Floating Thermal Blankets - Worth The $50?

RuBaDuB

Hi there, what is the general consensus of the typical 1/4" 2lb foam insulating blankets? The "energy saver" websites say they can add up to R4 to your cover rating and are a must to improve efficiency. This would be ideal in my case with a tub wall rating of R20 and cover rating of R14...at least this is what is on the California Energy website says, who knows how accurate this is. ANyone use these and notice a difference in energy savings?

Also, if my filter is at the water surface level to skim the crud off the top of the water, will this cover trap stuff under it and not filter properly?? Any help on this is appreciated, thanks.

Hi there, what is the general consensus of the typical 1/4" 2lb foam insulating blankets? The "energy saver" websites say they can add up to R4 to your cover rating and are a must to improve efficiency. This would be ideal in my case with a tub wall rating of R20 and cover rating of R14...at least this is what is on the California Energy website says, who knows how accurate this is. ANyone use these and notice a difference in energy savings?

Also, if my filter is at the water surface level to skim the crud off the top of the water, will this cover trap stuff under it and not filter properly?? Any help on this is appreciated, thanks.

I've been wondering the exact same thing. I can't see how it would hurt (unless the air barrier under the full cover helps with insulating?). I saw a device that makes these blankets come off with the full lid. As for the effectiveness of the filter - I'd imagine that it would effect this, as a lot of oils and contaminants float :(

I'll check back to see if anyone else replys.

I love them. The biggest savings to me is not just the energy, but the savings on the wear on your cover. the blanket keeps the chemicals and ozone from getting to the cover.

Many people leave them large enough to set on the top edge of the acrylic rather than cutting them to float on the water which helps the surface water be able to move around, and for tubs with water falls ect, keeps water fromm getting on top of it.

I don't understand "on top edge of the acrylic"...you mean between the cover and acrylic?? And these things are thin and flimsy, so how does it stay up in the air off the surface of the water? Perhaps pinched between tub and cover, but how to keep it up there while putting the cover on? I'm confused...

I love them. The biggest savings to me is not just the energy, but the savings on the wear on your cover. the blanket keeps the chemicals and ozone from getting to the cover.

Many people leave them large enough to set on the top edge of the acrylic rather than cutting them to float on the water which helps the surface water be able to move around, and for tubs with water falls ect, keeps water fromm getting on top of it.

I just purchased my second foam blanket. The first one served me well for two years then it began to rip. I could not find anything to glue it. So I got a new one.

I live New England so we get lots of snow and cold weather. If I use spa alone or with the wife I only fold over blanket for the seats we use.

I no longer sit and watch my money go up in steam, the blanket holds in most of the heat.

I also like the fact it saves my cover from the chemicals.

I cut my blanket to fit the shape of the spa at the water line with the exception of the water fall, I cut blanket leaving a flap that goes over the water fall and rest on the top edge of the spa the weight of the cover holds it in place so if I forget to turn off water fall the water stays under the blanket.

I say it is well worth the cost. :D

I don't understand "on top edge of the acrylic"...you mean between the cover and acrylic?? And these things are thin and flimsy, so how does it stay up in the air off the surface of the water? Perhaps pinched between tub and cover, but how to keep it up there while putting the cover on? I'm confused...

Our floating blanket is made of 1/4 inch thick foam (about $60 from rhtubs.com) so it's pretty rigid. By not cutting it and instead, just leaving it as a 7' X 7' square, it lays on the top edge of the shell on all 4 sides rather than on the surface of the water (though it touches the water in the middle) and then we just close the hard cover over it. The floating blanket doesn't interfere with the waterfall or with the filter when the spa is filtering twice a day. I agree with Hillbilly that the blanket is well worth the money. Hard covers are expensive to replace and, if your spa isn't the best insulated (like ours), then it's also keeping the heat from escaping as quickly. In addition, we have a lot less water evaporation.

Sandi

Please provide the link as I want to order one.

Thanks!

(800) 735-5290

Monday - Thursday, 8:00am - 4:00pm, Friday till 3:00 PST

(510)234-7920

(510)234-7910 fax

Call them soaker, there great to talk to and they know what they're talking about.

For once in your life, don't buy that cheap one Doc sells though, buy the good one, you will be much happier down the road when it lasts longer and does a better job. Almost always, and I know you find this hard to believe but, you get what you pay for.

Please provide the link as I want to order one.

Thanks!

(800) 735-5290

Monday - Thursday, 8:00am - 4:00pm, Friday till 3:00 PST

(510)234-7920

(510)234-7910 fax

Call them soaker, there great to talk to and they know what they're talking about.

For once in your life, don't buy that cheap one Doc sells though, buy the good one, you will be much happier down the road when it lasts longer and does a better job. Almost always, and I know you find this hard to believe but, you get what you pay for.

I have had a foam blanket since October. I can't compare to not having since I have had since day 1 of my first Hot Tub, but I like it. It at minimum keeps evaporation down and I can tell you that it is getting beat up by the Ozone, not my expensive cover. My electric bills are low, but I have a HotSprings and they are known for that. I bought mine from a guy on Ebay. Standup Ebayer as my first one had a slight tear in it and he replaced. Top notch customer service and a fair price. Mine does not bunch up when on the clean cycle. To remove, I flip cover, then pull half of blanket onto cover and lift entire unit up. Then to put back on, i reverse. Pulling half of cover down, i then lay the blanket on water and position, then closing the cover and locking.

Here is the product I bought: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/premium_foam...QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Good luck.

Ted

Order 3 and I throw in the shipping too :lol::D

The blanket really works great but I am very disappointed in the way it is holding up. I purchased it in November form Roberts and it has already developed 2 cracks and the seam where it is glued together started coming apart. I attached that end to the side of the tub so that stopped the seam from separating. I think the cracks may have come from where the blanket was originally folded in shipping but I don't know. I do know that they have not come from misuse. Since the blanket is attached to the tub it never has touched the ground. When I use the tub I slide the cover back onto a frame that I built and then lay the blanket on top of the cover. One of the cracks on the blanket is where it touches the water and the other crack doesn't even touch the water. It hasn't been put under any type of stress. It doesn't appear to be rotting so thats why I think the cracks were caused by the fold. Maybe I just got a bad one since I have have not heard anyone else talking about these problems.

If you get one I hope you have better success because it really works great and without a doubt it protects the underside of the cover.

fms, is this the foam or the bubble blanket? If it's the foam blanket, give us a call. Sounds like a warranty issue and you're due a replacement.

This is an 8 foot foam blanket. I don't have the receipt and it's probably not worth my time shipping it back, etc. Thanks anyway.

fms

fms, is this the foam or the bubble blanket? If it's the foam blanket, give us a call. Sounds like a warranty issue and you're due a replacement.

This is an 8 foot foam blanket. I don't have the receipt and it's probably not worth my time shipping it back, etc. Thanks anyway.

fms

Haven't had any problems with cracks in mine but did have the seam start to come apart. Contacted rhtubs.com and they shipped me a new one - I didn't have to ship the other one back!! They should have a record of your purchase even if you don't have the receipt!

Sandi

• 2 weeks later...
And going out UPS to you today, a new blanket. Easy eh?

Just as you said. I received the new blanket today. In fact it may have come several days ago but I just got it today. Without a doubt I purchased it at the right place. It's nice to find someone that actually stands behind what they sell.

Thanks for all your support and non hassle policy. That is something hard to find these days. You have my business.

fms