Spa Chemicals

jennG

Okay we finally bought a spa(Caldera Niagara). Any opinions on which chemicals are best to start. Bromine or chlorine? When we did the wet test they had chlorine in it and I was so itchy the next day! Also we have small children. Thanks!

First, let me welcome you to Spatopia! May you soak long and prosper.

Next, let me congratulate you on spelling 'Niagara" correctly. Few do.

And then, let me offer this: with small children I still recommend chlorine.

Your dealer may have had the chlorine level up a bit higher than what you would have to run it once your spa is all settled in. That often happens: our display spas have people sticking hands in tub all day and they seem to require more chlorine and more work than my spa at home ever does.

So give chlorine a shot for the first few months. If you really don't like it, you could try some of the alternatives, but be aware they all cost more, some are harder to work with, and still others will work better if you unplug your built-in ozone system.

Let us know how it goes.

Okay we finally bought a spa(Caldera Niagara). Any opinions on which chemicals are best to start. Bromine or chlorine? When we did the wet test they had chlorine in it and I was so itchy the next day! Also we have small children. Thanks!

I have used both chlorine and bromine in my own spas and personally prefer chlorine. It is less expensive and a bit easier to use in terms of the water balancing involved. The itching you experienced might or might not have been from the chlorine. Many other factors of water balance can contribute to that such as pH. Bromine is a known sensitizer and many more people exhibit a reaction to it than to chlorine. Bromine is a bit more complicated to use and is not as 'fussy' about pH but you need to keep closer watch on your Total Alkalinity with it (expecially with a "3 step" bromine system that uses tabs in addtion to sodium bromine and an oxizider).. Either one is an effective sanitizer when used properly. The first thing you should do is invest in a GOOD test kit to maintain your water balance. Don't depend on test strips! They do not provide the precision you need to maintain proper water balance. If you go with chlorine I would recommend the Taylor K-2006

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products...&KitID=2230

and if you go with Bromine the Taylor K-2106. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products...&KitID=2232

You won't regret one penny spent on either of these test kits!

The fact that you have small children really havs no bearing on which sanitizer you select. If you maintain your spa properly the water should be pathogen free and non irriataing. You do want to keep your chemicals safely locked away from them since ALL pool and spa chemical are dangerous. Both of these sanizier systems are also used in swimming pools with chlorine being the first choice for outdoor pools and bromine being more popular with indoor pools not exposed to sunlight (for technical reasons that I won't go into here since they are not applicable to spas...unless your spa is indoors in which case Bromine would be a better choice, IMHO)

If you spa has an ozonator, then bromine would also be a better choice since the ozone would help reactivate the "bromine bank" in the water

First, let me welcome you to Spatopia! May you soak long and prosper.

Next, let me congratulate you on spelling 'Niagara" correctly. Few do.

And then, let me offer this: with small children I still recommend chlorine.

Your dealer may have had the chlorine level up a bit higher than what you would have to run it once your spa is all settled in. That often happens: our display spas have people sticking hands in tub all day and they seem to require more chlorine and more work than my spa at home ever does.

So give chlorine a shot for the first few months. If you really don't like it, you could try some of the alternatives, but be aware they all cost more, some are harder to work with, and still others will work better if you unplug your built-in ozone system.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, great reply. You're right he did mention he shocked it that day. Chlorine seems the best option to start. Have you heard of a cup of Hydrogen Peroxide per day, nothing else? We know two people doing this and they love it. P.S. I always thought I was a pretty good speller..ha ha...

I have used both chlorine and bromine in my own spas and personally prefer chlorine. It is less expensive and a bit easier to use in terms of the water balancing involved. The itching you experienced might or might not have been from the chlorine. Many other factors of water balance can contribute to that such as pH. Bromine is a known sensitizer and many more people exhibit a reaction to it than to chlorine. Bromine is a bit more complicated to use and is not as 'fussy' about pH but you need to keep closer watch on your Total Alkalinity with it (expecially with a "3 step" bromine system that uses tabs in addtion to sodium bromine and an oxizider).. Either one is an effective sanitizer when used properly. The first thing you should do is invest in a GOOD test kit to maintain your water balance. Don't depend on test strips! They do not provide the precision you need to maintain proper water balance. If you go with chlorine I would recommend the Taylor K-2006

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products...&KitID=2230

and if you go with Bromine the Taylor K-2106. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products...&KitID=2232

You won't regret one penny spent on either of these test kits!

