Infinity Owners

Wanna a tub

Has Anyone Else That Has Revieved Their Spa, Looked & Seen IF Their Spa Had The Correct Heater & Motors? Just Curious If What Happen With fiveofakind's Spa Was An Isolated Problem Or Was There Others? Thnks

99% of the people who buy these low end spas could care less. When you pay less you get less. If you expect it, it is not a problem. If your expecting the same thing as an 8000 dollar spa for less than half the price sooner or later you will be dissapointed.

As far as the motors, I'm not sure I would complain about the Marathon instead of the GE. The Marathon may be better IMO.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From costcos terms and conditions web page;

we: (a) reserve the right to change the goods and services advertised or offered for sale through this Site, the prices or specifications of such goods and services, and any promotional offers and any other Site Materials at any time and from time to time without any notice or liability to you

do not warrant that the Site Materials (including without limitation product descriptions or photographs) are accurate, complete, reliable, current

costso terms and conditions

http://' target="_blank">

Roger, yuou may be right but I am not in that 99% who could care less:

The point is the advertisement for these spas says once thing & Infinity is shipping something else for their internal componenets...thats all.....

All I want is an answer from Costco or Infinity on these inconsistency.....

When I pay less, I still expect what was advertised.....you sometimes just have to push the point....

Most first spa owners ( 99% of them ) who buy these Sun Peak tubs will probably not look at the internal components anyway...they will connect, fill up & enjoy it.....as I will do.....

I am just pointing issues between advertisement & actual product....

Costco will either change their advertisement or make Infinity change their specifications on these tubs...

Jeff

San Diego

Roger, yuou may be right but I am not in that 99% who could care less:

The point is the advertisement for these spas says once thing & Infinity is shipping something else for their internal componenets...thats all.....

All I want is an answer from Costco or Infinity on these inconsistency.....

When I pay less, I still expect what was advertised.....you sometimes just have to push the point....

Most first spa owners ( 99% of them ) who buy these Sun Peak tubs will probably not look at the internal components anyway...they will connect, fill up & enjoy it.....as I will do.....

I am just pointing issues between advertisement & actual product....

Costco will either change their advertisement or make Infinity change their specifications on these tubs...

Jeff

San Diego

Hello Jeff:

I think you make some very valid points. I just received our Sunpeak last week.. I will examine our internal components more carefully and report what I discover. As a customer, the minimum I expect to get is what is advertised. If however, a better component is used instead of the one advertised, I have no problem with that.

Thanks for all of your hard work on following up with this. It will be interesting to hear how Costco/Infinity responds.

I have a Sunpeak and at ~$0.09/kWh in my area (northern VA) my electric bill rose $10-$20/month depending on the season (I have now had it all winter). Economy mode keeps it at temperature in all but the coldest weather. So hey, fine. On topic.

Just curious, we just got our sunpeak last week. It appears to be increasing our electric usage by about 25 KW's daily. It was set at standard mode, 2 hour filteration, @ 101 degrees.

I have just changed it to the Economy mode. My understanding is that the heater will only come on once every 12 hours during filteration. Do you happen to know if the temperature drops much when it's in the Economy mode?

Currently our day time temps are in the 60's and in the 40's at night.

Thanks

One more thing I see after examining the internal guts of this Infinity Sun Peak Spa.....

the 2 Pumps are not GE Pumps......they are made by Marathon Electric.....

Marathon Electric is part of the Regal Beloit family of companies.

I will discuss this with the Costco Buyer as well...

Lets see:

1. No high density foam insulation

I am not pissed but just want to know why the advertisement on Costco's website says one thing & Infinity Spa - Texas Division ( A.k.a. - Keys Backyard ) is shipping something else....

Jeff

San Diego, CA

You noted that it does have high density foam. The problem seems to be you assumed it was substantial but it’s not well insulated and the first thing you'll want to do is to try to improve on that. Maybe their wording led you to believe they its fully insulated but I’m not sure you’ll get anywhere on that is yours is just like all the others they make. Its not like the situation where you’re getting a lower KW heater than advertised.

From costcos terms and conditions web page;

we: (a) reserve the right to change the goods and services advertised or offered for sale through this Site, the prices or specifications of such goods and services, and any promotional offers and any other Site Materials at any time and from time to time without any notice or liability to you

do not warrant that the Site Materials (including without limitation product descriptions or photographs) are accurate, complete, reliable, current

costso terms and conditions

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

That's a good point but does that really apply to a heater with a lower Kw rating? Otherwise they could put in smaller pumps, heaters, etc. I wonder if it’s an oversight (quality control) or they just had an inventory issue and decided to put in the smaller rated heater.

