Weird "floaty" Things In The Tub After Using Defoamer

roromissd

Hey, here's a question...

We've had foam start building even with being careful about getting soap in our tub. So, we bought some SeaKlear self-floccing defoamer, and a "scumbug". Right before we got in the tub this evening, I added the defoamer and threw in the scumbug. The water was crystal clear right before I did this and then we got in a couple of minutes later, and there were these little white floaty things. I'm pretty sure the scumbug didn't have anything that might come off. So, does the defoamer cause this?

After we got out, I added the MPS shock as usual and ran the clean cycle. When I shut the tub up, the water was clear again. But what is this stuff? Is it the defoamer combining with the residue to filter it out?

Anyway, it was weird.

The other thing is that our water is starting to smell what my husband is calling "stale". I'm not sure I'd call it that. What can we do about this, or do we need to just drain the tub? It's only been just about 7 weeks. Would a super chlorination treatment help with this?

Well, any input and suggestions would help.

Anne

We've had foam start building even with being careful about getting soap in our tub. So, we bought some SeaKlear self-floccing defoamer, and a "scumbug". Right before we got in the tub this evening, I added the defoamer and threw in the scumbug. The water was crystal clear right before I did this and then we got in a couple of minutes later, and there were these little white floaty things. I'm pretty sure the scumbug didn't have anything that might come off. So, does the defoamer cause this?

After we got out, I added the MPS shock as usual and ran the clean cycle. When I shut the tub up, the water was clear again. But what is this stuff? Is it the defoamer combining with the residue to filter it out?

Anyway, it was weird.

The other thing is that our water is starting to smell what my husband is calling "stale". I'm not sure I'd call it that. What can we do about this, or do we need to just drain the tub? It's only been just about 7 weeks. Would a super chlorination treatment help with this?

Anne

Have you shocked it during your 7 week honeymoon? If not I would say with the heavy use during the first weeks of your ownership you most definetly need to shock and it should be done after about every 5-10 soaks depending on how many folks and how dirty said folks are.

Those funny flakes are probably the coagulated soap residue and stuff and are in your filter and it needs to be rinsed. It should be rinsed every week.

Anyway, it was weird.

Anne

Have you shocked it during your 7 week honeymoon? If not I would say with the heavy use during the first weeks of your ownership you most definetly need to shock and it should be done after about every 5-10 soaks depending on how many folks and how dirty said folks are.

Those funny flakes are probably the coagulated soap residue and stuff and are in your filter and it needs to be rinsed. It should be rinsed every week.

Those flakes could be soap. If they look like you put instant potato flakes in your spa, it is most likely white alage. If that is the case super chlorination would help. It may take a while for all the groth to break free from the plumbing so you may see it for a while. Also clean your filter daily until it is all gone.

Anyway, it was weird.

Anne

Those flakes could be soap. If they look like you put instant potato flakes in your spa, it is most likely white alage. If that is the case super chlorination would help. It may take a while for all the groth to break free from the plumbing so you may see it for a while. Also clean your filter daily until it is all gone.

We "shock" once a week without fail with dichlor and we use MPS shock after every single use. We both shower before each use, but we've had friends get in a couple of times without showering so they may have had lotion or soap on them. But I accidentally dipped my towel in the tub several times as I was getting out and I'm sure that left soap in the tub. I just cleaned the filter a couple of days ago which I do every 2 weeks, more often than suggested in our manual.

I'd be surprised if that was white algae as it was not in the tub right before I dumped the defoamer in there. I know I need to clean the filter today as I'm sure there's a lot of residue in there.

Thanks!

Anne

Anyway, it was weird.

Anne

We "shock" once a week without fail with dichlor and we use MPS shock after every single use. We both shower before each use, but we've had friends get in a couple of times without showering so they may have had lotion or soap on them. But I accidentally dipped my towel in the tub several times as I was getting out and I'm sure that left soap in the tub. I just cleaned the filter a couple of days ago which I do every 2 weeks, more often than suggested in our manual.

I'd be surprised if that was white algae as it was not in the tub right before I dumped the defoamer in there. I know I need to clean the filter today as I'm sure there's a lot of residue in there.

Thanks!

Anne

Dichlor is not a shock. It is a sanitizer. Shock is an oxidizer.