The fact that you have small children really havs no bearing on which sanitizer you select. If you maintain your spa properly the water should be pathogen free and non irriataing. You do want to keep your chemicals safely locked away from them since ALL pool and spa chemical are dangerous. Both of these sanizier systems are also used in swimming pools with chlorine being the first choice for outdoor pools and bromine being more popular with indoor pools not exposed to sunlight (for technical reasons that I won't go into here since they are not applicable to spas...unless your spa is indoors in which case Bromine would be a better choice, IMHO)

If you spa has an ozonator, then bromine would also be a better choice since the ozone would help reactivate the "bromine bank" in the water

Thanks, I think we'll go with chlorine. We do have an ozonator, is that OK? Th spa will be really sheltered, under a roof, surrounded by deck, but outside. Thanks!

Thanks, great reply. You're right he did mention he shocked it that day. Chlorine seems the best option to start. Have you heard of a cup of Hydrogen Peroxide per day, nothing else? We know two people doing this and they love it. P.S. I always thought I was a pretty good speller..ha ha...

Hydrogen peroxide is NOT a santizer, only an oxidizer. If you are going to use it you need to use it with a compatible sanizier (biguanide). Biguanide is NOT my first choice. It is expensive and not easy to use. It will also shorten the lifespan of your filter elements and they will require much more fequent cleaning and soaking! It goes under such names as Baquaspa, Softsoak, Revacil, and others. There are only 3 EPA approved sanitizers...chlorine, bromine, and biguanide. Any other 'system" is NOT EPA approved and can leave you with a vat of growing microorganisms!

Thanks, I think we'll go with chlorine. We do have an ozonator, is that OK? Th spa will be really sheltered, under a roof, surrounded by deck, but outside. Thanks!

Chlorine and ozone tend to fight each other but can be used sucessfully together. Bromine and ozone work well together. The ozone reactives the bromine while in a chlorine system the ozone tends to deplete the chlorine and vice versa.

I have been using Soft Soak products (peroxide based) in my spa for about 6 months and am very pleased with the results. There is a slight clean smell to the spa water rather than a chlorine or bromine smell. The water does not bleach out swimsuits and is very easy on your skin and eyes. Weekly I just add a small amount of Soft Soak shock, Waterline control, Stain and Scale control and Sanitizer only if needed. It does cost a little more than Chlorine or Bromine, but is worth it in my opinion. I really like the fact that it doesn't dry out my skin very much and there is no need to shower afterwards. The only setup change you need to make is to disable the ozonator, this water treatment program works better without using the ozonator.

I have been using Soft Soak products (peroxide based) in my spa for about 6 months and am very pleased with the results. There is a slight clean smell to the spa water rather than a chlorine or bromine smell. The water does not bleach out swimsuits and is very easy on your skin and eyes. Weekly I just add a small amount of Soft Soak shock, Waterline control, Stain and Scale control and Sanitizer only if needed. It does cost a little more than Chlorine or Bromine, but is worth it in my opinion. I really like the fact that it doesn't dry out my skin very much and there is no need to shower afterwards. The only setup change you need to make is to disable the ozonator, this water treatment program works better without using the ozonator.

SoftSoak is NOT a peroxide based system. It is a biguanide based system. The peroxide is only an oxidizer to burn off organics in the water, NOT your sanitizer! Peroxide by itself will not sanitizer the water nor is it EPA registered. Once again, there are only 3 EPA registered sanitizers...chlorine, bromine, and biguanide!

SoftSoak is NOT a peroxide based system. It is a biguanide based system. The peroxide is only an oxidizer to burn off organics in the water, NOT your sanitizer! Peroxide by itself will not sanitizer the water nor is it EPA registered. Once again, there are only 3 EPA registered sanitizers...chlorine, bromine, and biguanide!

