Insurance Without Fence

wantaspa

I'm trying to avoid building a fence around my new pool and spoil the backyard view. I am installing an automatic cover that will locked. Has anyone does an automatic pool cover as safety option and in lieu of installing a fence around the pool? And had your insurance company accept the cover over the fence?

I'm trying to avoid building a fence around my new pool and spoil the backyard view. I am installing an automatic cover that will locked. Has anyone does an automatic pool cover as safety option and in lieu of installing a fence around the pool? And had your insurance company accept the cover over the fence?

In our experience no insurance company will accept an automatic cover in lieu of a fence. The problem is a cover can be left open and vulnerable to kids or animals wandering in. In our area a fence is required along with a spring loaded self latching gate so that the gate cant be left open accidentally.

In our experience no insurance company will accept an automatic cover in lieu of a fence. The problem is a cover can be left open and vulnerable to kids or animals wandering in. In our area a fence is required along with a spring loaded self latching gate so that the gate cant be left open accidentally.

Don't worry about the insurance, you'll never get a permit without a fence.

Actually, it completely depends on your local city codes. I live in Arizona and in my particular city I don't have to have a fence around the pool. But I am required to have all doors leading to the backyard self-closing and self-latching. And any windows leading to the backyard must have a second latch 54" above the finished floor. And of course the backyard has to be fenced in.

Check your local code for options.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to put in an automatic cover as well, we are in the design phase. What have you come up with? From what I saw they are all systems that install above the pool. I wanted one that installs above the water line (obviously) and below the coping. I have most of it figured out, because I was not able to find anyone who makes a unit like this.

• 5 weeks later...

You're in luck. You're on the internet which means it will be no hassle for you to go to your city's webpage and READ YOUR LOCAL ORDINANCES.........

Most cities have "attractive nuisance" laws and pools and trampolines have long been the culprit of some really nasty law suits.

I'll be honest with you, having a pool in your yard without a fence around it would make you a fool. I'm not trying to be mean, just being up front and honest with you. You're just inviting trouble. Every kid in your neighborhood would be sneaking back there for a quick dip. Hell, even a few of the craftier ones could even manage to remove your cover. Of course they can jump a fence but in a law suit that would show their intent to tresspass on your property.

No insurance company will cover you if you are in VIOLATION of your local codes involving that pool. So, check them out. If you can't find a webpage call the city engineer......he'll probably call you something more harsh than a fool though for even thinking that.

Take my advice, spring for the fence. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Jerry.

my insurance company told me that i had to have a fence around the pool as well as a fenced in yard which i already have. I did not believe him so iI asked him again and he confirmed. People around here say that is not true. But maybe it has to do with hurricane katrina. My insurance co. is not writing any new policys. But since I have a five year old, I really do not have a problem with it at all. But is someone jumps the fences I will be liable.