Canadian Hot Tub Makers Must Be Hurting...

HEY NW

More news for you:

1) I have heard rumors that Hydro Spa is going into Chapter 11

2) Gulf Coast spas ended a relationship 2 years ago with Hydro who used to make 10,000 spas a year for Gulf Coast spas.

3) Gulf Coast Spas and Pilates Spas are owned and manufactured (now) by Tatum manufactuing

4) I called Pilates and asked about there spas (cuz they are made in Florida just like Hydro Spa is) and asked them if they had issues with leaking. (Due to my current experience with my Hydro Spa). The lasy at Pilates said that leaks were by far the most common problem and more so on older models 2 years old or older.

The above leads to me to believe that Gulf Coast ditched Hydro due to them making shoddy product which translated into many warrantie calls and replacement parts (heck you even had a breakdown first thing on your tub NW - allegedely!). So Gulf Coast pulls the manufacturing contract from Hydro. Well Hydro still has the deal with Costco right? But oh wait, there has been quality issues and many calls and returns (allegedely) to Costco on Hydro tubs. So now if Costco pulls the pin on Hydro I bet she goes t*ts up!

All of the above IMO!

But common NW...the writing is on the wall. Hydro I bet will be gone in a year or two. Have you called the repair/ warranty line lately? It's a new person every time! Not good! Something is rooten in denmark!

You may have a good tub and yours has treated you well. Consier yourself lucky. But don't be too short sighted to think that your problems are not coming. And when they do, just be hoping that Costco will still accept a return on your tub and that Hydro is still in business.

I can bet that Costco's shareholders aren't happy getting returns on a $6000 item that takes up a huge amount of floor space. Not to mention handling and trucking costs. These items are at a loss or a wash at best!

IMO IMO IMO IMO!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acualy no, the frame is cheap and is deteriorating quickly, The hose and jets are getting brittle and also deteriorating. I have already fixed a few leaks in air lines and PVC. The controller will be next along with a few other things, and it's an energy hog, it will no longer be cost effective to fix. And I wouldn't even consider working for a guy like you as you probably won't pay because your so cheap. You seem like the kinda guy who would renig on any contract to save a buck. Besides I have more work than I want or need since our Hydrospa dealer went out of business, And when I dospose of it for them I will take the pump out and resell it as used.

I actualy think it's hilarious that you alone stand up for the Hydrospa brand when all others who are more educated and more open to there livleyhoods put them where they belong. And I also know that no matter what I do or say or anyone else, there's no convincing you of the mediorcacy of the brand you purchased so who cares. It's the same as a 10,000 dollar tub. You keep saying that pal. It'll help in a few years.

We have a new Jim....LOL

What now? Are you saying that the tubing and PVC are somehow more likely to become embrittled than on a 'quality' tub? My hydrospa tub has pvc that meets ASTM specs so it isn't more likely to become embrittled than any one else's tub. The flexible tubing in my tub has been in service for 14 months and is still as flexible as when it was new. You say "the controller will be next". Assuming it is a digital controller, what makes you think it is on the road to failure? Do you think it is "wearing out" for some reason? I don't believe that you worked on a hydrospa tub, that you could recognize a hydrospa tub if you saw one, that the tub you worked on was failing in the ways you describe, or that you have any ability to predict the imminent failure of the controller. Frankly, I doubt that you are even a hot tub repair tech or, if you are, you certainly don't seem to know very much about pumps, piping, water flow, controls, or servicing them based on your comments here. Maybe you are "self taught?"

What now? Are you saying that the tubing and PVC are somehow more likely to become embrittled than on a 'quality' tub? My hydrospa tub has pvc that meets ASTM specs so it isn't more likely to become embrittled than any one else's tub. The flexible tubing in my tub has been in service for 14 months and is still as flexible as when it was new. You say "the controller will be next". Assuming it is a digital controller, what makes you think it is on the road to failure? Do you think it is "wearing out" for some reason? I don't believe that you worked on a hydrospa tub, that you could recognize a hydrospa tub if you saw one, that the tub you worked on was failing in the ways you describe, or that you have any ability to predict the imminent failure of the controller. Frankly, I doubt that you are even a hot tub repair tech or, if you are, you certainly don't seem to know very much about pumps, piping, water flow, controls, or servicing them based on your comments here. Maybe you are "self taught?"

LOL NW...and I don't believe anything you say either so I guess we are even. Matter of fact I think you work for Hydrospa, and a whole lot of other people here think you do to. So I guess that makes it so, just like what you say about me. All true, your such a smart guy I can't believe I am as honored as I am to know you, you can see right through the 30 or so of us who have opposing views of this tub.

