Power Out In Winter?

Ok,, so a buddy asked the other day,, what are we going to do if we lose power when its cold out.. what happens to the hot tub.. I have no idea,, never thought about it,, what do all you guys do if that happens(cold weather people) and how long till it does damage? Its a new calspa if that makes any difference..

Don't lift the cover. Keep everything buttoned up. The water will stay warm for days. If you loose power for over a week, the hot tub is probably the least of your worries.

Ok,, so a buddy asked the other day,, what are we going to do if we lose power when its cold out.. what happens to the hot tub.. I have no idea,, never thought about it,, what do all you guys do if that happens(cold weather people) and how long till it does damage? Its a new calspa if that makes any difference..

Ditto to above, but it's good to have a contingency plan in place incase. If the power is out for the house, yes you have other issues if it gets to be more than a day or 2 and draining your tub will be the least of your worries, but a drain is an easy solution if it is going to more than a few days. Don't forget to learn how to evacuate the lines with either a shop vac or a loosened union to get the residual water from the lines. If it is your tub that is broke and you still have power then a different approach can get you to weeks with out any problems. A strategicly placed trouble light can delay any freeze up for weeks as long as your temp stays above 0 At some of the more fridgid temps -10...-20 then there are other ways to delay freeze up but a repair needs to be facilitated ASAP

I have an diesel auxiliary generator that is big enough to run the hot tub if the power goes out.

Dave

I'm guessing most people don't have a generator to power the spa. For them, hanging a light inside the equipment compartment (one that gives off heat, not a compact fluorescent ;) ) is the best approach assuming you have the ability to power a light bulb.

I have an diesel auxiliary generator that is big enough to run the hot tub if the power goes out.

Dave

I'm guessing most people don't have a generator to power the spa. For them, hanging a light inside the equipment compartment (one that gives off heat, not a compact fluorescent ;) ) is the best approach assuming you have the ability to power a light bulb.

My personal choice is to raise the control rods a bit to increase the reaction rate. :rolleyes:

Dave

My personal choice is to raise the control rods a bit to increase the reaction rate. :rolleyes:

Or a big magnifying glass!

I wonder if there is an aftermarket alarm where a floating thermomoter sends info to an indoor remote, alerting you to any changes you program it to.

I have heard that Hydropool offers this on their models.

Dave

You know how some people say size doesn’t matter? Well with generators and hot tubs size matters big time. If your generator is rated to put out 220v 60a you may freeze in your house while your hot tub stays warm and toasty! Also make sure that the line from your generator to your house or tub can support all your generator can put out. If your line is too small you may have a nice warm fire in your house from the melted wires!

<<<Pete>>>

My hot tub doesn't draw 50 amps, when it is up to temperature, heck, it doesn't EVER draw 50 amps, that is just the maximum it CAN draw before the breakers trip, it has two breakers: a 20 amp and a 30 amp, those are hooked to a 50 amp breaker in my main breaker box.

It has a small circulating pump that runs continuously and the heater cycles on and off. The jet pump only turns on when I turn it on. I'd be surprised if it drew 30 amps total in normal operation, with the jet pump running.

I haven't had the power go out since I got the tub, but all I really have to do is run the heater enough to keep it from freezing, it doesn't have to be on all the time.

Dave

My hot tub doesn't draw 50 amps, when it is up to temperature, heck, it doesn't EVER draw 50 amps, that is just the maximum it CAN draw before the breakers trip, it has two breakers: a 20 amp and a 30 amp, those are hooked to a 50 amp breaker in my main breaker box.

It has a small circulating pump that runs continuously and the heater cycles on and off. The jet pump only turns on when I turn it on. I'd be surprised if it drew 30 amps total in normal operation, with the jet pump running.

I haven't had the power go out since I got the tub, but all I really have to do is run the heater enough to keep it from freezing, it doesn't have to be on all the time.

Dave

If you keep the water moving it will likely not freeze even with out the heater.

Dave

Believe it or not a generator that has 30amp service is more than enough to run everything you have in your house including the hot tub and the AC. When the heater kicks in it has an initial draw that requires the 50 amps. I have seen peoples generators melt as a result of the startup of hot tubs and AC units. Safety first and if your hot tub gets damaged by a storm make sure your homeowners or renters insurance covers it. Also you can buy a plans from warranty companies like American Home Shield that will give your spa service for a 50$ co-pay. If they cant fix it they will replace it at no charge in most cases.

You can wrap your spa with thick blackets if its not raining.you can get a tarp and make a tent for the spa and put a non electric heater in it.you only need to raise the temp to 40.