I have a Sunpeak and at ~$0.09/kWh in my area (northern VA) my electric bill rose $10-$20/month depending on the season (I have now had it all winter). Economy mode keeps it at temperature in all but the coldest weather. So hey, fine. On topic.

Just curious, we just got our sunpeak last week. It appears to be increasing our electric usage by about 25 KW's daily. It was set at standard mode, 2 hour filteration, @ 101 degrees.

I have just changed it to the Economy mode. My understanding is that the heater will only come on once every 12 hours during filteration. Do you happen to know if the temperature drops much when it's in the Economy mode?

Thanks

That seems pretty high at 25kw per day....

My experience with the Costco OC 850L Spa (Full Foam) is 4kwh per day increase in similar kind of weather (Seattle) - In fact earlier on that particular month bill cycle we had a cold snap with snow etc.....

See this post:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=53898

I saw my bill increase $8-$10 with the Spa on EC mode (first week I had it I was on STD mode though) - At 25kwh per day my bill would have gone up $50+ per month and not $8....

Our Spa is set to 101

Thanks

Biz,

We keep our Sunpeak in economy mode all the time, even in the winter. The biggest difference I saw in Jan/Feb between the set temp (we keep it at 100) and the actual temp was 4 degrees. This time of year, there's very little temp drop and our temps are comparable to yours. Best estimate, our spa uses about 10kw per day, which costs us about $30 extra per month.

Something else that you can do to cut electric use is to set your filtration cycle to match when you use the spa (got this advice from someone on the forum). We generally use the tub at night since we both work, sometime between 8 and 10 PM. So we have the filtration cycle set so the spa starts filtering at 7:30 and stops at 9:30. The water only heats during the filtration cycle when the spa is in economy mode, so this way, the spa is heating the water at the same time that we are using it. This won't work as well if you use the spa all times of the day but you may begin to see a pattern to your usage after a while. You might also consider getting a floating blanket - it keeps the heat from escaping as quickly and also protects your cover. Every little bit helps. And then there's the extra insulation that you may want to do sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Sandi

Sandi

Thanks

Biz,

We keep our Sunpeak in economy mode all the time, even in the winter. The biggest difference I saw in Jan/Feb between the set temp (we keep it at 100) and the actual temp was 4 degrees. This time of year, there's very little temp drop and our temps are comparable to yours. Best estimate, our spa uses about 10kw per day, which costs us about $30 extra per month.

Something else that you can do to cut electric use is to set your filtration cycle to match when you use the spa (got this advice from someone on the forum). We generally use the tub at night since we both work, sometime between 8 and 10 PM. So we have the filtration cycle set so the spa starts filtering at 7:30 and stops at 9:30. The water only heats during the filtration cycle when the spa is in economy mode, so this way, the spa is heating the water at the same time that we are using it. This won't work as well if you use the spa all times of the day but you may begin to see a pattern to your usage after a while. You might also consider getting a floating blanket - it keeps the heat from escaping as quickly and also protects your cover. Every little bit helps. And then there's the extra insulation that you may want to do sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Sandi

Sandi

Hi Biz,

Be wary of your first months bill. Mine was extremely high as my tub was set to standard mode and filtration was set to continuous. This, coupled with the initial heating of the water from ground temperature to 101 degrees was tremendously impactive to my first months bill. After setting the mode to "EC"onomy and changing the filtration cycle, the increases I saw in my electric bills was much more bearable. Just doing a crude year-over-year comparison with the same month in the previous year showed an increase in electric usage averaging 290 kwh/month (or about 10 kwh/day).

As Roger pointed out in that thread, without a meter actually measuring the electric consumption, any conclusions drawn from the data are suspect.

Back in April, I posted the following information in this thread:

I received and installed the spa around Labor Day Weekend 2007. My next months bill showed an 81% increase over a similar bill from the prior year. This represented an increase of $186 dollars for that month!

Initially, I was unfamiliar with the spa controls and had set the spa to 24-hour filtration. The filtration pump ran 24/7 along with the circulation pump. Also, I had the tub in "Standard" mode, which kept the temperature at its set-point all the time. Finally, the increase in electric usage was also due to the initial filling and heating of the tub. To give you an idea of how much electricity the low-speed filtration pump consumes, I had my temperature set to 101 degrees. The low speed filtration pump ran 24/7 and the heat generated from the pump heated the interior of the cabinet helping to heat the water. The water temperature rose from its set-point of 101 all the way up to 105 before I realized how I had it set. I then set the filtration cycle to 4 hours.

