Best Costco Spa

I am in the market for a portable spa in the Massachusetts area. Over the past few weeks I have looked at some great spas - my favorites so far are: HotSpring, Caldera, Tiger River and Sundance. I discovered that the first 3 are all made by Watkins and have great reputations. Prices for the models I was interested in range from $6.5K to $8.5K.

I have been reading this forum and have seen the posts regarding Costco spas - both pro and con. I checked out Costco.com and found they sell the Highlife - a 6 person spa - by you guessed it - HotSpring Spas. Price is $5699.00 delivered.

For less money and more features, Costco offers the Discovery 400 NLXE at $4499.99. This is a 7 person spa with 39 jets, color changing LED, CD stereo, waterfall, etc. WOW.

I know from reading this forum that all the spa dealers will jump or over the Costco spas with fear, uncertainty and doubt. But - the Highlife is made by HotSpring/Watkins and they make great products. The Discovery probably can't be beat for features/price - and if it turns out to be a POS - simply return it with the famous Costo complete satisfaction warranty and get something else.

Opinions?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going the costco.com route then do yourself a favor. Save yourself the grief and buy what is the known product, the one made by Hot Spring. Just be aware, a true Hot Spring Spa comes with a much stronger warranty and their are other differences...not in quality, but in features between the Highlife and the dealer's Hot Spring Spa.

If you are going the costco.com route then do yourself a favor. Save yourself the grief and buy what is the known product, the one made by Hot Spring. Just be aware, a true Hot Spring Spa comes with a much stronger warranty and their are other differences...not in quality, but in features between the Highlife and the dealer's Hot Spring Spa.

There is a significant price difference between cotsco's HS and a dealers HS. Generally it is a better idea to buy it from a dealer.

Could you please explain how the Hotspring Limited Warranty (5 years) is better than the Costco complete customer satisfaction, return it at any time for any reason warranty?

FUD, FUD, FUD, and more FUD.

There is a significant price difference between cotsco's HS and a dealers HS. Generally it is a better idea to buy it from a dealer.

I"m willing to pay a slight premium to deal with a reputable dealer - but why pay significantly more to buy from a dealer when the Costco offers what amounts to a lifetime warranty? Please explain - I am a reaonable person and willing to listen.

If you need a repair after year 1 and you choose to keep your spa, you will pay for parts and labor for the service call on the Costco.com Highlife spa. Parts and labor covered if a dealer based Hot Spring spa. However, for the price difference you can pay for a lot of service calls.

How would you return a spa to Costco? How ethical would it be to return the spa after a year?

No FUDs intended. Simply education and disclosure. Given your posts, I would recommend you get the Highlife and enjoy it.

If you need a repair after year 1 and you choose to keep your spa, you will pay for parts and labor for the service call on the Costco.com Highlife spa. Parts and labor covered if a dealer based Hot Spring spa. However, for the price difference you can pay for a lot of service calls.

How would you return a spa to Costco? How ethical would it be to return the spa after a year?

No FUDs intended. Simply education and disclosure. Given your posts, I would recommend you get the Highlife and enjoy it.

I returned a TV 1 1/2 years after I purchased it and got a full refund. I asked a friend of mine who works in Costco corporate how long and he said 'as long as its in their computer system they will give a refund, there is no time limit except on computers'. So, there is no 1 year limit to return and ethics play no part. Its just the policy and if you chose to take advantage of it or not. He said the people who abuse the system the most are the management that works there. He says they return computers just before their 6 month limit and keep getting new ones..

I"m willing to pay a slight premium to deal with a reputable dealer - but why pay significantly more to buy from a dealer when the Costco offers what amounts to a lifetime warranty? Please explain - I am a reaonable person and willing to listen.

That is a very good question. I don't know if I have a complete answer, but here is a list of things you would get by buying from a HS dealer that you don't get from Costco:

• Color choice
  • Ozone ($400)
  • Full Delivery ($150 give or take)
  • Subpanel ($200)
  • Chem kit ($30-50)
  • Better Cabinet
  • More cabinet color choices as well
  • longer/better warranty ($250 for one circ pump replacement)
  • a dealer who can and will help (Priceless)

Just totalling up the list above is something like a thousand dollars - plus you get the choice of the full line of spas including Tiger River Spas and Solana. And the cover lift included with the Costco unit is the very low end of the scale - dealer would allow choices in that realm.

That is a very good question. I don't know if I have a complete answer, but here is a list of things you would get by buying from a HS dealer that you don't get from Costco:

Color choice

Ozone ($400)

Full Delivery ($150 give or take)

Subpanel ($200)

Chem kit ($30-50)

Better Cabinet

More cabinet color choices as well

longer/better warranty ($250 for one circ pump replacement)

a dealer who can and will help (Priceless)

Just totalling up the list above is something like a thousand dollars - plus you get the choice of the full line of spas including Tiger River Spas and Solana. And the cover lift included with the Costco unit is the very low end of the scale - dealer would allow choices in that realm.

Or go buy a Tiger River Bengal for about the same price as the Cosco spa and get all of the above. Plus free water testing from a dealer,and a bigger pump sytem.

Hello!

My opinion is to ignore all of these nay-sayers and buy the Costco one that is made by Watkins. Report back after a few weeks,months, etc. and let us know how it went.

As a buyer, I'd be interested in knowing if you found a high-quality, low-priced product.

Go for it. The worst thing that could happen would be you will be out a few hours of effort in installing and removing the spa.

Hello!

My opinion is to ignore all of these nay-sayers and buy the Costco one that is made by Watkins. Report back after a few weeks,months, etc. and let us know how it went.

As a buyer, I'd be interested in knowing if you found a high-quality, low-priced product.

