Negotiating Price

Sheagatzi

What is the wiggle room for prices on hot tubs? I've been to two places already, and they give me their regular price, and then the "special" price. Is there more room for negotiating after that, in you experience? I don't want to get hosed! Haven't got a clue how this works....

In this economy I think you are likely to get a better price than you normally would, but don't be one of those customers who expects the spa dealer not to make any money. Do a little research of a few comparable spas and decide what the spa is worth to you. If you are not desperate and you have a little time to work on them for the price, then just let the dealers know you are looking at a few different options and ask them what their "best price" is. If it is reasonable, go for it. Otherwise, wait a few days to see if they come down on price or continue searching for something that you feel better about. In the end, don't you want to pay good money for a good spa?

Depends how much they have the price marked up above cost.

It's like dealing with a car salesmen, especially in this economy...you can often get them down to cost, or even BELOW cost if there are factory rebates involved!! Don't start negotiating on the retail price, start from the dealers cost, then offer them cost + 5% profit. Or even better, if there is a factory rebate on, offer them cost + 5% - rebate.

What is the wiggle room for prices on hot tubs? I've been to two places already, and they give me their regular price, and then the "special" price. Is there more room for negotiating after that, in you experience? I don't want to get hosed! Haven't got a clue how this works....

We really can't answer your question as is. Some dealers set what they feel is a fair price for all that they need to meet to have a viable business and leave little wiggle room. Another dealer 50 miles away may set a higher asking price for the same spa knowing many customers prefer to haggle.

One way to if you're getting their best deal is to tell them you need a better price than they're offering and keep negotiating in your direction until they say "no, we can't go that far, this is the best we can do". Another way is to let people on this forum know what brand/models you're looking at and what city/part of the country (location can matter) you're in and you may find someone who's bought the same model to get a general comparison.

Gawd, has the auto industry ever pulled the wool miles over more people eyes. First off, spas are NOT cars. There's no factory incentives or hold backs in the spa industry.

Cars :D:D A close friend of mine sold Toyotas for a few years. He was MORE than happy selling them at "invoice" all day long. At invoice, he made a GRAND per car...And the dealer made enough to pay overhead...rent, flooring, advertising (you have ANY idea what TV ads cost?), support staff, insurance, utilities, profit, and I'm sure a bunch of stuff I left off.

All of that gross profit comes from somewhere...YOU, the consummer. You can pay the dealer by way of profit, or you can pay the manufacturer and they give it back to the dealer. Either way, the price aint'a gonna change, and the dealer is going to get the same $ in the end....and you'll be paying the same $ in the end.

It's like dealing with a car salesmen, especially in this economy...you can often get them down to cost, or even BELOW cost if there are factory rebates involved!! Don't start negotiating on the retail price, start from the dealers cost, then offer them cost + 5% profit. Or even better, if there is a factory rebate on, offer them cost + 5% - rebate.

$1k on a $20k car is not a big profit, nothing to celebrate at all.

Anyway, easy answer is this....the retail price is a JOKE, and the "special price" ain't so special. They WILL go lower from any advertised price, or first offer they make to you. You just have to be patient and be willing to walk out the door, many times over and over, each time bringing with you the competitors latest "best offer". In this economy especially, they are willing to deal. I just had two dealers both come down 25% from their "special prices".

He was MORE than happy selling them at "invoice" all day long. At invoice, he made a GRAND per car...And the dealer made enough to pay overhead...rent, flooring, advertising (you have ANY idea what TV ads cost?), support staff, insurance, utilities, profit, and I'm sure a bunch of stuff I left off.

B) The "wiggle room" . . . A quality therapy spa is going to run you $6-8 thousand dollars, regardless of the "Suggested Retail" posted by the dealer. We sell a lot of spas & swim spas, and we mark them at a price we need to sell them at in order to stay in business (just in case you need service as time goes on . . .). If the dealer sells their spas too cheap, they won't be around to help you in the future, and then you'll regret that "sweet deal" you thought you got when you bought your new spa. Normally the dealer makes 30-35% on a spa/swim spa. Don't forget, it's not just what they buy it for that figures into the sale. They have sales staff, showroom expenses, delivery and service vehicles and staff, insurance, utilities, etc. that a percentage of which has to be paid out of each sale. So, buy a quality spa (Master Legend Series is the best - bar none), pay a "fair price", let your dealer make enough profit to appreciate your business, and you'll be well taken care of as time goes on and a lot happier in the long run. Good Luck!

