Down To Three - Bring It On!

ncspa

Alright, I'm down to three spas, will probably purchase next week:

1. 2008 Marquis Mirage

2. 2007 (floor model) Tiger River (hot springs) Bengal

3. 2007 (floor model) Down East (master spa) Exeter

All are within a few hundered bucks of each other. The Marquis does not have a 24-hour circulation pump (other two do). The Down East is not full foam (other two are). The Down East has three pumps (2 jets, 1 circulation), the Tiger River has 2 pumps (1 jets, 1 circ.), the Marquis has 1 pump.

So, here's the deal. Feature-wise, I like the Exeter best - most jets, most jets in the right places, etc. In fact, I'd just go buy it if not for all the damned Master haters on this board! Seriously - it's causing me concern. People seem to worship the Marquis, so now I'm looking at that. Don't hear as much about the Tiger River, but mostly seems positive. I will say that both the Tiger River and the Marquis have a better warranty. Dealership wise - like them all, so it's a wash. I guess my biggest concern about the Down East is potential energy costs. Seems like the other two are very energy efficient.

So, I guess I'm opening a can of worms here(!), but lay it on me. Should I pay attention to the handful of people that don't seem to like the Mater line? Is Marquis all that everyone seems to think it is? Is the Tiger River really that good? If I like the features better on the Down East, should I go for it, or should I assume the quality of the others is better?

I appreciate the candid opinions I've seen here. Sincere responses will be a big help and much appreciated! Thanks to all of you......

1. 2008 Marquis Mirage

All are within a few hundered bucks of each other. The Marquis does not have a 24-hour circulation pump (other two do). The Down East is not full foam (other two are). The Down East has three pumps (2 jets, 1 circulation), the Tiger River has 2 pumps (1 jets, 1 circ.), the Marquis has 1 pump.

So, here's the deal. Feature-wise, I like the Exeter best - most jets, most jets in the right places, etc. In fact, I'd just go buy it if not for all the damned Master haters on this board! Seriously - it's causing me concern. People seem to worship the Marquis, so now I'm looking at that. Don't hear as much about the Tiger River, but mostly seems positive. I will say that both the Tiger River and the Marquis have a better warranty. Dealership wise - like them all, so it's a wash. I guess my biggest concern about the Down East is potential energy costs. Seems like the other two are very energy efficient.

So, I guess I'm opening a can of worms here(!), but lay it on me. Should I pay attention to the handful of people that don't seem to like the Mater line? Is Marquis all that everyone seems to think it is? Is the Tiger River really that good? If I like the features better on the Down East, should I go for it, or should I assume the quality of the others is better?

I appreciate the candid opinions I've seen here. Sincere responses will be a big help and much appreciated! Thanks to all of you......

I don't think the Master Spa haters are haters at all. They just know that it is what it is, a flashy energy hog. A fine middle of the road product that cost alot to operate. On the other hand both Marquis and TR have reputations for not being as flashy but both have a long proven record of longevity, comfort and reliability backed by a strong manufacturer and dealer network.

1. 2008 Marquis Mirage

I don't think the Master Spa haters are haters at all. They just know that it is what it is, a flashy energy hog. A fine middle of the road product that cost alot to operate. On the other hand both Marquis and TR have reputations for not being as flashy but both have a long proven record of longevity, comfort and reliability backed by a strong manufacturer and dealer network.

We are not haters, just messengers. It's your choice but I would go with what's behind curtain number 1 or curtain number 2 if manufacturer's reputation for reliability and energy consumption matter. What's behind curtain number 3 may look enticing but it’s for impulse buyers IMO.

You need to do what's best for you and your family. If you prefer the master spa, then buy it. Just realize that master spa owners seem to have the most complaints about their energy consumption. You are lucky that you've seen posts relating to that and can factor them in when making your decision. My husband and I considered a master spa, and at that point, I saw nothing on the forum about their high energy use. Now that I see them, I say "phew" that we didn't purchase that spa. That might not be something that matters to you, so you can just file the energy consumption in the FYI folder. If it factors into your budget and you aren't a "green" type person, go for it! Marquis and Hot springs both have many satisfied customers. I have a brother, coworker and friend that are all satisfied hot springs owners. They particulary like the moto-massage. Marquis seems to be very popular with people that want an intense, theraputic soak. Try making a list of what you really want out of a spa, then list the pros and cons of all the spas you are looking at. Whichever one has the most pros and matches with your needs is the one to buy. Good Luck.

