What's A Fair Price?

Jan

Hi All,

What would be a fair price for the LSX 1050 STS from Master Spa or a comparable model from another manufacturer?

Thanks!

I don't know pricing but on the second half of your question I would suggest you at least compare that spa with some others that I think have much better reputations in the industry. Not all spa makers sell tubs that size but a few on the list below will have spas around the size you're looking for. I know Artesian has a new one about that size and some of the others should have one close. Also, I would not get a TV in my spa. Too many headaches with them.

http://www.arcticspas.com

http://artesianspas.com/main/dealer_locator.asp

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html

http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/dealer-locator/

http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp

http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php

Thanks for your suggestions, Spatech!

So, accross the board, what should one expect to pay for a high end spa? What would be considered reasonable and fair?

A good quality spa should be around 8 grand. But depending on the extras, could go even higher. And of course this is also very area specific. On the other hand a master Spa will sell for about the same or more and you will get less. This of course is simply my opinion.

So, accross the board, what should one expect to pay for a high end spa? What would be considered reasonable and fair?

It all depends on what the spa has in it..more pumps=more money, more jets=more money, better warranty=more money, area, what freight costs the dealer, what are you getting for service, etc.ect. BALLPARK...high ends of rough size of the Master spa...$10,000 and up. The more in it the more "up" the price. If you look back through the threads many people have put what they have paid for different tubs. This may help you.

I will add to the list

www.clearwaterspas.com

A good quality spa should be around 8 grand. But depending on the extras, could go even higher. And of course this is also very area specific. On the other hand a master Spa will sell for about the same or more and you will get less. This of course is simply my opinion.

... and one of those extras is size (and everything that comes with it: more jets, more plumbing, more pumps/hp, more acrylic, higher shipping costs, etc.). He's looking for a very large and deep spa so he's certainly looking at more than $8k if he's looking for a premium quality spa.

Thanks to all who have responded!

These are the prices we've recieved so far (we're in the Chicago area - North Suburbs):

D1 Sarena Bay (includes stereo option) - $15,800.00

L.A. Spa Paradise H2 (loaded - except for TV option) - $13,339.00

Master Spa LSX 1050 STS - $17,375.00 (from one dealer)

$13,000.00 (from another dealer)

(What a price difference, huh?!)

Sundance Maxxus (Floor Model) - $10,350.00

We've been able to wet test at the D1 dealer (Amore Bay - they didn't have a Serena Bay on the floor) and the L.A. Spa dealer (again, a different model with some of the same seats, jets, etc. as they didn't have their Paradise H2 filled.)

My husband prefered the D1 jets but I preferred the neck jets and foot jets on the LA Spa. Haven't wet tested the Maxxus or the Master Spa yet. Will hopefully get to those sometime this week. Husband is set on a large spa - he considers the 8 x 8 sizes too cramped for his liking.

This will be our first spa so any thoughts, oppinoins and ideas are welcome!!

Jan, these are only my thoughts, and I wet tested a lot. I'm glad to see you're wet testing too.

In my opinion (and it's been formed after reading the comments of hundreds of people on this and other forums, and by wet testing), D1 and Sundance would be the best quality and reliability of your list. The D1 price you quoted seems a bit high to me, but you're Maxxus price looks about right. If it's last year's model, you might be able to wiggle them down a tad more. LA Spa, I don't know much about, but I did read some so-so reviews. At that price point you listed, I wouldn't go there at that price. Master Spa -- I'm not going to bash, because I have no first-hand experience. I will tell you that they probably get the most negative posts of any manufacturer on these forums -- although a lot of it is over their marketing and sales approaches (as it appears you've already experienced, with a $4300 swing between two dealers). And at that price point, I -- as a consumer -- wouldn't want to put up with that. IF you look at Chicagoland Craigslist, there's a Master dealer that constantly posts his spas and will put something like "$12,000 spa -- clearance now for $6800" -- except that clearance sale goes on all year!

For what it's worth.

These are the prices we've recieved so far (we're in the Chicago area - North Suburbs):

We've been able to wet test at the D1 dealer (Amore Bay - they didn't have a Serena Bay on the floor) and the L.A. Spa dealer (again, a different model with some of the same seats, jets, etc. as they didn't have their Paradise H2 filled.)

