Distance To Spa From Your House Door?

Nitro

Well it's starting to get cold here in Chicago. (50's highs, 30's lows). We were in the tub the other night when it was 45. Surprising though it wasn't bad getting out. I got out, dried off, checked the water, added chlorine and covered it up. I was outside for about 10 mins total in just a towel and sandals. The key was there was no wind. However, we were out when it was in the mid 50's with a little wind, and I liked to froze closing it up.

Anyway, unfortunately my tub is a bit of distance from my door (~50 feet). I was just wondering what are your distances and how you handle the walk (run) to the house in the winter months.

I'm in Minnesnowta, so I know about the cold.

My spa is about 25-30 feet from the door. For most cold weather, I'm fine for long enough to dry off. Then I put on a robe and sandals to walk back to the house.

When it gets really cold, like 20 degrees or below, I just walk faster back to the house. Then, put on a coat and go out to add chlorine, and close the cover, etc.

I'm in New England and my tub is just a few feet from a back door off to the side of my lot. In addtion to the temperature, It's less snow to shovel too. ^_^

Our tub is about six feet from a daylight basement changing room in our house. The two room basement is inaccessible from inside the house as it is more of a utility space, but the first room in it was already drywalled and it was an easy conversion from a storage room.

Dave

I'm in Iowa, cold winters too! I put mine right next to my screen porch on my concrete patio. I can step in to the tub from the screen porch steps (little shoveling needed). I am wind-protected on two sides, but unfortunately not to the north and east.

I added two sided foil/bubble insulation and sealed it with aluminum tape top and bottom inside of my tub up against the shell/piping on the wind-exposed sides. What a difference in heat cycle run time that made! Maybe wrap yourself up in bubble wrap for the walk back in....ha!

When I get one it will be a 15 foot run. But I have used one where it is at least 25 feet. Get out, towel off and throw on a Jacket (big fluffy one with a hood) that zips up. My robe would not be as warm. Between buildings and location, wind has never been bad getting out when it is cold.. not sure if I would take time to dry if it was windy.. just wrap towel and run... :)

The one thing everyone advised me about when I first ordered my tub, was to have it as close to the door as possible. So mine is one step out of the patio door and into the water! And with some nights in the teens already, I am glad I listened. While getting in is the real chiller, after getting thoroughly warmed up in the tub, I find getting out no problem at all. In fact I usually stand outside for about a minute to cool off before going in. This may not happen when the mercury dips below zero, though.

A couple thinks to think about though:

1- While this may vary, depending on codes in your location, if you have your tub within 5 feet of a window or door, that glass is suppose to be tempered.

2- One thing I never hear mentioned, is the manner or direction you have your cover lifter positioned. While I have just a short step to get into my tub, I unfortunately have my cover lifting over the back of the tub. This forces the first person (usually me) to have to walk around the side of the tub to lift the cover, which negates the advantage for me of having the tub so close.

But, luckily, since I knew this may happen, and I wanted to have the option of rotating the cover lifter, instead of drilling holes in my tub to mount the lifter, I made some temporary mounts that mount the lifter to my deck. Glad I did now. Since then I have purchased the Covermate under tub mounts, that just slip under the tub. I plan on installing those next time I drain my tub, and have the cover open to the side, so I can just access the lifter arm right from the front of the tub. This should make for an easier and warmer entry on those frigid nights. Who would think those few extra feet would make such a difference, but they do!

3- I also found, that if you are wearing a suit and get out of the tub, it is much colder. It takes much longer to actually dry off, as the wet suit and water dripping off the suit really make it hard to stay warm. Another reason not to wear one! :rolleyes:

Thanks Randy

Well it's starting to get cold here in Chicago. (50's highs, 30's lows). We were in the tub the other night when it was 45. Surprising though it wasn't bad getting out. I got out, dried off, checked the water, added chlorine and covered it up. I was outside for about 10 mins total in just a towel and sandals. The key was there was no wind. However, we were out when it was in the mid 50's with a little wind, and I liked to froze closing it up.

Anyway, unfortunately my tub is a bit of distance from my door (~50 feet). I was just wondering what are your distances and how you handle the walk (run) to the house in the winter months.

We are about 4 paces from our patio door and another 5 from our side door.

In the winter or cold nights I open the spa then get ready to go in, when we have finished we go staight in and change. Then I go out fully dressed and warm to put the chlorine in.

Mine is ten feet out from the back door on a brick patio. Close proximity to the door was a priority in my hot tub *design*. I feared that if I put it too far away from the door, I'd be reluctant to use it if there was snow on the ground. As it turns out, *shoveling out* the hot tub is the first thing I clear after a snow storm.

I find that, after a soak, putting on a robe that has been hanging outside is horridly unpleasant (cold) so I don't bother and just dry off when I get back inside the house.

I'm in Iowa, cold winters too! I put mine right next to my screen porch on my concrete patio. I can step in to the tub from the screen porch steps (little shoveling needed). I am wind-protected on two sides, but unfortunately not to the north and east.

I added two sided foil/bubble insulation and sealed it with aluminum tape top and bottom inside of my tub up against the shell/piping on the wind-exposed sides. What a difference in heat cycle run time that made! Maybe wrap yourself up in bubble wrap for the walk back in....ha!

TA, what brand of tub do you have?

Well last night was the coldest we've been in the tub (32 deg). It wasn't bad at all getting out. Luckly there was no wind though. I had the water temp set at 99 deg. I got out, dried off and put on my robe.

However, I do agree with SmilinBare, my robe was pretty cold. Though it did warm up, but not until I got in the house. Next time I may just leave the robe inside, and use it while closing up the tub.

Our next night will be on Holloween night. We're having some friends over. Fortunately it's going to be a mild day/night (65/43).

• 1 month later...
8 feet from my back door.

I have a patio heater and it works great. It really doesn't matter how cold it is outside as long as there is no wind. We just stand under the heater, dry off, and put our robes on. The cold part has always been getting in, not out.

TA, what brand of tub do you have?

I have a QCA tub, the factory is in Iowa. I visited it, liked what I saw - especially the price. Local tub merchants told me not to buy this brand, called it very low end. Well, it has been fine. It had 2" of sprayed insulation on the inside of shell and another 2" inside the cabinet. But after adding the foil bubble wrap stuff between them, I saw an obvious reduction in heating cycles. I think it was because the numerous jet tubes now had insulation right against them. Cost me $30 to do.

Was 12F the other night when I was out tubbing...yer foot prints are frozen by the time you go back out to add the chlorine...almost killed myself slipping on the steps. Ahhh...but the tub was a nice 102F.