Bengel if its definatly one of those three. But I would offer same price for new model if you dislike color of one currently on floor, the tub probably cost them the same (I am not sure if TR has hit them with price increase yet) so maybe they want to move floor model faster but usually if you ask for new one you can get it. TR>Marquis>Master

Well I would definately go with the TR. We have a HS Vanguard and maybe I like their products because they represent good quality but above all your electric bill will not shock you. Mine didn't go up hardly at all and we have had our spa just under a year. I love this forum because it educates people and steers them away from making mistakes. I hope you get the best spa for you but wet test and take energy consumption into consideration or you will be sorry.

JA

Thanks for all of the replies - would like more if others are willing to weigh in.

One update - We've now decided against the Down East, and rather than the Mirage by Marquis we've decided to spend a little more and go with the Reward - many more jets, bigger, etc.

The way I see it, tradeoffs are as follows:

TR has 24-hr circulation, and air flow control (rather than just diverter).

Marquis has many more jets, but has no 24-hour circ, and requires the floating frog system (this is a 2007 model and doesn't include the inline).

Other opinions? (particularly from people who own a TR or a Marquis). Thanks again to everyone. Will be wet testing both on Saturday, but would still like to gather input.

You don't need anymore advice, because the wet test is going to make up your mind. They are both good brands, so it's the one you enjoy the most. As far as not having the inline system, I wouldn't see that as a negative. You can choose whatever sanitation system you want, you don't have to use the floating frog system. I'm partial to having 4 corners open for seating, instead of putting the filter there. Enjoy your wet tests. Take your time and relax in the spas.

I have a Down East Exeter and we love it. It has cost me about a $1 a day to power it this winter. Personally I'd rather have a tub that can heat and have jets and bubbles all at the same time. The circ pump runs 24/7 and it's a constant low hum, but not annoying, just obviously using constant of electric. However it's by design and you make your choice. We got the additional jet pump so we have two foot jets, so the $30 a month this winter is about max (for us) and likely a max ballpark for this model with all options (I am hoping. [haha]) ..and of course this is NOT a scientific power analysis in the least, so chalk it up to "worst case scenario" or "Internet anecdotal story"

So I have a circ pump (no button) and Jet1 jet 2 and jet3 buttons. If you only have one foot jet you have one less pump and one less button. The dual foot jets are sweet and I don't think you can even stand any seat in the thing for longer than 60 seconds if you adjusted all the jets to max and flipped on the air vents. It seemed to be one of the most powerful spas we looked at. Each nozzle is highly adjustable so it's easy to make it just how the individual likes their level of hydrotherapy... and the Mrs agrees that all of the jets are properly located. What? That was actually a consideration that un-chose some other models... jet location.

The over the shoulder jets are pretty cool, and the ergonomics or the tub seems ideal as we like to play like musical chairs and move around the spa during heavy jet hydrotherapy sessions... very comfortable, but also provides lots of curved spots for stretching as you slide around. The extra electricity required is all put to use in powerful massage and constant temperature... it's always on exactly what you set it on. I recently had to refill and it heated from 40 degrees to 100 in a several hours. While Down East is Master Spas mid-grade spa it has never struck me as cut quality. The one thing was the reduced level of insulation, and the frame is made from hardwood plywood with steel beam main supports in the corners (Master Spas are all steel frame)... all things I could live with for the affordability and features ..and price

I have a Down East Exeter and we love it. It has cost me about a $1 a day to power it this winter. Personally I'd rather have a tub that can heat and have jets and bubbles all at the same time. The circ pump runs 24/7 and it's a constant low hum, but not annoying, just obviously using constant of electric. However it's by design and you make your choice. We got the additional jet pump so we have two foot jets, so the $30 a month this winter is about max (for us) and likely a max ballpark for this model with all options (I am hoping. [haha]) ..and of course this is NOT a scientific power analysis in the least, so chalk it up to "worst case scenario" or "Internet anecdotal story"

So I have a circ pump (no button) and Jet1 jet 2 and jet3 buttons. If you only have one foot jet you have one less pump and one less button. The dual foot jets are sweet and I don't think you can even stand any seat in the thing for longer than 60 seconds if you adjusted all the jets to max and flipped on the air vents. It seemed to be one of the most powerful spas we looked at. Each nozzle is highly adjustable so it's easy to make it just how the individual likes their level of hydrotherapy... and the Mrs agrees that all of the jets are properly located. What? That was actually a consideration that un-chose some other models... jet location.

