Are These Bubbles Really Ozone?

soakme

I have bubbles that only come out of a particular jet during my filter cycle... but I also have to have one of my air valves open slightly to get them... is ther a way to tell if there is ozone present?

Some ozonators have a light that comes on when they are working, ie: during the filter cycle. Ozone has a very distinct smell or you can purchase test strips that tell how much if any ozone you ozonator is producing.

I have bubbles that only come out of a particular jet during my filter cycle... but I also have to have one of my air valves open slightly to get them... is ther a way to tell if there is ozone present?

Some ozonators have a light that comes on when they are working, ie: during the filter cycle. Ozone has a very distinct smell or you can purchase test strips that tell how much if any ozone you ozonator is producing.

This sort of question was asked before, but no one could find an ozone tester that was inexpensive or sensitive enough. Do you know of a specific test strip that will work? When some people asked some manufacturers, they said only the expensive equipment was sensitive enough. It would be really great if there was an inexpensive test that was reliable as the issue of whether an ozonator is really working comes up a lot -- we had one confirmed case where the behavior of the spa was as if the ozonator wasn't working (i.e. wasn't oxidizing organics or ammonia/urea) and it turned out that the unit was in fact broken.

This sort of question was asked before, but no one could find an ozone tester that was inexpensive or sensitive enough. Do you know of a specific test strip that will work? When some people asked some manufacturers, they said only the expensive equipment was sensitive enough. It would be really great if there was an inexpensive test that was reliable as the issue of whether an ozonator is really working comes up a lot -- we had one confirmed case where the behavior of the spa was as if the ozonator wasn't working (i.e. wasn't oxidizing organics or ammonia/urea) and it turned out that the unit was in fact broken.

When we went to the Atlantic City show we talked to these guys www.poolcheckonline.com and they offer an ozone test strip. I dont know how to put links in hear but if you go to their site, go to products and go to pool check pro you will find it. You may have to call to find where a local dealer is or maybe you can purchase direct, not sure. it goes from .05 to .5 ppm. i am not sure of the cost. Check out his test meter too. It works differently than the ones that read a strip, adds the reagents from the strip to the water making travel with it easier, but I am not sure how accurate they have been, have not heard from anyone.

Thanks a million! This link goes directly to the ozone test strips. I would guess that it would be best to take the sample of water close to a return (the one closest to the ozonator) since the ozone doesn't last very long in the bulk water. Their phone number on their home page is 1-800-861-9712 if anyone wants to try it.

Thanks a million! This link goes directly to the ozone test strips. I would guess that it would be best to take the sample of water close to a return (the one closest to the ozonator)...

The site also has a multi-tester called Exact 9 that tests for ozone. Looks suitable for the professional user but easy enough for the layman.

Thanks a million! This link goes directly to the ozone test strips. I would guess that it would be best to take the sample of water close to a return (the one closest to the ozonator) since the ozone doesn't last very long in the bulk water. Their phone number on their home page is 1-800-861-9712 if anyone wants to try it.

Their site talks about looking through an aperature to read the strip. Here is another site http://www.bigbrandwater.com/481234.html that also sells an ozone test strip you read through an aperature. Does anyone know the chemistry behind these strips? I found one Hach test for ozone that stated that chlorine and bromine interferes (it's DPD based) so it wouldn't help us.

[ I found one Hach test for ozone that stated that chlorine and bromine interferes (it's DPD based) so it wouldn't help us.

The interference from chlorine is quite easy to remove by using thiosulfate whent tesing with DPD for ozone.

There are basically two accepted ways to test for ozone colormetically, either DPD or the indigo methd. The DPD test is basically the same as a total chlorine or total bromine test using DPD 1 and DPD 3 (postassium iodide). Ozone (or any other ozidizer such as MPS or chloriamines or bromamines) react with the potasium iodide to release iodine. This in turn reacts with the DPD to produce the red 'wurster dye' that we compare against our color comparator to get the concentration of the oxizider we are testing for.

The indigo method is the standard method of determining residual ozone in water and works by using indigo trisulfonate as an indicator. This dark blue colored dye is bleached by the ozone in direct proportion to the amount of ozone present. Chlorine and bromine can cause interference with this test also unless substances such as malonic acid are included to help prevent the interference.

I suspect that the chemistry behind the strips and the meter cited above is a variation on the indigo testing method since that is considered the standard procedure for residual ozone testing.

Most spa manufacturers run the ozone jet 'wild' without any manual valves attached to it. This means that you should not have to turn any dials or controls.

Otherwise, if you forget to open the valve, you would have no ozone output.

Remember that, even with ozone, you must use a residual sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, alternative sanitizers) to keep your water clean and healthy.

If your ozone generator is old, have it checked to insure that it is still producing ozone. (The light may be on but the generating portion may be past its useful life.)

Most spa manufacturers run the ozone jet 'wild' without any manual valves attached to it. This means that you should not have to turn any dials or controls.

Otherwise, if you forget to open the valve, you would have no ozone output.

Remember that, even with ozone, you must use a residual sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, alternative sanitizers) to keep your water clean and healthy.

If your ozone generator is old, have it checked to insure that it is still producing ozone. (The light may be on but the generating portion may be past its useful life.)

I'm sure you are just getting air bubbles and not ozone... You shouldn't need to turn an air valve on for the ozonator to work. The easiest thing to do is trace the ozone pipe to back to the jet and see if it's even hooked up to the one you are monitoring even if you have to chop away at the foam...