One thing you did get right, I am self taught regarding Hot Tubs, but 25 years of plumbing may have helped a bit. Good job Jim.

HEY NW

More news for you:

2) Gulf Coast spas ended a relationship 2 years ago with Hydro who used to make 10,000 spas a year for Gulf Coast spas.

3) Gulf Coast Spas and Pilates Spas are owned and manufactured (now) by Tatum manufactuing

4) I called Pilates and asked about there spas (cuz they are made in Florida just like Hydro Spa is) and asked them if they had issues with leaking. (Due to my current experience with my Hydro Spa). The lasy at Pilates said that leaks were by far the most common problem and more so on older models 2 years old or older.

The above leads to me to believe that Gulf Coast ditched Hydro due to them making shoddy product which translated into many warrantie calls and replacement parts (heck you even had a breakdown first thing on your tub NW - allegedely!). So Gulf Coast pulls the manufacturing contract from Hydro. Well Hydro still has the deal with Costco right? But oh wait, there has been quality issues and many calls and returns (allegedely) to Costco on Hydro tubs. So now if Costco pulls the pin on Hydro I bet she goes t*ts up!

All of the above IMO!

But common NW...the writing is on the wall. Hydro I bet will be gone in a year or two. Have you called the repair/ warranty line lately? It's a new person every time! Not good! Something is rooten in denmark!

You may have a good tub and yours has treated you well. Consier yourself lucky. But don't be too short sighted to think that your problems are not coming. And when they do, just be hoping that Costco will still accept a return on your tub and that Hydro is still in business.

I can bet that Costco's shareholders aren't happy getting returns on a $6000 item that takes up a huge amount of floor space. Not to mention handling and trucking costs. These items are at a loss or a wash at best!

IMO IMO IMO IMO!

Let's see, you 'heard rumors' of chapter 11 for Hydrospa, you know that Hydrospa was making 10,000 spas a year for Gulf Coast, Gulf Coast and Pilates are made by "Tatum Mfrg", you know that Gulf Coast ditched Hydro for making shoddy product. You seem to know a lot of information for someone who is just supposed to be a hot tub buyer in Canada. <laugh> I don't think that any of what you say is true, well except maybe the part about Gulf coast and tatum since Tatum seems to be an oem spa maker). Certainly none of this is public knowledge so, if it is true, only a spa insider would know it which makes you look even more like a paid shill for someone. Also, if it is true, Hydrospa is going under anyway so why is your company doing the phony astroturf campaign to denigrate their products? If it isn't true, though, your campaign makes more sense as they would be a threat to you. Maybe there is a different person at Hydrospa answering the phone for different calls because they have more than one person answering the phone? Just a wild theory...<laugh> Yes, my tub is a good one so if Hydro were going under though, it would be because they sold their tubs too cheap, not because their tubs weren't good.

HEY NW

More news for you:

All of the above IMO!

IMO IMO IMO IMO!

Let's see, you 'heard rumors' of chapter 11 for Hydrospa, you know that Hydrospa was making 10,000 spas a year for Gulf Coast, Gulf Coast and Pilates are made by "Tatum Mfrg", you know that Gulf Coast ditched Hydro for making shoddy product. You seem to know a lot of information for someone who is just supposed to be a hot tub buyer in Canada. <laugh> I don't think that any of what you say is true, well except maybe the part about Gulf coast and tatum since Tatum seems to be an oem spa maker). Certainly none of this is public knowledge so, if it is true, only a spa insider would know it which makes you look even more like a paid shill for someone. Also, if it is true, Hydrospa is going under anyway so why is your company doing the phony astroturf campaign to denigrate their products? If it isn't true, though, your campaign makes more sense as they would be a threat to you. Maybe there is a different person at Hydrospa answering the phone for different calls because they have more than one person answering the phone? Just a wild theory...<laugh> Yes, my tub is a good one so if Hydro were going under though, it would be because they sold their tubs too cheap, not because their tubs weren't good.

It's called doing DD. Due Diligence.

I've scoured the internet and have called each company and I have asked questions. It's easy to get information from the net if you know which words to seach. Wake up NW it's 2007!

I got burned once (buying my Hydro tub), and damned if I will get burned again on my next tub. That is why you must do DD!

Maybe there is a different person at Hydrospa answering the phone for different calls because they have more than one person answering the phone? Just a wild theory...<laugh>

Umm, actually every time I call I write down the following:

1) the date and time I called

2) who I talked to (the contact)

3) what we discussed

And because I know nothing will get done if I don't stay on top of things I am calling every day or every other day depending on the last conversation.

