Aqua Rite Swg

tammy

We recently converted to a SWG and I'm thinking about going back to Chlorine. We are at about $300 in three weeks at the Pool Store. The water is still like blue milk. We have called the manufacturer and were told the diagnostics checked out. Has anyone had this experience? What did you do?

Can you elaborate??? You sound frustrated, perhaps I or someone here can help you, but we would need more info to do that. It sounds like you maybe added a phosphate remover to the pool??? I also noticed on another post you wouldn't recommend aqua rite, so i am assuming you have one. I wouldn't be so hastly to blame the pool store or the SWG! They really do work, albeit not as easy as set it and forget it. Many people are sold on its ease of use, and they really have no clue as to how to maintain the pool. They just think, hey, I bought this item, and everything will be perfect. As of today, there just isn't any such device.

Let us know whats going on, and maybe we can help.

Paul

Paul-

You are right I am frustrated. We live in Florida for the record (if that makes a difference). We uncovered the pool the end of March went to the pool store to find out what the balance should be for the conversion. bought the necessary chemicals to "balance" everything, took a water sample back to the pool store, everything was within "balance. Installed the Aqua Rite on Saturday 4/4/09, added the salt etc., Monday it was a little off color so we took a water sample in, bought the necessary chemicals, WHAM by Tuesday-the pool was green as a catfish pond, back to the pool store on Thursday, was told to add 4 gallons of miriatic acid over four days, turn the machine to SuperChlorinate. Called Goldline and went through diagnostics-everything was fine according to the tech. Emailed goldline and was told to have PS test for Phosphates and Nitrates. Went back to the pool store, was sold something to remove phosphates, plus algecide and shock (AGAIN). Finally the pool turned from green pond scum to a nice milkly blue and that is where we have been for 2-3 weeks. We flocked it, but it did not good, in the meantime, while this was going on we installed a new filter cartridge and have been changing it out weekly. We did a partial water change out on Sunday and added more salt because the Aqua Rite said it was low. Today another trip back to the pool store to see what they say this time. I am beginning to think the pool store is just trying to sell products. Should we not have added Phosphate remover?????

Wow, sounds like you've got a mess. I am not saying you shouldn't have added the phos remover. If it needed it, then by all means, i would have added it. It does sound like maybe you added tooo much. The milky white color is the remover still unfiltered in your pool. The pool has eithter not run long enough, or the filter has something wrong witht it. What is the pressure on the tank??? Who installed the filter?? What size of filter??

My biggest question is this. You wrote we added 4 gallons of acid? Is that a typo? Or did you misunderstand the instructions???

Paul

No 4 gallons was not a typo. We added one gallon per day over a 4 day period.We followed the instructions given by our pool store to the letter. We live in Gainesville, Florida and I think our pool store just sees dollar symbols everytime we come through the door. Our poll is a mess...but at least it doesn't look like green pond scum anymore.. We have cleaned the cell, added more acid since getting the water tested again yesterday. We have replaced the filter cartridge with a brand new out of the package cartridge filter. The filter system is a Pentair-I'm sorry I don't know the size but it is VERY large. The pool is 26,000 gallons and the filtration system has handled the pool for two summers just fine. We basically take a water sample, go to the pool store, they test it, sell us chemicals and we come home and do what we are told, give it a day and start the process all over again. As of today the PH is low so we are now trying to bring it up.

No 4 gallons was not a typo. We added one gallon per day over a 4 day period.We followed the instructions given by our pool store to the letter. We live in Gainesville, Florida and I think our pool store just sees dollar symbols everytime we come through the door. Our poll is a mess...but at least it doesn't look like green pond scum anymore.. We have cleaned the cell, added more acid since getting the water tested again yesterday. We have replaced the filter cartridge with a brand new out of the package cartridge filter. The filter system is a Pentair-I'm sorry I don't know the size but it is VERY large. The pool is 26,000 gallons and the filtration system has handled the pool for two summers just fine. We basically take a water sample, go to the pool store, they test it, sell us chemicals and we come home and do what we are told, give it a day and start the process all over again. As of today the PH is low so we are now trying to bring it up.

It sounds like you don't fully trust your pool store. I've found pool stores to be hit and miss. Some are great. Some, as you put it, have $ in their eyes. Others are uninterested and will sell you anything for the sake of it. For example, on a number of occasions I've witnessed them pretend to test the water sample I bring them in but instead just make up the results based on the description of the water I gave them. Then they recommend a bunch of chemicals.

If I were you, I would do a few things. First...don't give up on the salt water generator yet. Get the pool right first, then give the generator a better shot. Second, if you have other pool stores near by (it's Florida...you must) try a few out until you find one you like. Third, get your own test kit (don't use strips) and start testing the water on your own. Post your results here. Describe the condition of the water, tell the number of gallons you have, and mention the salt water generator when you do.

The first thing to do though is get your current pool store out of the mix. You've given them weeks and your pool is no better. They've sold you lots of chemicals and things have only gotten worse. Plus, you said you don't trust them. They could be completely honest, however who you are dealing with there, may not be the expert he claims to be.

Good Luck and post some results here!

I'm not as well versed in chemical analysis as others here. I'm more a mechanical tech. I know, I should probably take courses, But i'm too old and to tired to commit more to memory. But I do know this, all manufacturers require you to FIRST balance the pool THEN start the generator. These things wont fix a mess. Now having said that, I'm sure you did this. I hope you have another pool store you can try. These guys don't sound like they are helping you. The 4 gal of acid really throws up a red flag. Never heard of a pool needing so much acid, except for a new plaster job. Buy a test kit, take the tests, note the results, then take a sample to the pool store and see if their results match yours. I would like to hear the reason for the acid.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like what happens when the d. e. doesn't get through the filter. Did you add D. E. when you cleaned your pump?????? Did you take the whole pump apart and hose it off?????

I love my Aqua Rite system but it took a while to find the right service company to help me. I do my own chemicals and testing and I'm a 70-year-old grandma. Haven't taken my pool water to a pool store. I buy acid and d. e. at my Safeway store. I live in Hot Dry Arizona.