My husband prefered the D1 jets but I preferred the neck jets and foot jets on the LA Spa. Haven't wet tested the Maxxus or the Master Spa yet. Will hopefully get to those sometime this week. Husband is set on a large spa - he considers the 8 x 8 sizes too cramped for his liking.

Jan, I bought a Maxxus in Oct 2007 for $11,000 without TV or stereo. Price included cover, steps, tax, delivery, etc. Got a quote around the same time last year for a Master Spa LSX 1050 STS fully loaded for $13,000. In my opinion, the Maxxus is about the same as the LSX 1050 for less money. Maxxus capacity is 580 gallons which is only slightly less than LSX 1050 595 gallons. The plus side for LSX 1050 is 5 jet seats whereas the Maxxus only has 4 thanks to the lounger seat (which I love).

Anyway, let me know if I can provide any more details.

This is certainly not the politically correct thing to say and something I try and refrain from normally. But Master spas are simply over priced and lack the dedication to service, fit and finish, energy efficiency that most of what many consider to be high end spa makers offer. They only compete in one one area and that is price. Take off the cabinet of one of thier spas and see how fast you walk away from thinking of dropping anywhere close to 10k for one. I am not trying to stir up any controversy here but sometimes when you read about what people spent and what they got you just feel like if they only knew. Buy a Marquis, HS, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Arctic, D-1 even a Coleman ,Pacific spas seems to be getting great reviews but Master spas need to be priced for what they are really worth and that is at the low end of the spa market.

Thanks for all of the input so far, I really appreciate it!

For the ones we've wet tested so far - I think the D1 seems high at $15,800.00 even though the quality in workmanship is obviously there. I didn't personally care much for their neck/shoulder jets - just didn't seem to hit the right places no matter how I moved or played around with them. I felt the L.A. Spa's neck/shoulder jets were much better - they have two that hit from the top of the shoulders down which I like - D1 didn't have that. Also, the foot jets on the D1 only had one large spray of water vs the the multi-spray head of the L.A. Spa which on high power gave an incredible, say ahhhh, foot massage!

Now, as luck would have it, my husband didn't like the L.A. Spa and preferred the D1! I've come to realize that beyond looks and craftmanship, what one expects from a spa is very subjective given that it's such an individual personal sensory experience. So, splish splash, we're off to wet test a couple more!

Re: the Master Spa - We're very much aware of Master Spas reputation in regard to their marketing and sales approach. My thoughts are if they really feel they have a high quality product and take pride in what they manufacture and sell, why risk that with shoddy business practices? I just don't get it. On the other hand, in trying to be objective, shouldn't that be more dependent on each individual dealer and how they choose to conduct business? In either case, if one takes away the controversy of their marketing and sales approach, do they still have a decent product? We have thestallion's oppinoin - Does anyone else have an informed oppinion on this issue they'd like to share with us?

(What make this difficult is that my husband seems to be stuck on a "large" tub which seems to narrow our choices.)

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Re: the Master Spa - We're very much aware of Master Spas reputation in regard to their marketing and sales approach. My thoughts are if they really feel they have a high quality product and take pride in what they manufacture and sell, why risk that with shoddy business practices? I just don't get it. On the other hand, in trying to be objective, shouldn't that be more dependent on each individual dealer and how they choose to conduct business? In either case, if one takes away the controversy of their marketing and sales approach, do they still have a decent product? We have thestallion's oppinoin - Does anyone else have an informed oppinion on this issue they'd like to share with us?

I'm with Stallion. You can set aside Master's Marketing/Sales approach and ignore that but there are still far better spa options out there IMO. Of the 4 you're looking at I personally think D1 and Sundance stand out as the better options. If you're looking for other options there are certainly some addional premium spa makers out there:

http://artesianspas.com/main/dealer_locator.asp

http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html

http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html

http://www.arcticspas.com

http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php

http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/

http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp

http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp

For the ones we've wet tested so far - I think the D1 seems high at $15,800.00 even though the quality in workmanship is obviously there. I didn't personally care much for their neck/shoulder jets - just didn't seem to hit the right places no matter how I moved or played around with them. I felt the L.A. Spa's neck/shoulder jets were much better - they have two that hit from the top of the shoulders down which I like - D1 didn't have that. Also, the foot jets on the D1 only had one large spray of water vs the the multi-spray head of the L.A. Spa which on high power gave an incredible, say ahhhh, foot massage!