Whatever all knowing Waterbear, take a good look at the back of the bottle of SoftSoak Shock. It says 7.5% hydrogen peroxide solution in the contents description which is what I meant by peroxide based, excuse me if I used the wrong terminology. The sanitizer is biguanide sanitizer like you say. Back to my main point. I like it because it doesn't stink like bromine or chlorine, doesn't soak into your skin or hair and make it bleach or stink, doesn't fade my swimsuit, doesn't dry out my skin or irritate my eyes and it lasts longer than chlorine or bromine. This is coming from a person who actually uses a spa nearly every day. Those are reasons enough for me to like it. Personally I could care less if it is not EPA approved, it doesn't need to be. Some of the most health hazardous chemicals are EPA approved for use? You are more comforted by the fact that chlorine is EPA approved?? That is my 2 cents worth, and my opinion is that I like Soft Soak as a better option than chlorine or bromine.

Whatever all knowing Waterbear, take a good look at the back of the bottle of SoftSoak Shock. It says 7.5% hydrogen peroxide solution in the contents description which is what I meant by peroxide based, excuse me if I used the wrong terminology. The sanitizer is biguanide sanitizer like you say. Back to my main point. I like it because it doesn't stink like bromine or chlorine, doesn't soak into your skin or hair and make it bleach or stink, doesn't fade my swimsuit, doesn't dry out my skin or irritate my eyes and it lasts longer than chlorine or bromine. This is coming from a person who actually uses a spa nearly every day. Those are reasons enough for me to like it. Personally I could care less if it is not EPA approved, it doesn't need to be. Some of the most health hazardous chemicals are EPA approved for use? You are more comforted by the fact that chlorine is EPA approved?? That is my 2 cents worth, and my opinion is that I like Soft Soak as a better option than chlorine or bromine.

Softsoak is biguainde! The oxidizer used with biguanide (shock if you like that term better) IS hydrogen peroxide but an oxidizer is NOT a sanitizer. They have different puposes in the total chemical system. Biguanide is one of the 3 EPA aprroved sanitizers. You cannot maintain a spa on hydrogen peroxide alone.

Biguanide based systems such as SoftSoak, Baquaspa, and Revacil do work but they also have drawbacks such as the frequent filter cleaning and replacement when compared to chlorine and bromine, the cost, stinging eyes (a very commen complaint), water clarity problems, and algae and water mold problems, not to mention the accumulation of goo (commenly referred to as 'baquagoo" from the first biguanide based system on the market) that forms in the tub and fould the filter when the biguanide causes the bacterial walls to explode and clump together instead of breaking them down and burning them up like halogen based sanitizers (chlorine and bromine).

The fact that you said it doesn't stink like chlorine tell me that you have never been in a properly sanitized chlorine spa.

As far as using a spa every day I have owned more than one spa and pool in my life and I work in a pool/spa supply and not only test water for customers but diagnose water problems and help them fix them so I think I might just have a bit more experience in the 3 different sanitizer systems (and "alternative sanitizers like ozone and ionizers) than you do and perhaps know just a bit more about them. There is a newbie asking a question and you provided inaccurate information when you said that it was a peroxide based system. It is a polyhexamethylenebiguanide hydrochloride based sanitizer that uses hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer of organics in the water....much the same way a chlorine based system can use hypchloruous acid as the santizer and an oxygen based 'shock' (potassium monopersulfate" as the oxidizer. Chlorine and bromine are both sanitizer and oxidizers so oxygen based shocks are not even necessary with them.

If you do a bit of research on water borne pathogens in hot tubs you will realize the importance of using an EPA approved sanitation system in your hot tub (which you are).

One final thing, I am not 'all knowing' but I do have a better understainding of water chemistry than you do....that is obvious from your post.

Softsoak is biguainde! The oxidizer used with biguanide (shock if you like that term better) IS hydrogen peroxide but an oxidizer is NOT a sanitizer. They have different puposes in the total chemical system. Biguanide is one of the 3 EPA aprroved sanitizers. You cannot maintain a spa on hydrogen peroxide alone.

