Hs Vista Vs. Arctic Summit

I have dropped the marquis as an option and now added the Arctic! I didn't like the marquis do to the fact that if you have a full tub not everyone is getting therapy! So I am down to the Vista/Grandee for 10,625 with everything and the Arctic Summit Legend Extreme for 10,000...the arctic will have Onzen with the synthetic cabinet! Anyone out there withe cedar cabinet??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...have wet tested both and like them equally with similar dealers

thanks

I have dropped the marquis as an option and now added the Arctic! I didn't like the marquis do to the fact that if you have a full tub not everyone is getting therapy! So I am down to the Vista/Grandee for 10,625 with everything and the Arctic Summit Legend Extreme for 10,000...the arctic will have Onzen with the synthetic cabinet! Anyone out there withe cedar cabinet??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...have wet tested both and like them equally with similar dealers

thanks

Go through some of the post regarding onzen and Arctic Spas, this might help you with your decision. Good luck.

thanks

Both are quality spas backed by a good warranty, and you cant go wrong with either one. But, I must say you are getting a VERY good deal on the Summit. That is a steal!! I would usually sell the the Legend series without the Onzen for that price. The Summit LE is a very comfortable spa so I can see why it made your list. Good luck in your decision.

thanks

Both are quality spas backed by a good warranty, and you cant go wrong with either one. But, I must say you are getting a VERY good deal on the Summit. That is a steal!! I would usually sell the the Legend series without the Onzen for that price. The Summit LE is a very comfortable spa so I can see why it made your list. Good luck in your decision.

I am an owner of an Arctic Spa Summit and I've had a lot of problems. Leaks, cover, siding, jets, pumps, blowers, ozone generators, check valves. All these have been under warranty problems, but still it's cost me over $1000.00 to get them fixed. Plus all the aggravation and there's been times when I'd have liked to use it, but couldn't because it wasn't working. The spa currently doesn't work properly, the dealers been out 8 times trying to fix. The factory considers this "minor problems". I would not recommend Arctic Spa based on my experience, I would try someone else. Good luck with your purchase.

Paul

I have an Arctic Tundra LE with a cedar cabinet. The cabinet is beautiful! It really is like a fine piece of furniture. IMHO it's worth a little maintence each year. If it gets scratched no problem. The stain will "erase" the blemish. Not so with the synthetic. I only had the tub for about three months but absolutely no problems. Love it. No Onzen.

Tomab

thanks

I am an owner of an Arctic Spa Summit and I've had a lot of problems. Leaks, cover, siding, jets, pumps, blowers, ozone generators, check valves. All these have been under warranty problems, but still it's cost me over $1000.00 to get them fixed. Plus all the aggravation and there's been times when I'd have liked to use it, but couldn't because it wasn't working. The spa currently doesn't work properly, the dealers been out 8 times trying to fix. The factory considers this "minor problems". I would not recommend Arctic Spa based on my experience, I would try someone else. Good luck with your purchase.

Paul

To the originial poster, this is just what they would call a sample of one, and doesnt represent the whole brand. If we as buyers based our buying decisions based on one person's problems with their spa, then just based on the current front page of this forum, we wouldnt buy an Arctic, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, PPC, Down East, Gulf Coast, Caldera, Blue Water, Thermospa, Coast, Cal Spa, Dimension One, and Solana.

Paul, sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I know Tom and I tried to help you out the best that we could. Did you ever get an electrician out? Send me a PM with the current status of what is going on with your spa.

Anyone out there withe cedar cabinet??? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated...have wet tested both and like them equally with similar dealers

thanks

The problem is there are many fans of each and that wet test was supposed to tell a lot, especially since each has very different seating Vista=Lounge spa, Grandee=open seating and Summit=more defined/bucket seating. Personally I like the open seating type spas but what does it matter what I or others like really, if you're dealing with quality spas as you are it comes down your personal choice? You can't go wrong with any of the three, go with your gut.

For me there's absolutely no question which way to go. The Hot Spring options are the better choice as far as almost every feature/function is concerned in my mind. Better energy efficiency, reliability, etc. Considering the price is basically equal between the two, the Hot Spring will actually cost you quite a bit less due to it's superior energy efficiency.