There are no "Rebates" in the spa industry. I know, I've been in it for 25 years, and "if" you offered me 5% profit on a spa or swim spa, I'd tell you to buy your new spa off ebay, where they just drop it in your driveway and you're on your own. You can't sell spas at 5% gross profit and provide customer service and stay in business. That's absurd. You have two options, do you want the cheapest price, or the best quality product at a fair price and good service? You decide. You can't have both. Trust me.

Anyway, easy answer is this....the retail price is a JOKE, and the "special price" ain't so special. They WILL go lower from any advertised price, or first offer they make to you. You just have to be patient and be willing to walk out the door, many times over and over, each time bringing with you the competitors latest "best offer". In this economy especially, they are willing to deal. I just had two dealers both come down 25% from their "special prices".

He was MORE than happy selling them at "invoice" all day long. At invoice, he made a GRAND per car...And the dealer made enough to pay overhead...rent, flooring, advertising (you have ANY idea what TV ads cost?), support staff, insurance, utilities, profit, and I'm sure a bunch of stuff I left off.

25% off their "special price", that's a joke! If you got a spa dealer to give you 25% off their "special price", then their special price was not very "special". If you asked me to drop 25% of our "best deal - posted price" I'd direct you to Kmart!

You misread my post. $1k was simply his commission, as a salesman, for the car.

Here's one for ya...Of the "average" product consumers purchase, what is the actual cost to produce it, as compared to the retail price paid by consumers?

(Master Legend Series is the best - bar none),

A long ways over the edge there buddy for middle of the road tub that consumes a pile of energy!

I'm suprised this sales BS is being allowed to continue.

Let me give you a piece of advice Mr. SPAS FACTORY DIRECT Use words like I sell Master Spa and Here's what I have learned about them if you want this mans opinnion. Or we here at Master Spas feel our is one of the best because.........

Words like those above make you out to be a lier and a checkered suit sales man.

A long ways over the edge there buddy for middle of the road tub that consumes a pile of energy!

Let me give you a piece of advice Mr. SPAS FACTORY DIRECT Use words like I sell Master Spa and Here's what I have learned about them if you want this mans opinnion. Or we here at Master Spas feel our is one of the best because.........

Words like those above make you out to be a lier and a checkered suit sales man.

You are "a DORK" there ROGER! Use words like "Lier", and it's shows just what a "DORK" you are. Try using "spell check" before you enter the arena. Then, people won't realize just how "DUMB" you R . Just a little advise from your :angry: "BUDDY"!

25% off their "special price", that's a joke! If you got a spa dealer to give you 25% off their "special price", then their special price was not very "special". If you asked me to drop 25% of our "best deal - posted price" I'd direct you to Kmart!

BINGO!!!! Like I already said in MY post.....the "special price" usually isn't very special at all. No one ever posts their best price, that's just poor business. If I'm selling anything, why would I make my first offer to someone my absolute lowest price I can go????

You are "a DORK" there ROGER! Use words like "Lier", and it's shows just what a "DORK" you are. Try using "spell check" before you enter the arena. Then, people won't realize just how "DUMB" you R . Just a little advise from your :angry: "BUDDY"!

advise, advice....hey kettle, yer black! lol

There are no "Rebates" in the spa industry. I know, I've been in it for 25 years, and "if" you offered me 5% profit on a spa or swim spa, I'd tell you to buy your new spa off ebay, where they just drop it in your driveway and you're on your own. You can't sell spas at 5% gross profit and provide customer service and stay in business. That's absurd. You have two options, do you want the cheapest price, or the best quality product at a fair price and good service? You decide. You can't have both. Trust me.

Of course you can't stay in business if EVERYONE gets that deal...the key is that most people don't negotiate much and pretty much pay the retail price, especially when the dealer throws in some cheapie extras to make the buyer feel good. So the dealer still makes his big profits on the majority of the sales. But the few people that do negotiate hard will get a much better deal. And since they are few and far between, the dealer isn't hurt by it. Better to get some profit than none in these hard times.

