it really necessary? Afterall, it seems other hot tub brands don't have it and get along perfectly fine?

The reason I'm asking is I can get a much better price on the Beachcomber Range locally and that is VERY tempting.

As usual any info greatly received, thanks

So, if only the HS has that particular type of filtration, is it really necessary? Afterall, it seems other hot tub brands don't have it and get along perfectly fine?

The reason I'm asking is I can get a much better price on the Beachcomber Range locally and that is VERY tempting.

As usual any info greatly received, thanks

See post number 2