Now, as luck would have it, my husband didn't like the L.A. Spa and preferred the D1! I've come to realize that beyond looks and craftmanship, what one expects from a spa is very subjective given that it's such an individual personal sensory experience. So, splish splash, we're off to wet test a couple more!

(What make this difficult is that my husband seems to be stuck on a "large" tub which seems to narrow our choices.)

When we were deciding on a spa we tried lots of different makes and models, and the final choice was between LA and D1. We found both of these spas offered the best hydropherapy.

We decided on the LA Spa heet in the end, the Paradise looks huge we did not wet test that one, though the seats look similar to our smaller model. We have had our spa nearly a year now and we are very happy with it.

Good luck with your wet testing and I am sure which ever one you choose you wont be dissapointed.

I cannot really comment on the cost of a spa because in England we pay a lot more than in America.

When we were deciding on a spa we tried lots of different makes and models, and the final choice was between LA and D1. We found both of these spas offered the best hydropherapy.

We decided on the LA Spa heet in the end, the Paradise looks huge we did not wet test that one, though the seats look similar to our smaller model. We have had our spa nearly a year now and we are very happy with it.

Good luck with your wet testing and I am sure which ever one you choose you wont be dissapointed.

I cannot really comment on the cost of a spa because in England we pay a lot more than in America.

I'm so sick of hearing about Master Spas "lack of integrity" with their advertising. "Master Pool and Spa" is a dealer in Minnesota that has got a reputation for deceptive advertising. Unfortunatly, dealers across the country that use "MasterSpas" as their dealership name, or part thereof, have given the manufacturer a bad rep. Master Spas, Inc. in Ft Wayne, Indiana is the manufacturer. I challenge anyone to find anything about Master Spas, Inc. advertising in an immoral manner.

Congrats to Master Spas, Inc. for again being SpaSearch Certified for 2008! If you think that this isn't a quality product, you are just being biased. For the second year in a row, SpaSearch has also given Master Spas, Inc. the top manufacturer in customer satisfaction. SpaSearch interviews real customers that bought spas, and Master Spas has more happy customers than all the rest of your so-called "quality spas." More happy customers than Hot Spring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, you name it!

They say imitation is the truest form of flattery. Even the mighty Watkins Manufacturing has begun to copy Master Spas, or at least attempted to. On one hand, you have the Hot Spring Spa...wood frame, fully foamed, 100% filtration, etc. They are the BEST, right? Unless you like the new LimeLight Spa by Watkins...steel frame, LED lights, ABS plastic pan, not fully foamed, with suction intakes in the footwell! You have been selling AGAINST these features for years! "Those spas are junk," with the preverbial "in my opinion" attached to the end. "That spa will cost you $100 a month to operate!" Just like you sold against stereos...until Watkins started doing them! I am waiting for the day when I see a flatscreen popping out of the Grandee!

Getting back to "immoral" advertising tactics, this one takes the cake. The Watkins' "Energy Guarantee" is the biggest load of BS in the industry! Anybody that is considering a purchase of a Watkins product should demand a power meter be thrown in on the deal. Watkins would lose their @$$ if their customers followed up on this empty promise.

Sorry about the rant, but this advertising subject gets me fired up! If you don't know all the facts, you shouldn't pretend like you do.

I'm so sick of hearing about Master Spas "lack of integrity" with their advertising. "Master Pool and Spa" is a dealer in Minnesota that has got a reputation for deceptive advertising. Unfortunatly, dealers across the country that use "MasterSpas" as their dealership name, or part thereof, have given the manufacturer a bad rep. Master Spas, Inc. in Ft Wayne, Indiana is the manufacturer. I challenge anyone to find anything about Master Spas, Inc. advertising in an immoral manner.

Congrats to Master Spas, Inc. for again being SpaSearch Certified for 2008! If you think that this isn't a quality product, you are just being biased. For the second year in a row, SpaSearch has also given Master Spas, Inc. the top manufacturer in customer satisfaction. SpaSearch interviews real customers that bought spas, and Master Spas has more happy customers than all the rest of your so-called "quality spas." More happy customers than Hot Spring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, you name it!