Do you have an ozone system? why do you shock every day, and only add chlorine once a week. Are you also using anything else?

I am going to stick with the algae thing for now..

First, the white floaty things are from when you added the Sea Klear FLOCULANT. As the name suggests, it floccuates the residue in the spa, causing it to be clumped togeter so the filter can capture it and get it out. It is normal. Rinse your filters out really well after it has all been picked up.

2nd, Di-clor is a shock, it is also a sanitizer. A shock oxidizes wastes, Dy-chlor does do this. MPS is a shock or oxidizer only, it is not a sanitizer. You can shock your tub with either. Shocking is the act of bringing up the oxidation levels to super oxidize the wastes in the tub.

I am guessing you are using N2 also. If there is no N2 in the tub, it is very unsafe....no sanitizer untill you add dichlor. If you are using N2 and the low chlorine recipe, if you are using the tub a lot, you will need dichlor more frequently.

N2 is great for some people. Heavy use, use with swimsuits and guests are not a good combo with the low chlorine recipe. By the sounds I would also rinse the filters out weekly. The dull smell means you need to shock, You have quite a bit of risdual in the tub by the sounds of it. You may need to use dichlor more often, you should always have a .5 of chlorine risdual with N2, even with the low chlorine recipe.

First, the white floaty things are from when you added the Sea Klear FLOCULANT. As the name suggests, it floccuates the residue in the spa, causing it to be clumped togeter so the filter can capture it and get it out. It is normal. Rinse your filters out really well after it has all been picked up.

2nd, Di-clor is a shock, it is also a sanitizer. A shock oxidizes wastes, Dy-chlor does do this. MPS is a shock or oxidizer only, it is not a sanitizer. You can shock your tub with either. Shocking is the act of bringing up the oxidation levels to super oxidize the wastes in the tub.

I am guessing you are using N2 also. If there is no N2 in the tub, it is very unsafe....no sanitizer untill you add dichlor. If you are using N2 and the low chlorine recipe, if you are using the tub a lot, you will need dichlor more frequently.

N2 is great for some people. Heavy use, use with swimsuits and guests are not a good combo with the low chlorine recipe. By the sounds I would also rinse the filters out weekly. The dull smell means you need to shock, You have quite a bit of risdual in the tub by the sounds of it. You may need to use dichlor more often, you should always have a .5 of chlorine risdual with N2, even with the low chlorine recipe.

No, we don't use N2, I don't know what that is. We have a HS limelight tub with ozone and the silver ion cartridge in the filter. I have been going by the directions given to us from the dealer. They say to use MPS after each use and dichlor once a week when we test to make sure everything is at the right level. We've used the tub nightly and suitless, except for a couple of times when friends have gotten in with us. My friend uses one of my suits which is never washed, only rinsed. Somehow though we've had soap introduced into our tub.

I wondered if the "floc" meant that it binds together to filter out. So, that explains the floaty stuff. Today, I cleaned the filter and my husband skimmed what stuff was left in the weir out. I also added a shot of dichlor to see if we can kill that smell.

No, I do not think it was algae. There's no way it would have magically appeared within a matter of minutes.

So, I think we'll add dichlor twice a week and see how that goes.

Thanks for explaining how the defoamer works. It makes sense.

Anne

No, we don't use N2, I don't know what that is. We have a HS limelight tub with ozone and the silver ion cartridge in the filter. I have been going by the directions given to us from the dealer. They say to use MPS after each use and dichlor once a week when we test to make sure everything is at the right level. We've used the tub nightly and suitless, except for a couple of times when friends have gotten in with us. My friend uses one of my suits which is never washed, only rinsed. Somehow though we've had soap introduced into our tub.

I wondered if the "floc" meant that it binds together to filter out. So, that explains the floaty stuff. Today, I cleaned the filter and my husband skimmed what stuff was left in the weir out. I also added a shot of dichlor to see if we can kill that smell.

No, I do not think it was algae. There's no way it would have magically appeared within a matter of minutes.

So, I think we'll add dichlor twice a week and see how that goes.

Thanks for explaining how the defoamer works. It makes sense.

Anne

N2 and silver ion are the same thing. Well its sounds like you have your bases covered, ozone, chlorine, silver ion.

Anne, do the flakes look translucent kind of like white instant potato flakes in the water?