Great Lakes Spa Gfi Trips After 3 Hrs

trishdbay

Love my hottub & am so distressed-bought a 2004 Great Lakes 7 seater in October from a friend. Worked wonderfully until about a month ago. The GFI (had this put in in Oct with spa) trips after almost exactly 3 hours. The factory default set temp right now is 100 and the spa has no trouble climbing to that and staying on after it reaches that, it just trips at about 3 hours of running. If you try to adjust the default temp, however; it immediately trips the GFI. Again, none of this happened until recently. I don't know if it is a separate issue or not, but I also do periodically find little metal balls which I have been told are ball barings in the tub. Single Mom. . .I need my hottub back correctly! Thanks for your input!

Love my hottub & am so distressed-bought a 2004 Great Lakes 7 seater in October from a friend. Worked wonderfully until about a month ago. The GFI (had this put in in Oct with spa) trips after almost exactly 3 hours. The factory default set temp right now is 100 and the spa has no trouble climbing to that and staying on after it reaches that, it just trips at about 3 hours of running. If you try to adjust the default temp, however; it immediately trips the GFI. Again, none of this happened until recently. I don't know if it is a separate issue or not, but I also do periodically find little metal balls which I have been told are ball barings in the tub. Single Mom. . .I need my hottub back correctly! Thanks for your input!

The ball bearings are from your spinner jets, which will need to be replaced to solve the problem.

The GFCI could be several things which you can find out by dissconnecting componants one at a time starting with the Ozonator, if it has one, and then pumps one at a time and finaly heater, which it sounds like to me from your description it may just be the heater or one of the sensors hooked to it. You need a tech unless your handy.

Make sure to power down between dissconnecting components and then powering up to see if it continues to run for longer than 3 hours untill you find the bad component.

I would like to see what the amperage draw and gfi rating is at about 2 hours 50 min. If you happen to be using a gfi that is the outlet/ push button reset type, those buggers can be flaky. But I guess thats why they cost about a 1/3 of breaker type gfi's

I would like to see what the amperage draw and gfi rating is at about 2 hours 50 min. If you happen to be using a gfi that is the outlet/ push button reset type, those buggers can be flaky. But I guess thats why they cost about a 1/3 of breaker type gfi's

Thank you both for trying to help me, it IS appreciated. The only electical "handiness" is in the ER as a nurse when I use the defibrillator. . :-0. . . .so I am giving all you said to my handy friend to review. I do know that we unhooked the ozonator, so he didn't think it was that. The GFI I had put in was the breaker type from an electrical supplier (250 GFI @P 50A GFI Breaker-on the receipt, cost me $125.00) I'm thinking it if it worked for 6 months, it probably isn't faulty? The Spa's Power System is a Balboa. I will see if my friend can try what you gentleman have suggested and will report back in hopes it will help me and someone else! Thanks so much!