No one ever posts their best price, that's just poor business. If I'm selling anything, why would I make my first offer to someone my absolute lowest price I can go????

[/color]

Sorry to get off-topic but I flat out disagree that posting your best price is poor business! I realize that not all industries are the same but my husband has been a very successful salesman in the construction industry for 30 years. When he gives an estimate to a potential customer, the price he gives IS his best price - every time. If the customer says his price is too high and asks him if he can come down any, he says no and suggests they go elsewhere. He views every customer as a client for life and figures that he will never build a trust relationship if he says, "Yeah, I can really do better than the first price I gave you but I was hoping you wouldn't ask for a lower price so my company could make a bigger profit." The fact that some salespeople (cars, spas, etc.) don't give their best price as their only price is exactly why consumers are so suspicious.

Sandi

As long as your going to insult me (if you read carefully you'll see I didn't insult you) but hey, maybe my words were behond your comprehension...oh well. I won't stoop to insulting your suit!!

I had quotes about 8 Grand apart from the same showroom but different sales people. The one Gent was showed us the MRSP and said we could start from there. Turned off by the almost 20 grand hot tub I gave up the idea of getting one. Then driving by one day I returned and was approach by another sales person and was given a qoute about 30% less. She said that was the best she could and would not budge.

• 5 months later...

I just joined this sight, primarily to wade through the confusion about buying a new spa. I know several people who have spas, and they each give me their genius advice on how to get the best price. I have seen some colorful postings in this section - not wanting to go there - but none of the recommendations I read followed a common theme. Each seems to be a special circumstance. There were earlier postings comparing spa purchase to an auto purchase. The difference I am finding is that there is limited information out there for spas that give me the idea of a fair price. That's all I want. So, my e-mail is not about wringing the lowest price, but about getting a fair price and going home knowing I didn't spend $2000 too much. That's not chump change, especially when paying cash up front.

Here's my scenario:

I am interested in a Tiger River Caspian, based solely on size. I am more than open to recommendation of other brands of similar size if anyone out there has a good opinion. So, I call my hot springs dealer here in Iowa and hit him on the price after a lengthy discussion. He really struggled to give me an answer within 10 seconds. That drew a red flag. He then said it was $8999. I told him that sounded like MSRP to me, and I asked him if I was going to have to go into this like buying a car. He said, "well there are things we can look at that can drop the price by 2 or 3%. That sounded fishy, because I had seen "sale prices" at the Iowa State Fair and the discounts were higher. I'm guessing that the discounts come in when I buy cover, chems, steps, and finance So, I hop on the net and get ever the more confused. I have found purchased prices for this tub around $6500 on this site (without extras).

Here's my plan: The sales guy comes out next week to help spec out my site. Then I will ask for his price on a new one, and the model he has on the show room floor. If he drops the price less than $1000, I'll tell him that I will try to find a similar model that is lower priced or on sale.

For those who have this tub, what is a fair price for a tub with cover and steps? Is $7500 fair? Sounds reasonable for a 6 pack box and a pump that holds water

Cheers, BK

I just joined this sight, primarily to wade through the confusion about buying a new spa. I know several people who have spas, and they each give me their genius advice on how to get the best price. I have seen some colorful postings in this section - not wanting to go there - but none of the recommendations I read followed a common theme. Each seems to be a special circumstance. There were earlier postings comparing spa purchase to an auto purchase. The difference I am finding is that there is limited information out there for spas that give me the idea of a fair price. That's all I want. So, my e-mail is not about wringing the lowest price, but about getting a fair price and going home knowing I didn't spend $2000 too much. That's not chump change, especially when paying cash up front.