Rather than get into a big storm here on the forums, I'd go visit your Hot Spring dealer and ask them to compare their Vista/Grandee models to the Arctic Summit. Ask them why Hot Spring would be better.

And better yet, rather than taking the salesman's word for it, do some online research. In our area, we find that the folks who do a lot of online research, always end up buying a Hot Spring over all of our competitive brands (Arctic included). There's a whole slew of things that are different about Hot Spring Spas that have made them extremely popular up here in Montana.

Even little things like Hot Spring's use of a heat shroud for their jet pumps. Pushing warm air into your jets instead of cold air. One single idea, but it has a good affect on water temperature and heating efficiency. Lots of little things like that, which add up into an overall big deal.

Considering the price is basically equal between the two, the Hot Spring will actually cost you quite a bit less due to it's superior energy efficiency....Lots of little things like that, which add up into an overall big deal.

From what I've learned online researching, when comparing the top 5 or so brands (of which HS and Arctic are generally considered to be among), don't worry too much about "efficiency"...regardless of their insulation type, etc., the top 5 are all pretty much equal in efficiency, and one will not likely cost you more than a few bucks a month more than the other.

Think about it...if one tub costs $20/month in electricity and the second tub is say 25% less efficient (which is quite a difference), the difference in electric bill is about $5. IMO, this should not affect your decision...comfort and features should be what you are most concerned about. Don't let the "efficiency" sales pitch sway you too much.

(now if one has a far superior warranty, you might want to consider that as well!)

thanks

Paul

To the originial poster, this is just what they would call a sample of one, and doesnt represent the whole brand. If we as buyers based our buying decisions based on one person's problems with their spa, then just based on the current front page of this forum, we wouldnt buy an Arctic, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, PPC, Down East, Gulf Coast, Caldera, Blue Water, Thermospa, Coast, Cal Spa, Dimension One, and Solana.

Paul, sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I know Tom and I tried to help you out the best that we could. Did you ever get an electrician out? Send me a PM with the current status of what is going on with your spa.

Actually I would say I'm a sample of 2 or 3. A buddy of mine owns one and is on his third control panel, I had one that leaked within three days of delivery, the cover caved in the first or second time I cleaned it, and the maintenance free siding decayed badly. The entire tub was replaced. The replacement has been in my yard since Oct. and has had all the pumps replaced, the blower replaced, the ozone generator replaced, and a check valve replaced. After the dealer had been out 8 times to repair it, I complained to the BBB. The response from the factory was that I have experienced "minor problems" and they went on to say that "the spa worked after the dealer had serviced it. " The spa continued to blow the GFI about every 2 days or so. The factory considered that working I guess and a minor problem. I wonder if they use their tub whens its 87 degrees because the GFI was blown and the heater didn't heat up. Is that working? Didn't I pay for all the parts to work?

So when someone asks for an opinion on Arctic Spa, I'm gonna tell them. I've seen 3 out of 3 Arctic Spas have problems. I paid pretty good money for the spa and it's been very disappointing to say the least. I have never had this much trouble with anything I've ever owned.

On June 12th, the dealer was out and disconnected the blower pump. The GFI hasn't blown since. That was over 10 days ago and I haven't heard from the factory or the dealer. Is this what Arctic Spa considers working? Didn't I pay for all the parts to work?

I look forward to your answer.

Paul

I totally agree! Generally, people are WAY more likely to come online to write about a purchase when they've had a bad experience. The vast majority of people are happy with their product and therefore have no reason to seek out a forum such as this. The silent overwhelming majority are satisfied customers (at least for the top brands). You can't write off any product based on a few bad reviews...unless all you can find are bad reviews.

For me there's absolutely no question which way to go. The Hot Spring options are the better choice as far as almost every feature/function is concerned in my mind. Better energy efficiency, reliability, etc. Considering the price is basically equal between the two, the Hot Spring will actually cost you quite a bit less due to it's superior energy efficiency.

Rather than get into a big storm here on the forums, I'd go visit your Hot Spring dealer and ask them to compare their Vista/Grandee models to the Arctic Summit. Ask them why Hot Spring would be better.

And better yet, rather than taking the salesman's word for it, do some online research. In our area, we find that the folks who do a lot of online research, always end up buying a Hot Spring over all of our competitive brands (Arctic included). There's a whole slew of things that are different about Hot Spring Spas that have made them extremely popular up here in Montana.

