First "real" Electric Bill

Bookedup

Thanks for the clear information. My additional KWhr usage for December was 555 but the average temperature in the San Francisco Bay area is much warmer than 27 degrees, probably more like 50 degrees. Also, my brother-in-laws D1 tub in the same city as mine only used 270 KWhr more in December than before he got the hot tub. The service man read my amps and the tub is pulling normally so I wonder if it is the insulation. One question, although I have the temperature set for 102 degrees, it heats to that and then immediately (within a half hour) drops down to 101 where it stays until it drops below there before it heats up. Does your temperature read what you set it at or usually a degree below?

Sometimes there is more than a degree variance if you put in a seperate floating thermometor you may find there are 2-3 degrees difference.

Thanks for bringing up a lot of good points Chas. I couldnt have said it any better.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for bringing up a lot of good points Chas. I couldnt have said it any better.

No charge.

B)

I'd go $100 monthly for my hot tub

* Monthly electricity use: 550 KWHr in Nov, 757 KWHr in Dec

* Monthly electricity cost: $53 in Nov, $73 in Dec

So let me ask the big question here.... If a "premium" spa at twice the price uses the same electricity to run as a spa half the price, why would you buy it? MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Perhaps the salesman that sold this spa said no worries, you will heat that spa for 20 dollars a month but failed to say thats only if you leave the cover on and never use the jets otherwise it will be $73.00 a month to run SIR! :ph34r:

and even Arctic (the most successful thermopane spa, which is like saying the winner of the special olympics)...

Again a completely false statement that is uncalled for.

I took it as a joke, offered in the form of satire, and a funny one at that.

Thank you for clarifying that Arctic is not really "thermopane"; I think people largely realize that, but still lump us with TP for convenience. Our ultimate goal, of course, is to have it recognized that there are three types of insulation method: full foam, thermopane, and Arctic-style perimeter insulation. B)

There is still another called the DAIT system, which is superior to all the rest.

I'd go $100 monthly for my hot tub

* Monthly electricity use: 550 KWHr in Nov, 757 KWHr in Dec

* Monthly electricity cost: $53 in Nov, $73 in Dec

So let me ask the big question here.... If a "premium" spa at twice the price uses the same electricity to run as a spa half the price, why would you buy it? MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Perhaps the salesman that sold this spa said no worries, you will heat that spa for 20 dollars a month but failed to say thats only if you leave the cover on and never use the jets otherwise it will be $73.00 a month to run SIR! :ph34r:

Soaker STOP the lies the Premium spas DO NOT COST twice as much perhaps certain models may. And please I hope even you can understand that a Mercedes C class is half the price as the S class but both are built to the same standards but the S is the larger model with more standard feature more performance, etc Please surly you can understand this.

Soaker STOP the lies the Premium spas DO NOT COST twice as much perhaps certain models may. And please I hope even you can understand that a Mercedes C class is half the price as the S class but both are built to the same standards but the S is the larger model with more standard feature more performance, etc Please surly you can understand this.

Stallion, we all have to remember -- in Soaker's world, a 3 person Hydrospa with no ozonator, 10 jets and no insulation is EXACTLY the same as a 4 Series Jacuzzi or 8 Series Sundance with ozonator, stereo, TV, and every other bell & whistle imaginable. Just humor him. :unsure:

Stallion, we all have to remember -- in Soaker's world, a 3 person Hydrospa with no ozonator, 10 jets and no insulation is EXACTLY the same as a 4 Series Jacuzzi or 8 Series Sundance with ozonator, stereo, TV, and every other bell & whistle imaginable. Just humor him. :unsure:

I got all that minus the tv for 4k so its obvious you dont know what your comparing to :blink:

Yoy should look at the Costco website and see what features your getting. I know you are going to pay ten grand and thats cool! Have you got your spa yet? you know what a Sundance spa will run in terms of energy usage now :lol:

I got all that minus the tv for 4k so its obvious you dont know what your comparing to :blink:

Yoy should look at the Costco website and see what features your getting. I know you are going to pay ten grand and thats cool! Have you got your spa yet? you know what a Sundance spa will run in terms of energy usage now :lol:

Soaker you want a Marquis spa with 40 plus jets or a Jacuzzi with 40 plus jets, 2 pumps, ozone, led lights, full foam that is energy efficient and not something that you have to run to home Depot to buy insulation to stuff in the cabinet after the first electric bill arrives, that is delivered NOT to the street in front of your home but to the backyard and set up with lifter and chemicals, steps and 24 hour service not a phone call, hope and a prayer. You want that for under 6 grand call me. In the mean time stop spreading the foul stench of your lies about dealers being twice the price as Costco. Dealers can offer spas for about the same price but with 10 times the service and ease of ownership.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yup... Unless you put a kW meter on the spa and record how many kW it uses over a period of time, all you're doing is guessing at how much power it's actually using. A difference in power consumption between this year and last year only indicates, well, a difference in power consumption for your entire house.

There are many things besides a spa that can increase your power consumption..... Some other appliance that's malfunctioning (like the extra fridge in the garage), a new TV that has a high power stand-by mode, a new computer that's left on all the time, a well pump with a leak, colder ambient temperature (the average temp is a poor indication of expected power use), or any other of probably 100+ things.

It's easy to blame the spa, but all the things I've mentioned above have been discovered to be the real power hogs over the years, and eventually reported on various message boards.

While this may be true, in my case, I haven't added anything but the spa in the last year... and the power consumption for every month over the last year is almost exactly the same: 750 kwh/ month. Doesn't go down in the summer, or up in the winter, it's pretty steady (I don't use A/C or electric heat, or even a drier for that matter, so there's not much to change season to season, except perhaps lighting, and I use CF's in all my fixtures)... so I'm pretty darn sure the increase to 1790 kwh is entirely the hot tub.

So, can I just add some foam panel insulation to it?

Thanks,

Tony

How can this be? I thought this post was from the real Vermonter. There should be a law against using this username. :rolleyes:

And you have absolutly no idea what your spa cost to operate. You are in South Florida and it probably cost you 60-100 bucks a month to operate that cheap box store spa. Yet this guy in the north has a way bigger spa with bigger pumps and alot more water and he is claiming 50 bucks a month. After a heat up. Soaker get real, get your tub metered.