First Timer

flibotte

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say first timer really doesn't like the Costco spa. It made me think of the scene in Office Space where they hate the office fax machine that always jams on them so much they steal it and bring it to a field and smash it to bits. Maybe that would help First Timer. It would also be a good test of the costco return policy. bring what's left of the tub in a wheelbarrow to customer service.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say first timer really doesn't like the Costco spa. It made me think of the scene in Office Space where they hate the office fax machine that always jams on them so much they steal it and bring it to a field and smash it to bits. Maybe that would help First Timer. It would also be a good test of the costco return policy. bring what's left of the tub in a wheelbarrow to customer service.

I know when Costco was selling the "Twist-n-Go" scooter I heard there were some people that would buy one, take it out and wreck it (totalled) then bring it back for a full refund. They would get their refund 'no questions asked' because that is the policy. This is rare, but it does happen......

First Timer has no credibility as far as his knowledge of the Costco tub just by how much mis-information he has spewed. I have visited a Nissan dealer and have seen their cars it doesn't qualify me to make judgements on their quality.... Maybe if I actually drove one then I could make an intellegent comment on the Nissan. I don't know what FT's personal beef is with those tubs or maybe its just that anti-Big Box thing.

Hey, cool. I have my very own thread. How nice of you do that. I love office space the movie. I own it on DVD and watch it all the time. Hmmm, a costco tub, a baseball bat ans some cool rap music int he background. I could go for that. Well, not really. I think some people her are misunderstanding me. Yes, its very obvious that from my posts that I hate the csotco tub. I do think it is junk. However, dont get me wrong. It has its place for those that want to go that route. Its not not for me. The anger part comes from the people that want to try and compare it to the higher end tubs thinking they got the exact same thing but for half the price. Its just not true. NO high end tub maker would ever put their name on that thing. That is my anger as you guys seem to call it. I cam here to discuss real hot tubs here, not to get tied up into the debate over the whole generic costco tub thing even though as you can see I have. Some of my previous posts may help explain this a little better. I think most of my respect is for Nyghtrider I believe because while he has one, I believe that he is the one that reffered to the costco tub for a do it yourself person. Sometimes these forum sites get mis interpreted. While words may make it sound like I am shaking my fist at the computer, I am really not even at all like that. I just say what I feel. Thats the point of being on the net. I dont have hide my true feelings in a lame attempt to make someone feel better.

As for you Jack L, I dont really understand your whole Nissan car analogy as well as you may like. I did car sales and am very knowledgable about cars since it is my passion. I can tell high quality in a car, many times before driving one so you may want to come up with something a little better than that. As for what qualifies me to look at a Costco tub and ditinguish its build quality at lowsey, well, I am a Mechanical Engineer for starts. That might help qualify me. I study flow analysis and heat transfer as well as material sciences. Hmmm, getting warmer for you? Well, if that doesnt do it then maybe you should come on over to my local costco where you see the large gaps in the cabinet structure alone, and if you ask nicely you too can play with the speakers when they fall in your hand. To better reply to your confused statement, I dont need to sit in the costco tub to know that it was put together very poorly. Costco displays that just fine for me along with alot of their other products. I think costco is great for foods, regular supplies, gas and even some small electronics but not hot tubs.

As for you Jack L, I dont really understand your whole Nissan car analogy as well as you may like. I did car sales and am very knowledgable about cars since it is my passion. I can tell high quality in a car, many times before driving one so you may want to come up with something a little better than that. As for what qualifies me to look at a Costco tub and ditinguish its build quality at lowsey, well, I am a Mechanical Engineer for starts. That might help qualify me. I study flow analysis and heat transfer as well as material sciences. Hmmm, getting warmer for you? Well, if that doesnt do it then maybe you should come on over to my local costco where you see the large gaps in the cabinet structure alone, and if you ask nicely you too can play with the speakers when they fall in your hand. To better reply to your confused statement, I dont need to sit in the costco tub to know that it was put together very poorly. Costco displays that just fine for me along with alot of their other products. I think costco is great for foods, regular supplies, gas and even some small electronics but not hot tubs.

Unless your a mechanical engineer in the spa field I don't think that automatically qualifies you as an expert. Some of these guys here that are spa tech's and work on them would be more credible. The Costco tub is not a 'generic', but is made by a known manufacturer that has been around a long time. If a display tub in a store that is seen by hundreds/thousands of folks, climbed on by kids and who knows what else has parts broken or fallen off that does not mean it will fall apart at the home.

This Costco thread stuff has been interesting, but its getting old. If these tubs were as bad as your expertise says they are, it seems you might find just one bad or disgruntled comment from an actual owner. Instead everyone on here that owns one loves it. Doesn't make too much sense now does it?

FT, do you own a tub?

Unless your a mechanical engineer in the spa field I don't think that automatically qualifies you as an expert. Some of these guys here that are spa tech's and work on them would be more credible. The Costco tub is not a 'generic', but is made by a known manufacturer that has been around a long time. If a display tub in a store that is seen by hundreds/thousands of folks, climbed on by kids and who knows what else has parts broken or fallen off that does not mean it will fall apart at the home.

This Costco thread stuff has been interesting, but its getting old. If these tubs were as bad as your expertise says they are it seems you might find just one bad or disgruntled comment from an actual owner. Instead everyone on here that owns one loves it. Doesn't make too much sense now does it?

FT, do you own a tub?

That is a very creditable point that jack brings up. The Cotsco tub is a great beginners tub but when you need the service, where is it? 2 yr warranty for parts and you are able to return the tub if you dont like it.

That is a very creditable point that jack brings up. The Cotsco tub is a great beginners tub but when you need the service, where is it? 2 yr warranty for parts and you are able to return the tub if you dont like it.

My idea is to call a service person and pay him $200 out of the $3000 to $4000 I saved in the first place. Seems that should last for quite a few years.

My idea is to call a service person and pay him $200 out of the $3000 to $4000 I saved in the first place. Seems that should last for quite a few years.

So take the 200 for service X the # of times it breaks, add the cost of delivery, the cost to add foam, the additional cost to keep it running compared to a quality tub, add the cost of a replacement in 5 years or less and that = a person out more money trying to save a buck or two on the largest purchase they make besides a home and car. Funny at how the math adds up. And in the end, all you have is a generic hot tub while you could have had a quality tub all along. Hmmm, I know which way I would go, or shall I say did go.

• 3 weeks later...

So take the 200 for service X the # of times it breaks, add the cost of delivery, the cost to add foam, the additional cost to keep it running compared to a quality tub, add the cost of a replacement in 5 years or less and that = a person out more money trying to save a buck or two on the largest purchase they make besides a home and car. Funny at how the math adds up. And in the end, all you have is a generic hot tub while you could have had a quality tub all along. Hmmm, I know which way I would go, or shall I say did go.

You have to pay Master for them to have less foam.