Buying House With Negotiable Hot Tub

kdf313s

I bought a house (first one). The seller is moving 40 miles away. He is taking his hot tub with if we don't buy it. He is offering to sell me the hot tub for $2000 and we can work out payments if I'd like to. It is a 2007 Caldera Martinique spa. It is already hooked up, shell is great, no leaks and still has various manufacturers warranties left on it. I am at work currently and cannot access any other pages to see if this is a good deal or not. Any thoughts or opinions would help. Thanks!

Btw, if you do let him take it, remember, don't let him take the GFI disconnect and all that stuff. That's yours.

Gonna cost him a pretty penny to move it and rewire it, so that's why you are getting such a good deal.

I think I'd take it though. Nice way to start off in a new house.

Seems a very fair deal for a one year old tub. Think they go for around $6k new from searching around.

Don't think the warranty transfers, but even so, it'll be better than looking at a spa size hole.

The warranty is not transferrable. Having said that I agree that with it being about $6k new (possibly more with taxes) and getting it without having to provide the labor to move it (or pay to do so) or have to pay for electrical, etc. and assuming its working well (now is the time for him to address anything with the dealer if all is not in order) I think its definitely worth it for a newer tub like that.

Seems a very fair deal for a one year old tub. Think they go for around $6k new from searching around.

Don't think the warranty transfers, but even so, it'll be better than looking at a spa size hole.

He said that he bought it for $6800 at the end of 2006 when the 2007 models were just coming out. So it is closer to 2 years old if that makes a difference. I was more or less debating if the tub was worth $2000 or not and it appears that other tub user agree that it is.

He said that he bought it for $6800 at the end of 2006 when the 2007 models were just coming out. So it is closer to 2 years old if that makes a difference. I was more or less debating if the tub was worth $2000 or not and it appears that other tub user agree that it is.

Can someone comment on why the warranty is not transferrable? People frequently buy one and then later move, leaving it behind. Some of the warranties are 5-10 years. It seems that, by making then non-transferrable, the manufacturers are looking for an out. (Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious).

Can someone comment on why the warranty is not transferrable? People frequently buy one and then later move, leaving it behind. Some of the warranties are 5-10 years. It seems that, by making then non-transferrable, the manufacturers are looking for an out. (Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious).

The above quote from drb9 was my thought too. The spa is not being moved and it is at the same address that it was delivered to. If you are buying a well made spa why will the dealers not warranty it if it has not been moved?

1. Many warranties specifically state they are not transferable (this would be the reason they are not transferable).

2. Yes, manufacturers are looking for an "out".

3. Dealers don't warrant the spas

You might add to the agreement that for the $2000 the previous owner will call the dealer, and handle any warranty work.

Our definitions of "frequently" must differ. IMO it is not often that a spa is sold within the first 5 years which is typically about how long the electronics, pumps, plumbing, etc. are covered in a premium spa (the shell is covered longer). Warranties cost $$, they are not free but rather it is included in the cost so having it transferrable raises prices too. It sounds like a great thing to have but I don't think it gets utilized enough to matter other than to the very small % who would use it.

Yeah, even Marquis (which was one of the few, if not the only to have transferable warranties) dropped transferability in 2008. They extended their warranty on a few items, but dropped the transfer program. For some reason, I'm thinking there may be one company left that allow their warranty to transfer, as long as the spa isn't moved.

On a side note, when I was looking at used spas on Craigslist, a few sellers told me that as long as I lived nearby, their dealer said they would do any repairs under the warranty of the original owner, and just not tell the manufacturer the tub was sold. Of course, when I asked for the dealer's name and contact info, the response would never come.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you are getting a good deal, considering the electric and all that good stuff is already done. (Electric alone can run up to a grand)

I would take the tub. If you don't want to use it right away, just have a dealer come in and winterize it.