Even little things like Hot Spring's use of a heat shroud for their jet pumps. Pushing warm air into your jets instead of cold air. One single idea, but it has a good affect on water temperature and heating efficiency. Lots of little things like that, which add up into an overall big deal.

LOL. Of course you would say that as you sell HS. I always enjoy reading your HS infomercials when you come on. ShamWOW baby!!

infomercial1.jpg

HS and Arctic are both top notch spas, and even though I am affilated with Arctic, you cant go wrong with either one.

thanks

Paul

Actually I would say I'm a sample of 2 or 3. A buddy of mine owns one and is on his third control panel, I had one that leaked within three days of delivery, the cover caved in the first or second time I cleaned it, and the maintenance free siding decayed badly. The entire tub was replaced. The replacement has been in my yard since Oct. and has had all the pumps replaced, the blower replaced, the ozone generator replaced, and a check valve replaced. After the dealer had been out 8 times to repair it, I complained to the BBB. The response from the factory was that I have experienced "minor problems" and they went on to say that "the spa worked after the dealer had serviced it. " The spa continued to blow the GFI about every 2 days or so. The factory considered that working I guess and a minor problem. I wonder if they use their tub whens its 87 degrees because the GFI was blown and the heater didn't heat up. Is that working? Didn't I pay for all the parts to work?

So when someone asks for an opinion on Arctic Spa, I'm gonna tell them. I've seen 3 out of 3 Arctic Spas have problems. I paid pretty good money for the spa and it's been very disappointing to say the least. I have never had this much trouble with anything I've ever owned.

On June 12th, the dealer was out and disconnected the blower pump. The GFI hasn't blown since. That was over 10 days ago and I haven't heard from the factory or the dealer. Is this what Arctic Spa considers working? Didn't I pay for all the parts to work?

Paul

Paul,

Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I dont blame you for being disappointed as I would be too. I would call your dealer and ask them what the plan of action is next. As I said earlier, I tried to do my best to help by answering questions over PM.

Thanks for all the input! A large deciding factor for me has been the workability of the arctic spa! As we all know warranties all run out...or the company goes out of business! So what then?? Which tub will be cheaper in the long run to work on??? Most of the service guys I speak to tell me not to buy a full foam tub...each visit will cost $1500 to find and repair a leak on a full foam! I am sure someone will say that a full foam tub never leaks...well never say never!

Thanks for all the input! A large deciding factor for me has been the workability of the arctic spa! As we all know warranties all run out...or the company goes out of business! So what then?? Which tub will be cheaper in the long run to work on??? Most of the service guys I speak to tell me not to buy a full foam tub...each visit will cost $1500 to find and repair a leak on a full foam! I am sure someone will say that a full foam tub never leaks...well never say never!

If your only two choices are arctic or hot springs go with hot spring they have much better customer support and reliablity compaired to arctic. and i'm not a big fan of foam filled spas like the hot spring.

thanks

Paul

Paul

Paul,

Sorry if you took that the wrong way. I dont blame you for being disappointed as I would be too. I would call your dealer and ask them what the plan of action is next. As I said earlier, I tried to do my best to help by answering questions over PM.

Waterboy,

You have been helpful answering questions over PM and I do appreciate it. I wish the local dealer or the factory would show a fraction of the concern you've shown. I will take your advice and call the dealer and ask what their plan of attack is. If the past is any predictor of the future, what will happen is, the dealer won't know "they need to talk to the factory" and they'll say they will call me back. Then I'll wait 2 or 3 days for their call back, which wont come. I'll complain to the factory. The factory will give me the "how dare I complain to them, your beef is with the dealer, besides you've only had minor problems, your spa works." In my opinion, and remember I'm only a sample of one, but I think if I had tried to fix the same problem with no success 8 times, I would be the one to call the customer and tell them what I intended to do to fix the spa I sold them.

I could use your help again. What's your opinion? I'd like to get a sample of 2. When was the last time you spent $10,000.00 on something and it needed to be fixed a dozen times for different problems? Has that ever happened? Would you want to voice your opinion about the manufacturer of that equipment? Thanks again for your help in the past and thanks to this forum and others like it for letting me vent about a truly horrible experience. Makes me feel a lot better being able to vent, and it's great to hear that someone listens.