After that first month, the electric bills became much more bearable. The next five months showed increases over the prior year of $39, $39, $51, $70, and $59 - an average increase of $51/month. I drained, refilled, and re-heated the spa in January.

There are many other factors that contribute to electric usage. These include: how often you use the tub, what the filter cycle is, what mode is the tub in (economy, standard, or sleep), the set-point temp of the water, etc.

My wife and I use the tub approximately 3 times a week, the filter cycle is set for 4-hours, the tub is in economy mode, and we have the set-point at 101.

Economy mode raises the water temperature to the set-point only during the filter cycles. The filter cycles starts every 12 hours. My tub filters the water from 7am-11am and then again from 7pm-11pm. During those times, the water temp is at the set-point.

Good luck,

Ken

Hi Biz,

Be wary of your first months bill. Mine was extremely high as my tub was set to standard mode and filtration was set to continuous. This, coupled with the initial heating of the water from ground temperature to 101 degrees was tremendously impactive to my first months bill. After setting the mode to "EC"onomy and changing the filtration cycle, the increases I saw in my electric bills was much more bearable. Just doing a crude year-over-year comparison with the same month in the previous year showed an increase in electric usage averaging 290 kwh/month (or about 10 kwh/day).

As Roger pointed out in that thread, without a meter actually measuring the electric consumption, any conclusions drawn from the data are suspect.

I received and installed the spa around Labor Day Weekend 2007. My next months bill showed an 81% increase over a similar bill from the prior year. This represented an increase of $186 dollars for that month!

Initially, I was unfamiliar with the spa controls and had set the spa to 24-hour filtration. The filtration pump ran 24/7 along with the circulation pump. Also, I had the tub in "Standard" mode, which kept the temperature at its set-point all the time. Finally, the increase in electric usage was also due to the initial filling and heating of the tub. To give you an idea of how much electricity the low-speed filtration pump consumes, I had my temperature set to 101 degrees. The low speed filtration pump ran 24/7 and the heat generated from the pump heated the interior of the cabinet helping to heat the water. The water temperature rose from its set-point of 101 all the way up to 105 before I realized how I had it set. I then set the filtration cycle to 4 hours.

After that first month, the electric bills became much more bearable. The next five months showed increases over the prior year of $39, $39, $51, $70, and $59 - an average increase of $51/month. I drained, refilled, and re-heated the spa in January.

There are many other factors that contribute to electric usage. These include: how often you use the tub, what the filter cycle is, what mode is the tub in (economy, standard, or sleep), the set-point temp of the water, etc.

My wife and I use the tub approximately 3 times a week, the filter cycle is set for 4-hours, the tub is in economy mode, and we have the set-point at 101.

Economy mode raises the water temperature to the set-point only during the filter cycles. The filter cycles starts every 12 hours. My tub filters the water from 7am-11am and then again from 7pm-11pm. During those times, the water temp is at the set-point.

Good luck,

Ken

Spatech,

This is what the ad said:

Seats: 6

Pearl shadow or Sterling acrylic

Maintenance free synthetic cabinet-grayor Mahogany

High-density foam insulation

Double-sided Artic wrap insulation

Neck, shoulder, & foot jets

Interchangeable water jets

Standard jets: 45 (stainless)

Master massage jet: 1 (stainless)

2-6hp GE pumps

Ozone

9 LED color changing light

Comfort cushion headrest

Handrail waterfall

Deluxe cover: 4" - 2" taper

5.5 KW heater

220V, 50 Amp GFCI breaker required (Electrical connections must be made by qualified and licensed personnel. Improper installations present hazards, which can result in personal injury or property damage. Please contact a licensed residential electrician for these services)

Capacity (approx):350 gallons

Dimensions: 78" x 84" x 36"

Dry weight: 750 lbs.

Filled weight: 3250 lbs.

I did not assume that this Sun Peak tub would be fully insulated......

When they mention high density foam insulation in the advertisement.....what I assumed was a litlle more than what I see....

The only foam insulation is in the top 4 corners & at the bottom base of the shell.....

What I expected was at least some foam insulation around the the whole tub itself but not necessarily to be fully insulated....maybe a couple of inches thick or so.......

But the shell is completely bare except for the areas I mentioned......

Oh well, I will wait for their response on these matters & may have to self insulate....not a problem...

Jeff

San Diego

I understand; I'd have probably assumed the same if I were you. I just know that one way they save $$ when producing those spas is in the lack of insulation which is why I always tell people that's the first thing they want to upgrade when they get it. Th way it sits now will cost you probably double what a well insulated spa would cost to operate but you can improve it to get it to be at least reasonable.