Biguanide bases systems such as SoftSoak, Baquaspa, and Revacil do work but they also have drawbacks such as the frequent filter cleaning and replacement when compared to chlorine and bromine, the cost, stinging eyes (a very commen complaint), water clarity problems, and algae and water mold problems, not to mention the accumulation of goo (commenly referred to as 'baquagoo" from the first biguanide based system on the market) that forms in the tub and fould the filter when the biguanide causes the bacterial walls to explode and clump together instead of breaking them down and burning them up like halogen based sanitizers (chlorine and bromine).

The fact that you said it doesn't stink like chlorine tell me that you have never been in a properly sanitized chlorine spa.

As far as using a spa every day I have owned more than one spa and pool in my life and I work in a pool/spa supply and not only test water for customers but diagnose water problems and help them fix them so I think I might just have a bit more experience in the 3 different santizer systems (and "alternaive sanitizers like ozone and ionizers) than you do and perhaps know just a bit more about them. There is a newbie asking a question and you provided inaccurate information when you said that it was a peroxide bases system. It is a polyhexamethylenebiguanide hydrochloride based sanitizer that uses hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer of organics in the water....much the same way a chlorine based system can use hypchloruous acid as the santizer and an oxygen based 'shock' (potassium monopersulfate" as the oxidizer. Chlorine and bromine are both sanitizer and oxidizers so oxygen based shocks are not even necessary with them.

If you do a bit of research on water borne pathogens in hot tubs you will realize the importance of using an EPA approved sanition system in your hot tub (which you are).

One final thing, I am not 'all knowing' but I do have a better understainding of water chemistry than you do....that is obvious from your post.

Going back to grade school and learning to spell would be my suggestion for you. If you think you are the only one with the "right" opinion about what is the best water treatment to use for a spa, you better think again. I merely stated that I happen to like using Soft Soak in my spa. If you don't like that go **** yourself. Biotchhh!!

Going back to grade school and learning to spell would be my suggestion for you. If you think you are the only one with the "right" opinion about what is the best water treatment to use for a spa, you better think again. I merely stated that I happen to like using Soft Soak in my spa. If you don't like that go **** yourself. Biotchhh!!

NO, you stated that you used hydrogen peroxide in your spa, SoftSoak is NOT hydrogen peroxide based. And you have shown everyone in the forum just how ignorant and juvenile you are by your 4 letter words and insults. Pretty much discredits anything you have to say right there! I will not continue this any further since it is not constructive and does not give any valuable info to those seeking advice.

You said that what you posted was your opinion....opinions are like backsides, everyone has one and they all stink. My post was factual information. There is a difference.

EDIT: I just took the time to go through your other posts and you seem to have a habit of insulting people. It also seems that you have wet tested just about every spa out there from your posts and know which ones are good and which ones are junk based on your limited experience with them. Amazing! This is the first chemical post you have ever made so that does not give you much credibility in this area. I have put you on 'ignore'. I hope people looking for info and advice do the same.

NO, you stated that you used hydrogen peroxide in your spa, SoftSoak is NOT hydrogen peroxide based. And you have shown everyone in the forum just how ignorant and juvenile you are by your 4 letter words and insults. Pretty much discredits anything you have to say right there! I will not continue this any further since it is not constructive and does not give any valuable info to those seeking advice.

You said that what you posted was your opinion....opinions are like backsides, everyone has one and they all stink. My post was factual information. There is a difference.

EDIT: I just took the time to go through your other posts and you seem to have a habit of insulting people. It also seems that you have wet tested just about every spa out there from your posts and know which ones are good and which ones are junk based on your limited experience with them. Amazing! This is the first chemical post you have ever made so that does not give you much credibility in this area. I have put you on 'ignore'. I hope people looking for info and advice do the same.

I am happy that you took the time to read all my other 50 some posts, apparently you found them to be interesting enough to intrigue you. Hopefully you learned some things. Where do you find the time? I can't understand how you expect to be treated any other way when you try to belittle someone for having an opinion about something that differs from your own. You are right I should not have dropped myself down to your level and insulted you back. For those other forum readers I am sorry for that. That is not the purpose of the forum. When you learn to respect others you will in turn be treated with respect. I don't profess to be a spa water expert as you do yourself. Apparently I made the mistake of calling a product peroxide based when according to you it isn't. This still doesn't give you the right to jump down my throat about it. I'm certainly not going to be inclined to just sit there and take it. I simply wanted to share my first hand experience with a spa water treatment I have been using for months. This gives the person who originally asked the question some other information on other viable spa water treatments. How much practical experience do you have with this product? In my many months of using this product (SoftSoak) I have never experienced any of the negative characteristics you described about it.