They say imitation is the truest form of flattery. Even the mighty Watkins Manufacturing has begun to copy Master Spas, or at least attempted to. On one hand, you have the Hot Spring Spa...wood frame, fully foamed, 100% filtration, etc. They are the BEST, right? Unless you like the new LimeLight Spa by Watkins...steel frame, LED lights, ABS plastic pan, not fully foamed, with suction intakes in the footwell! You have been selling AGAINST these features for years! "Those spas are junk," with the preverbial "in my opinion" attached to the end. "That spa will cost you $100 a month to operate!" Just like you sold against stereos...until Watkins started doing them! I am waiting for the day when I see a flatscreen popping out of the Grandee!

Getting back to "immoral" advertising tactics, this one takes the cake. The Watkins' "Energy Guarantee" is the biggest load of BS in the industry! Anybody that is considering a purchase of a Watkins product should demand a power meter be thrown in on the deal. Watkins would lose their @$$ if their customers followed up on this empty promise.

Sorry about the rant, but this advertising subject gets me fired up! If you don't know all the facts, you shouldn't pretend like you do.

Masters reputation is earned based on thier actions and their history so live with it. To try and say that a positive spa search rating which its true merits are highly debatable to begin with somehow excuses Master from all of thier checked past is like saying Hitler really was not that bad a guy since he was good to his dog. Do we need to get into Textron and how well that is going? And if your so sick about Master and thier advertising than simply have them quit with the bogus shows that take place each week across the country.

I've looked at and repaired plenty of Master Spas and really don't see them as a high end well manufacturered spa. More of a middle of the road flash type spa, slightly better than the big box type.. Sorry.

We are all allowed our opinions. Take em or leave em.

Who's talking about some dealer in Minnesota? You know that the lack of integrity moniker comes largely from the corporate sponsored traveling circus spa shows where they outright lie to customers about being a multiple manufacturer show and when people show up they find it’s a ruse to get them there. If you don't like dealing with the Master reputation you could start selling something that doesn't come with the all the baggage.

With all of the debate over Master spas' reputation, I'll throw in my experience with them. We're a spa dealer in Montana - coming up on 30 years. At least 3 times in the last 6 years, Master Spas has come up from Salt Lake City (2 states away) and set up at local Home Shows.

Their business cards and literature they had made had the following information:

Master Spas of Montana

Local address (which was a Mailboxes Etc./UPS Store mailbox)

Local Phone # (which forwarded to their Salt Lake store)

All of it is B.S.

Here's the problem - if the trade magazines (i.e. Aqua, Pool/Spa News, Spa Retailer, etc) are putting out stories about how the Spa Industry has such a pitiful reputation (as in Jacuzzi's survey on why people don't buy), why don't they "out" the offenders? Any story about how Master has been cut-off by Textron because of the dealers' lack of integrity/performance???

Just something to think over.

With all of the debate over Master spas' reputation, I'll throw in my experience with them. We're a spa dealer in Montana - coming up on 30 years. At least 3 times in the last 6 years, Master Spas has come up from Salt Lake City (2 states away) and set up at local Home Shows.

Their business cards and literature they had made had the following information:

Master Spas of Montana

Local address (which was a Mailboxes Etc./UPS Store mailbox)

Local Phone # (which forwarded to their Salt Lake store)

All of it is B.S.

Here's the problem - if the trade magazines (i.e. Aqua, Pool/Spa News, Spa Retailer, etc) are putting out stories about how the Spa Industry has such a pitiful reputation (as in Jacuzzi's survey on why people don't buy), why don't they "out" the offenders? Any story about how Master has been cut-off by Textron because of the dealers' lack of integrity/performance???

Just something to think over.

Whether corporate was behind this may be something that some may try to debate but Picasso paints an all too familiar Masterpiece picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jan!

Your´e wining about the price difference? :lol:;)

Here is what we payed in Sweden in January 2008 (imported through special channels)

D1 Sarena Bay (stereo and LCD option excluded) - Approx $30,000.00 :lol:

Standard price at the Swedish dealer Folkpool AB for this model is approx $37,500.00 :o

(Someone is making money here...)

We are waiting for delivery and installation on our new terrace next week. :P