My Water Temp Is Droping

jajs1552

I just bought a new Dimension One Sojourn spa. It's 240v 4.0kw heater with two pumps, one dual and one single speed. My only problem with the spa is that the water temperature drops approximately 1* for every 15 minutes of use. I noticed that the heat indicator light is flashing when I have both pumps running, or just one pump running on high. I assume the heater is not heating when the light is flashing. The only way to get the heat indicator light to stay on is when I have only 1 pump running and on low. I Googled "Hot Tub Water temperature problems" and I have read a few posts about this problem and their solutions. One solution I read was to replace a 40 amp circuit breaker to a 50 amp circuit breaker. I'm not convinced that's my problem. The other solution I read and I want to see if anyone will agree with is, to take the jumper on the pc board from LC mode to HC mode. I assume LC and HC mean low and high current? Does the jumper when set to the LC mode position mean the spa is in a quote, unquote economical mode? Will the heater work with both pumps running with the jumper positioned in the HC mode?

I just bought a new Dimension One Sojourn spa. It's 240v 4.0kw heater with two pumps, one dual and one single speed. My only problem with the spa is that the water temperature drops approximately 1* for every 15 minutes of use. I noticed that the heat indicator light is flashing when I have both pumps running, or just one pump running on high. I assume the heater is not heating when the light is flashing. The only way to get the heat indicator light to stay on is when I have only 1 pump running and on low. I Googled "Hot Tub Water temperature problems" and I have read a few posts about this problem and their solutions. One solution I read was to replace a 40 amp circuit breaker to a 50 amp circuit breaker. I'm not convinced that's my problem. The other solution I read and I want to see if anyone will agree with is, to take the jumper on the pc board from LC mode to HC mode. I assume LC and HC mean low and high current? Does the jumper when set to the LC mode position mean the spa is in a quote, unquote economical mode? Will the heater work with both pumps running with the jumper positioned in the HC mode?

Be carefull changing to HC that your wire size and breaker is capable of it. If your not convinced that 40 amps is your problem than find out. Tell us what size wire you have?

dont you have a dealer?

The store I bought it from is going out of business. They were selling everything at cost and that is why I bought it. I couldn't beat the price!! I tried calling another dealer that sells D1's in the St. Louis area but they weren't open yesterday. Holiday hours I assume.

I had the spa wired with 50 feet of 8 awg copper wire. The GFI is a 50amp breaker and the breaker in the house is a 40amp breaker.

Check and see if there is a wiring diagram in your owner's manual or look on the inside of the service panel. It should show you how to set it up. Did you hire an electrician to hook it up or did you do the work yourself?

I just bought a new Dimension One Sojourn spa. It's 240v 4.0kw heater

That's a 350gallon Spa with a 4KW heater. Will it take a 5.5kw element? You might need to change the breaker to a 50-- but the breaker itself will not affect the ability to keep the water warm.

My old Thermospa is 220 gallons & has a 5.5 heater. This morning it was 40F degrees out & I turned the temp from 100 to 101 while I was soaking. Cover off & jets/aeration on and it only took it 10 minutes to reach 101.

What is the air temp while you're losing 1 degree in 15 minutes?

Jim

I just bought a new Dimension One Sojourn spa. It's 240v 4.0kw heater

That's a 350gallon Spa with a 4KW heater. Will it take a 5.5kw element? You might need to change the breaker to a 50-- but the breaker itself will not affect the ability to keep the water warm.

My old Thermospa is 220 gallons & has a 5.5 heater. This morning it was 40F degrees out & I turned the temp from 100 to 101 while I was soaking. Cover off & jets/aeration on and it only took it 10 minutes to reach 101.

What is the air temp while you're losing 1 degree in 15 minutes?

Jim

We live in the St. Louis area and the other night the temp outside was in the teens. Today the temperature is in the 40's and the water didn't drop as fast however it went from 104* to 100* in about an hour and a half. During that time the heater indicator light started to flash once the temperature started to drop below 103* (both pumps running). After I got out I shut off one pump and set the dual speed pump to low and the heater indicator light went from flashing to on all the time. It took about another10 minutes and the water temperature went up one degree without the cover on. This is the only time the heater will actually heat the water and that's when I'm done and want to go back inside. Here is my best case scenario, I would like to set the water temperature to 102* and have the heater sustain that temp with both pumps running, but instead I have to set the temp to 104* and let it drop. I am going to call around tomorrow and ask if I set the jumper on the PC board from LC mode to HC mode if this will remedy my problem. I don’t want to change any settings unless I’m convinced it won’t hurt anything. Here is a little history about the tub… it was a display model in the showroom where I bought it and it was wired for 110v for display. My electrician wired everything to run on 220v after I got it to the house. I think and I may be wrong, but I think the jumper was never set to the HC mode for 220v and left in the LC mode for the 110v display mode. How's that for a short answer!

Personally, if I couldn't find all the answers in a manual or on their website, I'd give the company a call. Sounds like you're right- but it would be a shame to fry something if you're not.

Call them and ask;

1. What does the flashing light mean?

2. Should the jumpers be set to HC for 220 operation.

[and while I was talking to them I'd ask about a bigger element- though if the answers to the above confirm your suspicions you might not need it]

Jim

Personally, if I couldn't find all the answers in a manual or on their website, I'd give the company a call. Sounds like you're right- but it would be a shame to fry something if you're not.

Call them and ask;

1. What does the flashing light mean?

2. Should the jumpers be set to HC for 220 operation.

[and while I was talking to them I'd ask about a bigger element- though if the answers to the above confirm your suspicions you might not need it]

Jim

Great!..I appreciate the advice. I will give them a call tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
Your spa is designed to put the heater into stand by mode when both pumps are running to lower amp draw. This is not a problem it is the way the spa pack is programmed. There may be a way in the low level programming to override this, but that would mean you would have to increase the amperage supplied to the spa..

Your spa is designed to put the heater into stand by mode when both pumps are running to lower amp draw. This is not a problem it is the way the spa pack is programmed. There may be a way in the low level programming to override this, but that would mean you would have to increase the amperage supplied to the spa..

BINGO :o

As long as you are running THHN/THWN #8 AWG in conduit to your 50Amp disconnect and to your spa, you can change out your breaker to a 50 Amp breaker. This would allow you to use the HC setting and run your heater with your pumps. Do your own due diligence on this. I'm not taking responsibility for my advice should anything go wrong.