I like dichlor also. If done right, added in the right quantity after your soak, by the next day it will be at or below .5 PPM which does not smell or is any higher than the water coming from your tap. Improperly done it can smell, burn your eyes, and fade your suits. And with chlrorine you will have no dout about bacteria free water.

In my case in conjunction with Ozone and Silver ions even if I don't use the tub or add chlorine for 2-3 even 4 days my water is ready for another soak and then I add more chlorine in the right quantity and it is gone with no smell or iritation byt the next day.

Biguanide based systems such as SoftSoak, Baquaspa, and Revacil do work but they also have drawbacks such as the frequent filter cleaning and replacement when compared to chlorine and bromine, the cost, stinging eyes (a very commen complaint), water clarity problems, and algae and water mold problems, not to mention the accumulation of goo (commenly referred to as 'baquagoo" from the first biguanide based system on the market) that forms in the tub and fould the filter when the biguanide causes the bacterial walls to explode and clump together instead of breaking them down and burning them up like halogen based sanitizers (chlorine and bromine).

As far as using a spa every day I have owned more than one spa and pool in my life and I work in a pool/spa supply and not only test water for customers but diagnose water problems and help them fix them so I think I might just have a bit more experience in the 3 different sanitizer systems (and "alternative sanitizers like ozone and ionizers) than you do and perhaps know just a bit more about them. There is a newbie asking a question and you provided inaccurate information when you said that it was a peroxide based system. It is a polyhexamethylenebiguanide hydrochloride based sanitizer that uses hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer of organics in the water....much the same way a chlorine based system can use hypchloruous acid as the santizer and an oxygen based 'shock' (potassium monopersulfate" as the oxidizer. Chlorine and bromine are both sanitizer and oxidizers so oxygen based shocks are not even necessary with them.

If you do a bit of research on water borne pathogens in hot tubs you will realize the importance of using an EPA approved sanitation system in your hot tub (which you are).

What an arrogant "*** head" you are. You don't have any practical experience.

At least he is no longer actually spelling out the foul language like in most of his other posts! Maybe there is hope for him yet.

Answer my question. How much practical experience do you have? How old are you?

Answer my question. How much practical experience do you have? How old are you?

I find these are strange questions....If he must know I am in my 50's so if he can do the math he can figure out how much practical experience I have. I will not anwer him directly anymore. If anyone wants to know why just read his posts in any of the threads he posts in. His foul langauge and insults to other posters are the reasons that I will no longer give him a direct reply. Because of him we have lost Amanda on this forum. We probably have lost other valued posters also.

I find these are strange questions....If he must know I am in my 50's so if he can do the math he can figure out how much practical experience I have. I will not anwer him directly anymore. If anyone wants to know why just read his posts in any of the threads he posts in. His foul langauge and insults to other posters are the reasons that I will no longer give him a direct reply. Because of him we have lost Amanda on this forum. We probably have lost other valued posters also.

Why don't you just stop making excuses and answer the question how much practical experience do you really have?? You weren't afraid to try to put me in my place when I tried to share my opinion so what gives? I think this question is justified since you consider yourself to be the one and only supreme authority on spa water treatment. The valued posters await your response, your age doesn't reveal much to us with regards to your practical experience.

Why don't you just stop making excuses and answer the question how much practical experience do you really have?? You weren't afraid to try to put me in my place when I tried to share my opinion so what gives? I think this question is justified since you consider yourself to be the one and only supreme authority on spa water treatment. The valued posters await your response, your age doesn't reveal much to us with regards to your practical experience.

However....Jim feels that if he is older than someone it somehow makes him smarter and anyone younger should bow to his knowledge, even if they are smarter. This has been brought up several times. I also am the same age as Jim yet somehow he's a genious and I am an idiot. Even though he has no clue what I know, he has certainly told us over and over and over how smart he is though. And for some reason he thinks its tied to age??????

