Fixing A Plumbing Leak

tjbrew

I have a "T" connection coming out of the drain hole in the bottom of my tub that is leaking at one of the three connections of the "T". It is a glued and clamped connection, but doesn't appear to be barbed. I can see that some of the purple "glue" let loose and that is probably why it is leaking. Is this a special glue or can I just buy something from the hardware store?

The connection is a flexible plastic hose over a PVC "T".

The tub is currently draining and I'm sure I'll have to let this connection completely dry out before attempting a repair, right?

Also, how long should I let the glue set before refilling?

Thanks,

TJ

The purple is primer, It's used to prep the surfaces to be glued. You probably want a pvc glue (blue, clear, or grey) should be available at most hardware stores.

Best to have surfaces to be glued be as clean and dry as possible (some glues allow use during "rain r shine").

wait time should be printed on glue can label. Normally in a few min.

The purple is primer, It's used to prep the surfaces to be glued. You probably want a pvc glue (blue, clear, or grey) should be available at most hardware stores.

Best to have surfaces to be glued be as clean and dry as possible (some glues allow use during "rain r shine").

wait time should be printed on glue can label. Normally in a few min.

I thought it was probably just regular PVC glue, just wanted to make sure. It's kind of annoying that the "T" is not barbed on the bottom of the "T". Plus the fitting is in the most inaccessible place under the tub ... behind the control panel way inside near the bottom of the tub.

The clamp is the usual wire compression clamp. I was thinking of replacing it with a stainless steel screw-type clamp with a thick band. I think it will work better and will be much easier to install in the remote location. Anyone think it's a bad idea?

Thanks

I thought it was probably just regular PVC glue, just wanted to make sure. It's kind of annoying that the "T" is not barbed on the bottom of the "T". Plus the fitting is in the most inaccessible place under the tub ... behind the control panel way inside near the bottom of the tub.

The clamp is the usual wire compression clamp. I was thinking of replacing it with a stainless steel screw-type clamp with a thick band. I think it will work better and will be much easier to install in the remote location. Anyone think it's a bad idea?

Thanks

I think that sounds like a great idea, don't skimp on primer or glue when your repairing it. It will be ready for water in 5 minutes.