The over the shoulder jets are pretty cool, and the ergonomics or the tub seems ideal as we like to play like musical chairs and move around the spa during heavy jet hydrotherapy sessions... very comfortable, but also provides lots of curved spots for stretching as you slide around. The extra electricity required is all put to use in powerful massage and constant temperature... it's always on exactly what you set it on. I recently had to refill and it heated from 40 degrees to 100 in a several hours. While Down East is Master Spas mid-grade spa it has never struck me as cut quality. The one thing was the reduced level of insulation, and the frame is made from hardwood plywood with steel beam main supports in the corners (Master Spas are all steel frame)... all things I could live with for the affordability and features ..and price

<cough> sales pitch <cough> come on, just because the Legecy is Masters new cheap end doesnt make Down East a mid end because Master is not a high end, its a lower end of a spa with alot of flash and not enough engineering or insulation.

<cough> sales pitch <cough> come on, just because the Legecy is Masters new cheap end doesnt make Down East a mid end because Master is not a high end, its a lower end of a spa with alot of flash and not enough engineering or insulation.

Well I'll keep it simple, because I'm nowhere near being in the pool and spa industry and never have been. We looked at alot of spas but they were all tub-side-up so I never had had the opportunity to get a peek inside every brand of spa. All I saw was the part I currently interact with... shell, water, jets, and that's all I really care about ....now hhaha until something breaks. We'll see how that goes.

Me pitching for Master Spa? [chuckling] For all I have said about Master Spa on this forum... if I worked for MS I would fire myself and that's after re-enacting a scene from Fight Club in the parking garage. The only thing good about Master Spas as far as I'm concerned is my spa. I have received good service and my dealer has to travel, so service has also been very good... I mean I have never had to pay anything or call repeatedly. I really made the decision on design and the way it was powered... but then my car uses 93 octane and goes 0-60 in under 5 seconds... so I spend more on gas in 3 days than I spend on electricity in the worst month in my spa. If I wanna go from 99 degrees to 104 I can (and do) just bump it up whilst I'm in. And while it takes longer than 5 seconds I certainly don't have to shut off jets or bubbles so it'll heat in Winter. Maybe next time I do that, I'll clock it.

While it may not qualify as a high end spa, it does not in any way *seem* (performance-wise) to have a weak/budget heater or pumps or filtration. I'm no spa technician so I have no knowledge of pump/heater models or lifecycle expectancy. Maybe down the road I'll discover the weaker points of design or manufacture... I'm just not seeing them now, at all, not in the very least. IMHO it's the perfect spa for us... it was chosen by me over other models/brands ...and they didn't exactly give it away. We like it as much now as we did then... what? All joy, no remorse ...hahaha except for the Carney Sales Event B) but hey that's shootin' fish in a barrel and callin' it huntin'. :huh:

Well I'll keep it simple, because I'm nowhere near being in the pool and spa industry and never have been. We looked at alot of spas but they were all tub-side-up so I never had had the opportunity to get a peek inside every brand of spa. All I saw was the part I currently interact with... shell, water, jets, and that's all I really care about ....now hhaha until something breaks. We'll see how that goes.

Me pitching for Master Spa? [chuckling] For all I have said about Master Spa on this forum... if I worked for MS I would fire myself and that's after re-enacting a scene from Fight Club in the parking garage. The only thing good about Master Spas as far as I'm concerned is my spa. I have received good service and my dealer has to travel, so service has also been very good... I mean I have never had to pay anything or call repeatedly. I really made the decision on design and the way it was powered... but then my car uses 93 octane and goes 0-60 in under 5 seconds... so I spend more on gas in 3 days than I spend on electricity in the worst month in my spa. If I wanna go from 99 degrees to 104 I can (and do) just bump it up whilst I'm in. And while it takes longer than 5 seconds I certainly don't have to shut off jets or bubbles so it'll heat in Winter. Maybe next time I do that, I'll clock it.

While it may not qualify as a high end spa, it does not in any way *seem* (performance-wise) to have a weak/budget heater or pumps or filtration. I'm no spa technician so I have no knowledge of pump/heater models or lifecycle expectancy. Maybe down the road I'll discover the weaker points of design or manufacture... I'm just not seeing them now, at all, not in the very least. IMHO it's the perfect spa for us... it was chosen by me over other models/brands ...and they didn't exactly give it away. We like it as much now as we did then... what? All joy, no remorse ...hahaha except for the Carney Sales Event B) but hey that's shootin' fish in a barrel and callin' it huntin'. :huh:

Thanks for all of the replies everyone - very helpful info. I'm going to wet test the TR and the Marquis today. Really still torn between the two and hoping that this will make things obvious for me. Looking forward to being done looking!