Filtration: Sundance Vs. Hot Springs

It looks like its going to be either a Hot Springs Vista for me, or a Sundance (Cameo or Maxxus). I wanted to post a separate thread about filtration.

The Sundance dealers knock the Hot Springs way of filtration. They don't like the idea of having to clean the Hot Springs filters every few weeks (when the Hot Springs dealer says you clean them every few months).

The Hot Springs guy said you put all five filters into the dishwasher, run a clean cycle with no soap, and put back in. The Sundance dealer says this is not the most efficient way of filtration. Sundance dealer also says their filters are better as they filter down to smaller microns than the Hot Springs.

Is there a difference between the two?

The Sundance dealer (along with a lot of other dealers) say the Hot Springs shell is incredibly thin, and can cause an issue. Is this a case?

Also in an unrelated question, do you think there will be a difference in electicity usage between a Vista and a Maxxus?

Thanks in advance.

A smaller micron filter does a better job.

However, in this application (spas) , I think this is really an oversold area. Nothing much is going to get through either setup.

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Buy the spa you like better.

What about the issue with cleaning the Hot Springs filters? Are there any HS owners here that can chime in as to how often they need to hose down their filters? The HS dealer says once every few months. The Sundance dealer says its more like once every week or two. :rolleyes:

If it's every few months, I don't mind too much. Can I get away with doing it once every time I do a water change or is that too long?

A smaller micron filter does a better job.

However, in this application (spas) , I think this is really an oversold area. Nothing much is going to get through either setup.

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Buy the spa you like better.

What about the issue with cleaning the Hot Springs filters? Are there any HS owners here that can chime in as to how often they need to hose down their filters? The HS dealer says once every few months. The Sundance dealer says its more like once every week or two. :rolleyes:

If it's every few months, I don't mind too much. Can I get away with doing it once every time I do a water change or is that too long?

Regardless of the spa and filtration system we are not going to be able to tell you how much you need to rinse your filters, just like we can't tell you how often you need to change your water. Every user is different based on alot of factors. How often do you plan on using the tub? Are you going to shower before use? Are you going to invite alot of company over? And a bunch more questions but I bet you get the idea. I used to rinse my filters every other week regardless.

The Sundance dealer (along with a lot of other dealers) say the Hot Springs shell is incredibly thin, and can cause an issue. Is this a case?

I am not sure about your other questions but I would say that the hotsprings shell is quite thin and they use the foam to support it, without the foam it would not be very strong. This is one of the things we found out whilst spa hunting.

I am not sure about your other questions but I would say that the hotsprings shell is quite thin and they use the foam to support it, without the foam it would not be very strong. This is one of the things we found out whilst spa hunting.

But...the longevity of either shell will be longer than the tub. And I think they both warranty them for the same lenght of time. Yes you can throw the filters in the dishwasher. But you can do that with any filter. I like to soak them overnight in filter cleaner first and then throw them in the dishwasher. But this works for any filter, not just HS

Yes you can throw the filters in the dishwasher. But you can do that with any filter. I like to soak them overnight in filter cleaner first and then throw them in the dishwasher. But this works for any filter, not just HS

I have heard people say this, but I have found it is not true. The Tri-X filter is tough enough to run through the dishwasher (without any 'jet dry' or similar product mind you) but even HS regular filters do not last very long if you put them in the dishwasher.

B)

Yes you can throw the filters in the dishwasher. But you can do that with any filter. I like to soak them overnight in filter cleaner first and then throw them in the dishwasher. But this works for any filter, not just HS

I have heard people say this, but I have found it is not true. The Tri-X filter is tough enough to run through the dishwasher (without any 'jet dry' or similar product mind you) but even HS regular filters do not last very long if you put them in the dishwasher.

B)

Both spas are very high end. They both filter well, have excellent shells and are full foam which will aid with support. Either one will serve you well. Get the spa that feels best to you.

B)

Worked fine for me on and off for 10-15 years of tub ownership.

The Sundance dealers knock the Hot Springs way of filtration. They don't like the idea of having to clean the Hot Springs filters every few weeks (when the Hot Springs dealer says you clean them every few months).

The Hot Springs guy said you put all five filters into the dishwasher, run a clean cycle with no soap, and put back in. The Sundance dealer says this is not the most efficient way of filtration. Sundance dealer also says their filters are better as they filter down to smaller microns than the Hot Springs.

Ask the Sundance dealer this:

If the Sundance has less filters and they filter out smaller particles, why would you not have to clean it as much or more than the HotSpring? Wouldn't it by nature trap more stuff and need to be cleaned more often?

Ask the Sundance dealer this:

If the Sundance has less filters and they filter out smaller particles, why would you not have to clean it as much or more than the HotSpring? Wouldn't it by nature trap more stuff and need to be cleaned more often?

The Sundance dealer said that their filters don't get cleaned... you just replace them every six months or so. I believe that is what he said since the Sundance ones are disposable.

He said the HS filters need to be washed every two weeks.

Regardless I think I am leaning towards the Vista anyways. I am a little concerned with Electrical usage on the Maxxus since its such a huge tub.

I am trying to find out how much KWH the Vista uses on average per month. But nobody here seems to have posted this info. My KWH rate is 17cents per KWH so electric is an issue.

I am trying to find out how much KWH the Vista uses on average per month. But nobody here seems to have posted this info. My KWH rate is 17cents per KWH so electric is an issue.

Somewhere between 75 and 250 KWH per month depending on your climate and use. 15 to 40 bucks

Somewhere between 75 and 250 KWH per month depending on your climate and use. 15 to 40 bucks

Wow... that's pretty reasonable. There were people on here claiming they were using 500-750 KWH for a Maxxus (during the winter months in a New England colder climate), which is the reason why I am concerned about getting the Maxxus.