I used to deal with Christine who was the Canadian warranty representative at Hydro. So then Chrsitine is gone and now I have been dealing with Marc and John. I asked those guys what happened to Christine and they said she no longer works there! To make it even funnier, when I first called Hydro spa and I first started dealing with Christine she was NEW! So the turnover sounds ridiculous!!

IMO!

Certainly none of this is public knowledge so, if it is true, only a spa insider would know it which makes you look even more like a paid shill for someone. Also, if it is true, Hydrospa is going under anyway so why is your company doing the phony astroturf campaign to denigrate their products? If it isn't true, though, your campaign makes more sense as they would be a threat to you.

So who is unhappy supposedly working for in your conspiracy theory now????

Whats next your goin to tell us Elvis is Alive too???

I've scoured the internet and have called each company and I have asked questions. It's easy to get information from the net if you know which words to seach. Wake up NW it's 2007!

Fine, let's see you provide URLs for the Chapter 11 rumors that you 'heard,' the 10,000 spas a year that you heard that Hydro was making for Gulf Coast in 2004, Gulf Coast and Pilates are made by Tatum Mfg, and that Gulf Coast dropped Hydro due to 'shoddy product.' <laugh>

Your FUD about the Chapter 11 is especially laughable, now that I think about it, because Hydrospa is obviously a significant supplier to Costco and has been since 2004 so Costco accountants would have looked over the Hydrospa financial statements VERY carefully when they first signed up and would continue to do so up to the present. You can say a lot of things about Costco but they didn't get to where they are today by entering into partnerships with financially-weak suppliers. The reason is obvious...Costco doesn't want to be stuck without a supplier if they go under and they don't want to be selling stuff made by a company that goes under. Since Hydrospa has been a Costco supplier for several years, their balance sheet is likely to actually be rather strong, your FUD notwithstanding. So who exactly do you work for, unhappyhydroFUDgirl?

Umm, actually every time I call I write down the following:

1) the date and time I called

2) who I talked to (the contact)

3) what we discussed

And because I know nothing will get done if I don't stay on top of things I am calling every day or every other day depending on the last conversation.

I used to deal with Christine who was the Canadian warranty representative at Hydro. So then Chrsitine is gone and now I have been dealing with Marc and John. I asked those guys what happened to Christine and they said she no longer works there! To make it even funnier, when I first called Hydro spa and I first started dealing with Christine she was NEW! So the turnover sounds ridiculous!!

Well, you have already said here that you were taking your tub back to Costco so why are you still calling those poor devils at Hydrospa? Just for old time's sake? You say "I am calling every day or every other day..."You can't even keep your own phony story straight! Also, you first mentioned the alleged turnover at Hydrospa a few hours ago in connection with your FUD that Hydro was allegedly failing financially and yet your evidence appears to be that "Christine" came and left. Was she supposed to have been laid off due to the alleged financial hard times or something? Seems just as likely to me that she was a new hire that didn't work out or that she quit after a few days for some reason or another. But YOU claim that as evidence for your FUD. And you are supposed to be just a typical new buyer with a problem.

NW.....I know who you are???? Your the roady for Jim the Jim's Band....Come on fess up...it's you isn't it?

Gee, never a dull moment on this forum.....Have a good night folks....Soak Well and Prosper .....

P.S. Go Soak NW, sounds like you've had a hard day defending your planet..... :ph34r:

Fine, let's see you provide URLs for the Chapter 11 rumors that you 'heard,' the 10,000 spas a year that you heard that Hydro was making for Gulf Coast in 2004, Gulf Coast and Pilates are made by Tatum Mfg, and that Gulf Coast dropped Hydro due to 'shoddy product.' <laugh>

Your FUD about the Chapter 11 is especially laughable, now that I think about it, because Hydrospa is obviously a significant supplier to Costco and has been since 2004 so Costco accountants would have looked over the Hydrospa financial statements VERY carefully when they first signed up and would continue to do so up to the present. You can say a lot of things about Costco but they didn't get to where they are today by entering into partnerships with financially-weak suppliers. The reason is obvious...Costco doesn't want to be stuck without a supplier if they go under and they don't want to be selling stuff made by a company that goes under. Since Hydrospa has been a Costco supplier for several years, their balance sheet is likely to actually be rather strong, your FUD notwithstanding. So who exactly do you work for, unhappyhydroFUDgirl?

"How the loss of the partnership will impact Hydro Spas financially is unclear. By press time, the company had not returned phone calls for this article. But in 2004, it produced upwards of 10,000 spas for Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

"One of the issues we faced with Hydro Spa was that people would see Gulf Coast Spa and immediately think of a Hydro Spa," he continued. With that in mind, Tatum believes the move should help differentiate the Gulf Coast Spa brand.

