What About Buying Private Seller Used?

pedro x 2

Am a first time buyer looking at smaller units (2-4 person). Cost is a little prohibitive so am looking at used spas from private sellers (craigslist, recycler, etc.). Love the "bang for your buck" factor and desire as much quality as possible rather than be someone's hauling service. Is this more like buying a washing machine than a car? Are there basics to look for and/or steer away from?

For example, a Sundance Tango, 15 years old, needs "control panel", has "new pump/motor, heater and cover".

Tried to find "control panel" parts for Sundance Tango and didn't find a neat fit. How might I assess whether this is a good deal or not before knocking on their door?

Thanks in advance.

Am a first time buyer looking at smaller units (2-4 person). Cost is a little prohibitive so am looking at used spas from private sellers (craigslist, recycler, etc.). Love the "bang for your buck" factor and desire as much quality as possible rather than be someone's hauling service. Is this more like buying a washing machine than a car? Are there basics to look for and/or steer away from?

For example, a Sundance Tango, 15 years old, needs "control panel", has "new pump/motor, heater and cover".

Tried to find "control panel" parts for Sundance Tango and didn't find a neat fit. How might I assess whether this is a good deal or not before knocking on their door?

Thanks in advance.

At 15 years that tub has reached it's life expectancy and IMO is no longer cost effective to repair. On the other hand if it is full and not leaking, and you can retrofit a control for a couple hundred bucks. If its free or close to it???????

Thank you for the quick input. It's helpful. It's about sticking that proverbial (and literal) toe in the water. ... will the thing even get used ... it's a chunk of change to "sample" with ... surely others (if not all) have walked this path initially. Said example ad (Tango @ 15 yrs) is priced @ $500 obo. "Very good condition" and is said to run, but not heat due to the controller panel. The photo looks good with the decent wood and cover. Sounds like I should make sure it's not leaking and then there's this control panel thing and retrofitting. Is that something you go to a spa shop for?

Thank you for the quick input. It's helpful. It's about sticking that proverbial (and literal) toe in the water. ... will the thing even get used ... it's a chunk of change to "sample" with ... surely others (if not all) have walked this path initially. Said example ad (Tango @ 15 yrs) is priced @ $500 obo. "Very good condition" and is said to run, but not heat due to the controller panel. The photo looks good with the decent wood and cover. Sounds like I should make sure it's not leaking and then there's this control panel thing and retrofitting. Is that something you go to a spa shop for?

Pedro,

Quality spas last 15 years but at that age they have little resale value because you just don't know if it'll go much further though quality ones last into their 20's often.

You can find good used spas out there (BTW, ignore Soakerman's rantings). There are many good used spas out there with many worth much more than $500. Some people price them to get their real value and others just want to move them and you can get really good deals where you're paying far less than their true worth.

I would advise you to do 3 things,

1) Start looking at Craigslist. It is a great source.

2) NEVER buy a spa that you can't see operational regardless of some story that it was working great last week before they drained/moved it.

3) Be patient and wait for the right deal. It'll be out there. (After searching for a few days I got an almost new dryer from Craigslist last month for $75 from someone who just wanted it removed from the new house he moved to.)

Pedro,

Spatech is right on -- on a few things. First, Soakerman has a bigger agenda than everyone else on this site combined. The reality is, there are a LOT of great used spa deals for well more than $1,000. And a used, high-quality spa will -- more than likely -- give you greater quality and longevity than the discount low-end spas he preaches about. You'll notice (if you search his posts) that he always mentions 1 or 2 brands. The rest of us will tell you who we all concede to be the top 8 or 10 manufacturers of tubs. I am not a spa rep, but I've done a lot of research -- here and elsewhere.

A general rule of thumb I hear often (that might help you) is that a 1-2 year old high end tub will be worth 50-60% of its current new price value. So, if you're looking at a $9000 brand new Hot Spring, for example, you should pay no more than $4500-$5500 for one that's a year or so old. I also hear that from 3-5 years, they'll sell for approximately 40%. Be careful, though, on Craigslist. Some sellers will claim their tubs retail for more than they really do. There's a 1 year-old Jacuzzi 3 series for sale in Chicago on Craigslist. The owner keeps reposting it, claiming that they retail at a local Jacuzzi dealer for $10,600 -- which is an outright lie. I've called him out on it, but he keeps reposting it. You need to know the new value before you can negotiate a used price.

If you are going to be buying used, I'd only caution you to stick to the top brands (HS, D1, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Marquis, Caldera, Artesian and a few others). You'll see a lot of the discount spas for sale used. A lot more than you'll see the top makes. Makes you wonder why, doesn't it?

Of all the things you can buy to add resale value to your home, a hottub returns the least %$... like zero. #1 people are skeptical as to it's cleanliness #2 spa are scary... too much unknown and the warranty evaporates. People selling their home are often unhappy to find their spa adds little to no $ value and usually don't want to pay moving costs to get it to their new home. I have a friend who got an incredible deal on a slate pool table in someone's basement on moving day because it costs $1,000 just to move... same for spas I would think.

Have your cash ready and mine your resources (Craigs List?) You may also want to call some Realtors and leave them your contact information. Realize you have the advantage... it's a buyers market with used spas... and "Cash is King" on moving day! Can you rent one of the spa type dollys at the tool rental place (long wagon looking thing with a handle at each end?)

I will add another thing; when looking on Craigslist for hot tubs Only Beachcomber and Marquis

have transferable warranties. All other tubs sold on there will not have any warranty unless its a dealer posting on the site.

I see "Warranty Included" all to often on there

I will add another thing; when looking on Craigslist for hot tubs Only Beachcomber and Marquis

have transferable warranties. All other tubs sold on there will not have any warranty unless its a dealer posting on the site.

I see "Warranty Included" all to often on there

[chuckle] Great Advice! ...reading between the lines it seems you may be competing with dealers who are looking to buy used spas at a great price. Even a busted spa for next to nothing (free haul away) would be good for parts. So you better be "Johnny-on-the-spot" Mr.CraigslistMan you might have a little competition. You might even ask a local dealer(s) if they ever have used/refurb spas. Do you guys do that? I know that sometimes selling used can muddy the water that indeed your new spas (or whatever!) are NEW.

• 2 weeks later...