How Much Did Your Power Bill Go Up With Spa

epco1

Was wondering how much everyones power bill went up (average) per month

I have the artic spa Tundra which is a large tub (2000+ Litres - 7 man) and I think so far I'm around $10- $20 a month but its honestly hard to tell as I have a lot of electronics. It is still fairly warm as well so in a couple of months when winter hits and the temperature dives to the -20 to -40 ranges I'll have a much better idea of how much I'm paying to keep it at 104. So far it is hardly noticable my bill is about the same as before.

Cheers

Calvin

I have the artic spa Tundra which is a large tub (2000+ Litres - 7 man) and I think so far I'm around $10- $20 a month but its honestly hard to tell as I have a lot of electronics. It is still fairly warm as well so in a couple of months when winter hits and the temperature dives to the -20 to -40 ranges I'll have a much better idea of how much I'm paying to keep it at 104. So far it is hardly noticable my bill is about the same as before.

Cheers

Calvin

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you have to keep it at 104 all the time? Like how feasible is to keep the tub at 100 (or even less like 95) and then turn it up an hour before you want to get in?

It does not save you money to turn it up and down like that unless you are hardly using the tub. If you are using it everyweek, keep it at the temp you like.

We average 30-35 dollars a month with our tub, lower in the summer and higher in the winter. We use the tub daily with at least 3 of the 5 pumps running, set at 104 in the winter. Get a quality tub and it won't cost that much to run.

Cheers

Calvin

Huum, thanks for the post. I have the same spa and live in the Ottawa area. Curious to see how much it will affect the hydro bills this winter. In which part of the world do you live in?

Arctic, Hot Springs, Dimension One, they will all be about the same to operate based on your usage, your rates and your outside ambients. The few pennys a day differnce between the top brands have you worried? Don't get a tub. 30 bucks a month is a pretty good number for 6-10 cents per KWH in a fairly moderate climate. Here in Northern Minnesota it can get as high as 50-60 bucks in the winter and as low as 10-20 in the summer. But summer power consumption can be even lower if you don't use the tub much and keep the temp down as low as it will go until you use it.

And anyone telling you theres is this much or that much to operate that hasn't had there tub metered is throwing out a wild guess and really has no idea.

I don't know how this happened, but my power consumption has dropped slightly since I got my hot tub.

Maybe my TV, Tivo, reciever uses more juice than my hot tub. So, I actually SAVE money and relax at the same time. Maybe the fact that I only have 1 pump has something to do with it too.

Whenever people discuss this, I always wish that each post would include

1. The annual mean temperature

2. The local cost of electricity

4. The geographic location.

Roger is fond of pointing out the flaws in it, but this remains the only third-party comparative study of hot tub efficiency available. Conducted by the Alberta Research Council. Thermal Performance Test of Spas

Roger is fond of pointing out the flaws in it, but this remains the only third-party comparative study of hot tub efficiency available. Conducted by the Alberta Research Council. Thermal Performance Test of Spas

LOL Tom, I have left your "independent study" alone. If anyone wants to truly pick the research apart they will find the same discrepencys as I have found. But the Arctic funded research shows the same thing I just stated. There are alot of variables and all the top makers run about the same to operate.

To answer the question in my case.

This varies between -20 and +20 degree's C (although in the extremes we have temperatures above 40 C and below -40C but those are usually only a week or two each year in each extreme)

http://www.worldweather.org/056/c00621.htm

Depends on your service provider it is usually between 7 and 12 cents ( Mine is a 5 yr fixed rate with Enmax at 7 cents p/kw)

3? Don't see a number # 3?

Edmonton, Alberta Canada as shown in the weather link above.

I'll have a much better idea of cost once the snow hits and we see some low temps. Also I always keep the tub at 104 if not higher (I turn on the pumps and keep the lid down to boost the temp over 104 if you must know...I'm tricky that way and the tub will go far higher then 104 using this tech)

Cheers

Calvin

Duluth Minnesota

Low High

Jan -19.0 -8.8

Feb -16.2 -5.7

Mar -9.1 0.5

Apr -1.7 9.0

May 4.2 16.6

Jun 9.2 21.7

Jul 12.8 25.1

Aug 11.8 23.3

Sep 6.9 17.7

Oct 1.7 11.3

Nov -5.8 1.8

Dec -15.1 -6.3

Alberta Canada

Jan -19.1 -8.0

Feb -16.3 -4.7

Mar -9.9 1.0

Apr -2.2 10.7

May 3.4 17.4

Jun 7.7 20.5

Jul 9.5 22.2

Aug 8.3 21.7

Sep 3.3 16.9

Oct -2.4 10.9

Nov -11.0 -0.4

Dec -16.7 -5.9

Looks pretty close to the same as we have here, down right balmy there in Jan and Feb though

Duluth Minnesota

Low High

Jan -19.0 -8.8

Feb -16.2 -5.7

Mar -9.1 0.5

Apr -1.7 9.0

May 4.2 16.6

Jun 9.2 21.7

Jul 12.8 25.1

Aug 11.8 23.3

Sep 6.9 17.7

Oct 1.7 11.3

Nov -5.8 1.8

Dec -15.1 -6.3

Alberta Canada

Jan -19.1 -8.0

Feb -16.3 -4.7

Mar -9.9 1.0

Apr -2.2 10.7

May 3.4 17.4

Jun 7.7 20.5

Jul 9.5 22.2

Aug 8.3 21.7

Sep 3.3 16.9

Oct -2.4 10.9

Nov -11.0 -0.4

Dec -16.7 -5.9

Looks pretty close to the same as we have here, down right balmy there in Jan and Feb though

Roger very true. Although if anyone asked me what the temperature range was in Dec, Jan and Feb I would have likely said around -30 or colder despite what that "website" is telling me ;) Hard for me to believe it is only around -20 as an average but maybe there is something to this global warming after all!

Cheers

Calvin

I am not so convinced of the unbiaseness of this report. If you look at the test parameters, not all conditions are equal. Specifically test times. Obviousley the longer a test is run the larger the amount of electricity required. Also no cover data was provided.

I am not so convinced of the unbiaseness of this report. If you look at the test parameters, not all conditions are equal. Specifically test times. Obviousley the longer a test is run the larger the amount of electricity required. Also no cover data was provided.

You forgot to add "just to mention a couple items".......LOL

Sorry Tom couldn't resist. I'm not questioning the use to the consumer of the test. Just the results and how they are spun by Arctic .

LOL. Roger will love that, especially the covers part. :P It's my job to defend the report, embarrassing arithmetic errors and all. :ph34r:

Read the whole thing, please. You'll note that

1. the final results ARE adjusted for time (kw/h) so what you are looking at in the tables on p. 8 is energy used per hour of operation.

2. the results are also adjusted for volume, so that larger spas are fairly compared with smaller spas and what is measured is energy required to heat a cubic meter of water per hour

3. all the spas were bought "off the shelf" by the testing agency. They came as equipped by the dealer. It's not our fault that Arctic comes with a better cover. Sheesh.

Now, please sip your kool-aide and put study away before you find the other embarrassing parts. Roger, hush now.

:P :P