Here's my scenario:

I am interested in a Tiger River Caspian, based solely on size. I am more than open to recommendation of other brands of similar size if anyone out there has a good opinion. So, I call my hot springs dealer here in Iowa and hit him on the price after a lengthy discussion. He really struggled to give me an answer within 10 seconds. That drew a red flag. He then said it was $8999. I told him that sounded like MSRP to me, and I asked him if I was going to have to go into this like buying a car. He said, "well there are things we can look at that can drop the price by 2 or 3%. That sounded fishy, because I had seen "sale prices" at the Iowa State Fair and the discounts were higher. I'm guessing that the discounts come in when I buy cover, chems, steps, and finance So, I hop on the net and get ever the more confused. I have found purchased prices for this tub around $6500 on this site (without extras).

Here's my plan: The sales guy comes out next week to help spec out my site. Then I will ask for his price on a new one, and the model he has on the show room floor. If he drops the price less than $1000, I'll tell him that I will try to find a similar model that is lower priced or on sale.

For those who have this tub, what is a fair price for a tub with cover and steps? Is $7500 fair? Sounds reasonable for a 6 pack box and a pump that holds water

Cheers, BK

Hey BKBroiler,

I'm in Cedar Rapids and just purchased a sundance Certa spa, that I was told retailed for around 9000. I was able to buy it for 6800, and that included the normal "extras", like starter chemicals, cover lifter, deliver, set up, etc. I also know someone that worked at Pooltech here in CR and on average they mark up their spa's about 35%. Granted they have to make some profit, so they wouldn't be able to go down 35% because they have to pay employee's, rent, and stay in business, but I would think 1% or 3% is a joke.

If you're in the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City area and are considering a Sundance spa, I had a great experience at Billiard and Spa Gallery. Both Karina and Stephanie were great to work with. If you're set on a Hot Spring, then flat out tell them you know the mark up and want a better deal cause they are just looking for a sucker. At least that is the way it sounds to me.

Here's my scenario:

Cheers, BK

Hey BKBroiler,

I'm in Cedar Rapids and just purchased a sundance Certa spa, that I was told retailed for around 9000. I was able to buy it for 6800, and that included the normal "extras", like starter chemicals, cover lifter, deliver, set up, etc. I also know someone that worked at Pooltech here in CR and on average they mark up their spa's about 35%. Granted they have to make some profit, so they wouldn't be able to go down 35% because they have to pay employee's, rent, and stay in business, but I would think 1% or 3% is a joke.

If you're in the Cedar Rapids or Iowa City area and are considering a Sundance spa, I had a great experience at Billiard and Spa Gallery. Both Karina and Stephanie were great to work with. If you're set on a Hot Spring, then flat out tell them you know the mark up and want a better deal cause they are just looking for a sucker. At least that is the way it sounds to me.

I appreciate the quick response. I am in West Des Moines. I started with the Hot Springs guys, because I have spent some time in those tubs and the owners have had good experiences. I'll check out the Sundance as well. I have no loyalty to a brand, but the sheer number of choices does make this a hard process. Thank you so much for the feedback.

BK

Here's my scenario:

Cheers, BK

Hey BKBroiler,

I appreciate the quick response. I am in West Des Moines. I started with the Hot Springs guys, because I have spent some time in those tubs and the owners have had good experiences. I'll check out the Sundance as well. I have no loyalty to a brand, but the sheer number of choices does make this a hard process. Thank you so much for the feedback.

BK

I bought a Spa earlier this year. The Sundance, Hot Springs and Jacuzzi dealers ALL offered me 3% off the 'final' negotiated price as long as I paid with a check or cash - the reason being they have to cough up 3% to the credit card companies if you pay using that method. I don't know what your payment options are but I'd recommend you get them down to their 'final' (walk away) price, and then, and only then, go for the extra 3% by offering to pay with cash or check

• 1 month later...

New here, hailing from Pugetroplis (Seattle), WA, lots of heckling around here over price paid. Here what my $$'s bought a couple weeks back. New Sundance Altamar, custom cover (thicker, folds side to side instead of front to back), Leisure Concepts Umbrella, covermate III lifter, $250 store credit, years worth of chemical & testing strips, 3 Micro clean II filters, spa pillow/weight, 4 boxes of aroma therapy baskets, 6 really nice water bottles, delivered by 4 Amazons to my back yard deck. I was told the tub listed for $11495, paid just over $8600 for it. It's filled, nice a warm with no troubles so far. I am pleased with the deal. Happ