Wow, what the heck was that all about. Thanks to all for your great opinions. I appreciated the view on Softsoak, and I knew what you meant. I don't care about the specifics of the chemistry, Waterbear. I only care about what it does to my skin, the swimsuits, and the tub. Any other valid opinions out there? This was certainly an option I hadn't heard of. Thanks again all!

I like dichlor also. If done right, added in the right quantity after your soak, by the next day it will be at or below .5 PPM which does not smell or is any higher than the water coming from your tap. Improperly done it can smell, burn your eyes, and fade your suits. And with chlrorine you will have no dout about bacteria free water.

In my case in conjunction with Ozone and Silver ions even if I don't use the tub or add chlorine for 2-3 even 4 days my water is ready for another soak and then I add more chlorine in the right quantity and it is gone with no smell or iritation byt the next day.

What? Are you saying you use chlorine and really like it? No smell or irritation? What about the suits? What are you saying about dichlor?

Wow, what the heck was that all about. Thanks to all for your great opinions. I appreciated the view on Softsoak, and I knew what you meant. I don't care about the specifics of the chemistry, Waterbear. I only care about what it does to my skin, the swimsuits, and the tub. Any other valid opinions out there? This was certainly an option I hadn't heard of. Thanks again all!

What? Are you saying you use chlorine and really like it? No smell or irritation? What about the suits? What are you saying about dichlor?

So any other opinions on biguanide out there? Thanks.

To reinterate, there is a choice of 3 sanitizers....chlorine, bromine, and biguanide.

Chlorine is the easiest to use and when used properly keeps the spa water clean and sanitized with very few side effects. When used properly, there is little or no smell and it is gentle to the skin. Bleaching of bathing suits can occur if you let the levels get too high but that is not using it properly.

Bromine is more expensive and a bit harder to use, It is more likely to cause a reaction with some people since it is a known sensitizer but is a better choice than chlorine if you have an ozonator since ozone works with it instead of against it. (Ozone reactivates bromine while it tends to destroy chlorine, however ozone can be used sucessfully with chlorine if this is taken into account). It is also a better choice for indoor spas. Bromine is less fussy about pH but does make some other water balancing issues a bit harder. Bromine has a distincitive smell that some people find 'strong' or 'chemical'.

Biguanide is an antimicrobial that is used with a hydorgen peroxide oxidizer. It is expensive to use and will require filter and spa cleaning and filter replacement more often than either chlorine or bromine. It is a good choice for people who have a chemical senisitivity to chlorine or bromine. The biggest drawback (besides the price) is the tendency for white water mold and pink algae (both bacterias) to develop an immunity to it over time. It is not compatible with many spa chemicals so if you choose it make sure that any products you use are compatible with it!

Metals (copper/siver or copper/zinc, or copper systems) such as electonic ionizers, Nature2, Spa Frog, Pristine Blue, etc. are not stand alone sanitizers and do need to be used with a residual of chlorine or bromine. Some metal systems, Nature2 for example, are only compatible with chlorine while others,(Spa Frog) can be used with either. The claim is that you can use a reduced sanitizer level with these systems but recent research indicates that the reduced levels of residual sanitzer do not provide properly sanitized water.The Austrailian government has recently passed legislation that requires these system to be used with normal sanitizer levels in spas and pools because of this and Nature2, who promoted their system as a 'low chlorine' alternaitve has recently changed their directions for spa use and it now uses normal chlorine levels and not reduced chlorine levels in the US. The new directions are in the 2006 copyright boxes of their spa cartridges but their website had not been updated last time I looked (about 2 weeks ago). Metals can cause staining of spa surfaces and hair and nails if the levels get too high or the water balance goes 'off'. Metals do have algastatic and bacterostatic properties (they have no effect against viruses) but have very slow kill times which is why a residual chlorine or bromine level is required with them.

Ozone is not a stand alone sanitizer since it does not provide any residual in the water. It can help reduce the amount of sanitizer needed to maintain proper water quaility however.

Hydorgen peroxide by itself and MPS by itself will not properly sanitize the water.

Bottom line, whatever sanitizer system you choose you need to use it properly. The purpose of the sanitizer system is more than to just keep the water clear. It is to keep it safe, pathogen free, and prevent water borne illnesses.

