Private Messages - blessing and curse

Tom

If one wanted to create lies and slander but didn't want the mods to censor him/her, one could send PMs to unsuspecting new posters, and basically get away with anything.

There are features to prevent this. Nobody needs to endure harassment in private messages. Go to the profile of the offending member and in the left menu under Options, select Add to PM Block List. This will prevent that member from sending you any Private Messages.

You can also choose to block posts from specified members. Go to the profile of that member and under Options choose Ignore Member. When you add a user to your ignore list, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them.

I don't know that moderators have the ability (and IMO don't have the right) to read or interfere with private messages. The options we have are

• Adjust member's warn level - in practical terms, this doesn't seem to do much but provide a tap on the shoulder, though it does notify other members that a warning has been given
  • Enforce moderator preview of all new posts, either indefinitely or for a specified number of days
  • Disable this members posting ability, either indefinitely ("banned") for a number of days.
  • Suspend member's account, for a period ranging from hours to days - I haven't tried this but I imagine it also suspends ability to send PMs.

In the event that you feel that you have been harassed in a PM, I suggest that you forward a copy of the PM to Crystal (Little Miss Moderator) who represents the board owner, with a request to suspend. Doc, Chas, members - does that sound okay?

Tom

Tom,

If you block someone from PMing you does the sender see that their message is unwanted?

There are features to prevent this. Nobody needs to endure harassment in private messages. Go to the profile of the offending member and in the left menu under Options, select Add to PM Block List. This will prevent that member from sending you any Private Messages.

You can also choose to block posts from specified members. Go to the profile of that member and under Options choose Ignore Member. When you add a user to your ignore list, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them.

I don't know that moderators have the ability (and IMO don't have the right) to read or interfere with private messages. The options we have are

• Adjust member's warn level - in practical terms, this doesn't seem to do much but provide a tap on the shoulder, though it does notify other members that a warning has been given
  • Enforce moderator preview of all new posts, either indefinitely or for a specified number of days
  • Disable this members posting ability, either indefinitely ("banned") for a number of days.
  • Suspend member's account, for a period ranging from hours to days - I haven't tried this but I imagine it also suspends ability to send PMs.
In the event that you feel that you have been harassed in a PM, I suggest that you forward a copy of the PM to Crystal (Little Miss Moderator) who represents the board owner, with a request to suspend. Doc, Chas, members - does that sound okay?

Tom

Why not? They are a private company and you are logging in using there service.

Owners probably have access, since as you say it is their service. There may be different levels of access for the moderators, too. Dr. Spa is the Sheriff and I'm just a deputy. :P

I moved these posts from another topic. Nothing was deleted or lost, all were simply moved to maintain the flow of the other topic, and giving room here to post regarding THIS topic.

BTW - I also have blocked the person in question, and it seems to have ended the incredible craziness I used to find in my inbox on an almost daily basis.

My thanks to Kelly for her purchase, and also for bringing up the fact that this individual tends to email or PM people who show an interest in any other brand than his. Those messages are amazing - I have seen many directed to me, of course, but I have also seen many directed to others.

My advice - ignore him.

I have to admit that I am sick and tired of all the sexual advances that have been made towards my personage on this forum via private message. I try to simply lead a humble life of selling spas and spreading good will amongst my fellow hot water enthusiasts, but the lascivious messages and candid, erotic photos have become too much to bear, so I have had to put the person in question on an "ignore list" in order to preserve the virtue and sanctity to which I subscribe.

Thank you for having this valuable feature and thank you for doing all within your considerable power to protect us innocents from online predators.

Terminator

Thank you for having this valuable feature and thank you for doing all within your considerable power to protect us innocents from online predators.

Terminator

No charge, sir.

B)

I have to admit that I am sick and tired of all the sexual advances that have been made towards my personage on this forum via private message. I try to simply lead a humble life of selling spas and spreading good will amongst my fellow hot water enthusiasts, but the lascivious messages and candid, erotic photos have become too much to bear, so I have had to put the person in question on an "ignore list" in order to preserve the virtue and sanctity to which I subscribe.

Terminator

Sorry Term, you're just so damn sexy when you are posing with those big guns :D

Guest Crystal
Sorry Term, you're just so damn sexy when you are posing with those big guns :D

'Tis true, 'tis true....I probably bring it upon myself.

Term

Sorry, I don't post here (socially) often, but LOL!