Adding Insulation But Afraid Motor Would Get To Hot

Peter Smit

Our Hot tub has very poor insulation.

I am thinking of adding full insulation on all the cabinet doors using polystyrene and reflective bubblue foil.

Because the motor(s) might get to hot (how hot is to hot? 125degrees?) when the Hot Tub is fully used an heat sensored extractor would be best, but to difficult and expensive for me.

As an alternative I thought about an: Heat-Activated Window (cabinet door) Opener

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?...amp;cat=2,43224

like the ones used in greenhouses.

I would hinge the cabinet door next to the motor and add the opener.

Does anybody has any experience with this? or comments?

Our Hot tub has very poor insulation.

I am thinking of adding full insulation on all the cabinet doors using polystyrene and reflective bubblue foil.

Because the motor(s) might get to hot (how hot is to hot? 125degrees?) when the Hot Tub is fully used an heat sensored extractor would be best, but to difficult and expensive for me.

As an alternative I thought about an: Heat-Activated Window (cabinet door) Opener

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?...amp;cat=2,43224

like the ones used in greenhouses.

I would hinge the cabinet door next to the motor and add the opener.

Does anybody has any experience with this? or comments?

I have used them for a greenhouse vent. We lost the first one when a gust of wind flipped the vent open and bent the lifter. I added a restraining chain so the vent couldn't open too far. We lost that when a gust of wind ripped out the hinges, destroyed the vent (but thanks to the chain, it didn't blow away!), and bent the lifter. I nailed a cover over the vent hole and went with a heat-activated fan, far more expensive, but windproof. <_<

Sounds like it might be worth a try. Those lifters do have a limited load capacity (1 lb??) - investigate and see if it will lift the weight of your insulated door.

Update I contacted the seller and their details are wrong, it will not work above 50degrees celcius :angry:

So does anybody have a (simple) plan B?

The Grainger catolog is full of small fans, thermostats, gravity dampers and ducting that will all cool a cabinet quit nicely when the temp around the motor reaches the maximum allowable by your particular motor manufacturer, probably around 120 but running it at 100 or below will extend it's life.