Blemished Spas

Plantguy

I'm still considering a blemished spa (Dimension 1) and hope to get a bit more feedback than from my earlier post. This one has had 2 spots fixed on the shell: a blister and an uneven place in the shell. I assume that technicians can fix such things and that they don't reoccur but I don't have any experience with this (my Sundance spa of 15 years ago didn't have any shell problems). I'd appreciate any feedback from folks that have had their spa shells fixed and/or from those that are in the business of fixing them. I think I may either go with this one which is only 2 years old or with a new one if the risk doesn't seem worth it. Thanks in advance!

Can you see where the repairs are or do you have to look for them. With a proper repair you shouldnt be able to tell it was ever there. After looking at your previous post I wouldnt pay more than $4500 for that repaired tub. The tub is also an 04 which means its almost 4 years old. Who knows after the 1 year is up if more blisters pop up.

Blistered spas are a dima a dozen. You can find used spas all day long in Craigslist, local want ads, etc. Those with structural / surface damage to the shell have little value. Anything else in the spa can ne easily fixed (in comparison) by many different people. It's kind of like an automobile: you can find a dozen mechanics to fix mechanical problems, but a GOOD body man --- one who can make it like new without having to refinance your house --- is a rare breed indeed.

I ofund 4 used hot tubs / spas in my local Craigslist a few minutes ago ranging in price from $500 - $1800. None of them said anything about blisters, bubbles, etc. You could probably even get a real nice one that had an internal leak, and find someone who would do the repairs for a lot less money, IMO.

Check around your area to see what people charge to do this kind of repair. But, if it has already happened twice, it sounds like it may be a structural problem with the shell itself, or a weakness in the design, or both. If so you can potentially expect it to happen again.

blem is different then a used tub, and a d1 is different from average tubs, it is honestly my favorite tub out of any and I have sold and worked on more then most.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The used one is a 2004 D1 Lotus Bay. It had a blister in the seat for $7000 or a new one for $10,500. I like the features on it but am having difficulty trying to determine the risk of buying a spa that has had a blister such as if there might be more problems with the shell in the future or not. I'm also looking at a Sundance Cameo (new) which is also a good deal as the dealer there will throw in ozone and a stereo CD player for $10,500. Both seem to be very nice spas.