What Hp Is My Pump Motor?

I'm replaing my motor/pump combo. the HP rating says 4.8 SPL? what the hecl is that? I found one that should match up right and it says 4.5 HP. Is there anything I should look for in a replacement?

Thanks!

The SPL on that tag means "Special". Which also means, "We Lied".

This motor actually has a maximum HP capacity of about 3 1/2. (That is based on DRAW current, not on actual output!) Throw in efficiency ratings and what not and you'll be able to figure out the output HP from the input HP. EG... 3.5HP Input X 75% eff = 2.62 Real HP

Paraphrased from member Pageup on www.spaforums.com

Unfortunately there is some issue with jet pumps in the hot tub industry being labeled with HP ratings which are not essentially accurate. :(

There are also generally two potential HP ratings on a single jet pump. There's continuous duty HP (which is the true HP rating, how much HP it actually has while running). There is also "Breakdown Torque" which is the HP the motor puts out in the 1/10th of a second the pump is starting up. It's sort of like having a HP and Torque rating on the motor of a car. They're not the same thing.

Some manufacturers may choose to listen their Breakdown Torque because it's always a higher number. For instance, a jet pump could be a 2.5HP continuous duty, but a 4.8HP Breakdown Torque at the same time.

Best thing to do to make things simple, and ensure you get the right pump, is to obtain the official replacement pump from your manufacturer. Otherwise, you'll have to ensure the power draw is equal from one pump to the other, and the GPM (gallon per minute) flow is equal to ensure your jets perform properly, and that you don't need to make alterations to your intakes/filter system.

Again, best bet is to contact your manufacturer. That's the easiest way to ensure it's done right.

I'm replaing my motor/pump combo. the HP rating says 4.8 SPL? what the hecl is that? I found one that should match up right and it says 4.5 HP. Is there anything I should look for in a replacement?

Thanks!

The easiest way to determine is look at the name plate for amps ratings and try to match the new pump as close as possable. Another thing to make sure is the frame size there are 48 and 56 frame motors. That should also be on the label.