Plumbing

Rigid always before flex....flex is prone to pulling out of fittings and the actual pipe can be damaged easier...99.9% of the time you can plumb something rigid...I use flex sparingly and only when I abosolutely need it....

forum junkies...don't try to get in a pissing match with me on this one...I'll show you some serious repair invoices due to flexpipe use

forum junkies...don't try to get in a pissing match with me on this one...I'll show you some serious repair invoices due to flexpipe use

...and I could show you 5X as many invoices with the opposite results. Especially in the Northeast where the ground shifts.

I've never had flex-pipe pull out of a fitting after thousands of applications...never mind the significant amount of extra-glue joints needed with rigid pipe.

I completely agree with Paragon. I've encountered many skimmer lines that have needed replacement and over half have used flex. I have seen the stuff collapse on itself, kink, and pull out of fittings. Always use rigid unless absolutely neccessary!

hah ok dude you win im not gonna get into it with you..ill go to my car racing forum where I can actually get in a decent debate...

that being said any properly plumbed rigid pipe should accomodate ground "shifting"...flex pipe is for novices and aboveground crap....go sell some spa chemicals

I have seen the stuff collapse on itself, kink, and pull out of fittings. Always use rigid unless absolutely neccessary!

Use the right glue and tell the customer to run the pool with the valves 'open' instead of closed and you'll never have any trouble.

If flex is so bad how come 90% or more of the people that come into my store with dug up broken pipe pieces have rigid pipe? It's just my opinion based on 20 years in the business, not like I'm a flex-pipe slalesman or anything. Just find it easier to work with and completely reliable based on my experiences.

Pipes1.jpg

you see that one...one piece of flex pulled out of the infloor water valve, after working fine for years....the valves were not an issue...there was only one valve on the system and it was a check valve...

that repair set the homeowner back about $1,500.00...

all because of the one flex line used on that infloor system...because the builder, who I know...has a lack of skilled employees who would rather work with flex then their brains...

that being said...I'll agree with you that when you run flex without many glue joints..aka point a to b, you'll probably be fine...but in most cases I cannot trust it after seeing situations like this and a few others....

Pipes1.jpg

you see that one...one piece of flex pulled out of the infloor water valve, after working fine for years....the valves were not an issue...there was only one valve on the system and it was a check valve...

that repair set the homeowner back about $1,500.00...

all because of the one flex line used on that infloor system...because the builder, who I know...has a lack of skilled employees who would rather work with flex then their brains...

that being said...I'll agree with you that when you run flex without many glue joints..aka point a to b, you'll probably be fine...but in most cases I cannot trust it after seeing situations like this and a few others....

I guess I don't understand these 'pullout' problems more than anything. I repair thousands upon thousands of hot tubs...all which primarily use flex and have miles of it at that...and I can honestly say I've never encountered a piece of flex pulled out of a fitting over time. I have had some spring small leaks at the glue joint, but these were cases of certain serial number runs where the wrong glue was being used, or chemicals that eventually caused it to leak, but they have not 'pulled out'.

I have nothing against rigid pipe, I've just never come across the problems that you guys are seeing with it. So being that it is easier to use, I have no reason to not use it.

When you first glue the joint (with flex or rigid) depending on the temp I've seen pipe slide back out again, you just need to re-glue and hold it for a couple of seconds until the glue bonds. Maybe some of these may be cases were the technician glued the joint and walked away without holding it for a couple seconds.

true...any indiscretion by the tech., etc. concerning flex or rigid for that matter can result in those problems

plumbing hot tubs is a different story though...you've gotta use flex on those...it would probably be impossible to replumb one with rigid...

Not that 'listening' to the other pool dudes debate rigid vs. flex wasn't a hoot, my opinion is that either will do the job if properly glued (in most cases). We have 1 pool that has the flex line run where the pipe yearly pulls out of one of the below ground fittings EVERY year (all our plumbing is run flex from the pool to the pad - coming into the pad we 90 and go to rigid across the pad) the problem with this pool is that the pad is situated in the wettest part of the yard and the freeze- thaw cycle raises and lowers the entire equipment pad :huh: -- just bad placement and lack of forethought on my boss' part! That 1 exception aside, the only other problem we have with the flex pipe is that termites will eat through it :o, this problem is more widespread! As a last comment on this, flex pipe exposed to UV and the elements will quickly take on a 'diseased' look - the pipe is still fine, but looks nasty.

Thanks for the 'Ha-Ha's'

I am by no means a spa or pool expert, I do not have a pool but I do have a spa & the flex pipe is leaking at several of the glue joints. I have replaced them with a small piece of rigid PVC & then connected back to the flex with a coupler. My personal oppinion is that the manufacturer didn't apply enough glue at the joints!!! sundance spa by the way. As far as the flex actually coming apart, I have not seen that.

When I built my pool I used both. Both have plusses and minuses.

Flex

Pros

- can be handy to use on the bottom drain (if you do one)

- More flexible (pardon the play on words) in some areas where you have a number of bends

Cons

- Costs a good bit more $

- Looks sloppy when used around the pump and filter. I actually plumbed my pump, filter, heater (except for sch. 80 coming out of heater) and it looked sloppy. I ripped it all out and replumbed using rigid.

Rigid

Pros

- less expensive

- sturdier over time

Cons

- less flexible for areas where you have bends.

- Potential for head loss due to too many 45s and 90s.

I think the debate about glue is really anecdotal - a lot of it is how good of a job you do cleaning and priming and seating the initial install.

OK I said I like both for different purposes...EVERYONE can pile on me and burn me as a heretic! At least its something everybody can agree on.