220v Spa Wiring Question

Taddtx

I have purchased a Sundance Cameo. Im currently working on putting in pavers for the Spa. The electric is next. I have 2 quotes. Once for $889 and the other about $1050. Its a 100' run for the panel to the spa.

the 889 guy said he would trench from the panel to the spa, put in all in conduit and mount the quick disconnect on the side of the spa. That is the part that I wasn't to sure about. I think thats where he will put the GFI.

Not sure what the other guy plans, all he told me was $600 for hte first 25' and $6 / foot after that. he didnt even look at anything, it was over hte phone.

SO.

1. do you have to have a quick disconnect and where should it be.

2. Where is the best place for the GFI?

THanks

You can't put the GFI next to the tub (here anyways) It should be well away from the tub. Remeber anything before the GFI is not protected so you want to protect as much as you can. I was going to do the disconnect also but the electrical inspector in my area told me that a little moisture got into his and tripped the GFI. It was winter and he didn't notice for a while. There was no damage. Mine is inside my house in a sub panel. There are a few different ways and I'm not an electrician.

I have purchased a Sundance Cameo. Im currently working on putting in pavers for the Spa. The electric is next. I have 2 quotes. Once for $889 and the other about $1050. Its a 100' run for the panel to the spa.

the 889 guy said he would trench from the panel to the spa, put in all in conduit and mount the quick disconnect on the side of the spa. That is the part that I wasn't to sure about. I think thats where he will put the GFI.

THanks

Your local codes may be different, but in most places there's a certain range in which you're supposed to put the disconnect - like 6-8 feet from your tub. The idea is that you shouldn't be able to reach it from inside the tub, but someone nearby outside the tub should be able to reach it easily.

Good luck with your Cameo!

ok i learned a little more today, talking to the maintenance manager here at work. He tell me, put the GFI breaker in the box, then you just need a service disconnect (guess this is teh quick disconnect)near the spa.

He said the disconnect could even be inside the spa skirt, next to teh pump, assuming there is room. or outside where ever. but if its outside, it will need to be in water tight box.

So I am still confused where this disconnect should be. Electricion wanted to just attach to to the side of the spa. but i here it should be so many feet away. so what the truth here???

Does anyone put a GFI breaker in the service panel, plus one in the discnnect box?

thanks for the help

The GFCI can go into your panel, inside the house, if you want. The quick disconnect does not go into the skirt. It must go a minimum of 5 feet away from the tub, and not more than 10 or 15 feet away depending on locality. If you have a reputable electrician, he should know this. If you want, check with your town electrical inspector.

The GFCI can go into your panel, inside the house, if you want.

By code, it can go into your main panel inside your house, however, many report cases of false trips. The preferred method is a combination disconnect panel that houses a GFCI breaker in it.

It must go a minimum of 5 feet away from the tub, and not more than 10 or 15 feet away depending on locality.

As SugarBear wrote, this disconnect panel (by NEC 2005 code), cannot be located any closer than 5 feet from the tub. Other parts of the code state that the disconnect must be within line of site. Check with your local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) what the maximum distance is. This usually varies by local codes

If you have a reputable electrician, he should know this. If you want, check with your town electrical inspector.

Agreed.

Ken

My previous post may have answered your questions, but I'll answer them specifically here.

Yes - by Code, you have to have a spa disconnect. The disconnect must be no closer than 5 feet (measured horizontally) from the inside wall of the spa. The disconnect must be within line of sight of the spa and must be readily accessible.

2. Where is the best place for the GFI?

The best place for the GFCI is within the spa disconnect. There are many vendors selling spa disconnects with built-in GFCI breakers already. For especially long wiring runs from the main service panel to the spa, there have been reports of false tripping of the GFCI. Note, however, that having the GFCI in the main panel is perfectly acceptable by code.

Integrated GFCI spa disconnects retail for about $100-$150.

Ken

I only recommend having a GFCI load centre either siemens or SquareD outside. It makes things easier for the tech and trouble shooting. I am also hearing in Canada that regulations will be coming in where panels or GFCI will require a lockout procedure much like in industrial settings when working on a spa.

A disconnect can be installed inside the hot tub equipment area. The problem is the codes are open to interpretation with each individual inspector. There are about 30 different ways to do it and all could be right depending on who is doing the final inspection.

well guess i will forget about the guy with the cheaper bid. Apparently he does not know what he is doing. I would rather spend a little more and get it done right and have confidence that it is.

so from all this i gather, service disconnect is to be from5 to 15 feet from the spa and with in site.

the gfci breaker can be in the house service panel or the service disconnect near the sap, later desired.

I have learned from you guys, Thanks