Remove The Pillows When Shocking?

hot_water

Hi All,

My spa owner's manual says to remove the pillows when adding shock treatment. I've been doing it for nearly two years now, but I'm getting lazy. Also, my pillows are mounted with plastic ball studs that seem to have a death grip -- no matter how careful I try to be, pulling them off is hard on the pillows...

So, the question is, do you good folks remove the pillows every time you shock, some of the time, or do you just blow it off, add the stuff and hope for the best? I found that replacement pillows are expensive enough to choke a horse.... BTW, I use bromine and shock with MPS.

Thanks for your comments!

hot_water

Hi All,

My spa owner's manual says to remove the pillows when adding shock treatment. I've been doing it for nearly two years now, but I'm getting lazy. Also, my pillows are mounted with plastic ball studs that seem to have a death grip -- no matter how careful I try to be, pulling them off is hard on the pillows...

So, the question is, do you good folks remove the pillows every time you shock, some of the time, or do you just blow it off, add the stuff and hope for the best? I found that replacement pillows are expensive enough to choke a horse.... BTW, I use bromine and shock with MPS.

Thanks for your comments!

hot_water

I never took mine off, I figured they needed a good shock also. It may extend there life by taking them off but it could be that 6-8 years when you take them off and 6-8 years and a couple months if you don't??

I think the ozone damages them more than the shock, unless you are way overshocking.

Many people take them out when the spa is not in use to try to help make them last longer, personal choice if it is worth it.

I think the ozone damages them more than the shock, unless you are way overshocking.

Many people take them out when the spa is not in use to try to help make them last longer, personal choice if it is worth it.

In the past pillows somtimes would fall apart from ozone and chems after a while but nowadays they're made from better materials and will mostly just fade. For me, life is short so I see instructions like that and know its for someone far more patient and far more fastidious than I. I'll leave mine alone and consider the fading to show character like the premature greying of my hair. ;)