A good test kit is a necessity! Don't rely on test strips. They do not have the precision needed for water balance. This is one area where you should get the best one you can find. Taylor is my fist choice. LaMotte also make good kits but they are a bit more expensive.

I would suggest that you research exactly what each system requires in terms of maintenance and cost and be aware that there is a lot of 'marketing hype' out there to sell expensive equipment with scare tactics (such as saying that chlorine causes cancer, which is a distortion of the facts, or that 'minerals' will keep your water clear....'minerals' are a marketing term for metals. If you want to give different systems a try that would be a good idea since spas are drained and refilled every 3 months approximately. If you decide to to this it is probably easiest to start with chlorine, then try bromine, and if you don't like those two then try biguanide. This is the least problematic way because of the chemical interactions between these different systems. It is very easy to convert a chlorine system to bromine, a bit harder to convert a bromine system to chlorine, and most difficult to convert a biguanide system to either chlorine or bromine but not as difficult to convert chlorine or bromine to biguanide.

I'm saying a properly done dichlor routine has you soaking in .5ppm or less of chlorine, there is no smell or irratation, there is no more chlorine in your water while you are soaking than there is in tap water. No fading of the suits anymore than washing them over and over and over (count how many times you soak) Yes I use chlorine and really like it, it's very very easy and very very effective. Your water not only looks clean but you know it is bacteria free because you use chlorine.

Sorry I have no opinion on biguanide. All my experience with it has it not keeping up with a heavy bather load and creating alot of foam and just plain gunky water. But the customers I have serviced that show these problems like it because its easy also.

FYI, I currently use chlorine in my own spa and have found it to be lower maintenance than when I used bromine. I have seen the gunked up filters, goo in the tub, and white water mold in biguainde spas. People do like it because it is less work initially but once problems start they are very hard to correct. Don't get me wrong, you CAN get a long period of use with biguanide before any of these problems occur (except for the filter maintenance and goo...it's a side effect of biguanide because of how it works).

Bottom line is to learn how to properly maintain your water and keep up with it no matter which sanitizer you decide upon. Preventive water maintenance is MUCH easier than trying to correct problems that occur because you neglected the tub.

All 3 systems work, all three have their own advantages and disadvantages (once you make it through the marketing hype about them).

Personally, I feel chlorine is the easiest and least expensive way to go (and the most forgiving of water maintenance mistakes)

FYI, I currently use chlorine in my own spa and have found it to be lower maintenance than when I used bromine. I have seen the gunked up filters, goo in the tub, and white water mold in biguainde spas. People do like it because it is less work initially but once problems start they are very hard to correct. Don't get me wrong, you CAN get a long period of use with biguanide before any of these problems occur (except for the filter maintenance and goo...it's a side effect of biguanide because of how it works).

Bottom line is to learn how to properly maintain your water and keep up with it no matter which sanitizer you decide upon. Preventive water maintenance is MUCH easier than trying to correct problems that occur because you neglected the tub.

All 3 systems work, all three have their own advantages and disadvantages (once you make it through the marketing hype about them).

Personally, I feel chlorine is the easiest and least expensive way to go (and the most forgiving of water maintenance mistakes)

Waterbear, thank you so much for your help. Great answers! So I really think we'll start with chlorine, however I am still confused about the ozonator. Should we really disable it. That seems to be a waste since it's a nice option we did pay for. Is it really not usefull with the chlorine at all? Thanks.

I'm saying a properly done dichlor routine has you soaking in .5ppm or less of chlorine, there is no smell or irratation, there is no more chlorine in your water while you are soaking than there is in tap water. No fading of the suits anymore than washing them over and over and over (count how many times you soak) Yes I use chlorine and really like it, it's very very easy and very very effective. Your water not only looks clean but you know it is bacteria free because you use chlorine.

Sorry I have no opinion on biguanide. All my experience with it has it not keeping up with a heavy bather load and creating alot of foam and just plain gunky water. But the customers I have serviced that show these problems like it because its easy also.

Thanks I think we'll stay away from biguanide for now. What is dichlor? I'm confused with your statements on this "dichlor routine". Can you please clarify? Thanks.