Newbie- Looking For Advice On Where To Begin?

junebug

Hello Everyone, I am new to this sight but have been reading many of the forum's posted and it has been quite overwhelming to me. My husband and i are getting ready to venture out and look at hot tub's. Where does a person begin as far as what brand's to start with and questions we need to ask. We are looking for at least a 5-6 person tub. Any and all advice would be greatly apprecaited. Help!!!!

1. Find out what dealers & stores are in your area.

2. Write down all the brands names you find.

3. Search for information about them here, as well as rhtubs dot com and whatsthebest-hottub dot com (both of which have user reviews)

4. If you're feeling overwhelmed, start by looking at Arctic, Artesian, Dimension One, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis, and Sundance. Go to their respective web sites & see if they have dealers anywhere near you.

5. Visit the dealers and WET TEST the models you're interested. Sitting in one dry can help, but a wet test makes a big difference.

6. Come back here to report your thoughts & ask questions.

7. If you're only looking at tubs from "dealers", be prepared for fans of Costco and other big box stores to bite your head off. :rolleyes:

8. If you're only looking at tubs from big box stores, be prepared for me & other fans of "dealer tubs" to bite your head off. :P

9. Despite the attacks, retain your head.

10. Choose the spa that's best for you.

11. Buy it. Soak in it. Love it. Done.

0. get an idea of what you can afford total. Figure on $500-$1000 of that going to site prep, electrical hookup, permits, etc.... ie everything else you need to run the tub. The rest is how much you can spend on a tub.

0.5 if "the rest" is ballpark 6-7K, or more, see #4 in DP's list - if its 3-4K or less, you are in Costco and other budget/value spa territory. There is nothing wrong with either group, but it helps to know what you can afford before you fall in love :D

1 - 11 per DP

0. get an idea of what you can afford total. Figure on $500-$1000 of that going to site prep, electrical hookup, permits, etc.... ie everything else you need to run the tub. The rest is how much you can spend on a tub.

0.5 if "the rest" is ballpark 6-7K, or more, see #4 in DP's list - if its 3-4K or less, you are in Costco and other budget/value spa territory. There is nothing wrong with either group, but it helps to know what you can afford before you fall in love :D

1 - 11 per DP

Thanks, I forgot those parts. I'll also add:

0.6 If you're in the 3-4K range, check with your local dealers, Craigslist, etc. for used tubs. Many people on these boards (myself included) have found some really great values on used tubs. If you get a used one, insist on seeing it working.

Your total investment should be taken into consideration if you look at my used tub titled (my used spa) on the the second page of this site you will see it was used no name and I live in the midwest first power bill couldn't tell it was even installed, acutally our bill was $4.00 cheapier but is was a bargain after getting it and a couple of small repairs my total cost has been $850.00 this includes new filters, (4 month supply of chemicals, sump pump, and did the wiring myself for the past approx. 45 days have been in it everyday. except for 3 days at anywhere from a 1/2 to 2 hrs daily and no regrets as of yet so look at craiglist or whatever's in your range.

[n a previous post I encouraged spa buyers to purchase their spa using a credit card offering a zero percent interest rate for a year and if a issue arises with the spa and the dealer isn’t resolving it they can submit a dispute with the CC company. Well, I followed my own advice and I might need to submit a dispute with the CC if Master Spa can’t honor their advertising and bring my spa electric consumption down.

Please, when buying a spa do your homework, shop around, wet test. In my opinion the operating cost should be a major factor when purchasing a tub. Do NOT have the tub dealer tell you what it is going to cost per day in $$ but Kilowatts per day. Look at your electric bill and see what you are paying per Kilowatt hour and then determine what the tub is going to cost you per month in electric.

Don't assume just because the tub is expensive that it is a high end tub. I paid $14K for My Master Spa and it has several issues. One being the amount of electric it uses. The first tub the dealer replaced and now the replacement tub is consuming just as my electric. Last January my electric bill just for the tub was $200+ dollars. In the winter months my electric jumped by an average of 1500 KWH per month at .11 cents per hour = $165. During the summer months the tub averages 25 KWH per day. Do the math it adds up quickly.

Okay everyone i actually made it out to day to begin my search for a hot tub. I checked a place out that deals in Marquis spa's. Looked,and asked lots of questions. I was very impressed with the service right off the bat. A small business owned by a husband and wife, very helpful to us and actually seemed sincere. Was not trying to push a sell what so ever. Their tubs were awesome, of course they are the first and only one's i have checked out at this point. But just wanted to check in and say hey! anybody out there own a Marquis and what has been your experience with it??????? I am heading back out tomorrow to look at Artesian, Calspa, and Viking. Please if you own a Marquis i would appreciate your input. Thanks, just anxious to start soaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!