He added that it's uncertain whether Hydro Spa will maintain warranty coverage on Gulf Coast Spas already in the aftermarket. As of yet, Hydro Spa has discontinued that coverage, Tatum said." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

READ IT AND WEEP NW!

"How the loss of the partnership will impact Hydro Spas financially is unclear. By press time, the company had not returned phone calls for this article. But in 2004, it produced upwards of 10,000 spas for Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

"One of the issues we faced with Hydro Spa was that people would see Gulf Coast Spa and immediately think of a Hydro Spa," he continued. With that in mind, Tatum believes the move should help differentiate the Gulf Coast Spa brand.

He added that it's uncertain whether Hydro Spa will maintain warranty coverage on Gulf Coast Spas already in the aftermarket. As of yet, Hydro Spa has discontinued that coverage, Tatum said." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NT...44/ai_n15791759

READ IT AND WEEP NW!

The interent is your friend NW!

"Success fueled by the power of prayer led Gulf Coast Spa Manufacturers Inc. to move its production to Tampa in a $10-million project.

The Pinellas County-based company closed last week on the purchase of a 160,000-square-foot building on 53rd Street North for $4.7 million.

Gulf Coast Spa plans to move its manufacturing plant from Ocala to Tampa and hire about 150 employees by the end of this year, said Brad Tatum, president.

With the addition of new equipment and materials, Tatum estimated the company's total investment in its Tampa operation will be about $10 million.

"Some build-out will be necessary so we can retool and restart," Tatum said. "We'll have a unique opportunity to institute new processes and use new raw materials."

Once the new plant is running at capacity, the company can triple its spa production. Tatum declined to provide specific production figures.

Restructuring to make it work

To accomplish his goals, Tatum restructured the business into three companies.

Spa Services Inc. will handle customer service and the company's 24-7 hotline operation. Tatum Manufacturing will be the production arm, while Gulf Coast Spa will continue to handle sales, marketing and distribution." http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/storie...ry4.html?page=1

TATUM MANUFACTURING http://www.tatummanufacturing.com/

Amazed yet NW?

How do I know Pilates is made by Tatum? Cuz they told me they were made by Tatum and not by Hydrospa anymore and that Tatum also made Gulf Coast (re: above). See how much info you can get if you asked a smart question NW?

Amazed yet NW?

How do I know Pilates is made by Tatum? Cuz they told me they were made by Tatum and not by Hydrospa anymore and that Tatum also made Gulf Coast (re: above). See how much info you can get if you asked a smart question NW?

Okay, these articles say that Tatum makes Gulf Coast spas and that Hydrospa used to make 10,000 spas per year for Gulf Coast until mid-2005. So what? I don't have any idea how many tubs Hydrospa makes in a year or if 10,000 tubs is even very significant. Maybe they sell 20,000 per year just to Costco. Who knows? I bought my spa over a year later in 2006 and its now the end of 2007. Your articles say NOTHING about the FUD you posted about Hydrospa supposedly about to enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2007 and about any alleged "shoddy" work. Those are YOUR words and you are unable to back them up, even though you claimed that you found them out on the 'interent.' Your FUD about the Chapter 11 is especially laughable, now that I think about it, because Hydrospa is obviously a significant supplier to Costco and has been since 2004 so Costco accountants would have looked over the Hydrospa financial statements VERY carefully when they first signed up and would continue to do so up to the present. You can say a lot of things about Costco but they didn't get to where they are today by entering into partnerships with financially-weak suppliers. The reason is obvious...Costco doesn't want to be stuck without a supplier if they go under and they don't want to be selling stuff made by a company that goes under. Since Hydrospa has been a Costco supplier for several years, their balance sheet is likely to actually be rather strong, your FUD notwithstanding. So who exactly do you work for, unhappyhydroFUDgirl?

Who cares who works for who, just return the spa and tell us which one. I checked seattle area rtv for Costco and in the last 12 months, no elite or Legend spa spa retuned. I can verify your story if you let us know the city of your return. I don't need any more info as it is 2007 you know!

That's something I'd also like to know, for sure. There's probably just one Canadian tub being passed around between the alleged 'unhappy owners' as a cost-saving measure by the FUD campaign. It seems as though as soon as one of the 'unhappy owners' is done posting their dozens of posts, another steps up as a tag-team member and starts in. Let's see two of them allegedly each return a tub SIMULTANEOUSLY.

OK, you got us Canadians; we're really evil aliens out to control the hot tub world. We use our ray guns to shrink the hot tubs so we can fit them in our pouches and then we teleport over to another city and we unshrink the hot tubs and a fellow evil Canadian alien uses the exact same excuse to further our domination of the hot tub world.

Shame on us evil alien Canadians; now we are going to have to focus on beer and hockey domination of the world.