Just Added Chemicals

JRom

I just went in and had my water tested from a fresh fill.

I had the Ph down to almost normal level and had already added the metal remover before testing (last night).

All was OK, Water balanced with the only exception was the my ph was slightly high..so had to add 1 ounce of Ph down.

This is the first time for me using Chlorine, so I added what they told me 1 once of Chlorine and 2 1/2 ouces of shock.

I ran the tub for 30 minutes with the cover opened and now its cloudy and had some yellow stuff in the foam.

I dont think this is normal.....any ideas ??

John

Totally Bizzare !

I added another dose of Chlorine and shock, covered it and went out for the day.

Came back and the water was almost clear, just a scum line around the edges that I wiped off but other than

that it looks 90% better....Go figure !

OK so I am replying to my own posts...but its making me feel better !

John

Apparently you needed more sanitizer to kill whatever was growing in there! Are you testing for free chlorine?

Yes I am, I have the test strips.....cant say I am a big fan of them but its getting me in the ballpark.

I would like a get a real test kit , probably will look into that.

Well this morning it looks great, just a slight waterline scum that wiped off easily.

Everything on the strip was Within range so it looks good

I am going to switch out my filters to a new / clean set and try it out tonight.

Hopefully its all better !!!

Must have had some funk in the lines from the Baquacil

Oh anyone using the Natures 2 cartriges ???

How are they, worth it or not ?

John

OK tested the water this morning it looks GREAT.

Only thing that showed up was the Stablizer was low.

So this is the CYA Right ? and this would be the shock/ renew ??

John

Totally Bizzare !

I added another dose of Chlorine and shock, covered it and went out for the day.

Came back and the water was almost clear, just a scum line around the edges that I wiped off but other than

that it looks 90% better....Go figure !

OK so I am replying to my own posts...but its making me feel better !

John

FYI, You probably had some baqua residue left in the plumbing or filter and the chlorine oxidized it, normal occurance and it should not happen again.

Don't worry about the stabilizer...it is only important in pools and not hot tubs.

I disagree. Without any stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid, CYA), you will be overdosing with chlorine. Your swimsuits will fade faster, the elasticity will deteriorate faster, spa covers will degrade faster, your skin will dry out or flake faster, your hair will be more frayed, etc. On the other hand, with too much stabilizer, the chlorine will be less effective at killing pathogens. You want some CYA in the water but not too much. If you use Dichlor as your source of chlorine for about a week, then that should get you to around 20 ppm CYA or so and then you can switch to bleach which has no CYA. Looking only at the Free Chlorine (FC) level does not tell you how much true disinfecting chlorine there is and it is the disinfecting chlorine (hypochlorous acid) that is what kills pathogens, bleaches swimsuits, etc.

The standard line in the industry that stabilizer (CYA) is only needed to protect chlorine from sunlight is to sell more Trichlor and Dichlor product. The level of CYA in the water does matter and does much more than just protect chlorine from the UV rays of sunlight -- it binds with chlorine to make relatively ineffective compounds leaving a relatively small amount of active chlorine available. This is known chemistry back to at least 1973 (see this link for technical details about this).

Richard

• 1 month later...

Coming up on 2 Trouble free months with using Chlorine....... Thank's to Everyone here !

I started off using the Dichlor , just like ChemGeek suggested and shortly switched over to Bleach.

Been adding bleach after exiting the tub every night and using the Renew once a week.

I have been adding some Dichlor, but only once say within a 2 week period at night.

Going on 2 months now with the cleanest tub I have ever had, its squeaky clean.....No smells

and no irritations.

I just hope switching my pool in the spring goes so well !

Thanks ChemGeek for all of you help !

John