Spatech,

When they mention high density foam insulation in the advertisement.....what I assumed was a litlle more than what I see....

The only foam insulation is in the top 4 corners & at the bottom base of the shell.....

What I expected was at least some foam insulation around the the whole tub itself but not necessarily to be fully insulated....maybe a couple of inches thick or so.......

Oh well, I will wait for their response on these matters & may have to self insulate....not a problem...

Jeff

San Diego

Spatech,

This is what the ad said:

Seats: 6

Pearl shadow or Sterling acrylic

Maintenance free synthetic cabinet-grayor Mahogany

Double-sided Artic wrap insulation

Neck, shoulder, & foot jets

Interchangeable water jets

Standard jets: 45 (stainless)

Master massage jet: 1 (stainless)

2-6hp GE pumps

Ozone

9 LED color changing light

Comfort cushion headrest

Handrail waterfall

Deluxe cover: 4" - 2" taper

5.5 KW heater

220V, 50 Amp GFCI breaker required (Electrical connections must be made by qualified and licensed personnel. Improper installations present hazards, which can result in personal injury or property damage. Please contact a licensed residential electrician for these services)

Capacity (approx):350 gallons

Dimensions: 78" x 84" x 36"

Dry weight: 750 lbs.

Filled weight: 3250 lbs.

Jeff

San Diego

Hi Jeff:

This is a copy of an email that I got direct from a sales rep at infinity prior to me buying the tub:

Hi,

The Sun Peak and the Dundee are the same spa. The Sun Peak is offered thru Costco and the Dundee is the name of the tub on our website, www.infinityspas.net. Costco chose what specs they wanted of the Dundee and we had to change the name for them as our dealer. The main difference is that Costco didn’t choose all of the optional upgrades that we offer with the Dundee.

1. Yes, we sale our tubs in Canada and do not come across any problems with insulation. Our tubs have the 2lb high density foam insulation sprayed on the cavity of the tub (most spa manufacturers use 1lb or 1.5lb spray foam). We also have the artic wrap, aka subzero, insulation that goes around the cabinet of the tub and this keeps the hot air in and the cold air out. It is the same insulation used for in-ground pools and looks like silver bubble wrap. For the Sun Peak, most people see $30-$40 increase with their power bill each month.

2. The cabinets are made of a resin synthetic wood material and they are heat retaining. There is no maintenance with the cabinets and the warranty is 10 years for your frame and cabinets.

3. Cold weather has never seemed to effect the shell, but you do have a 5 year warranty on the acrylic of the tub.

4. For all electrical parts, pumps, packs, topside control, all plumbing… is all 5 years. If anything goes wrong we have to send the new part for you and you do have a labor warranty for the first year.

jennifer57,

With any spa manufacturer, when they mean stainless jets, they are referring to stainless steel covers on the jets, the entire jets are not stainless.....

Headrests, filter, & manual are located inside spa...remove front panel...panel below the console ( 8 screws to remove ).

$ 80 still sounds high for placement.....Where do you live ? Costco policy was curbside delivery.....

Sounds like they didnt have to manuver hardly at all to place your spa......

I guess they were looking for a quick buck...

yes, that is what i was referring to...the covers around the jets. They look stainless in color but to me look plastic w/ a stainless colored coating. I don't know.

Yes, we got the headrests and filter out from behind the panel...however no manual. They are sending us one.

It was 100 for placement...not 80. I live in PA.

It arrived uncovered, few inches of water, & ALOT of dirt. I think it's crappy for them to drive with my tub uncovered in the sunlight (one and a half hours away from their distribution center)...considering isn't it true that damage can occur when the tub is empty and in sunlight?

That is shameful that they would ship it that way. It should come with packaging covering the top but even so, how difficult is it to just put a tarp over it for the drive? The sun can definitely damage it and 1½ hrs of sunlight is more than enough to do so but its not a given that it will so just monitor it for blistering over time down in the lower half of the spa. The problem is the damage doesn't show immediately, it takes time to show itself. I would definitely somehow note that to Infinity in case you have issues down the line (it would have been wise to note it on the invoice I assume you signed upon delivery).

I reported this to costco and they are going to refund me some money. I dont know how much yet....suppossed to know by tuesday. There were ALOT of isssues. One other issue was the shipper guy lied to me. He told me if i didn't pay him to wire up the tub then i would void the warranty w/ infinity. He said that a licensed electrician was NOT enough....the person had to have went to school for infinity and get certified to wire up their tubs. Had I not been reading this site, then i may have been nieve to believe that. Infinity & costco were both quite upset to hear this.