Go for it. The worst thing that could happen would be you will be out a few hours of effort in installing and removing the spa.

I don't think anyone is being a nay sayer, they are just tring to explain the differant options available and what you are getting , not getting with those options.

Hello!

I agree. Go for it! I also agree with Guzz, we are not nay sayers.

As a Hot Spring dealer who has chosen to participate with delivery and service when spas are sold through costco.com in our area, I, too, am interested to hear how the process works for you.

I agree. Go for it! I also agree with Guzz, we are not nay sayers.

As a Hot Spring dealer who has chosen to participate with delivery and service when spas are sold through costco.com in our area, I, too, am interested to hear how the process works for you.

From another consumers point of view, I would go for it. This looks like a pretty good deal on a quality tub, even the HS sales folks think so. This being a one pump tub it isn't going to have super stellar water movement, but to tell you the truth I don't think many users really use a multiple pump tub going full bore for very long periods anyway. I would surely go with the 240 electrical conversion so that you can heat while running the tub in the winter. All in all it looks like a good deal to me. Let us know how you like it if you decide to purchase.

From another consumers point of view, I would go for it. This looks like a pretty good deal on a quality tub, even the HS sales folks think so. This being a one pump tub it isn't going to have super stellar water movement, but to tell you the truth I don't think many users really use a multiple pump tub going full bore for very long periods anyway. I would surely go with the 240 electrical conversion so that you can heat while running the tub in the winter. All in all it looks like a good deal to me. Let us know how you like it if you decide to purchase.

I agree, I sold this spa when it was the Sovereign Limited edition, though this model has a smaller pump and 220v is the way to go. You also may want to contact a local dealer and get the ozone system.

I agree, I sold this spa when it was the Sovereign Limited edition, though this model has a smaller pump and 220v is the way to go. You also may want to contact a local dealer and get the ozone system.

Everyone - thanks for all the great information. I can get any of the fitst 3 for about the same price so it is decision time. All come with delivery, cover, lift, steps, start-up chemicals, etc. What would you do?

1. Highlife by Hotspring from Costco. Hotspring quality with Costo lifetime satisfaction warranty. Unknown Question is the cost to convert to 220. Warranty is only 1 year, but service comes from local dealer.

2. Tiger River Bengal from local dealer. Quality spa from Watkins that makes Hotsprings. Local dealer support and 5 year warranty.

3. Caldera Martinique from a different local dealer. Quality spa from Watkins that makes Hotsprings. Local dealer support and 5 year warranty. 2 pumps (will I notice?)

4. Pay about $500 additional and get a Hotspring Prodigy. Smaller spa, more money, possibly better?

Suggestions?

Everyone - thanks for all the great information. I can get any of the fitst 3 for about the same price so it is decision time. All come with delivery, cover, lift, steps, start-up chemicals, etc. What would you do?

1. Highlife by Hotspring from Costco. Hotspring quality with Costo lifetime satisfaction warranty. Unknown Question is the cost to convert to 220. Warranty is only 1 year, but service comes from local dealer.

2. Tiger River Bengal from local dealer. Quality spa from Watkins that makes Hotsprings. Local dealer support and 5 year warranty.

3. Caldera Martinique from a different local dealer. Quality spa from Watkins that makes Hotsprings. Local dealer support and 5 year warranty. 2 pumps (will I notice?)

4. Pay about $500 additional and get a Hotspring Prodigy. Smaller spa, more money, possibly better?

Suggestions?

I think all these tubs are pretty comparable, I might personally lean toward the Caldera because it has two pumps and there is some difference in overall water movement that the spa will make with two compared with one. This is especially the case when they have nearly the same number of jets overall. One concern with the Caldera is that the lounger appears very short, it looks suited for a lady or smaller person. That being said all the spas on your wish list have fairly shallow sides, I am a little over 6' myself and would prefer something a couple inches deeper myself. One spa which may be just a bit higher priced is the Tiger River Caspian, no lounger but has 36" sides, two pumps and many nice Hot Springs inherited features. I could fit in it nicely myself and thought this was a great looking tub for the money. There are many things to consider when buying, most are going to be based on your own personal preferences. Size is a pretty important consideration, nothing worse than having your shoulders out in the cold in the dead of winter. Try them and buy the one you like most, they are all pretty comparable.

Any decision yet?

No, however leaning toward the Caldera Martinique.

I hope my store does not participate in the Highlife debauchle.

Why? I spoke to one store owner who believes it will create additional installation, service and accessory sales from a segment of the population that would not normally come into his store - and likes to buy from big box retailers.

I am in sales. I am losing a commision. I work for a living. How does the salesperson benefit from such an idiotic idea?

Well, if they are considering the costco spa, they may come into your store to do some comparison shopping, at that point you have the opportunity to sell them one of your budget priced spas, or even up sell to a premium featured spa. If they buy the costco spa, they will probably come to you for spa supplies, at which time you can ask for referals from them, after you have shown them what a knowledgable and helpful fellow you are.

I would think this would be a good thing for dealers. If you are in business for the long haul I don't see how getting more people into hot tubs could possible be a bad thing. You would get the extra business from chemicals and other things as another post said and not to mention if you do a good job supporting the person they would probably buy thier next hot tub from you. Not to mention another happy customer refering friends and family to your dealership.

I would think this would be a good thing for dealers. If you are in business for the long haul I don't see how getting more people into hot tubs could possible be a bad thing. You would get the extra business from chemicals and other things as another post said and not to mention if you do a good job supporting the person they would probably buy thier next hot tub from you. Not to mention another happy customer refering friends and family to your dealership.

Yes, I agree, Grahamtasia, you seem a little negative, every cloud has a silver linning.