Paul

thanks

Paul

Paul

Paul,

Waterboy,

You have been helpful answering questions over PM and I do appreciate it. I wish the local dealer or the factory would show a fraction of the concern you've shown. I will take your advice and call the dealer and ask what their plan of attack is. If the past is any predictor of the future, what will happen is, the dealer won't know "they need to talk to the factory" and they'll say they will call me back. Then I'll wait 2 or 3 days for their call back, which wont come. I'll complain to the factory. The factory will give me the "how dare I complain to them, your beef is with the dealer, besides you've only had minor problems, your spa works." In my opinion, and remember I'm only a sample of one, but I think if I had tried to fix the same problem with no success 8 times, I would be the one to call the customer and tell them what I intended to do to fix the spa I sold them.

I could use your help again. What's your opinion? I'd like to get a sample of 2. When was the last time you spent $10,000.00 on something and it needed to be fixed a dozen times for different problems? Has that ever happened? Would you want to voice your opinion about the manufacturer of that equipment? Thanks again for your help in the past and thanks to this forum and others like it for letting me vent about a truly horrible experience. Makes me feel a lot better being able to vent, and it's great to hear that someone listens.

Paul

Hey Paul,

your comments about the company and the dealer are my biggest concerns about going with arctic spas! I like the spa but could learn to hate it if it didn't run well!!! Hotsrpings has been my other choice and they seem to have a long standing track record of quality service and manufacturing of their tubs! I don't like their tubs quite as much but I guess I can over look the little things if it meant my happiness in the long run!!!

@RuBaDuB: I wish your energy efficiency theory were the truth. It would save a lot of folks money, and reduce our carbon footprint in this country. Our experience has been through metering spas, as well as getting customer feedback on energy costs. It's unfortunately not a difference of $20 a month versus $25 a month. More often than not, it's a difference of $20 a month versus $50 a month (or more in some cases). Now of course this is based on the cold climate we have in Montana. In another state where it's nice and warm this wouldn't be as big a difference perhaps.

@Waterboy: Keep in mind one very large thing. I make absolutely not a single penny if anyone on this forum purchases a hot tub from their local Hot Spring dealer. I'm not here to make money. I'm here to give my input to folks and help them make an educated buying decision. And, because I do work with Hot Spring hot tubs on a daily basis, I've gotten to know them pretty well. And from my experience, nothing else out there even compares to them as far as over all quality, customer happiness, and energy savings is concerned. Not to mention the profound level of customer & dealer support the Hot Spring manufacturer provides.

With how well Hot Spring treats it's customers and dealers (who are customers too are they not?), how can I not try to support them as a company? Any manufacturer that supports their customers, dealers, and product as well as they do, and makes such a great quality product, deserves to have fans who talk them up.

Comparing me to the ShamWOW guy, or even the OxyClean guy as you did through your image, is kind of childish. Don't you think? :) The OP (Original Poster) didn't come here to watch opponents bash one another, they came here to ask questions and receive opinions about what he/she should purchase. Rather than make fun of each other, and bash our competitors, let's stick to actually trying to help folks out.

@RuBaDuB: I wish your energy efficiency theory were the truth. It would save a lot of folks money, and reduce our carbon footprint in this country. Our experience has been through metering spas, as well as getting customer feedback on energy costs. It's unfortunately not a difference of $20 a month versus $25 a month. More often than not, it's a difference of $20 a month versus $50 a month (or more in some cases). Now of course this is based on the cold climate we have in Montana. In another state where it's nice and warm this wouldn't be as big a difference perhaps.

@Waterboy: Keep in mind one very large thing. I make absolutely not a single penny if anyone on this forum purchases a hot tub from their local Hot Spring dealer. I'm not here to make money. I'm here to give my input to folks and help them make an educated buying decision. And, because I do work with Hot Spring hot tubs on a daily basis, I've gotten to know them pretty well. And from my experience, nothing else out there even compares to them as far as over all quality, customer happiness, and energy savings is concerned. Not to mention the profound level of customer & dealer support the Hot Spring manufacturer provides.