I'm hoping there won't be any damage showing up to the surface. The large sticker that was placed on the seat...i'm still having problems removing it. I think from there being water in it on the bottom and seats and then probably from the sun hitting it, it made the sticker bubble and just get funny to where you try to remove it but only a tiny piece at a time and that's w/ using your finger nail. I'll try to post a pic of what it looks like after messing with it for a LONG while.

It arrived uncovered, few inches of water, & ALOT of dirt. I think it's crappy for them to drive with my tub uncovered in the sunlight (one and a half hours away from their distribution center)...considering isn't it true that damage can occur when the tub is empty and in sunlight?

That is shameful that they would ship it that way. It should come with packaging covering the top but even so, how difficult is it to just put a tarp over it for the drive? The sun can definitely damage it and 1½ hrs of sunlight is more than enough to do so but its not a given that it will so just monitor it for blistering over time down in the lower half of the spa. The problem is the damage doesn't show immediately, it takes time to show itself. I would definitely somehow note that to Infinity in case you have issues down the line (it would have been wise to note it on the invoice I assume you signed upon delivery).

I reported this to costco and they are going to refund me some money. I dont know how much yet....suppossed to know by tuesday. There were ALOT of isssues. One other issue was the shipper guy lied to me. He told me if i didn't pay him to wire up the tub then i would void the warranty w/ infinity. He said that a licensed electrician was NOT enough....the person had to have went to school for infinity and get certified to wire up their tubs. Had I not been reading this site, then i may have been nieve to believe that. Infinity & costco were both quite upset to hear this.

I'm hoping there won't be any damage showing up to the surface. The large sticker that was placed on the seat...i'm still having problems removing it. I think from there being water in it on the bottom and seats and then probably from the sun hitting it, it made the sticker bubble and just get funny to where you try to remove it but only a tiny piece at a time and that's w/ using your finger nail. I'll try to post a pic of what it looks like after messing with it for a LONG while.

Just curious, what type of truck did you hot tub arrive in? Ours was a huge tractor trailer which was enclosed. When he pulled our tub out if was totally covered with bubble rap and plastic. When we took it off, there was some dirt in the tub, but it wasn't too hard to clean.

Biz,

By your e-mail from the manufacturer , itheir 1. bullet indicates that they should be insulating these tubs....

Can others who have purchased these tubs, let me know whether they have seen the 4 things I have noticed or is my tub an isolated case.....

Just curious, what type of truck did you hot tub arrive in? Ours was a huge tractor trailer which was enclosed. When he pulled our tub out if was totally covered with bubble rap and plastic. When we took it off, there was some dirt in the tub, but it wasn't too hard to clean.

It was a small van w/ a trailer hooked to it. There was no bubble wrap, plastic or anything.

Biz,

By your e-mail from the manufacturer , itheir 1. bullet indicates that they should be insulating these tubs....

Can others who have purchased these tubs, let me know whether they have seen the 4 things I have noticed or is my tub an isolated case.....

We've only had the one panel off at this point but I saw that the inner side of the panel did have a sheet of insulation on it. Guessing like 1/2 inch thick or something like that. Does yours have that?

Hi Biz,

Good luck,

Ken

Ken,

I just took the front panel off of our spa to check the pumps and the heater after reading fiveofakind's posts. Had to remove the rigid foam panels that we added back in November in order to see inside - not a big deal b/c we just have them wedged between the vertical wooden framing pieces. Anyway, I'm wondering if we should leave the insulation panels out, at least on that one side, now that the weather is warmer, so that too much heat doesn't build up in the cabinet. What are you planning to do? Thanks.

Sandi

Hi Biz,

Good luck,

Ken

Ken,

I just took the front panel off of our spa to check the pumps and the heater after reading fiveofakind's posts. Had to remove the rigid foam panels that we added back in November in order to see inside - not a big deal b/c we just have them wedged between the vertical wooden framing pieces. Anyway, I'm wondering if we should leave the insulation panels out, at least on that one side, now that the weather is warmer, so that too much heat doesn't build up in the cabinet. What are you planning to do? Thanks.

Sandi

Jennifer,

That silver wrap around all 4 panels is the Double sided Artic Wrap insulation that they refer to in the ad.. thats all.....

Jeff

thanks for the explanation Jeff. Your right it does say in the description:

high-density foam insulation...as well as double-sided artic wrap insulation.

I just sent an email to the person at Infinity that I've been in contact with.