Cost Of Operation Of A Sundance

farm boy

I just purchased a used calypso tub and I'm allready thinking about the cost of heating with elect. this winter here in north central Ohio. I have been thinking about the possibility of converting to a propane tank less heating system, does any one have any experence with this ? The propane systems are 5 to 800.00 $$$ I have a life time of experence in plumbing and electrical so the installation would be a DIY Some adds that I have read claim a 60 % reduction in heating cost vs electrical heat I would appreciate any advice on this subject. My tub is out side on a east side covered poarch its well insulated with a new cover .

Thanks

I just purchased a used calypso tub and I'm allready thinking about the cost of heating with elect. this winter here in north central Ohio. I have been thinking about the possibility of converting to a propane tank less heating system, does any one have any experence with this ? The propane systems are 5 to 800.00 $$$ I have a life time of experence in plumbing and electrical so the installation would be a DIY Some adds that I have read claim a 60 % reduction in heating cost vs electrical heat I would appreciate any advice on this subject. My tub is out side on a east side covered poarch its well insulated with a new cover .

Thanks

If you can find one that can heat the gallons you need in the time you want it will work. You are describing the same thing as connecting a small pool heater to heat the spa. You will also need a t stat to control the heat. I would not let the spa do it because it will cycle the propane heater to often. I would leave the spa controls as is for a back up.

If you looking to maintain heat at the same temp then I would just live with the spa heater, since when up to temp it will not run that much, but you would have figure out the costs for heating in your area.

If you looking to run the spa at cooler temps when not being used then jack up the heat in 15 min before use, then I would go with a propane heater. Hayward makes a small 100,000 BTU pool heater

Thanks

If you can find one that can heat the gallons you need in the time you want it will work. You are describing the same thing as connecting a small pool heater to heat the spa. You will also need a t stat to control the heat. I would not let the spa do it because it will cycle the propane heater to often. I would leave the spa controls as is for a back up.

If you looking to maintain heat at the same temp then I would just live with the spa heater, since when up to temp it will not run that much, but you would have figure out the costs for heating in your area.

If you looking to run the spa at cooler temps when not being used then jack up the heat in 15 min before use, then I would go with a propane heater. Hayward makes a small 100,000 BTU pool heater

Thanks for the Info. I guess I will wait a few months and see what the cost is. then decide the next step.

Thanks

Great Topic, I also tried to find out the cost to run a new tub, electric heat, now I am in canada, quite cold in the winter but we also have relatively good electric utility rates. most sales people tell me that to run a new hot tub all year longf including through the winter will add 500 to my electric bill. Does this sound reasonable to anyone with experience and history ?

Thanks

Great Topic, I also tried to find out the cost to run a new tub, electric heat, now I am in canada, quite cold in the winter but we also have relatively good electric utility rates. most sales people tell me that to run a new hot tub all year longf including through the winter will add 500 to my electric bill. Does this sound reasonable to anyone with experience and history ?

Thats a little high for a well insulated high quality tub figure about 30-40 bucks a month.