With how well Hot Spring treats it's customers and dealers (who are customers too are they not?), how can I not try to support them as a company? Any manufacturer that supports their customers, dealers, and product as well as they do, and makes such a great quality product, deserves to have fans who talk them up.

Comparing me to the ShamWOW guy, or even the OxyClean guy as you did through your image, is kind of childish. Don't you think? :) The OP (Original Poster) didn't come here to watch opponents bash one another, they came here to ask questions and receive opinions about what he/she should purchase. Rather than make fun of each other, and bash our competitors, let's stick to actually trying to help folks out.

Sorry to burst you bubble, but there are many tubs on the market today that meet or exceed the quality of the HS. They are a quality spa, no doubt about that, but you are pretty bold when you say NO ONE meets them in energy efficiency and quality. That in itself is just not true. If you truly believe what you preach, then you are uneducated in regards to the spa industry. That’s fine if you drink the HS kool aid, as you should if you sell them, but don’t come on here saying that no one compares to their quality. You are not fooling anyone, including potential buyers. I called you the sham wow or oxy clean guy because your infomercials remind me of those, thats all.

Let me ask you this, how come in the only third party test done to date on energy efficiency of spas, there were two spas that rated above the HS? How could that be?? There are many tubs that are as energy efficient as the HS, and Arctic is one of them. Others would be the Sundance, and Jacuzzi, just to name a few.

Maybe $20 vs $50 for one of the top brand tubs vs tubs with "questionable" insulation...but it's not $20 vs. $50 amongst the top brand names. If everything is working properly, they are generally within a few bucks per month for a comparable size tub with same number of pumps.

How about longevity of the tub? Pumps? Cost to run the tub over the years ie filter replacement, circ pump replacement...chemicals etc.

captchaos,

Your original thread said you were looking at the Onzen system being part of one of the tubs your looking at buying. I copied and pasted the quote listed below from another thread I was reading. I believe the poster is a representative of Arctic Spa. The way I understand this is that after they "improved" the system, 17 out of 1000 are failing. They seem to imply that this is impressive. Not to me. What's the failure rate on the other components of the system? I think this illustrates the factory's arrogance. "It's only 17 out of 1000 having a problem." What if you are one of the 17 that just spent $10,000.00?

I would suggest you also get a copy of the warranties from all companies you're interested in. These things may be covered under warranty, but if you're unlucky like me, you'll spend lots of money getting the thing fixed under warranty, not to mention all the aggravation.

I hope this has been helpful and I'm sorry for all the negativity. I've had such a horrible experience with the product, the customer service, the dealer, the factory, I think that's why I'm soooo passionate.

I wish you luck with whatever brand you decide to purchase!

Paul

Quote follows------

* When Onzen was first introduced, there were problems with the electrode in 7.8% of units (922 out of 1000 were fine). After the issue was identified, an improved electrode was used in subsequent production.

* Defective electrodes are replaced under warranty

* Between January 1, 2008 and today, the warranty rate on Onzen has been 1.68% (983 units in 1000 experience no problem)

I can understand that these statistics won't impress you much if you're one of the people who has had trouble ("why me?!"), but the vast majority of our customers find Onzen a blessing for simple water care.

How about longevity of the tub? Pumps? Cost to run the tub over the years ie filter replacement, circ pump replacement...chemicals etc.

I finded that in this industry when some one has a good idea that works and does what it say it does, that others soon jump on board with either the same product or something similar.

Arctics been using either the genisis or onzen system for going on 5 years but most of the industry (manufactures) will void your warranty if you install a salt system on your spa.

So either arctic knows this and put disclaimers in there warranty or they feel they can provide a better product regards of the side effects.

thanks

Paul

Paul

Paul,

Waterboy,

Paul

Hey Paul,

your comments about the company and the dealer are my biggest concerns about going with arctic spas! I like the spa but could learn to hate it if it didn't run well!!! Hotsrpings has been my other choice and they seem to have a long standing track record of quality service and manufacturing of their tubs! I don't like their tubs quite as much but I guess I can over look the little things if it meant my happiness in the long run!!!

Hey captchaos,

I found this link on the forum that you might be interested in.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18773

They talk about the Onzen system and how Arctic has responded.

Should give you a bigger sample of just one about Arctic.

Thanks,

Paul